Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Queen Victorian posted:

Re: being a woman: Welp that's not encouraging but also not unexpected. I've always been a tomboy and work/have worked in various male-dominated fields so I'm no stranger to being the only girl in a thing, but I've not encountered blatant misogyny like that (just some underhanded sexism in the workplace, and long story short I'm now at a different and much better company that pays me way more money). I'm also used to old farts being old fashioned, but they generally don't bother me because their inclinations and sensibilities don't feel toxic/malicious, just old fashioned.

This definitely depends. On a public range it's always a greater chance of a weirdo. And I have had female friends have issues before. But at competitions I've never seen it be an issue. Part of that is because we generally discourage weirdos. But I think you also end up with a different selection of people than with the general public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

On the bolt action 22 side, I got a good deal on a new Ruger American Rimfire. No, it doesn't have all the Swagger of a really old bolt-action, wooden-stocked rifle. But, it scratches the bolt action itch, and it's really fun to shoot.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

tarlibone posted:

On the bolt action 22 side, I got a good deal on a new Ruger American Rimfire. No, it doesn't have all the Swagger of a really old bolt-action, wooden-stocked rifle. But, it scratches the bolt action itch, and it's really fun to shoot.

I like mine as well, and will recommend getting the Tech Sights for it as an upgrade.

Edit: Apparently there are wood stocked versions now.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

poeticoddity posted:

I like mine as well, and will recommend getting the Tech Sights for it as an upgrade.

Edit: Apparently there are wood stocked versions now.

I scoped mine with a Vortex. Not a fancy, pricey model--it retails for less than$l $200--but it's good enough for me.

I did put tech sights on my 10/22, and over on either the Range ot 22 LR thread, I showed what an OK shot like myself can accomplish at 50 yards in high wind with a Tech-Sights-equipped 10/22. (Ignore the elevation issue.)

I saw the wood stock versions on the Ruger website, but a local lawn shop had the poly stock version NIB for less than I'd pay online, so I... pulled the trigger.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Okay finally getting around to posting a comprehensive reply. Server going down for maintenance the other day was a bit of a setback as was more recent bullshit at work. Also I guess it's a good sign that it's been over a week and I'm still interested. And it's been super interesting to peruse the threads in TFR, and refreshing to know I'm not the only gun-liking liberal out there.

stealie72 posted:

Some answers- One of our Garand people will come kramer-ing in here any moment to talk about the best way to get one.

Do this anyway. They are literally 5% the cost of a Garand to shoot, will teach you the same fundamentals, and are super fun. Nobody here owns just one gun for long anyway.

Yeah definitely thinking I will. One time at the ranch I was hanging out on the patio and my dad comes out with the .22, hands it to me and tells me to shoot any ground squirrel that tried to drink out of the pool. I didn't ultimately hit any because I was super rusty and therefore my aim was terrible, but holy poo poo it was fun. Also tapped into my ADHD hyperfocus something fierce. 10/10 would do varmint patrol again.

quote:

Yes- even a 22 needs ear protection. Your construction grade protection may be fine, but you want to look for the largest noise reduction you can find/afford (at least 20db if not more). Fancy electronic protection isn't any better than $20 standard muffs, and in many cases lets more noise through. It's just nice to be able to hear people talk when there's not shooting going on. Most people with electronic muffs still wear plugs under them, especially indoors.

Yeah the noise cancelling sort of ones were what I was thinking about. My simple construction muffs block all the tool noise but also everything else and I'm imagining pulling up a muff to listen to someone talking to me just as someone else fires off a shot and defeating the purpose. I tend not to do well with ear plugs (or any sort of in-ear headphones/ear buds) due to a childhood incident in which a live insect got stuck inside my ear, resulting in a PTSD-esque response to poo poo stuck in my ears. I can try those malleable ones to see if I can get them into my ears without bothering me. Last thing I want is to be bothered and twitchy while trying to shoot a gun.

quote:

Not sure about PA, but most states require a hunter safety course before you can get your hunting license. Hopefully someone can chime in with a useful training course. IN the meantime, this is still a fabulous video 80 years later:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoZ_usoFVSc
And bonus, it's about the M1

Oh man this video is fantastic. I haven't been able to watch through it or the other available part yet but I definitely will. I appreciate the going into great detail about stance and sling work. Reminds me of fencing and the emphasis on footwork.

quote:

Keep hanging out here. In general, gun people are the worst brand to represent.

