Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«13 »
biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Thanks for the answers, everyone!

MantisClaw posted:

If you put in the time and practice, your brain will associate mounting the gun with using that eye and will switch automatically.

also this is so loving cool, brains are awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Okay. I've been hemming and hawing about getting a safe for my 3 long guns recently, and I think I'll do it this year.

My dad keeps trying to sell me on some fancy-pants Vaultek Safe, with fingerprint scanning, a thermometer, and this thing in the stock that tells time. I'm not sold, it looks flimsy and like I'd be able to pry it open. Anyone heard of them before?

Note: they each have their own nice locks on them, I just have them "hidden". It's dumb and bad and I'll fix it. Help me fix it.

Note 2: yes I read the safes section of the OP. I'll be researching safes more in the next few weeks.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 13, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Okay. I've been hemming and hawing about getting a safe for my 3 long guns recently, and I think I'll do it this year.

My dad keeps trying to sell me on some fancy-pants Vaultek Safe, with fingerprint scanning, a thermometer, and this thing in the stock that tells time. I'm not sold, it looks flimsy and like I'd be able to pry it open. Anyone heard of them before?

Note: they each have their own nice locks on them, I just have them "hidden". It's dumb and bad and I'll fix it. Help me fix it.

I mean, I don't think I've ever seen anything about them one way or the other but just based on the name I think your guns will be subjected to terrifying psychological experimentation and torture and eventually leave a series of audio logs for the person who discovers their vault.

edit: and I know this is the newbie thread and I know I'm a bad person for not serious posting in the newbie thread but goddamn I'm going to be the despot you all know I am and invoke mod privilege on this one because holy poo poo that name.

edit 2: just get a basic safe with a mechanical lock electronic stuff is generally poorly regarded

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Just get a safe with a plain mechanical dial lock. Sargent & Greenleaf is what most of the better safe companies seem to use.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

I have a Vaultek handgun safe. I was honestly turned off by all the biometrics and wifi features etc because it seems like nothing but vulnerabilities to me. I disabled all of that stuff as soon as I got it. But I decided to pay the premium anyways because by comparison shopping and product reviews it did seem like it was a more secure option than anything else short of an actual thousand-pound safe. The weak point is still going to be the lock. (Iíve thought about supergluing the lock shut, but the thought of the battery dying or something going off with the combination pad and then being locked out of my guns irks me.)

Iíve been happy enough with it. Itís good build quality, solid door, the hinges are covered up like youíd want. Simple to open and close, the built in light is a nice little bonus too.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, I don't think I've ever seen anything about them one way or the other but just based on the name I think your guns will be subjected to terrifying psychological experimentation and torture and eventually leave a series of audio logs for the person who discovers their vault.

edit: and I know this is the newbie thread and I know I'm a bad person for not serious posting in the newbie thread but goddamn I'm going to be the despot you all know I am and invoke mod privilege on this one because holy poo poo that name.

edit 2: just get a basic safe with a mechanical lock electronic stuff is generally poorly regarded

It's okay it made me laugh. Ty all.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

A Good Probation

(Also edit 2 is good advice)

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Note 2: yes I read the safes section of the OP. I'll be researching safes more in the next few weeks.

What is the main issue you see in terms of protecting your guns? Do you have kids that you want to keep away from them? Are you looking to keep roommates or curious house guests from messing with them? Is there a significant burglary risk where you are? And do you plan to get more long guns? All these questions will help us make better recommendations for your specific circumstances. Oh, and do you need quick access for a home defense gun?

Edit: if you're mostly worried about keeping mostly honest but curious people away, something as simple as a Stack-on cabinet bolted to the wall would work.

Edit 2: Also, what's your budget?

Beardless fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 13, 2020

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Mod Cyrano flaunts the rules

It's "flaut." No "n."

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Craptacular posted:

It's "flaut." No "n."

Ironically it's "flout" with an "o."

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I am NOT a merry man!

I'm not sure what particular model of Vaultek you're shopping, but if you're going by reputation, this isn't exactly confidence inspiring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5YsZLJ5FjY

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

First he flouted the rules, then he flaunted them.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

To add onto poopgiggle's callout of T-Rex Arms faking his videos, he's also a biggot and homophobe, as detailed in our thread about racists, fash, and other trash in the gun community https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3894692

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

What are the arguments against using a center lock stance for defensive carry? Iíd never heard of it before seeing it mentioned in this thread today, but I gave a try drawing from holster into that stance and it feels very natural. Most importantly, I acquire my sight much faster drawing into a center lock stance than pushing out into an isosceles stance.

Of course, I havenít actually tried shooting from that position yet. I see how isosceles is a superior stance for shooting accurately, and I can see that center lock would not be ideal for engaging targets that arenít directly in front of you. But as a muay thai fighter I definitely appreciate the benefit of having the firearm closer to your body in a 5-10 foot range defensive encounter (and having my elbows available) and again, I acquire my sight much faster.

