Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«13 »
I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

The only answer for putting down large animals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7tP9s4mm5I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Are single/double-action auto loaders safer to use than striker fired pistols? I've been looking at some of the former and they seem to have a harder initial trigger pull and safeties that would seem to make them less risky to holster than a striker pistol.

One extra safety feature of DA/SA or DAO hammer-fired guns is that you can put your thumb on the hammer while reholstering. If something gets in your trigger guard, despite all of your diligent & safe reholstering practices, your thumb will stop the hammer from moving.

There are products like the Striker Control Device for Glocks that provide similar functionality, if you want that safety blanket. Guys like Gabe White and Scott Jedlinski use them without any reported issues, and they shoot enough that they'd probably find an issue if there was one to be found.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
Posters' Local 42069

Clapping Larry

Where the gently caress do I buy clay pigeons?

Like... Sporting goods stores?

Im not surprised they don't ship them because lol they're fragile but dang

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Pretty much anywhere that has shooting stuff for sale will probably have clay pigeons. Maybe not small, independent gun stores, but places like Cabelas always has them.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Walmart always has them.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

stealie72 posted:

Walmart always has them.

Yeah I always got them at Walmart although I haven't looked in awhile.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Any sporting goods store too. Dicks and the like, even if theyíre trying to get rid of the outdoors/ hunting section.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
Posters' Local 42069

Clapping Larry

A lot of people home throwing these days. I can't find any to save my life, pandemic rules!

This is possibly the least essential purchase, tho

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Walmart usually but I have seen them only available seasonally at times. It also depends on if the store sells guns/ammo and if itís super rural or a suburban neighborhood market style store.

Farm supply stores, dicks sporting goods or academy will usually have them.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Depending on where you live and if there's enough local club activity, there may actually be places that specialize in shotgun shooting supplies.
I get the ones I've bought from Walmart, but my gun club buys from a place that apparently sells in bulk and also does thrower repairs and other services not available at most sporting good stores.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Pillbug

Yeah I can get a case of 90 clays at Walmart (in Southern California/LA even) for $6. I usually pick up two or three whenever I'm there a few times a year for motor oil. The identical case at Turner's costs $15+.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Just throw your dirty dishes up in the air. After you've blasted them all, look at someone and say, "Dishes are done."

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

I was looking at 80% 1911kits (not to buy, just seeing whatís out there) and noticed most are aluminum. Do manufactures commonly use aluminum frames with steel slides? Is galling ever a thing? Does anodizing and lube keep wear down?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

Aluminum frame + steel slide combos have been around for a good while now. 1911s, SIGs, post-WWII P38s, and some of the classic S&W autoloaders, just to name a few.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Aluminum is more susceptible to getting beaten up from rough handling, but the frame should still outlast every other component. The trade-off is that it's easier to work for the purposes of an 80% build, and also that it will be lighter than a normal steel frame.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

tarlibone posted:

Just throw your dirty dishes up in the air. After you've blasted them all, look at someone and say, "Dishes are done."

Man I haven't thought about that movie in aaaages.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tyro posted:

Man I haven't thought about that movie in aaaages.

Aw crap, I forgot to refer to it as a documentary!

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Somebody Awful posted:

Aluminum frame + steel slide combos have been around for a good while now. 1911s, SIGs, post-WWII P38s, and some of the classic S&W autoloaders, just to name a few.

Letís not forget the Sig P-series and the Beretta 92.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's a little bitty place.

...Okay, I'll just wipe it off, that's all. Just a little town.

Ordered a complete 458 Socom upper for The Big Bullets.

As a still relatively new gun owner it's wild to me that you can have that poo poo shipped right to your door. I mean as modular as the AR platform is they had to make a somewhat arbitrary decision what part of the gun was the gunniest, but still.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Owlbear Camus posted:

Ordered a complete 458 Socom upper for The Big Bullets.

As a still relatively new gun owner it's wild to me that you can have that poo poo shipped right to your door. I mean as modular as the AR platform is they had to make a somewhat arbitrary decision what part of the gun was the gunniest, but still.

Well, it's not supposed to be arbitrary but in the case of AR's it kind of is since no one part really meets the ATF's definition of a firearm receiver. This may or may not blow up in the ATF's faces eventually.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/11/us/a...invs/index.html

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Final Blog Entry posted:

This may or may not blow up in the ATF's faces eventually.
I think the likeliest "solution" would be to regulate upper receivers too. Big win for us, yay!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Craptacular posted:

I think the likeliest "solution" would be to regulate upper receivers too. Big win for us, yay!

The issue there would be that the upper and lower are two parts, neither of which meet the definition of a receiver. The fact that a LOT of modern guns have split receivers that donít meet that definition is also kind of there.

Really what they need to do is actually redefine what the ďgunĒ part of a gun is. That would require some new rules about what gets serials and probably lead to a whole new situation like the pre-68 guns without SNs though.

Personally Iíve always thought the bolt (or breach block - basically the bit that seals the chamber) is the most logical part to regulate. Itís a headache when it comes to replacing a hosed one but really thatís not something that can be avoided if youíre taking the idea of it being the core of the gun seriously. The pressure bearing components are the must haves. Anything else is pretty fungible.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

My favorite "the legal 'gun' part is dumb"is the Nylon 66. The serialed part is an almost purely cosmetic shroud that is there to look like a traditional receiver and be a metal part with a serial on it. Granted, the rear sight is mounted to it, but I'm 99% sure that the gun will work just fine with the shroud off.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

The issue there would be that the upper and lower are two parts, neither of which meet the definition of a receiver. The fact that a LOT of modern guns have split receivers that donít meet that definition is also kind of there.

Really what they need to do is actually redefine what the ďgunĒ part of a gun is. That would require some new rules about what gets serials and probably lead to a whole new situation like the pre-68 guns without SNs though.

