Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Shrieking Muppet posted:

I keep a set of punches in mine since sometimes i need to pop the trigger group out of a shotgun and a long screwdriver to taking stocks off but I’m a weirdo clay shooter. Also sharpies, various lubricants and a cheap cleaning kit that lives in my trunk.

I've got a few weird combo tools that come in handy for random poo poo like stuck cases and fiddling with sight adjustments too.

Basically, the tools you have in a range bag are something you develop over time and experience. Everything I have in there is something I've needed at one time or another, didn't have, so I threw it in when I got back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Bonus, just having the tool often wards off the evil spirits and you never need it again.

I've gotten by with this wheeler multi bit kit, an AR sight tool, and a plain Jane Leatherman for like a decade of rifle and pistol range time: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000RZG5NY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_8HFTPADW0PZ03ZVHKPQA

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I keep a bunch of stuff in my bag; it's nice to always have that stuff at the range when you need something. Little cans of CLP and Ballistol, a few patches, boresnakes to cover all the calibers I shoot, allen wrenches, a Real Avid multitool that I got as a gift, a small brass hammer, a variety of batteries for all the different sights and earpro, stapler with many spare staples, chamber flags, spare eyepro, a handful of soft earplugs just in case, lens cleaners... and probably a few things I'm forgetting.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

With all of the ammo and handguns I bring (usually 3 or so) I can barely fit anything else in my range bag. I'd love to have some hex keys but I don't want to carry 25 of them.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

stealie72 posted:

I've gotten by with this wheeler multi bit kit, an AR sight tool, and a plain Jane Leatherman for like a decade of rifle and pistol range time: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000RZG5NY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_8HFTPADW0PZ03ZVHKPQA

I've had that set for seven years and love it. It's easier to use than those folding sets for hex/torx and the selection of flat bits is really nice.

Griz
May 21, 2001

the one advantage of the folding ones is that you can unfold it halfway and use it like a standard 90 degree allen key for inconveniently located screws where the handle on a screwdriver-type would get in the way (looking at you, 10/22 v-block)

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Griz posted:

the one advantage of the folding ones is that you can unfold it halfway and use it like a standard 90 degree allen key for inconveniently located screws where the handle on a screwdriver-type would get in the way (looking at you, 10/22 v-block)

For really tight areas, you can insert a bit into an appropriately sized socket on a socket wrench, which usually gets you better clearance than the folding ones. Personally, my favorite feature on the folders is a 0% chance of dropping a bit and losing it while I'm at the range.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Dip Viscous posted:

I've had that set for seven years and love it. It's easier to use than those folding sets for hex/torx and the selection of flat bits is really nice.

+1 for that kit for a range bag. It doesn't have everything you'd need for gunsmithing but it's small and has plenty for field repairs.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

my kinda ape posted:

+1 for that kit for a range bag. It doesn't have everything you'd need for gunsmithing but it's small and has plenty for field repairs.

Some of the best advice I've gotten here was to get that screwdriver bit set. It is super-useful.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

Dumb question: I picked up a Winchester Wildcat 22SR today for a song. It has a black suppressor thread protector:

quote:

The Wildcat SR (Suppressor Ready) 22 rifle comes with a 1/2" x 28 TPI threaded muzzle with knurled thread protector.

Since the whole rifle is touched with red highlights, I thought I might replace it with a red one…would each of these fit? Does it just need to be 1/2x28? Does it have to be a thread protector or can it be a compensator or muzzle brake?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

pipebomb posted:

Dumb question: I picked up a Winchester Wildcat 22SR today for a song. It has a black suppressor thread protector:

Since the whole rifle is touched with red highlights, I thought I might replace it with a red one…would each of these fit? Does it just need to be 1/2x28? Does it have to be a thread protector or can it be a compensator or muzzle brake?

The thread protector is literally just a threaded ring that prevents damage/debris accumulation in the threads if you don't have another muzzle device.
IIRC, there are some precision rifles that have have a weighted thread protector so you can keep harmonics equivalent between a with and without suppressor configuration, but that's a non-issue here.