There's a few women floating around in TFR that can probably help you more, but holy poo poo is this a million dollar question. You will be talked down to. You will be told you should buy a tiny pink or purple pistol, you will be mansplained until you want to punch someone. I'm a middle aged white dad so can't help much with this, but there are an increasing number of lefty and LGBTQ+ shooting groups out there, and they may be a good place to start. My wife is a country girl that likes guns and shooting, but it's gotten harder and harder for her to be bothered to go to the range or to the gun store in the past few years as poo poo has devolved.

Yeah I'm in the same sort of country/ranch girl category. Good to know there are leftist and LGBTQ+ groups, though it's sad that a leftist gun group needs to exist. In the country no one cared about your politics.

quote:

Yes. Also, turn off recommendations in youtube. You will see some nazi poo poo. To avoid the worst of it, check this thread out-just be aware that it devolves into shoe chat in the last few pages: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894692

I will definitely turn off recommendations, thanks.

quote:

Be the change you want to see in the world. . .

Aww man but I wouldn't be able to write a good OP - reason I asked about a potato gun thread was because I wanted to learn about potato guns and help my friend rebuild her lovely potato gun. I actually found my grandpa's potato gun last summer but my friend was leery about restoring it because it hadn't been fired in 25 years and questionable storage conditions. It was a really good one too. Would also need to think of a clever thread title...

quote:

Edit: Also, you are likely aware, and don't let it stop you at all, but this is a historically terrible time to get into shooting. Ammo is dried up everywhere because of [insert who the gently caress knows what here, but some combo of covid slowdowns, commodity prices rising, hoarding for the Boogaloo/coming race war/antifa coming to your town, and a self-reinforcing cycle of scarcity and panic buying], guns are expensive because of the same poo poo, and the politics/social bullshit are as bad as they have ever been if not worse. But shooting rules, so if you can stick with it, things will only get better. Until the next down cycle.

Yeah I figured. It's an absolutely terrible time to do a lot of other things as well, so what's another thing for which it's a terrible time to start? World is in a weird, bad place in general. Might as well obtain a means to score some delicious venison.

quote:

Edit again: Also, duh, check out the military surplus shooting thread. Your home for Garandchat, and the gateway to getting into 150 year old guns with weird ammo: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909624

Already been perusing.

Action-Bastard posted:

This is all strictly opinion/perspective so take it with a grain of salt as you wish.

Honestly, probably not a great choice for a first gun. While a CMP service grade Garand is great value on an awesome firearm, itís not a newbie friendly rifle. Itís a tough rifle, itís a reliable rifle, but when it decides it doesnít want to work for whatever reason itís a bitch and a half to deal with. Stripping for detailed cleaning/maintenance is not fun or easy either. Ask me about having my Garand in pieces for 3 days as I tried and tried to get it back together after the first strip down. In addition to that youíre stuck buying expensive 30-06 whenever you want to go do some blasting.

Edit: Forgot to mention there's like a 6 month back log on CMP orders or some such right now according to some goons in Discord.

Yeah it'd be a step up from what I've experienced (pretty much every gun I've fired has been bolt action, now that I think about it, except for the one time I fired a revolver). I do have a tendency to throw myself into things at the deep end (like first-time house buying - why get an easy little starter home when we could get a huge fixer upper Victorian?). I agree about getting an easier/cheaper-to-use gun to get started with, and luckily I have my M1 Garand haver friend close by for in-person help.

quote:

This is a solid idea, even a semi-auto .22 like a Ruger 10/22 is a good choice. A bolt action in any common/available caliber is a good newbie gun. My first gun was an M91/30 but I had learned on .22 rifles prior.