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

What are the arguments against using a center lock stance for defensive carry? I’d never heard of it before seeing it mentioned in this thread today, but I gave a try drawing from holster into that stance and it feels very natural. Most importantly, I acquire my sight much faster drawing into a center lock stance than pushing out into an isosceles stance.

Of course, I haven’t actually tried shooting from that position yet. I see how isosceles is a superior stance for shooting accurately, and I can see that center lock would not be ideal for engaging targets that aren’t directly in front of you. But as a muay thai fighter I definitely appreciate the benefit of having the firearm closer to your body in a 5-10 foot range defensive encounter (and having my elbows available) and again, I acquire my sight much faster.

Namely that there are other techniques out there that accomplish similar tasks that transition well to modern isosceles. The point of a compressed ready is to avoid presenting the gun into unknown space or if the area is too confined to allow a proper presentation (more a long gun issue then pistol.) I run a compressed ready very similar to step 3 of a typical 4 Position Draw.

If you're concerned about weapon retention, Craig Douglas of ShivWorks teaches a thumb pectoral index in his ECQC class and I've talked to dudes that recommend a mag-rib cage index. Both of those techniques work by deliberately aiming for the lower torso so that any missed shots will go into the ground while making space to be able use a more traditional power isosceles stance to deliver fast, accurate shots with full accountability. CAR is reliant on isometric tension for its recoil control which but may be familiar if you shoot weaver a lot.

If you want to see this in practice, John Lovell did a full set of videos working with Craig on that type of shooting and caps it all off by doing it in force-on-force

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqnaoI11YpA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTwH-PS9ydM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La56KNz9FFA

CoffeeBooze
Aug 4, 2007

Nuh Uh!

For whatever reason defensive carbine/pistol shooting has never interested me that much. But, for whatever reason this latest talk about pistol fu has actually tickled a part of my brain I didnt even know I had. Once things blow over with COVID19 I think Id like to seek out some instruction on the topic just to check it out. For beginners who are more interested in the topic as a hobby/shooting sport type of deal would a 22 handgun be a good start? Or do I really need to look for something thats more practical for actual self defense? Ive been thinking about picking up a Ruger Buckmark for a while now anyways and these seems like a good excuse.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Instructors will look at you weirdly but I don't think it will be that much of an issue if you tell them your reasoning.

That said, small .22lr semi-autos like the Browning Buckmark or the Ruger Mark series don't have reciprocating slides like regular defensive handguns so the point of thumb pectoral or mag-rib cage index gets lost (keeping the slide & muzzle clear to ensure proper cycling). Also the whole recoil management is vastly missed.

In the end though you're there to learn technique. Show up with a traditional defensive handgun like a Glock or a Sig. Or go with a snub-nosed revolver like a Smith & Wesson. Nightmare mode: attend a class with a bandolier of flintlock revolvers.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

CoffeeBooze posted:

For whatever reason defensive carbine/pistol shooting has never interested me that much. But, for whatever reason this latest talk about pistol fu has actually tickled a part of my brain I didnt even know I had. Once things blow over with COVID19 I think Id like to seek out some instruction on the topic just to check it out. For beginners who are more interested in the topic as a hobby/shooting sport type of deal would a 22 handgun be a good start? Or do I really need to look for something thats more practical for actual self defense? Ive been thinking about picking up a Ruger Buckmark for a while now anyways and these seems like a good excuse.

You can shoot a 22 pistol in Steel Challenge just fine. Don't even need a holster, just a bunch of magazines. It's a great way to get into action shooting.

E: 22s will let you get very sloppy with recoil control though. If you want to learn to shoot a defensive pistol fast, eventually you will need to buy a defensive pistol.

poopgiggle fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 14, 2020

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

CoffeeBooze posted:

Think about competing. There's bound to be USPSA near you... at least... after August or whenever the rona blows over . Immersion in that kind of regular gun handling and use will teach you a lot.

I think .22s are different enough to make dryfire a bit odd, most of the technique is manipulation you can practice in dryfire and 22s don't usually have slides or double stack mags. get a .22 AND a Glock.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Can you dry fire the new Glock in .22lr?

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Get some snap caps, or dry wall anchors (yellow I think). Even if they say itís fine to dry fire I wouldnít.

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

Hey thread, long time shooter first time buyer, finally living up to my namesake and purchased an AK and now I'm looking for recommendations on a bag for transporting it when I go to the range. Would probably also be bringing a pistol and mags along as well so if it could carry both even better.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
Posters' Local 42069

Clapping Larry

just posting to say that finding a new FFL in a socially-distanced world is... not awesome

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012

I'm bringing this here from the Stim Check thread.

