Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«13 »
I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

rump buttman posted:

Whatís the most cost effective way to put a quality light on an 870 for home defense?

Iíve been eye balling the streamlight tl tracker along with a 20Ē barrel and a box of buckshot to tranform the olí clay buster into a home defense gun.

Surefire fore ends are pretty dang nice, I have one on my MP5. Regular retail is $350, but there's a used one on GB for ~$200ish https://www.gunbroker.com/item/857483033
Not sure that's the most cost effective, but if I were putting a light on an 870 thats the way I'd go.

Beware this may or may not spawn discussion about shotguns being suboptimal for home defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Cost effective, I'd go with a Magpul MLOK forend and slap a TLR-1 or other decent light on there. Maybe $140ish total?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

rump buttman posted:

What's the most cost effective way to put a quality light on an 870 for home defense?

I've been eye balling the streamlight tl tracker
I have a couple of those and would recommend them. You can get one for ~$120 shipped if you look around. https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr...ght%20TL-Racker

I like turtles posted:

Surefire fore ends are pretty dang nice, I have one on my MP5. Regular retail is $350, but there's a used one on GB for ~$200ish https://www.gunbroker.com/item/857483033
Not sure that's the most cost effective, but if I were putting a light on an 870 thats the way I'd go.
That would have been a good choice 10-15 years ago, but that's a lot chunkier than it needs to be now and doesn't throw near as much light out as more recent models.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 16, 2020

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

I like turtles posted:

Beware this may or may not spawn discussion about shotguns being suboptimal for home defense.

Are surefire the gold standard?

I already own an 870 with a long barrel. Cheaper than dirt has a Remington 20Ē smoothbore barrel with rifle sights for 155. Iím thinking I can convert with a light for ~300 and not have to do face to face business.

The arguments for an AR makes sense. That is what Iíd buy if I was a first time purchaser and most of my consideration was for home defense.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

Smegma Princess X posted:

I'm bringing this here from the Stim Check thread.

I've never had to own and care for a gun before, the last gun I really ever used was my dad's M1 carbine, over 20 years ago hunting beaver. I want a rifle, but I'm looking for something that is not as "point-and-shoot" as the AR that Joe Wannabe-Fash down the street would buy to feel like a big man. The only requirements are that the gun, ammunition, and accessories would need to fit within my $1200 pittance that I got as an American victim of capitalism.

Also yes I would consider dressing my gun up like Milsurp Barbie.

Get a PTR-91 and feel like a pathetic baby man when its massive weight makes your arms tired

But really they're great rifles aside from being heavy and you can play dress up with them and the magazines are ~$5 each.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The Rat posted:

Cost effective, I'd go with a Magpul MLOK forend and slap a TLR-1 or other decent light on there. Maybe $140ish total?
As much as I like Magpul, that M-LOK forend would need a M-LOK rail adapter to attach a Streamlight TRL-1 HL.

Farting around Amazon I found a Mako forend that already has a Picatinny rail for attaching said Streamlight. Something to think about.

As for Surefire, they're proven light systems with one heck of a decent customer service record. There are new companies that are producing impressive weaponlights (Cloud Defensive, Modlite come to mind) but that's a massive rabbit hole to fall down.

Comedy option:

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

rump buttman posted:

Are surefire the gold standard?

I already own an 870 with a long barrel. Cheaper than dirt has a Remington 20Ē smoothbore barrel with rifle sights for 155. Iím thinking I can convert with a light for ~300 and not have to do face to face business.

The arguments for an AR makes sense. That is what Iíd buy if I was a first time purchaser and most of my consideration was for home defense.

Craptacular definitely knows more than I do on the subject. If you like the retro look, surefire is a good way to go, they've always had a good rep as far as I know. But it sounds like there are more modern options.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Cheaper Than Dirt is scummier than poo poo, they've jacked up their prices to scalper levels during the current ammo buying panic; I'd say keep looking around for a replacement barrel, they're not exactly hard to come by for a shotgun which is literally the most-produced model of firearm in the US.

Another comedy option: Nordic Clamps for securing extended mag tubes to the barrel are less than forty bucks, install one at an angle and clamp a flashlight in the other end instead.