I will look into the Ruger 10/22. I see them mentioned a lot. Though I do think an old bolt action would be the most nostalgic for me.

quote:

Iím not familiar with PAís laws, I believe we do have a PA specific thread around here. But honestly you should be able to walk into a gun shop, fill out the necessary paperwork, and then walk out with your firearm of choice if you passed the background check. CMP should have detailed instructions on their website as to how their process works, itís actually a bit more complicated and paperwork heavy than buying a gun in a shop, but mostly painless.

I'll be doing plenty of research.

quote:

Never a bad idea to get educated. You donít need to familiarize yourself with every type of firearm available so if your interest/focus is just long arms or rifles thatís no big deal. If you havenít already, First Aid is another high quality skill to have in this hobby.

First Aid is definitely a good idea. I know super basic poo poo but would love to improve those skills.

quote:

If you walk into a shop and you see a ton of punisher skulls, thin blue line, and ďsheep dogĒ poo poo youíre probably in for a bad time. In my limited experience with shops though these are pretty minimal and easily ignored. Iím in a fairly mixed and liberal part of Oregon so I think most shops know to avoid catering to the more toxic parts of gun culture.

Edit: Many shops will have a website or Facebook page. Give it a gander before visiting to see the poo poo they talk about. If it's strictly business chances are its a quality shop.

This is a good idea. I'll just hope any FB page is visible to unregistered viewers because even though I don't really use my FB account I don't want the fact that I viewed potentially bad poo poo to taint the algo. And I trust FB even less than Google/YouTube.

quote:

When it comes to instructional stuff, YouTube is a minefield of bad advice and scam artists pretending they were in the Special Forces. Me personally I just watch InRangeTV and now you have tacticoolgf as another safe resource. Iím sure some other goons are much better versed in what channels offer good advice or instructions though. Also, Iíve gone deep on shooting/gun videos and the worst Iíve seen is lovely hot takes from libertarians. Just give the video a thumbs down and YouTube will take care of the rest.
Tacticool: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrf47t3Id9HEpO5R6Icn4kQ

InRangeTV: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeUNM9NqJqZXfRNeuW4_2sg

I will give both these channels a look. I was reading one of the other threads (I think the fascism/authoritarianism identification thread) and came across the InRangeTV panel of women selecting the best gun for men and it was amazing.

Captain Log posted:

Cis white dude here -

There will be helpful people and good shops out there. You will have to be willing to handle some old fashioned fudd types, but they aren't all bad.

But yeah, there is a lot of bullshit to avoid and you will get assholes telling you to buy pink guns while trying to say, "MISSY, do you even know how to load this GUN?!" But even as a white guy who has shot since I was seven, I get talked down at. It happens to everyone, but I'd bet it's worse for women, POC, and LGBTQ+ folks.

We don't specifically have a women's thread and we should fix that.

Would already having my own guns (as in big ole rifles) mitigate the assholes telling me to get a pink pistol?

thekeeshman posted:

If you're in SW PA you might want to check out https://www.elitefirearmspgh.com/. Woman owned gun store and range, they have women instructors who teach classes, including a women-only Guns 101 class that my wife took and quite liked. Chuddiness was pretty much restricted to no one bothering to wear a mask, though no one gave my wife poo poo for wearing hers, and the first thing they did was exasperatedly ask whose men had sent them in with some stupid revolver.

Ooo this is pretty close. I will have to look into it. I very much like the idea of a ladies class with the way things are. I'll be fully vaccinated by Memorial Day so after that point I could deal with people not wearing masks. I looked at their website and they seem very hand gun/defensive shooting centric in their classes. Would bringing a rifle to one of these things be remotely appropriate or would it be better to just use one of their handguns and not look like a dipshit?