You should be able to put on any muzzle device that has the same thread pitch and length of the threaded portions are the same.
Depending on the muzzle device, you may need a crush washer, spacer, or something else to avoid having exposed threads while having the muzzle device correctly oriented.
There probably won't be any significant performance increases from a brake on a .22LR, but they look pretty cool and additional weight may help with muzzle rise.

If you want a muzzle device that isn't available in the thread pitch you've got, there are thread pitch adapters that let you attach larger devices to smaller barrels.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Excellent, thank you. It’s used but in great condition…got it for $150, so I thought I’d use it as a way to save on 9mm at the range. 🥴

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

pipebomb posted:

Excellent, thank you. It’s used but in great condition…got it for $150, so I thought I’d use it as a way to save on 9mm at the range. 🥴

A quick poke on gun.deals shows it currently being $230+ everywhere it's in stock, so that sounds like a great price if it's gently used.

After you've taken it to the range, consider posting about it in the .22LR thread.
I know nothing about that rifle, but I'm definitely digging the space gun aesthetic.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

pipebomb posted:

Does it just need to be 1/2x28? Does it have to be a thread protector or can it be a compensator or muzzle brake?
Are you worried about function, or about legal compliance?

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Are you worried about function, or about legal compliance?

Thread size.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Then yes, any muzzle device in 1/2x28 tpi should work.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

So I bit the bullet (🙃) and signed up for a sportsmansguide account. Immediately saved the $50 charge and got two guns I’ve been looking for everywhere at decent prices. They’ve also got some pretty cool accessories like surplus military boxes, clothing, etc.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Hopefully you have a good experience with them. The 2 times I ordered ammo through then I’m it never shipped after weeks of waiting so I had to get a refund.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

It better go smooth, or I’ll find the most expensive thing they have and use a privacy.com and ‘4-Pay’ the first payment.

ATTENTION LAW ENFORCEMENT: JUST KIDDING LOL ?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I'm lucky to live relatively close to a Sportsman's Warehouse so my membership works out well.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

I don’t think they are the same thing. I have a sportsman’s near me…this place is more online: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm lucky to live relatively close to a Sportsman's Warehouse so my membership works out well.

82nd?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Yup. I'm a hop, skip, and a jump away.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

I’ve been lucky with Sportsman’s guide since I signed up last summer. 5,000 rounds, a scope and some other accessories. I keep getting close to ordering fun looking surplus gear when I’ve been drinking but have abstained.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Android Apocalypse posted:

Yup. I'm a hop, skip, and a jump away.

Soon...soon.

I'm also probably going to have enough saved up to buy a real membership at Place to Shoot, where I'm not paying for a lane and ammo tax.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Oh poo poo, they do memberships there? I like that place. A little out of the way, but I kinda don’t want to pay for a membership at the indoor range in Simi because blaaaah indoor ranges.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?

Grimey Drawer

Giving thought to buying a 1911, probably remington. Are there any particular poo poo brands or models I need to watch out for, or does anyone know of a sale going on? Thought maybe gunbroker and then I realized some websites I dunno anything about might be able to save me some cash.

Not filled with burning desire to do this tonight, but mainly just feel like picking one up.

Not looking for THOSE drat TERRISTS GONNA BREAK IN AND I GOTTA PROTECT MY WALL SCROLLS FROM THEM HOODLUMS reasons, just saw a very old ad for one and went "oh yea, other than a colt SAA I've always wanted of them." and honestly it's gonna be this or another 3d printer.

So, any ideas my dudes?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Giving thought to buying a 1911, probably remington.
So, any ideas my dudes?

Any reason you want a Remington specifically? The company has gone bankrupt not once but twice in the last few years, and does not have a particular reputation for 1911s.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?

Grimey Drawer

None, really. Ad had it for cheap, figured it was as good a brand as any for a 1911 model.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Giving thought to buying a 1911, probably remington.

A few years ago my college roommate and I met up at his place near illion and he let me try a Remington 1911 he picked up when he worked there, it could not make it through a single magazine right with any of the ammo we had. Seriously Id pass on big green 1911s.

