Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Just curious are RIA still tolerable meh tier or they pass on nowday?

My wife has two, and they're perfectly fine. They were purchased within the last year or two.

I generally hear good things about them when I read or watch reviews. The consensus is, good for the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The CMP 1911 closed already unfortunately. Hoping to hear about my RNG by June. They still have nicer ones on auction, but they are above market price iirc.

For buying from the cmp in general, yeah, join the gca. Its $25 a year, and you can just include the emailed receipt in the order form. The only other hard part is the marksmanship form. If you have your chl/ccw or FFL03 you're good. Otherwise just take a friend to the range and have them sign the form. Its not notarized, and everyone is a safety officer on the range.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Just curious are RIA still tolerable meh tier or they pass on nowday?

a gunsmith friend of mine eventually refused to work on RIAs anymore because of how wildly the specs varied on the parts. maybe they got better? idk, this was almost 10 years ago.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?

Grimey Drawer

I'll do some digging and see what I can find regarding the 1911. Just always liked the design. Didn't want to just grab the first thing I saw without checking with people who know WAY more about this stuff than me.

Only other pistol I'd wanna get would have to be some kinda scifi looking one. I almost bought a lil 22 that looked like the old NES zapper but it was too much cash for too little gun.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'll do some digging and see what I can find regarding the 1911. Just always liked the design. Didn't want to just grab the first thing I saw without checking with people who know WAY more about this stuff than me.

Only other pistol I'd wanna get would have to be some kinda scifi looking one. I almost bought a lil 22 that looked like the old NES zapper but it was too much cash for too little gun.
Beretta Neos? They have their charm but part of that charm is that they're generally cheap.

You also picked a historically terrible time to get into firearms. Availability is low and prices are high thanks to a year of panic.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

poopgiggle posted:

a gunsmith friend of mine eventually refused to work on RIAs anymore because of how wildly the specs varied on the parts. maybe they got better? idk, this was almost 10 years ago.

Same, however they always go bang. He just wonít mess with the angles considering itís seemingly all hand fit.

For my dual stack 9mm RIA 1911 I dropped in a Cylinder & Slide trigger, hammer, and sear kit. And I mean literally dropped in, no fitting required. It turned it from a meh 1911 into a delightfully crisp one.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This may be an incredibly stupid question, but I keep seeing mod kits for ar15s that make it look more like some weird spec ops kinda rifle.

Are there any that make it look like something interesting or cool, like the rifles from Ghost In The Shell? If I'm gonna have a rifle to just plink with, I'd like it to look less like I'm trying to be a navy seal and more like scifi.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

This may be an incredibly stupid question, but I keep seeing mod kits for ar15s that make it look more like some weird spec ops kinda rifle.

Are there any that make it look like something interesting or cool, like the rifles from Ghost In The Shell? If I'm gonna have a rifle to just plink with, I'd like it to look less like I'm trying to be a navy seal and more like scifi.

Bullpup kit of some kind? Or just assemble individual parts that match the look you're going for.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I get that, but I'm not finding the parts that look like what I want the rifle to resemble. Anyone have any leads as to where to find the bits?

Meaning stuff like (but not exactly) this:

Apologies if the pic is gigantic, on mobile.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

I get that, but I'm not finding the parts that look like what I want the rifle to resemble. Anyone have any leads as to where to find the bits?

Meaning stuff like (but not exactly) this:

Apologies if the pic is gigantic, on mobile.

Look at aftermarket chassis for a Ruger 10/22.

It's basically "The" 22 rifle everyone starts out shooting as a kid. I did at seven. Because it's a 22 and incredibly simple, they can make all sorts of aftermarket for it.

John DiFool
Aug 27, 2013

You mean like this: https://hera-usa.com/products/schaefte/ar-15-10/cqr/ ?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Those pistol grips made from leather straps wrapped around the grip looking remarkably similar to something that would pop up in the lovely crime guns thread.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Oh, no! Am I developing bad taste in my old age? I though the dark brown ones looked kind of cool (not enough to buy them tho'.)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Wifi Toilet posted:

Oh, no! Am I developing bad taste in my old age? I though the dark brown ones looked kind of cool (not enough to buy them tho'.)

Nah. IMO they look neat.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

I like them. Looks like something European farmers would have used back in the day.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

pipebomb posted:

I like them. Looks like something European farmers would have used back in the day.

When done well, with fine leather and high polish, it makes a beautiful knife handle material. Hess Knifeworks does a good job with that, if you can find one. IIIRC, GEC makes the blades and Hess finishes them.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

madeintaipei posted:

When done well, with fine leather and high polish, it makes a beautiful knife handle material. Hess Knifeworks does a good job with that, if you can find one. IIIRC, GEC makes the blades and Hess finishes them.

That's my biggest issue with it. It looks like an old kabar that wasn't cared for. If it was done right it would look great.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Newbie question about solvent/oil for cleaning my firearms. I've seen a lot of videos of people that use a combo solvent/lubricant like Ballistol/CLP, maybe more frequently than I've seen people use individual solvent and then lubricant. Is this a matter of personal choice or is there an objectively better pick?

The idea that carbon solvent and lubrication are opposing purposes makes sense to me, but the combo solutions seem ubiquitous. What's the deal?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Ashrik posted:

Newbie question about solvent/oil for cleaning my firearms. I've seen a lot of videos of people that use a combo solvent/lubricant like Ballistol/CLP, maybe more frequently than I've seen people use individual solvent and then lubricant. Is this a matter of personal choice or is there an objectively better pick?

The idea that carbon solvent and lubrication are opposing purposes makes sense to me, but the combo solutions seem ubiquitous. What's the deal?

CLPs work ok but are obviously not as good as separate solvent and lubricants. If you're not in a hurry then I'd use a solvent to clean then a lubricant to lubricate but it's personal preference. If you're actually cleaning your gun at all you're probably doing better than the average person.

The appeal of CLP is that it's easy and simple. I also think that's what they use in the military which is a big intro to guns for a lot of people so those people will be already familiar with that and continue to use it and recommend it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

It also depends on what you're cleaning.

I actually am starting to prefer Break Free and now Ballistol because they do wonders on my stainless revolvers if I let it soak in long enough. They are better on the raccoon eyes on the cylinder face than anything short of the special lead removal polishing compound cloths.

When I cleaned my 686 am hour ago, the Ballistol worked amazing. I was almost done when I ran a jag and patch through each chamber, and it removed so much gunk that when I repeated that step, I was surprised to see the patch come through almost perfectly clean.

I'm not as quick to use CLP's on plastic pistols, though. They work fine, but inevitably the stuff gets on my hands, and then it ends up on the plastic no matter how careful I am. It looks and feels like greasy plastic.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Is there any risk to getting that stuff on the polymer side of my pistols besides that?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Not that I know of. Both CLP and Ballistol are safe on dang near everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I use both Hoppe's 9 (solvent) and CLP and sometimes Rem Oil. But I always clean everything with Hoppe's and then after that I'll run a patch of CLP down the barrel and on other parts and it'll still pick up a bunch of dirt.

I just recently picked up Ballistol because Hickcok45 uses that stuff liberally. It's good for spraying on parts to soak for a while to give it a deep clean.

So yeah a lot of it is preference. I do Hoppe's 9, CLP, then use Rem Oil on some moving parts like the rail. You can just use CLP though as well. That's what we used in the Marines exclusively. I'm going to stop using the Rem Oil when I use it all up because I've had it for like 15 years.