ZarathustraFollower posted:

I heard someone mention garands and the CMP.

Ok, so garands are fun, like, a poo poo ton of fun. Expensive to feed, but fuuuuuuckkkkkk they are great guns

I went from owning 1 .22 rifle to being able to strip a garand to a barreled receiver and rebuild it in 2 hours while holding a conversation in about 8 months.

So first off - for a starter rifle, get a .22lr, ideally like a ruger 10/22. Then take it to an appleseed class while tuning out the PATRIOTS DUTY history stuff. The rapid fire drills are why you'll want a semi auto 10/22 to start with. Feel free to look up classes near you and email the organizers as they tend to have spare rifles so you may be able to go before even purchasing a gun.

The 22lr is going to be the main gun you'll shoot just due to comfort and cost. I can blow through 100+ rounds of 22 without thinking about it, but I don't really want to shoot more than 12-24 rounds of 30-06 per range trip.

For the CMP specific stuff, you need to organize and submit all the required documents and its a few months wait time now. Service grade springfields are your best bet though, and you can include a sticky note with the order form asking for a WWII one ("sub 3.8 mil serial #"). If you have any questions about their paperwork, ask in the milsurp thread or discord, or hell, pm me.

Right now the Ohio store is closed (as is their south store in AL), but if you want to make a road trip once they reopen, I could even try to meet you to pick a real nice one out (last time a friend went with me I grabbed him a phenomenal birch 60s Red River rebuild).

This is even an outdated pic of my collection, as I've added an M1C and a couple other M1s to the collection.

Oh wow I would LOVE to pick out one in person. I might have to take you up on that - I could manage a day trip to Ohio for that. Thank you!

I'm not in any particular rush to obtain a gun, so I could wait for it to open if that means a chance at getting the best gun.

Chillyrabbit posted:

I would also like to mansplain and suggest taking a look at the M1 carbine, WW2 heritage but it has more modern features!

Detachable magazine!

High capacity!

Light and handy!

Low recoil!

M1 carbines are great rifles, but obviously not great for target shooting or hunting, as it is limited by the cartridge to 100-200 yards for accuracy. But it's a fun plinker type of rifle.

Hunting, you would be better served by buying a dedicated hunting rifle because modern ones are really cheap, easier to mount optics and a lot lighter and handier and just more effective for hunting.

Why not both? The M1 Carbine naturally came up in my online research about the Garand and it does seem really cool also.

I'll see if/when I get deep enough into hunting. I would not be opposed to getting more guns. Though I will say that there is a long game ulterior motive for me to get into guns/hunting - my great grandfather had an amazing collection of hunting guns and my cousin ended up with most of them. If I get into hunting I might be able to get him to cough one of them up.

Fearless posted:

Long term, if you want to shoot a large bore centerfire rifle like a Garand (or most other western military surplus arms) you might want to look into the practice of reloading your own ammunition. Being able to do so can help reduce costs (or shoot more for the same amount of money), allow you to really tailor your ammunition to your rifle and also allows one to even start shooting firearms so obsolete that commercial ammo hasn't been available since before the Great War. There are threads for both Military Surplus and Reloading in this very forum too!

Reloading sounds really cool! I didn't really know you could do that, but I get why you'd want to do that for uncommon/expensive/obsolete ammo. Also now I'm thinking about the scene in Jumanji when Van Pelt goes into the gun shop for more ammo and is informed that they stopped manufacturing that type in like 1903.

Fun fact: when I was little I'd collect the pretty brass shells to use as golden tankards at the banquets I'd set up for my toy animals. Also the banquet hall was made out of bones.

Anyhow, thanks for all the great responses. It's crazy that this amazing resource has been right under my nose all this time. I will certainly be lurking and researching and continuing to ask questions as they come.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Queen Victorian posted:

Reloading sounds really cool! I didn't really know you could do that, but I get why you'd want to do that for uncommon/expensive/obsolete ammo. Also now I'm thinking about the scene in Jumanji when Van Pelt goes into the gun shop for more ammo and is informed that they stopped manufacturing that type in like 1903.

