Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
All of the aforementioned, but most specific in terms of theme with Zoro it's referencing the 108 Earthly Desires one overcomes in the path of enlightenment in Buddhism. A lot of Zoro's attacks on top of being pun based are also Demon or religion based in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Arist posted:

Are the raws out yet?

Yeh they out. Pic isn't the best quality though and was thinking of consulting them as well.

https://mangahelpers.com/forum/threads/one-piece-chapter-984-pics-summaries.3016699/

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mraagvpeine posted:

I heard someone say that Yamato is a chuuni. I don't know what that is exactly so I don't know if I agree or not.

Easiest compare and contrast would be HS emo or goth edgelords with nicknames like Gemini, Nightshade, Echo Noir and other stuff like that. Wildstyle from the first Lego Movie is actually a pretty decent western example to explain the concept.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Last Celebration posted:

Knowing Oda and especially looking at the early names (Zoro = Zorro probably and also a famous French pirate, Nami is just nami, the Japanese word for wave and she’s a navigator lady, Usopp is uso (liar) and Aesop) I think it’s probable that Sanji’s named after that but idk the other stuff. And I could even be wrong on that, lots of people used to think Luffy’s name was taken from luff.

If I recall, his name is a pun about 3 O'clock tea time.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Huge missed opportunity to have had actual nudes drawn by Oda himself. Granted there's likely a LOT of red tape to navigate there so it would likely be more regular ecchi drawings.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 25, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

LostRook posted:

The article mentions the sexy Chopper cosplay which is weird enough, but fails to mention the sexy Senor Pink that shows up in the video.

I'm gonna rec that as a Halloween costume to my friend. Either that or Franky with the nipple lights turned on.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tir McDohl posted:

Saw this part again in the anime recently and all of the Straw Hats heard it. Dunno if that was anime filler or not.

They all heard it. The part with Noah wasn't Noah speaking, but the Sea Kings. Merry was a manifestation of the ships spirit. It's why even the Galley-La guys are surprised since it's the first time they've seen something like it in person.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gyges posted:

They really didn't want the ship destroyed, so of course they said it. Same as when you see your puppy going to town with your shoe in his mouth, or your cat staring at you while sitting beside a glass at the edge of the table.

Also they sort of kind of thought he heard them earlier, like when Roger heard them.

This. They comment that they didn't really expect him to hear them and how it was familiar to that other pirate(Roger) that seemed to hear them. Reason why Luffy stops aside from them speaking was Shirahosi telling him it's over since they were holding Noah aloft.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Meme Emulator posted:

I dont know why but when I play back aces death in my head that doctor who sees aces wound and just goes "uh oh I dont think I can do anything" wasnt just some faceless guy from the WB pirates. For some reason I remember that doctor as being the goat thats helping out Chopper right now in Wano. Like, I know thats a faulty memory, but my brain refuses to admit it.

Pretty sure the doctor was Ivankov no?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Len posted:

I mean they're bigger than drat near everything else so going through is always an option

Are the movies with checking out?

Strong World onward are all solid.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I actually think Sanji fights either King or Queen since aren't btoh connected to his dad via science stuff?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

DizzyBum posted:

Yeah, it's pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLivdpRo5tM

Looking forward to someone making an animated "Roger Didn't Laugh" edit.

One Piece really IS an International Treasure isn't it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Boba Pearl posted:

This anime is so good. Even Usopp managed to do something cool, I was expecting for him to be worthless for a long time, but the whole "I have to prove I can do it," like as far as I understand, it's pretty hard to take down a fishman. Like just in awe that he doesn't suck for another 100 more episodes or something. On episode 45, and honestly I think I'm going to watch the filler as long as it's just the personalities doing poo poo.

Boba Pearl posted:

The thing with Sanjin v Zoro when it came to the eating thing, is that it kind of fed into what Usop / Luffy said during the Arlong fight, everyone is good at something, and Zoro's ability to go on a hunger strike is completely different then Sanji's, because Sanji has different powers or abilities or whatever. Like that's his whole thing is he's the food guy.

It'll take me a bit, but I can come up with a nice chart on episodes since a lot of filler is...oof. Not to mention conflicts with canon or breaks in the pacing. Some of the special episodes are pretty solid, though I'm not sure if they're dubbed.

Edit: About the food thing, the human body can go three weeks without food so in a series as absurd and fantastical as One Piece it should slide. People have an issue with it because it's Zoro not being perfect and flawless at some feat or other and people take issue with that.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Last Celebration posted:

Little Buggy’s Big Adventure is canon, lol. Well kinda, it’s a story from the manga that was pretty much told through wordless images with captions to explain what was happening that replaced the random piece of art most mangaka put in the first page of the issue. But yeah, it’s a lot slower than it needs to be iirc even if it’s actually gonna be important in a bit so maybe Google “cover arcs” to just read the rest.

Mulderman posted:

The only filler arc that is required watching is the G-8 arc

This.