Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

I am ready to buy my first gun, and want a Glock 19. I tried searching online for one but they all seem to be sold out. My price range is < $700. Is buying it online feasible, or should I just contact local gun stores and see if they have any in stock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Definitely look around local gun shops. If you know what you’re looking for, most places will play ball and let you know how often stuff comes in stock, and you’ll likely find one for 550ish (for a gen3).
I generally have decent luck with smaller shops, but I’m a straight white guy and am good at going undercover into stupid chuddy gun shops, ymmv.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

human garbage bag posted:

I am ready to buy my first gun, and want a Glock 19. I tried searching online for one but they all seem to be sold out. My price range is < $700. Is buying it online feasible, or should I just contact local gun stores and see if they have any in stock?

Gen 3 and Gen 5 appear to be in stock at multiple retailers well below that price threshold.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

Also, on gunbroker, you can use advanced search to look for ‘buy it now’ only in your state. This helps you narrow down what’s local and you can avoid shipping hassle. For instance, here’s that search for TN:
https://www.gunbroker.com/Pistols/search?Keywords=glock%2019&BuyNowOnly=1&State=TN&Sort=4&PageSize=96

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

Ooooh…

On another note, if an item doesn’t have a bid yet and it is an individual, message them and see if they want to deal. That saves them fees.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

pipebomb posted:

Ooooh…

On another note, if an item doesn’t have a bid yet and it is an individual, message them and see if they want to deal. That saves them fees.

That is terrible looking...I want it...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

It's just remembering 5.56 barrels can safely handle 5.56x45mm and .223, but not the other way around.

Then remembering .308 barrels can handle .308 & 7.62x51mm, but not the other way around.
Ideally you want a rifle with a 223 Wylde chamber, which handles both without issue.

I don't know if there's something similar for 308/7.62?

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

poeticoddity posted:

Gen 3 and Gen 5 appear to be in stock at multiple retailers well below that price threshold.

Thanks! Just ordered a gen 5 for $600 using my phone in five minutes, what a world we live in.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Thanks! Just ordered a gen 5 for $600 using my phone in five minutes, what a world we live in.

It always amuses me to see the difference in reactions to "I bought a gun on the internet," between older gun owners and non-gun owners.

"You bought a gun on the internet?" vs. "You bought a gun on the internet?"

Then the former is surprised at what you were able to find that wasn't available at the local shop and the latter is astonished to find out they don't just deliver it to your house and leave it at your doorstep.

The number of firearm enthusiasts who are Gen X or younger and had never considered buying ammo online blows my mind, too.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

It seems like it would be treated like liquor, which is restricted in many states. (Ammo and guns are also restricted here, but I realize that’s more of an exception than not.)

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 30, 2021

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

My first online gun purchase was an incredible deal on a Daniel Defense AR ($1,050, usually $1,700). I knew it would sell out fast so I was like "well, guess it's time to figure out how to buy a gun online ASAP." Shocked at how easy it was when the site has an auto-FFL lookup. Basically like buying anything else online, with one extra step. A real "that's it?" moment.

It did end up selling out fifteen minutes after I placed my order.

Good choice by the way.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 30, 2021

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

It is mostly that easy. Till you run into a lovely FFL. Most of them are real happy to take your $20-$40 for 10 minutes of paperwork, but every once in a while, you get a Comic Book Guy but gun guy who wants to be an rear end.

If your FFL transfer experience is lovely, find a different FFL.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

I want to buy a Mosin-Nagant carbine and found one online for $625, is that a reasonable price? Also is there a list of sites somewhere that are good places to go when shopping for guns? Right now I'm just googling and going down the list.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Sorry but I don't know the market value of Mosin carbines these days but I know it makes me to remember when those were sub-$200. Some goons that were here longer can remember the days of sub-$100 ones.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

When I was a kid the local hardware store had a literal barrel of Mosins for $40 each.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

I want to buy a Mosin-Nagant carbine and found one online for $625, is that a reasonable price? Also is there a list of sites somewhere that are good places to go when shopping for guns? Right now I'm just googling and going down the list.

Which website? Folks here can tell you a lot from a glance. That sounds expensive, but milsurp isn't my thing.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Some thoughts in no specific order:
  • Mosins are a lot more expensive than they used to be, such that generic Soviet ones are not really worth it unless you specifically want one of those.
  • That said, you can still find Soviet M91/30s and M44s, and postwar Warsaw Pact M44s, for well under $625 if you watch Gunbroker for a bit.
  • $625 can also get you a decent Finnish one.
  • Don't buy from Classic Firearms.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Another thing to note is 7.62x54r is a lot more expensive than it used to be. IIRC there's new bans in Russian imports regarding ammo so that will make things even worse.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

Is there another bolt-action carbine that is cheap and has cheap ammo that I should consider?

Also in gun stores, should you ask for permission before picking up and examining a gun that is not behind the counter? For example a circular rack of rifles.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Is there another bolt-action carbine that is cheap and has cheap ammo that I should consider?

Also in gun stores, should you ask for permission before picking up and examining a gun that is not behind the counter? For example a circular rack of rifles.

Unfortunately at the current moment nothing in the world of guns and ammo is cheap, or at least not in comparison to pre-pandemic. 22lr guns are and always will be relatively cheap for both the guns and ammunition but if you want a bigger cartridge you'll have to narrow it down a bit more. Do you want an older milsurp WW1 or 2 style rifle or is something more modern ok?