Edit: check out the 1911 thread, they have a-lot of other suggestions that are much better and work

Shrieking Muppet fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 3, 2021

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
Posters' Local 42069

Clapping Larry

None, really. Ad had it for cheap, figured it was as good a brand as any for a 1911 model.

It’s not

Do not buy

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

The real answer is to enter the CMP’s 1911 lottery and get an actual 1911.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Newbie thread >> Newbie question/request

Help me find a birds head/raptor style grip that I can put on my 22 charger, which takes ‘standard ar15 grips’? This actual ar15 has the full tube and guts integrated, but I just need one I can screw into place.

[edit] It doesn’t necessarily need to be smooth and quite as angled, but I’d like it to be more angled - maybe something like this? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022265166

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pipebomb fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 3, 2021

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

pipebomb posted:

Newbie thread >> Newbie question/request

Help me find a birds head/raptor style grip that I can put on my 22 charger, which takes ‘standard ar15 grips’? This actual ar15 has the full tube and guts integrated, but I just need one I can screw into place.

[edit] It doesn’t necessarily need to be smooth and quite as angled, but I’d like it to be more angled - maybe something like this? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022265166

https://www.sparrowdynamics.com/Featureless-Grip-AR-p/crg-15.htm

Maybe something like this? there are a lot of California featureless grips that look more traditional rifle grips but stick in the standard AR-15.

Giving thought to buying a 1911, probably remington. Are there any particular poo poo brands or models I need to watch out for, or does anyone know of a sale going on? Thought maybe gunbroker and then I realized some websites I dunno anything about might be able to save me some cash.

Not filled with burning desire to do this tonight, but mainly just feel like picking one up.

Not looking for THOSE drat TERRISTS GONNA BREAK IN AND I GOTTA PROTECT MY WALL SCROLLS FROM THEM HOODLUMS reasons, just saw a very old ad for one and went "oh yea, other than a colt SAA I've always wanted of them." and honestly it's gonna be this or another 3d printer.

So, any ideas my dudes?

A 1911 really isn't the kind of gun you want to cheap out on- even the good ones tend to choke fairly frequently without proper care. Remington's bankrupt, so if there are any issues at all (which there probably will be given Remington's lack of QC in the past decade) you will be on your own to find a 1911 gunsmith, and if you do that you're just spending the money you could have spent on a better one to fix a stinker.

I think consensus is that Springfield Armory, Ruger, and Sig Sauer make good quality 1911s in the $700-$1200 range, and above that start looking at the entry level Dan Wessons. RIA makes more entry level ($500-700) 1911s but their quality control is hit-or-miss too. I have heard nothing but bad things about Kimber and Taurus. I have not heard anyone speak of the quality of the no-name Turkish brands, but I have little reason to believe their quality would be any higher than the other questionable ones. Someone who has more 1911s than me might be able to guide you better.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Very interesting, thanks THP.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Is there any good way of getting CMP membership? Looked into it but it requires a sponsor and the only sponsors in my area are Boy Scout troops and JROTC dealies.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Not really good advice if you want something ergonomic. There are better 1911s to be had for less money.

Gin and Juche posted:

Is there any good way of getting CMP membership? Looked into it but it requires a sponsor and the only sponsors in my area are Boy Scout troops and JROTC dealies.

https://thegca.org/membership/

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Gin and Juche posted:

Addressed above ^^
It’s not actually that serious, you can just plop down the $25 for the GCA membership.

NickBlasta posted:

Not really good advice if you want something ergonomic. There are better 1911s to be had for less money.
My thought was: goon wants cool gun because it’s cool. The coolest guns are the old guns.

The newer ones are probably going to be a little cheaper and have options that aren’t so “hunk of metal in hand”-y too. But aren’t old guns cool?

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

I had a Desert Eagle 1911 for about 4 days. I almost immediately got hand cramps and blisters on my thumb webbing. It got gone fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Triggerhappypilot posted:

https://www.sparrowdynamics.com/Featureless-Grip-AR-p/crg-15.htm
I think consensus is that Springfield Armory, Ruger, and Sig Sauer make good quality 1911s

Just curious are RIA still tolerable meh tier or they pass on nowday?