Fun fact: when I was little I'd collect the pretty brass shells to use as golden tankards at the banquets I'd set up for my toy animals. Also the banquet hall was made out of bones.

To give you an idea of what reloading opens the door to: I regularly shoot an 1864 Snider Enfield and an 1887 Martini Henry, both long obsolete British service rifles. Large scale ammo production for both ceased by the beginning of the Second World War. The most commonly available commercial ammo is sold in antique auctions and costs at least $10-15 per round. Given its age, it is also prone to misfires (it won't go off) and hangfires (it goes off... eventually) Ammo for the Martini Henry can be had from a couple of very select reloading services, but it is not any cheaper. With my reloading gear, I am able to cast new projectiles from lead, create new brass cartridges for both rifles and recharge them for re-use-- usually at a cost per round of $0.75.

.45 Colt is available here in Canada, but at least $50 a box. I can reload those 50 rounds for something like $10 in components, and even less if I am using cast lead projectiles. The trade off is that reloading can be fairly dirty and time consuming.

But on the other hand, creating bespoke ammo for your favourite rifle that really helps it achieve its best accuracy is tremendously rewarding. And there is nothing like taking a long obsolete rifle and getting it talking once more for the first time in decades. With small arms that old, you really get the sense that you're not the owner but rather just the most recent caretaker.

All of this is a pretty deep rabbit hole to run down. Focusing on the basics of marksmanship and safety as you get started really is the main thing.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Queen Victorian posted:

Most metal banquet ever.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Queen Victorian posted:

Ooo this is pretty close. I will have to look into it. I very much like the idea of a ladies class with the way things are. I'll be fully vaccinated by Memorial Day so after that point I could deal with people not wearing masks. I looked at their website and they seem very hand gun/defensive shooting centric in their classes. Would bringing a rifle to one of these things be remotely appropriate or would it be better to just use one of their handguns and not look like a dipshit?

The Women's 101 class was definitely for handguns and was conducted at their indoor range, I don't think anyone's going to let you shoot a Garand indoors, or at least not while anyone else is in there.

The list of classes is here: https://www.elitefirearmspgh.com/ccms/index.cfm/classes-and-services/
Looks like they have a ladies-only intro to AR-15 class, and some ladies-only social shooting nights, but you could always call and ask for some private lessons with one of their female instructors who teaches rifle skills. They definitely do private lessons, my wife had a couple after the 101 class so she could get more proficient with her pistol.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

Can someone explain the purpose of this Ďgrip wrapí to me? https://www.preppergunshop.com/kel-...-grip-wrap.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

pipebomb posted:

Can someone explain the purpose of this Ďgrip wrapí to me? https://www.preppergunshop.com/kel-...-grip-wrap.html

It's made for asinine California gun laws. Pistol Grip = Probably Illegal is fifteen different ways. This "fixes" that problem.

A California goon will know the particulars, but that's the basic idea.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Captain Log posted:

It's made for asinine California gun laws. Pistol Grip = Probably Illegal is fifteen different ways. This "fixes" that problem.

A California goon will know the particulars, but that's the basic idea.

At what point do you attach it though? Like how do you get the rifle without the grip fin if it's illegal in that configuration? Do you have to go out of state, buy the gun, put the fin on, then bring it into CA? Or do you bring the fin into your gun shop when you pick up the gun and they put it on there?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

thekeeshman posted:

At what point do you attach it though? Like how do you get the rifle without the grip fin if it's illegal in that configuration? Do you have to go out of state, buy the gun, put the fin on, then bring it into CA? Or do you bring the fin into your gun shop when you pick up the gun and they put it on there?

