Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

RealFoxy posted:

:allears: I love when someone starts to read the series for the first time. :justpost: I love seeing people's early speculation when they start reading.

Well that's what I did over the past couple of months. I have been aware of One Piece for years but being that the Shonen Jump digital subscription has the entire series to read I figured it was a good way to pass time while my job didn't exist due to COVID.

As being an old shonen manga fan since the 70s, this really is peak stuff. I recently tried to do some catch up on Dragon Ball (I followed the original manga back in the day, so I haven't read any since Z ended in, what, 1991 or so?) and found that it got to be TOO over the top, being that there were multiple universes that started being destroyed. Eh. Dragon Ball was better when it was funny. But OP keeps the thrills going by keeping the threats on a relatable level, having characters that are simply people that are interacting with these wild pirates and actually being threatened by the villains. And man, the villains are really loving easy to hate; they are SUCH pieces of poo poo it's amazing.

My only real question is: how much time has passed since the first chapter? I figured it was at least 2 or 3 years before the 2 year time jump, and at least a year or so since then. It seems rather vague.

I'm totally team Chopper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

The entire first part takes place within one year.

Ok, I can see that since they are deliberately looking for poo poo to do constantly. I guess I'm used to in-between time but honestly these people aren't loving around.

Funky Valentine posted:

I think the general ballpark that fan calculations have come up with is that everything up to the timeskip took place over the course of like four months?

:psyduck: Good lord

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

There is always Berserk. But again, breaks.

edit: jesus, 31 years so far on that one. This month is the anniversary.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Snazzy Frocks posted:

The key to berserk is to forget about berserk for a couple of years at a time

Considering that I read all of Once Piece over a couple month period, I can feel that.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I was thinking maybe Sazae-San was longer, but the manga was from 1946-1974. On the other hand, the anime of it has been running nonstop since 1969

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I mean, Kiku is tall looking so to speak then you look it up and she's 9.5' so it's all relative I guess.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Is Oda still using physical medium or has he gone digital? In the most recent story there was a castle in the background that doesn't look like it could have been done with even the smallest of G Pens but could have been easily achieved using Clip Studio Paint. OTOH it could have also been a drawing that was copied down in size and pasted to a board.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Strelok604 posted:

"animal kingdom pirates"? really? that sounds like something out of a kids zoology book

One Piece is a story for children, so sure.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jose posted:

Stupid question as I am drunk. What confirmed devil fruit would you want irl and why

Some kind of Longevity fruit so I could take care of animals for centuries.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Wait, which is the doodle doodle fruit?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Larryb posted:

If I remember right one of the Baroque Works members had it (I believe it was a girl that used paint in some fashion).

AH! Right! Thanks

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Everyone's good though except the ones who are bad.

:hmmyes:

Even the villains are good even though I loving hate so many of them.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The fact that Sanji is stuck in a room with a ton of actual Yokai is giving me life.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Raposa posted:

Theres a pretty good theory on reddit that based on her fruit, how Oda has consistently portrayed her in the style of the other kind of famous japanese play style which name escapes me at the moment but uses giant puppets, even the noise her shamisen makes; all of this feeds into this theory that the big Black Maria we've seen all this time is a puppet controlled by the actual Maria spider. This also allows Oda to make her look like a Yokai of some kind, from what I understand.

Bunraku.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/adlubescence/status/1338227627195297794?s=20

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dang

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Voted Chopper :colbert:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Cat Machine posted:

I voted for Luffy :)

A solid choice :hmmyes:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oda is masterful at redeeming characters that you hate (Bon Clay :discourse: ) and making really hateful villains some of the most despicable pieces of poo poo imaginable and have no chance of redemption ever as well.

I hope Big Mom loving dies is what I'm saying.

edit: not by Luffy's hand though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I have enough burning hatred to go around to all of those bastards.

edit: the Celestial Dragons, Big Mom, etc, not our heroes

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Zakutambah posted:

Speaking of villains, Queen has to be one of the best Oda has introduced. He's such a sadistic son of a bitch, his over the top reactions are hilarious, and he turns into a brachiosaurus. It's all gold.