I've never had to own and care for a gun before, the last gun I really ever used was my dad's M1 carbine, over 20 years ago hunting beaver. I want a rifle, but I'm looking for something that is not as "point-and-shoot" as the AR that Joe Wannabe-Fash down the street would buy to feel like a big man. The only requirements are that the gun, ammunition, and accessories would need to fit within my $1200 pittance that I got as an American victim of capitalism.

Also yes I would consider dressing my gun up like Milsurp Barbie.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What do you want it for? Hunting? Target shooting? Self defense?

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

What do you want it for? Hunting? Target shooting? Self defense?

Oop, target shooting and self defense.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Honestly? You're going to have a hard time beating an AR.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say you don't want something that's "point and shoot."

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly? You're going to have a hard time beating an AR.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say you don't want something that's "point and shoot."

Gonna echo this.

If you're wanting to avoid the "wannabe high speed low drag operator" look, you can absolutely do that with an AR. You can even get retro ARs if you're into that milsurp aesthetic.

For "target shooting and self defense" your best bet would be something chambered in 5.56 unless you expect to be assaulted by bears in your neighborhood. Given that, again AR is gonna be your friend but there are some alternatives.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Smegma Princess X posted:

I've never had to own and care for a gun before, the last gun I really ever used was my dad's M1 carbine, over 20 years ago hunting beaver. I want a rifle, but I'm looking for something that is not as "point-and-shoot" as the AR that Joe Wannabe-Fash down the street would buy to feel like a big man. The only requirements are that the gun, ammunition, and accessories would need to fit within my $1200 pittance that I got as an American victim of capitalism.

Friend, not all ARs need to look like you're trying to cosplay CoD!

I've been able to use this particular rifle for target shooting by switching out optics. In the photo it is carrying a red dot sight without magnification, but it's also featured a 1-4x magnification scope and a bipod if necessary.

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

An AR is honestly your best way to hit those requirements. If you absolutely can't stand the aesthetic, maybe something like a Ruger PCC?

That said, it is absolutely worse at everything you want to do compared to an AR including playing gun barbie.

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012

MantisClaw posted:

An AR is honestly your best way to hit those requirements. If you absolutely can't stand the aesthetic, maybe something like a Ruger PCC?

That said, it is absolutely worse at everything you want to do compared to an AR including playing gun barbie.

Alright, gently caress it, lets say I want to go with a 5.56 AR, what are my options here? What do I need to think about?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

What do I need to think about?

Not much, that's what makes the AR platform so great.

You can:
1. Buy a complete AR from any store or shop
2. Buy a receiver and assemble the butt stock and trigger and other receiver parts. Then buy an upper that meets your needs/tastes
3. Completely assemble everything yourself from a receiver.

Sounds like any 16" AR15 will suit your needs so you have a massive selection to choose from.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

One thing to bear in mind is your location could affect what you can/can't have on an AR.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Alright, gently caress it, lets say I want to go with a 5.56 AR, what are my options here? What do I need to think about?

If you just want a basic 5.56 AR, you could do a lot worse than this: https://ruger.com/products/ar556Fre...heets/8529.html.

Edit: Looks like it's in stock at BudsGunShop: https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...to+++161+30%2b1

Beardless fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 15, 2020

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

AK-47 posted:

Hey thread, long time shooter first time buyer, finally living up to my namesake and purchased an AK and now I'm looking for recommendations on a bag for transporting it when I go to the range. Would probably also be bringing a pistol and mags along as well so if it could carry both even better.

Don't have a bag to recommend but pop in to the AK thread and post your new gat

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012

Beardless posted:

If you just want a basic 5.56 AR, you could do a lot worse than this: https://ruger.com/products/ar556Fre...heets/8529.html.

Edit: Looks like it's in stock at BudsGunShop: https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...to+++161+30%2b1

Looks like I can get this locally for around $700 and my state has no restrictions for anything non-federal. Is there any reason why I should consider buying online?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Beardless posted:

That was my first AR. Excellent gun company with great customer service. You'll have a hard time getting all those features for that price anywhere else.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Looks like I can get this locally for around $700 and my state has no restrictions for anything non-federal. Is there any reason why I should consider buying online?

usually people buy online because prices are cheaper than what you can find locally.

but it still has to go through a licensed dealer*, who will charge you a fee to receive the gun and do the background check, so add that fee + shipping + online cost of the gun and compare it to the cost of the gun locally.

*technically you can buy a gun from a private individual (not a gun store) in your state and have them mail it straight to your house but that is an edge case. I've also never heard of anyone actually doing that

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

If that's the case then no, not at all, go ahead and buy it locally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Whatís the most cost effective way to put a quality light on an 870 for home defense?

Iíve been eye balling the streamlight tl tracker along with a 20Ē barrel and a box of buckshot to tranform the olí clay buster into a home defense gun.

«13 »