Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«13 »
Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Thanks for breaking down "hand feel" vs. "fit" for me. I understand why I got smacked down a month or two ago for telling a newbie to get a pistol that feels good. Having huge hands, I always thought it was important to be able to manipulate the controls and not get something that literally was hard to manipulate due to tiny or large hands. I'll be a lot more conscious of the words I use during newbie new pistol talks.

Poop, that whole write up is loving excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

poopgiggle posted:

Guide to choosing a defensive handgun

An excellent write up.

My only thoughts would be to clarify what a 'good trigger' is. For me, I define it as a trigger I can easily manipulate with minimal disruption of the sights. Much like 'hand feels', people don't know what a quality trigger feels like or what it's like to shoot one.
I had a roommate who thought a stock AK trigger was a crisp, clean, break until he got to work with one of my Geissele triggers.

Trillhouse posted:

It looks really good to me and there are some resources I hadn't seen before. I appreciate all the work you did.

I don't know if it fits the topic of the post, hell it could probably be a topic in itself, but maybe a section on lights/lasers/red dots? I know a lot of new people are attracted to crimson trace lasers and pretty much every brand is releasing optic-ready pistols now. Might be a good thing to touch on.

I would add it as a separate paragraph regarding 'handgun accessories'. I'll try writing something regarding dots. I've only been dedicated to shooting them for less then a year and I still have a lot to learn on them so if anyone else wants to contribute, go right ahead.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

poopgiggle posted:

Guide to choosing a defensive handgun

This has some good info. Since you're talking about defense in general, it probably is a good idea to include something about either mounting a light (and considering guns that come equipped with rails from the factory, like the M&P and probably a lot of others), or just in general, keeping a bright flashlight near the home defense gun. If it's a handgun, you can still use the flashlight, even if it's not mounted. It's not ideal, but it beats shooting in the dark.

(Also, y'all must live in horror movies or thrillers or something, because every light in every room of my house is controlled by a switch that's located near every doorway. You can't walk into a room in my house and not be right by a light switch. Turn on the drat lights, folks!)

My only complaint is that you don't say anything about revolvers. Like, at all, except to point out how they're not immune to reliability concerns. I'm a revolver fanboy, so of course I notice that, but since some folks may find themselves with a revolver one way or another, it might not hurt to mention them as an option for something other than deep concealment options.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's a little bitty place.

...Okay, I'll just wipe it off, that's all. Just a little town.

Optics advice:

I have the following firearms:
10 inch barrel 5.56 AR Pistol (Springfield Saint victor)
18 inch barrel 5.56 AR Rifle (Ruger MPR)
16 inch barrel 458 SOCOM AR Rifle (Bear Creek Upper, Aero Lower)

I own the following optics:
SIG Romeo 5 Red Dot with Juliet 3 Flip Magnifier
SIG Romeo 4S
"Tac Vector Optics" 4x Flip magnifier
Eotech XPS2

My preferred optics set up for rifles is a dot/holosite with a flip away reflex.

Relatively recently I got the .458 and pistol. Originally I was going to put the 4S on the pistol and the Eotech/flip away on the rifle, but now that I actually have the Eotech in hand with a larger site picture window and 65 MOA ring might make more sense to have the eotech alone on the pistol and use the 4S/flip on the rifle? The Romeo/Juliet is currently on the MPR and I'm fond of that style setup. 5.56 has about 100 yards more effective range than 458 so might make sense to put the 4x magnifier on the MPR? Not looking forward to all the boresiting and zeroing moving all the stuff around but whatever makes the most sense with what I got is the way I wanna go.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 2, 2020

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

tarlibone posted:

This has some good info. Since you're talking about defense in general, it probably is a good idea to include something about either mounting a light (and considering guns that come equipped with rails from the factory, like the M&P and probably a lot of others), or just in general, keeping a bright flashlight near the home defense gun. If it's a handgun, you can still use the flashlight, even if it's not mounted. It's not ideal, but it beats shooting in the dark.

(Also, y'all must live in horror movies or thrillers or something, because every light in every room of my house is controlled by a switch that's located near every doorway. You can't walk into a room in my house and not be right by a light switch. Turn on the drat lights, folks!)

My only complaint is that you don't say anything about revolvers. Like, at all, except to point out how they're not immune to reliability concerns. I'm a revolver fanboy, so of course I notice that, but since some folks may find themselves with a revolver one way or another, it might not hurt to mention them as an option for something other than deep concealment options.

I'm not gonna lie, I didn't mention revolvers (outside of snubnoses as deep concealment guns) because I don't think they're a practical option as defensive tools anymore.

I am 100% a revolver fan but only in the hobby context.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

I tried out revolvers at my LGS/range, and I found their triggers to be a lot harder to manipulate than your standard Glock/Beretta/Sig. Definitely wouldn't be my first choice for recommendations for a first handgun, since I'd rather the gun I recommend to people make them enjoy shooting more instead of dreading heading to the range. This is all subjective opinion though, and maybe the revolvers I tried were just not good ones.

I still personally want to own a revolver, because they look cool as hell and old-timey nostalgia is a thing.

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

tarlibone posted:

Overhead lighting isn't universal. A lot of homes in my area are entirely lamp-lit unless the owner went through significant effort to install overheads.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Owlbear Camus posted:

Optics advice:

I have the following firearms:
10 inch barrel 5.56 AR Pistol (Springfield Saint victor)
18 inch barrel 5.56 AR Rifle (Ruger MPR)
16 inch barrel 458 SOCOM AR Rifle (Bear Creek Upper, Aero Lower)

I own the following optics:
SIG Romeo 5 Red Dot with Juliet 3 Flip Magnifier
SIG Romeo 4S
"Tac Vector Optics" 4x Flip magnifier
Eotech XPS2

My preferred optics set up for rifles is a dot/holosite with a flip away reflex.

Relatively recently I got the .458 and pistol. Originally I was going to put the 4S on the pistol and the Eotech/flip away on the rifle, but now that I actually have the Eotech in hand with a larger site picture window and 65 MOA ring might make more sense to have the eotech alone on the pistol and use the 4S/flip on the rifle? The Romeo/Juliet is currently on the MPR and I'm fond of that style setup. 5.56 has about 100 yards more effective range than 458 so might make sense to put the 4x magnifier on the MPR? Not looking forward to all the boresiting and zeroing moving all the stuff around but whatever makes the most sense with what I got is the way I wanna go.

Sell some of your magnifiers and get a variable optic for the 18" IMO. Barring that, there's not a lot of difference between 3x and 4x at regular 5.56 ranges.

Also be sure to get that Bear Creek checked over if you haven't already, turns out hiring undocumented immigrants to slap together uppers leads to some questionable quality control.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's a little bitty place.

...Okay, I'll just wipe it off, that's all. Just a little town.

Internet Wizard posted:

Sell some of your magnifiers and get a variable optic for the 18" IMO. Barring that, there's not a lot of difference between 3x and 4x at regular 5.56 ranges.

Also be sure to get that Bear Creek checked over if you haven't already, turns out hiring undocumented immigrants to slap together uppers leads to some questionable quality control.

Yeah I'm thinking I'll skip the magifnifier on the 458 now that I look at it. Probably go R+J on the MPR as is, 4s on the pistol, and Eotech on the 458.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah I'm thinking I'll skip the magifnifier on the 458 now that I look at it. Probably go R+J on the MPR as is, 4s on the pistol, and Eotech on the 458.

That makes the most sense to me. I was going to say, I'd put the Eotech on the .458 just because its a heavier sight and built like a tank so I think it would stand up to the recoil better than the smaller dots.

«13 »