I'll let one of our Subjects of the Glorious State of California answer. We have a few forums posters that could probably pass the bar in California from the amount of hazy legislation they've muddled through.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

I am not one of those bar-passers, but I go into gun stores a fair amount. The rifles already have them on. The rule is that it and the stock must be affixed such that you canít take it off without a tool.
So they make little brackets to put on your adjustable stock to somehow ďfix it in placeĒ with the help of an Allen screw, and those stupid fins you gotta clamp on.
Itís like that so you ďcannot wrap your thump around the stock or put it through a hole in the stock.Ē
Because thatís the problem, weíve fixed it. No more shootings in California!
Wait.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Jesus. That is truly idiotic.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Gimme Gimme Swedish Fish...

Fallen Rib

pipebomb posted:

Jesus. That is truly idiotic.

Welcome to gun laws, where the laws make no sense, and the results are made up.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

pipebomb posted:

Also for working around stupid NY laws

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.

To elaborate, in order to avoid having your centerfire rifle fall under the definition of an "assault weapon" and still be able to use detachable magazines, can't have any of the following in CA (unless you had it registered in time before some cutoff, which is another can of worms):

A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
A thumbhole stock.
A folding or telescoping stock.
A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
A flash suppressor.
A forward pistol grip.

Rifle has to be in that configuration before entering the state, so a compliant grip has to be installed before shipping to your FFL. There are middleman services that do this if the rifle isn't CA compliant, and many people just refuse to do business with anyone in CA because its too much effort.

So that's one way to have a legal rifle, typically called "featureless" (which is usually the preferred option for us in CA as we can use 10+ round mags bought or converted in a short window due to a judge suspending that law for a week, known as FREEDOM week ),

The other allows you to have the above features by having a nondetachable 10 rd mag (maglocked). But, if you have to disassemble the receiver to remove the mag that's ok. On ARs there are kits that allow you to press a button that splits the lower and upper receivers just a tiny bit and allows you to drop the mag.

So, ergonomic issues on featureless guns that make it harder to operate the gun safely (luckily ambi safeties exist for ARs) or finicky maglocked systems that make it difficult to clear jams and are limited to 10 rds. Pick your poison.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Queen Victorian posted:

Okay finally getting around to posting a comprehensive reply.

Late to the party. I've been dealing with a new job and some serial migraines so I haven't been on the forums much.

Definitely start the paperwork for picking up a CMP Garand. It's worth it, and even if you end up hating it it's worth it. I have no idea what happened to Action Bastard's fingers, but a Garand isn't hard to field strip at all. It's made for high school dropouts to maintain on a coral beach in the Pacific while being shelled- it's no Swiss watch. I found it intuitive, even after a few years in between detail strips.

You will want a .22. It'll happen, as certain as night follows day. Throwing dollar bills downrange is fun and all but you'll eventually get a 10/22 or CZ or Ruger Precision or whatever. Then probably an AR and an AK, and and and...

Drop in and say hi in the PA thread. A lot of us have gone to ground lately and had kids (I think Roundboy is up to 6 or 7, lost track) but there's still a number of active PA goons, mainly the horrible misanthropes like me. We're concentrated on the East, though. Once I land my second vaccination shot I'd be happy to do a Garand n' 22LR day provided you're not crazy and don't mind the drive out to Gap, which is the westernmost range I belong to. Hambulance and I have most of the WW2 playset as well as some stupid fun stuff. Might be a bit much of Turnpikin' to ask in a day, but it'd be a fun day. 600 yards, too.

Oh yeah, PA forbids semi-auto rifles in hunting. And I think there's a RFC going on this year or last to limit deer to .24 and above. You could hunt with your Garand if you disabled the gas system, but I guarantee you'll get stopped by a warden if they see you. Also it weighs roughly 80 lbs when walking around. I'm not sure as I'm not an active hunter.