For you second question it just depends on the store. Most places it's probably ok to pick up guns out on racks without asking but if in doubt just say "hey is it alright if I handle these?"

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

If you could tell us more specifically what you're looking for that would help.

Do you want a mosin because it's appealing or because you want a cheaper boltgun? What is your budget (what do you consider cheap)?

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

NickBlasta posted:

If you could tell us more specifically what you're looking for that would help.

Do you want a mosin because it's appealing or because you want a cheaper boltgun? What is your budget (what do you consider cheap)?

I'm looking for the cheapest bolt-action carbine rifle that can hold at least 5 rounds, has a similar muzzle energy to the mosin m44, and has cheap ammo. My budget is < $700 since that is what I'm seeing mosin m44s going for.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Whats your use case? Generally loving around and making rad carbine fireballs, or something else?

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

I'm looking for the cheapest bolt-action carbine rifle that can hold at least 5 rounds, has a similar muzzle energy to the mosin m44, and has cheap ammo. My budget is < $700 since that is what I'm seeing mosin m44s going for.

Ruger American in your choice of calibers and trim level.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

If you don't have a specific interest in M44s beyond the cost ("it's just neat" is a valid reason to get one), any modern bolt action rifle from a reputable company like Ruger or Savage is going to much more pleasant to shoot, accurate, and cheaper.

A Ruger American in .308 probably fits the bill. The compact version if keeping length down is a priority. https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleCompact/specSheets/6907.html

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

I've got a Ruger American Predator in .308 that I like, but it only holds 4 rounds if you get the version with the rotary magazine. There's a version that will take AR-10 mags which I would have bought if it'd been available at the time.
There are other model types than the Predator that have longer barrels if that's your thing.
In addition to Ruger's offerings, you may want to look into Savage (I think it's the "Axis" line).

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

poeticoddity posted:

In addition to Ruger's offerings, you may want to look into Savage (I think it's the "Axis" line).

Don't do this. The ruger is very such superior to the Savage let alone the budget axis line.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

Dip Viscous posted:

If you don't have a specific interest in M44s beyond the cost ("it's just neat" is a valid reason to get one), any modern bolt action rifle from a reputable company like Ruger or Savage is going to much more pleasant to shoot, accurate, and cheaper.

A Ruger American in .308 probably fits the bill. The compact version if keeping length down is a priority. https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleCompact/specSheets/6907.html

Perfect, just bought one for $420 including shipping, thanks! Looking online the .308 ammo is about 30% more expensive than the 7.62x54mmR ammo, but I plan to do reloading anyway so the ammo cost isn't a factor in this case.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

Don't do this. The ruger is very such superior to the Savage let alone the budget axis line.

Whoah. Good to know.

My only hands-on comparison between analogous Savage and Ruger products are the Savage MK II and Ruger American Rimfire, so I didn't know there was that much of a quality delta.
Thanks for the heads up.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I've got to spend some money on non-gun stuff, but a bolt-action in a rifely caliber would be nice. I have the American Rimfire.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

poeticoddity posted:

Whoah. Good to know.

My only hands-on comparison between analogous Savage and Ruger products are the Savage MK II and Ruger American Rimfire, so I didn't know there was that much of a quality delta.
Thanks for the heads up.

Savage used to be good for the price. But their design is dated and their qc has slipped. Meanwhile several very solid options have begun to compete with them on every price level and they haven't responded. It won't blow up but it may not work well out if the box.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Perfect, just bought one for $420 including shipping, thanks! Looking online the .308 ammo is about 30% more expensive than the 7.62x54mmR ammo, but I plan to do reloading anyway so the ammo cost isn't a factor in this case.

drat, I didn't think I was selling it that hard lol.

Let us know how it goes and don't forget to pick out a scope.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

It cant hurt to ask but also can depend on what and there tour looking, if I’m looking at a $100 10/22 yeah owner wont care but if I’m looking at a $5200 Blaser shotgun I’ll ask since the owner will probably want to make sure I don’t scratch it. I also ask about dry firing a gun since some people do not like it if you do it.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

My local range/store actually has floor models of 40 or so pistols cabled to a bunch of circular displays. The store files down the firing pins on all of them so they can't go off, though hearing the clicking of someone dryfiring behind you while you wait at the counter can make you feel nervous.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Trillhouse posted:

My local range/store actually has floor models of 40 or so pistols cabled to a bunch of circular displays. The store files down the firing pins on all of them so they can't go off, though hearing the clicking of someone dryfiring behind you while you wait at the counter can make you feel nervous.

They file them down??

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

my kinda ape posted:

They file them down??

That's what they tell me!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I see they are from the Bob Lee Swagger school of keeping a firearm safe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp89lX30OC8

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

Is it viable to use a bike lock to secure my guns by looping it through the trigger hole and then around some permanent fixture in my house?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

It would work as well as a bike lock can, which if you watch Lockpicking Lawyer, isn't that much.

IMO a better solution would be getting a case and locking that to a permanent fixture in your house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Is it viable to use a bike lock to secure my guns by looping it through the trigger hole and then around some permanent fixture in my house?

Assuming you're referring to the trigger guard, that still leaves the guns capable of being loaded and fired while affixed whereas running a cable lock through the action prevents that unless the cable is cut or the lock is picked.