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Welp, I already ordered from Cheaper than Dirt and payed 172 shipped for the the 20Ē smooth bore with rifle sights. I guess I payed the impatient idiot panic buyer tax.

Iíll take craptacularís recommendation and probably order a tl racker (in orange). Iíll stay at budget.

Follow up, is cheaper than dirt so scummy I should get a new CC number? Are they one of the companies that donít protect customer info or just rip off artist looking for marks. (Asking very markingly)

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

rump buttman posted:

Welp, I already ordered from Cheaper than Dirt and payed 172 shipped for the the 20” smooth bore with rifle sights. I guess I payed the impatient idiot panic buyer tax.

I’ll take craptacular’s recommendation and probably order a tl racker (in orange). I’ll stay at budget.

Follow up, is cheaper than dirt so scummy I should get a new CC number? Are they one of the companies that don’t protect customer info or just rip off artist looking for marks. (Asking very markingly)

Mostly just jacking up prices as much as 2-3x on things like mags and ammo during panics and even cancelling already placed orders just to have the same items available on the website at the new panic pricing.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

rump buttman posted:

Follow up, is cheaper than dirt so scummy I should get a new CC number? Are they one of the companies that don’t protect customer info or just rip off artist looking for marks. (Asking very markingly)

FWIW, after the last time I bought from them I got tons of scam calls and emails. Use privacy.com. That goes for Palmetto State Arms (PSA) as well. You can get probated here in TFR for mentioning something on their site without linking privacy.com.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

madeintaipei posted:

FWIW, after the last time I bought from them I got tons of scam calls and emails. Use privacy.com. That goes for Palmetto State Arms (PSA) as well. You can get probated here in TFR for mentioning something on their site without linking privacy.com.

Just FYI thatís a punishment thatís never actually been used and I wouldnít spring it on a newbie who has no idea.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just FYI thatís a punishment thatís never actually been used and I wouldnít spring it on a newbie who has no idea.

That said I reserve the right to be snarky when reminding people but frankly goons to that for me most of the time.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

Have fun watching wrestling
Because wrestling's fun

What scenarios do a ribbed shotgun barrel make sense for? I'm looking at Mossberg 500 models and a lot of them have two sets of barrels. I assume it's a hunting thing?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Lumbermouth posted:

What scenarios do a ribbed shotgun barrel make sense for? I'm looking at Mossberg 500 models and a lot of them have two sets of barrels. I assume it's a hunting thing?
It's for the duck's pleasure.

The rib doesn't heat up as quickly, so you won't get heat waves off the top of the barrel like you would with a plain barrel. And it provides a flat plane instead of a rounded one, which makes sighting a little easier. So yeah, mostly a hunting thing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. óBertrand Russell

Streamlight TLR-6 for my new Glock 45 for home defense. Yes/no/other? Laser version or not?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

A light is good for home defense, yes. I personally think mandatory.

Don't think a laser is worth it though.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Streamlight TLR-6 for my new Glock 45 for home defense. Yes/no/other? Laser version or not?

I use one because I carry my Glocks and prefer how small it is, but if you arenít carrying I canít think of a good reason not to get a TLR-1. Itís a whole lot brighter, making it better for investigating bumps in the night.

Laser? Iíll let people smarter than me weigh in on that. Personally, I donít think itís something needed. You donít need to search for a laser before firing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. óBertrand Russell

I've read a million pro/anti rants about lasers on the internets. I was leaning towards getting one and making my own decision because there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus.

Captain Log posted:

I can’t think of a good reason not to get a TLR-1. It’s a whole lot brighter, making it better for investigating bumps in the night.

Oh, hmm. Given my iffyness on the laser, the light is much more important. There's the TLR2 which is the TLR1 with laser (maybe?), but some people say it's poorly-implemented.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

The TLR-6 is OK for smaller guns (Glock 26/43/43X/48) that don't have a rail. But for a Glock that does have rail, get a different light. Try a TLR-7.