Queen Victorian posted:

I tend not to do well with ear plugs (or any sort of in-ear headphones/ear buds) due to a childhood incident in which a live insect got stuck inside my ear, resulting in a PTSD-esque response to poo poo stuck in my ears. I can try those malleable ones to see if I can get them into my ears without bothering me. Last thing I want is to be bothered and twitchy while trying to shoot a gun.

I ended up ponying up the cash for a set of professional earplugs at an audiologist's. It cost about $200 all-in, but it's custom fit to my goofy ear canals, go about 3/4" in (!), and are comfortable. They're much more comfortable than the foam ones and actually seal unlike the DIY plastic cast. I don't like messing with things that are permanently damaged like eyeballs and eardrums. If you get serious into shooting it's an option. I double up with my plugs (with the 15db inserts, they're selectable) and some electronic muffs. Keeps the assholes two lanes down with the braked 308 quiet enough to do fun work with a 22 without jumping, and it lets me converse.

I honestly don't know how people not flinch. I've been shooting for a long while and I still hate full power rifles going off around me.

Queen Victorian posted:

In the country no one cared about your politics.

I've found this to be the exact opposite in my experience.

Don't worry too much about the bullshit. The loudest voices in the gun community are essentially 100% bullshit any way you slice it. Just smile and nod and walk away. I was a RO for a Glock shoot when one of the other ROs went on a serious rant, almost yelling, about how Obama was making the Pledge of Allegiance illegal and all true patriots will need to prepare. Just pure hot noise. gently caress 'em. There is a large, silent... I wouldn't say majority, but plurality, who are kind, rational, and nice. At another shoot I got into an argument with a gay judge as to exactly how much the military budget should be reduced. They're out there.

Anyway, welcome to the hobby. Good luck finding ammo.

DkHelmet fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 25, 2021

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

DkHelmet posted:

welcome to the hobby. Good luck finding ammo.

New thread title.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

New thread title.

Seconded.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

DkHelmet posted:

I honestly don't know how people not flinch. I've been shooting for a long while and I still hate full power rifles going off around me.

I don't flinch at much, but some grandad with the cannon two lanes down with the shockwave I can feel gets me about half the time, but I've only been shooting for about a year lol.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Didnt we have a range goober thread before? A lot has changed in here during my absence.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Range goober in the sense of someone being dumb or unsafe on the firing line? Yeah, but over time it degenerated into politically charged toxic slapfights.

That stuff could probably go in the tacticlol thread, or maybe the racism thread if it's that flavor of dumb.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah "stupid bullshit" threads always devolved into lovely name calling semantic slap fights over the dumbest poo poo.

Sucks since they were also a huge source of hilarious stories.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Please, please, PLEASE donít forget the glorious thread for Grandpa Emails and stupid gun advertisements.

(Even if there is racism/xenophobic overlap, that thread is for laughing at idiots.)

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Is this a good Ďstarterí rifle for someone who has only had handguns and 9mm carbines before?
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/springfield-saint-ar-15-semi-automatic-556-nato-223-remington-16-barrel-301-rounds?a=2232939

Also, are all the magazines cross-compatible for this caliber?
[edit] By starter, I mean pre-built, ready to roll.

pipebomb fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 27, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

pipebomb posted:

Is this a good Ďstarterí rifle for someone who has only had handguns and 9mm carbines before?
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/springfield-saint-ar-15-semi-automatic-556-nato-223-remington-16-barrel-301-rounds?a=2232939

This is the go to AR for quite a few different goons. You can find it cheaper. I believe I paid $799.

I'm not Mr. Rounds Through an AR, but I like to mention it because of Ruger's stellar customer service.

https://ruger.com/products/ar556MPR/specSheets/8514.html

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Captain Log posted:

This is the go to AR for quite a few different goons. You can find it cheaper. I believe I paid $799.

I'm not Mr. Rounds Through an AR, but I like to mention it because of Ruger's stellar customer service.

https://ruger.com/products/ar556MPR/specSheets/8514.html

I do love my RugersÖ🤔

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

pipebomb posted:

Is this a good ‘starter’ rifle for someone who has only had handguns and 9mm carbines before?