Personally Iíve always thought the bolt (or breach block - basically the bit that seals the chamber) is the most logical part to regulate. Itís a headache when it comes to replacing a hosed one but really thatís not something that can be avoided if youíre taking the idea of it being the core of the gun seriously. The pressure bearing components are the must haves. Anything else is pretty fungible.

I've always been dumbfounded that it isn't the part containing the firing pin. Slide on a pistol, bolt on a rifle.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Captain Log posted:

I've always been dumbfounded that it isn't the part containing the firing pin. Slide on a pistol, bolt on a rifle.

I believe that this is the case in some European countries. I think in the UK or Germany it's the "pressure-bearing parts," ie the barrel and bolt, that are regulated.

Nomyth
Mar 15, 2013

And if a Nyto get a attitude
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot

Can lever action shotguns feed Aguila Minishells? They're 1.75" long

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I don't know for sure but I doubt it. The 1887s I've used have been super finicky with the shell lengths they're designed to use, let alone any variation.

Nomyth
Mar 15, 2013

Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot

flightless greeb posted:

I don't know for sure but I doubt it. The 1887s I've used have been super finicky with the shell lengths they're designed to use, let alone any variation.

ah, dang.

I got intrigued by the idea of larger capacities for levergun cowboy action competition (with maybe a little target shooting on the side), so aside from Win 1887s and long-barrel tube-feeding rifles, I was looking at the Browning BLR, specifically because of that one Lucky Thirteen magazine made in Australia that makes spitzer .308 bullets pretty viable for an application like this. Are there any of those mags floating around in North America?

https://www.luckythirteen.com.au/pr...tre-fire-range/

Nomyth fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 22, 2020

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

If you're talking about actual CAS, the rules are pretty strict. Can't load more than 10 in a rifle on any stage I've ever shot and it's fairly rare to even load a '97 let alone to capacity on a shotgun stage. They try to keep it so SxS are still competitive.

There are wildcat side matches at the big competitions that will use actual rifle calibers (not lever guns shooting pistol calibers like usual) but I've never shot those so I can't comment on what guns are allowed.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
Posters' Local 42069

Clapping Larry

if I'm gettin a semi auto 308 in the dumb state (ny) and I have the same price on both which should I get a bar mk3 dbm or a m1a loaded

Tyvm

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I donít know anything about the BAR but I know enough about M1As to know theyíre probably not what you want

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah having never shot either, I'd go BAR as well, all day every day. Take that opinion for the little it's worth.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's a little bitty place.

...Okay, I'll just wipe it off, that's all. Just a little town.

Next week I should have the stuff I need to commence my 458 SOCOM build. I have read that aluminum mags are best for The Big Bullets and ordered a few more. I'm a little worried that the lack of texture vs something like a P-mag will cause handling issues if knock on wood I ever had to use it for something other than shooting expensive copper at paper on a range.

Is there a good solution for that, like grip tape, or maybe just snapping a few ranger bands around 'em?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Gunshow Poophole posted:

if I'm gettin a semi auto 308 in the dumb state (ny) and I have the same price on both which should I get a bar mk3 dbm or a m1a loaded

Tyvm

What's your budget? There are other semi-auto .308 options besides those two that might still be NY legal.

Insert comedy SL7 recommendation here, but seriously if you're looking to drop more than $1k there are other traditional stocked options besides those two.

Alternatively does it have to be in .308? Garands are an option as well.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
Posters' Local 42069

Clapping Larry

Cyrano4747 posted:

What's your budget? There are other semi-auto .308 options besides those two that might still be NY legal.

Insert comedy SL7 recommendation here, but seriously if you're looking to drop more than $1k there are other traditional stocked options besides those two.

Alternatively does it have to be in .308? Garands are an option as well.

not necessary to be in 308, having done some research 6.5cm seems like a better option all round

starting to drum up thoughts on a longer distance / higher caliber semiauto for target/range shooting and "featureless" stuff is just so fuckin atrocious that I'm trying to stick to... not doing that with an AR/AK platform. maybe a fixed mag AR-10 variant?

I dunno I'd like to keep it under $2k but under $1k is preeeeetty limiting

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Gunshow Poophole posted:

not necessary to be in 308, having done some research 6.5cm seems like a better option all round

starting to drum up thoughts on a longer distance / higher caliber semiauto for target/range shooting and "featureless" stuff is just so fuckin atrocious that I'm trying to stick to... not doing that with an AR/AK platform. maybe a fixed mag AR-10 variant?

I dunno I'd like to keep it under $2k but under $1k is preeeeetty limiting

FN FNAR competition

Nomyth
Mar 15, 2013

Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot

flightless greeb posted:

If you're talking about actual CAS, the rules are pretty strict. Can't load more than 10 in a rifle on any stage I've ever shot and it's fairly rare to even load a '97 let alone to capacity on a shotgun stage. They try to keep it so SxS are still competitive.

There are wildcat side matches at the big competitions that will use actual rifle calibers (not lever guns shooting pistol calibers like usual) but I've never shot those so I can't comment on what guns are allowed.
Follow up me wondering about those Lucky Thirteen BLR magazines: They don't have any way to get them to the 'States and they're also shuttering their doors indefinitely due to the economic/political situation.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

edited out since I was responding to a week old question by mistake.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 26, 2020

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Flatland Crusoe posted:

FN FNAR competition

This is actually pretty neat. I'd check it out if I was in a NY kinda position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brackit
Jan 23, 2019

What does barrel length actually do? For example, 14.5" vs 16" vs 18" vs 20" AR barrels. I've heard that it has no effect on accuracy, so why were all the popular 3-gun builds using long, heavy barrels?

«13 »