1) A larger light that uses a CR123 battery will last longer than the much smaller CR-1/3N battery in the TLR-6.
2) The light is also a lot brighter on the TLR-7 (500 lumens vs 100 lumens).
3) You'll find more Glock 45 holsters that are designed for larger lights. Even if you don't plan to carry, a holster is a good idea (especially for a Glock) because it protects the trigger on a gun without an external manual safety and 2) plans can change suddenly.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 16, 2020

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Thermopyle posted:

I've read a million pro/anti rants about lasers on the internets. I was leaning towards getting one and making my own decision because there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus.

The consensus is pretty clear. Lasers are good for the following:

1. Small handguns (S&W J-frames and Ruger LCPs) with small, useless sights.
2. Police who may have to shoot around a ballistic shield, since that makes using the sights hard.

Otherwise you're better off with irons or a slide-mounted optic.

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

poopgiggle posted:

2. Police who may have to shoot around a ballistic shield, since that makes using the sights hard.

QFT

Generally speaking, you want All the Lumens for a pistol light, I'd even go as far as recommending a TLR-1 or a Surefire X300U. There is no such thing as too much light and most of time people are selecting smaller lights due to aesthetics rather than any real practical benefit.

Sage Dynamics did a tongue-in-cheek video on the concept:

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

poopgiggle posted:

How small of a gun can you put slide mounted optics on? Is the width of the slide the determining factor.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

rump buttman posted:

How small of a gun can you put slide mounted optics on? Is the width of the slide the determining factor.

Theoretically you can put an optic on a slide that's slimmer than the optic as long as there's still enough space for the mounting screws

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Thermopyle posted:

I have a laser on my S&W M&P9c and a laser/light on my Glock 42.

For me, it's basically for fun. I carry the G42 so it might help out at night but I wouldn't look at it as an "is this required" type thing. If you want it, go for it. Put I don't think it's necessary.

Make sure you get a light though.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

If you don't know much about the topic and don't know how to vet sources it can also look like there isn't a consensus on vaccinations

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

rump buttman posted:

Width, length of the slide behind the ejection port, and there also has to be a spot where milling an optics cut won't impinge on anything important inside the slide (drop safeties, striker channel, etc). On a really small auto, weight could also be a factor, if your optic is heavier than the amount of material removed it could affect functioning since those guns typically don't have much margin for error in order to properly function. Smaller optics, like the RMSc and one of the new sig dots, can be put on smaller guns, though they're typically less durable and have smaller lenses.

There are ways to mount optics without milling the slide (frame mounts or mounts that use the rear dovetail) but they are usually sub-optimal for carry, though viable for competition. One other alternative is guns that have an alternative means of mounting an optic to the top, such as a rail or other mounting system (Desert Eagle, large revolvers), but you're usually not going to see that on a carry gun. All that said, typically the smallest autos that have optics on them are in the Shield, Glock 43, P365. which are about the smallest 9mm guns available. The only stuff you can't really put a dot on these days are very small revolvers and autos (LCP and similar).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Internet Wizard posted:

If you don't know much about the topic and don't know how to vet sources it can also look like there isn't a consensus on vaccinations

Posting in here is part of the process of how to vet sources, though.

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Word,what happens if you canít cut into the slide to recess the mount? Does it just mess with the angle of aiming to much to be worthwhile?

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

Typically then you look at other methods of mounting such as using the dovetail.
https://dueckdefense.com/shop/handg...tiple-red-dots/ for example.

The angle isn't an issue so much as durability. RDS on a handgun take a lot of abuse during the normal firing cycle and milling the slide is typically the most secure method.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

MantisClaw posted:

Typically then you look at other methods of mounting such as using the dovetail.
https://dueckdefense.com/shop/handg...tiple-red-dots/ for example.

The angle isn't an issue so much as durability. RDS on a handgun take a lot of abuse during the normal firing cycle and milling the slide is typically the most secure method.

What he said, plus if you wanted to use tall iron sights as a backup to your dot, then you usually need a fairly low mount.

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Right on.

On a different topic, what pocket guns do you grey haired goons recommend?

Iíve never carried and mostly want a pistol I can wear around the shop on my own propery. I am not looking to carry in public. My wife has a glock 19 and Iíd want something thinner, lighter and smaller. When I shot with her family, I had the opportunity to shoot some different pistols. I didnít really like shooting snub-nose revolvers. I was an awful shot with them.