I have an earlier version of this with keymod furniture. It's a solid rifle but I wish I'd gotten one that was a flat top. That is to say, I recently bought a flat top Ruger just to have a flat top (and an 18" barrel) and now I've got one AR I can comfortably scope and one that's got a red dot co-witnessed with irons.

Keep in mind that the Ruger probably doesn't come with flip up irons (mine didn't) so that's a separate purchase, but it's otherwise "ready to roll".

Springfield has started making flat top Saints since I bought mine so you may want to look into those. I have been very impressed with the price to quality ratio on my Saint.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

pipebomb posted:

Pretty much any AR you buy from a big manufacturer is going to be g2g. Unless youíre getting into weird poo poo like piston ARs, side charging uppers, or non .223 calibers then itís probably going to run fine. All AR specific mags in .223 will work, the only issue is if you buy something thatís for one of the variant calibers like 6.5g, 6.8SPC or the like. That would be clearly marked on the mag though and you would probably have to go out of your way to buy. Side-note, some mag manufacturers have come out with .300blk specific mags, but older mags may be marked .223/.300blk. These cartridges are close in size (.300blk is just a larger/heavier bullet in a slightly shorter .223 case) and are pretty interchangeable as far as mags go.

For a no frills pre-built AR the Springfield or previously mentioned Ruger are decent bets.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Man, this poo poo is confusing. Looking at ammo and the 5.56x45 vs .223 Remington stuff makes it seem like you can blow your hands off if you choose badly. Maybe Iíll buy a bb gun instead.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

It's just remembering 5.56 barrels can safely handle 5.56x45mm and .223, but not the other way around.

Then remembering .308 barrels can handle .308 & 7.62x51mm, but not the other way around.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

pipebomb posted:

Man, this poo poo is confusing. Looking at ammo and the 5.56x45 vs .223 Remington stuff makes it seem like you can blow your hands off if you choose badly. Maybe Iíll buy a bb gun instead.

Really itís not that bad. Most AR-15s now are going to be chambered in 5.56, or they will specifically say .223 only. Both the Ruger and Springfield are chambered in 5.56. Most ammo you buy is going to be .223, itís by far more common in big box stores. Either way I wouldnít worry too much about it.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Cool. Thanks yíall.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

It for sure doesnít have sights. Mine has a hand me down pair of Magpuls and in Aimpoint T2 on a fast detach mount.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

pipebomb posted:

the Saint was pretty broadly panned when it came out, and anecdotal reports from gunshop owners say they're likely to need a return trip to the factory. I'd steer clear.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I got babby's first rimfire scope and got it mounted. I only have a soft case for storage/transport and now I'm wondering.... During transport to the range it's possible that the scope could contact something that would knock it out of alignment, so should I pop the scope on only when I'm ready to do, or does attaching and removing it cause a bigger variation in alignment? I have quick release rings on it so it's very fast and easy to do.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Poldarn posted:

I got babby's first rimfire scope and got it mounted. I only have a soft case for storage/transport and now I'm wondering.... During transport to the range it's possible that the scope could contact something that would knock it out of alignment, so should I pop the scope on only when I'm ready to do, or does attaching and removing it cause a bigger variation in alignment? I have quick release rings on it so it's very fast and easy to do.

If your scope is of even modest quality, it should hold zero despite minor bumps or vibration from transport. If your scope mount comes loose, which I've had happen with quick release mounts, that will shift zero, but re-tightening the bolts usually fixes that, so you probably want to bring a screw driver or allen key or whatever tools you need with you.

I would only consider removing the scope for transport if you think breakage is a serious risk you can only avoid by removing it. I've had no issues transporting scoped rifles in soft cases, even when stacked on top of one another in the back seat of a pickup bumping along dirt roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Perfect thanks! It's less fragile than I imagined.