Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jimbae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Julias posted:

I remember there were people who unironically wanted Monet to be the next crew member.

it was gross tbh

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Julias posted:

Counterpoint: kanjuro is going to die and carrot will eat his fruit and then join the straw hats

seriously how can anyone not want carrot on the crew

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

move Koala to A and Corazon to S or I will!!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah the Smoker encounter is ultimately a case of retcon stuff. Also Smoker's supposed to still be dangerous at that point in the manga and Ace just straight-up wrecking him instead of essentially negating him would have given Smoker loser stink for the entire rest of the manga instead of just post-timeskip.

With Akainu the entire point was taking the hit for Luffy and there's 0 reason to overthink it.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 21, 2020

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

NowonSA posted:

So looking at the blind read thread got me thinking. Since Kuina's family seems to have some Wano connections, and a girl who could beat Zoro 2,000 times dying from falling down stairs is lame any way you slice it (Edit: drat you'll never believe me, but this pun was not intended at all), what are the odds that her death was part of a plot by one of the baddies in this Wano arc? Zoro's always been a badass, but I could definitely sign up for him completely losing his poo poo and showing us how close to "a hero cuts up someone into tiny pieces" you can get in a shonen magazine. Oda's shown some wild writing chops, but I personally would be totally okay with him just slapping a simple "killed Kuina for reasons" tag onto one of Kaido's lieutenants and having Zoro cut that person up.

I mean, the full fanservice outcome is that Kuina's death was faked and she shows up Sabo style, but I don't think we'll see that same trick pulled twice.

I will never, ever understand the embarrassingly desperate need some people have for Kuina's death to be more than "life is hosed up and unfair and can end in an instant over the simplest things."

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

House 6 for the emergency food supply, imo

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Funky Valentine posted:

Kaidou: Stretched out over the hills and valleys of this island! That'll be your empire, son!
Yamato: But Mother -
Kaidou: Father.
Yamato: But Father, I don't want any of that. I'd rather...
Kaidou: You'd rather what?!
Yamato: I'd rather...~sing~...!
Kaidou: Stop that, stop that, you're not going into a song while I'm here.

Lancelot charging the castle from a distance away, but it's Luffy

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I enjoyed Zoro's "Oh, gently caress them then" so much

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

rannum posted:

Drake actually stands for Dr. Ake

"Red Flag" X D. Rake

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Strelok604 posted:

And here I thought Robin couldn't get more perfect

bring her tan back

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Strelok604 posted:

Every time someone says they don't like OP, but what they don't like are things that are added by the anime because it's bad, makes me annoyed

Stay out of the anime thread then because hoo loving boy lmao

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I loving died at Jimbei and Robin

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

tbf Akainu could have said whatever the gently caress he wanted about Ace and the latter almost certainly wouldn't have taken the bait.

I also imagine most of the WB pirates would have taken the same bait that Ace did.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

For me it's always gonna be Law's just due to Corazon being determined to die with a smile on his face because he doesn't want Law to think he regrets helping him.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Now that's a loving showdown setup, god loving drat.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

People in this thread hyped up Fishman Island for themselves far, far more than Oda ever did. It was the Reverse Mountain of the New World, and while ultimately much more fleshed out as a location it was never dropped as anything more than a place they'd be going.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's largely just exhausting that new chapter talk almost always directly segues into "god, you know what I loving hated?" chat every single week and it's even worse on break weeks.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I wish I'd saved the post from several, several years back where some dude straight-up said that Oda needs to start offing strawhats if he wants to be taken seriously as an author

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

euphemism posted:

since zeus got split in two and stayed that way, what are the odds nami gets half of zeus?

all roads lead to family court

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Bisse posted:

I wonder if there are Devil Veggies

All of them!!!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Robin and Jinbei continues to be the team I didn't know I needed.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It caught up to the manga and will never go on break under it's own power.

The above also certainly plays a part.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Boy I sure can't believe collective strength of will accomplished something in One Piece

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

:jerkbag:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

tbp posted:

given that oda has recently given us his all time 3 favorite one piece scenes, let's take a somethingawful one piece thread tally of the same question. bonus challenge, no honorable mentions or anything of the sort, you gotta stick with 3 scenes, that's it.

i go with:

1. "i want to live" - robin's def my favorite straw hat, this moment can make me cry re-reading it lol
2. the hour of legend - oden might be my all time favorite character design in the story, and this was truly a great reveal for how they survived
3. fisher tiger refuses the human blood - what a powerful scene and fisher tiger i think continues to top my list of favorite characters in the story as well, so he's got to make the list, another tear jerker

I think for me, and this is for the most part just restated from others, it's:

1. "I want to live"
2. Merry's funeral
3. "If you ever look back on your memories of me...I want you to remember my smile!". The Corazon flashback just genuinely hit me hard as hell at that point and that particular scene has continued to stick with me.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

Lucci wasn’t even all that good at using the Six Arts in the grand scheme of things

What

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

drjuggalo posted:

Wasn’t the whole thing about luccis martial arts being able to still demolish luffy even through his fruit

Yeah he was basically hitting through to his organs

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

YAMATOWNS

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The allosaurus loving owns

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Wachter posted:

I know it's not done for shonen sidekicks to steal thunder from the main protagonists, but come on, surely Usopp and Nami have to get some kind of power up soon? Luffy's at the point where he's taking on Yonkou; his crew shouldn't be chumped quite this easily, and especially not to the extent where they have to be rescued by a child. Their counterparts in Shanks' crew frighten Admirals

Was there someone besides Beckman that frightened an admiral (and even then its hard to tell how serious Kizaru was) because he is definitely not a counterpart to either of them.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 16, 2020

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

My general assumption for Yamato is that he'll be sticking around Wano to help Momo and co. stabilize things. There's too much personal regret there for him to just gently caress off elsewhere immediately imo.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

god snakeman is so loving cool

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Demonicpoodle posted:

For me the difference is, with Doflamingo I felt like he never should've been able to do that. The only way, to me, those strings should've been basically unbreakable is if they were coated in Haki unless I'm severely misunderstanding something about strings, I'm no string connoisseur.
And if they were coated in Haki, that should've drained Doflamingo's Haki reserves very fast. All of that with him not focusing on it either.

With Kaido, the guy's literally just so physically strong, and has the mythical power to do it, that it works for me.
Not only that, there's even a precedent for him being able to do this about 300 chapters ago! A dragon producing clouds.

Yeah basically an unbeatable, indestructible cage of strings that not even a loving Navy Admiral and someone in contention for best swordsman in the world can do anything about is not something that should have just been casually done by a Warlord.

Like in my eyes the strength of Birdcage is actually more absurd than making Onigashima float. And even if the principle of "gotta beat the source" remains the same between them, this also has the narrative benefit of not having at least two people present who should by all rights be able to directly counteract it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

Why is the birdcage a deus ex machina but kaido pulling out a "lift an island" out of his rear end isn't. It's a dumb magic power needed so that there's a time limit, every major arc has had it

This feels like a dumbass read on the problems folks had with birdcage.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah that's been not great both times its shown up.

nah it was handled perfectly fine vs. Katakuri

turns out the easy way to handle it is to not have an incredibly specific countdown and to also let Luffy continue to do things instead of being lugged around

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Strelok604 posted:

Good god that picture of anime Katakuri

Why does anyone watch the anime

ngl i get hosed up whenever i notice the anime thread has been bumped and that there are folks who only watch the anime

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

tobi roppo is a cool name

co-signin' this

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

WCI started off with them being assaulted by ocean ants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005