What guns should I try out? Glock 42/43? Are kahrs reliable guns? (My Brother in law has a Kahr and I liked shooting it.)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

rump buttman posted:

Right on.

On a different topic, what pocket guns do you grey haired goons recommend?

Iíve never carried and mostly want a pistol I can wear around the shop on my own propery. I am not looking to carry in public. My wife has a glock 19 and Iíd want something thinner, lighter and smaller. When I shot with her family, I had the opportunity to shoot some different pistols. I didnít really like shooting snub-nose revolvers. I was an awful shot with them.

What guns should I try out? Glock 42/43? Are kahrs reliable guns? (My Brother in law has a Kahr and I liked shooting it.)

What do you mean by a "pocket gun?" Are you going to be actually pocket carrying? Carrying IWB? OWB?

Most of the truly tiny guns make some pretty big compromises to get to a point where you can slip it into a pocket, which is part of what you're seeing with the snub nosed revolvers. If you just want something a bit smaller for OWB carry on your own property, you might look into a single stack that's not quite as big as a duty pistol.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

rump buttman posted:

Get a Glock 42 or 43. Kahrs are OK-ish but the Glocks are a lot better.

I don't like semi-autos for pocket carry because they're shaped wrong and the back of the slide gets caught on the edge of your pocket much more easily than a revolver with a concealed hammer. I don't much like pocket carry though anyways, belt/waist-level carry is superior in most situations.

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Cyrano4747 posted:

What do you mean by a "pocket gun?" Are you going to be actually pocket carrying? Carrying IWB? OWB?

Most of the truly tiny guns make some pretty big compromises to get to a point where you can slip it into a pocket, which is part of what you're seeing with the snub nosed revolvers. If you just want something a bit smaller for OWB carry on your own property, you might look into a single stack that's not quite as big as a duty pistol.

I was thinking literally pocket w/ holster of some kind. I am weary of wearing anything on my belt in the shop (tool and die) because I donít want to bump anything. I usually wear a vest under my apron. I was thinking of using the exterior vest pocket.

I also know that practically speaking, I should shoot a bunch of rounds (hundreds? thousands?) out of whatever gun I want to carry before carrying. Even if itís just carrying around the shop.

^^^^^^^^^^
Are kahrs bad or just bad compared to glocks? With my wife already having a 19 a 43 already makes the most practical sense. I did like shooting the brother in laws Kahr. I thought the trigger let me be more accurate.

rump buttman fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 17, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I think for literal pocket carry with a pocket holster, a Ruger LCP II would be a good bet. It's small, reliable, kinda small caliber, but I've put hundreds of rounds through mine and I love it. The sights are bad though. It's pretty inexpensive too.

I use an actual IWB holster for it though so someone else would be more knowledgeable with that.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

rump buttman posted:

Are kahrs bad or just bad compared to glocks? With my wife already having a 19 a 43 already makes the most practical sense. I did like shooting the brother in laws Kahr. I thought the trigger let me be more accurate.
In my experience they're less reliable out of the box than a Glock, but mostly get better after their recommended break-in. The trigger pull is a lot longer than a Glock's.

prophet45
Aug 26, 2008

Hey.
I just bought a well over hundred years old Krag. It's almost entirely original, though the barrel might have been changed at some point. The seller doesn't know when it was last fired (which is fairly common for these guns, a lot of them just show up on grandpa's old things) but it looks to be in great shape.

What should I do before taking it to the range to test it? I assume I should stick to light loads, but do I need to have a professional have a look at it first?

I bought the gun mostly for historical reasons, but I really want to use it for having fun with some manual action ipsc, and for some general loving about, so only stuff that doesn't require the heavier loads that would be needed for hunting and such.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

When I got my Enfield last year I took it to a gunsmith. It had some markings on it that could have suggested a few different things. Anywhere from a unit marking to a drill-do-not-fire marking. I had them clean it up for me while it was there but I wanted them to see if it worked. They put some rounds through it and it worked just fine. But they found out the magazine doesn't work so after some fun with some pliers I got it to feed.

It's up to you but due to the markings on mine I wanted to be sure it was safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I just inspect mine for signs of abuse or damage and fire the first round from the hip.

edit: I"ll check headspace if the bolt doesn't match the receiver.

«13 »