I know King is meant to be the "strongest" of the Lead Performers, but Queen really does just steal the whole show right now.

Agreed - and I love how he's kind of a parody of Heart from Fist of the North Star as well

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also, since I'm a manga reader and not a watcher of the anime (except a couple movies) I think I want to watch the Thriller Bark arc to see what it's like compared to my inner head voices etc.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mulderman posted:

Thoughts on the Shokugeki no Sanji chapter? I really loved it. Made Sanji look cool again.

I really liked it. Great art, great expansion of characters, and simply really a lot of fun.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Prediction: One Piece will run longer than Golgo 13 and Oda will keep saying how the ending is coming soon for the next 35 years

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

ChaseSP posted:

Man Don Kreig was such a special scumbag at the time and seeing him get the poo poo beaten was the best.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Breaking up spoiler talk (I ain't reading them) with an interesting answer to my previous question: apparently Oda does layout digitally, then uses the layout with a lightbox/table to finish the art with pen and ink on paper. :)

https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1350008346842042368?s=20

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Lmao that chapter fukkin owned

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

CodfishCartographer posted:

Poll results so far

I’m honestly surprised that Sanji is beating Nami. Also I’m down with Carrot beating Nami as well

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Never. :colbert:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Julias posted:

Yeah, it was funny reading the old thread because the previous chapter ends with ace getting fisted, and a bunch of people were in denial that Ace was going to die. Then the title of the next chapter got leaked and people flipped out.

I didn't know we were talking about Tumblr posts here.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also, since I plowed through the entirety of OP last year due to lockdown I've forgotten a few things here and there. Is Carrot considered one of the crew now or still just along for the adventure for the time being?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

As somebody who's been aware of One Piece for decades but never got around to reading it because there was so much backlog it was intimidating and then during lockdown realized it was all available through my Shonen Jump subscription and tore through it's entirety in 3 months, it's wild when I read people mention that X character last did Y thing/made an appearance something like 10 years ago.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jose posted:

forgot how good this is

Yeah it is. drat. This series owns so much.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mabels big day posted:

orochi cannot die because he needs to see his dreams crushed before his eyes as momo becomes shogun

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Eggplant Squire posted:

Honestly having a big bad get knocked out by a well coordinated strike quickly would be incredibly refreshing instead of a prolonged battle of attrition.

Yeah I honestly hate Big Mom and would enjoy her just dying now.

It's not going to happen or anything but hey.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ubiquitus posted:

What? You hate Big Mom as she’s written, or her character?

Either way. What?

Her character. She's just a horrible, horrible person and I find nothing redeeming about her. She's just goddamned evil. She's incredibly well written though because I have a visceral hate for a lot of the villains of One Piece because they are made to be hated a lot of the time (I feel the same hatred for Dolflamingo). Some villains are definitely redeemed in great ways (Bon Clay is a favorite of mine) but Big Mom just seems to be made to be hated.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bisse posted:

I thought I had seen everything with the full-on-diarrhea "Griffith and Guts are equally bad" take in the Berserk thread but this is just, wow.

lol no Griffith is horrible also.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh yeah, she's an amazing villain. I hate her. Oda is a great writer.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Arist posted:

ONE PIECE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Starsfan posted:

I just relate alot more to a bunch of the other characters on the crew. I've always found some aspects of Luffy's character really frustrating to deal with, in a way that's pretty real - I mean obviously Oda intentionally made this character with alot of flaws and as my first exposure to the series was through watching the anime some of those flaws are magnified and drawn out to the point that they became very grating. After hearing from everyone about how great the Impel Down / Marinford arc was with Luffy on his own fighting to save his brother, i was kind of surprised how much I just wanted to get back to having all the crew together so I could spend more time with Nami, Robin, Usopp, Franky and Zoro.

It's not that i find him hateable or anything like that, but he's not my favorite part of the story.

Yeah I kind of feel the same way. I like him but he's maddening a lot of the time (all of his crew and friends yell at him for being an impulsive idiot). Hell, I felt the same way about Dragon Ball back after the time shift and it went from being a comedy adventure series to being an endless level up match of screaming. Goku became completely unrelatable and the other characters were more interesting to me.