Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Trillhouse posted:

Yeah gun culture can be pretty lovely. I really, really hate the new-school "tactical instagram operator" and find them equally as obnoxious as boomer fudds.

Competiive shooting is usually a lot better because it's mostly concerned with the sporting/game aspect. Plus, like any proper martial art, it's completely humbling and showing up more than once means you've accepted that there are old guys with pot bellies out there that can absolutely destroy you in every aspect of marksmanship. There are a lot of guys (especially cops lol) that show up once and never come back because they can't accept that they're not as good as they think they are.

I am solidly comfortable with sucking at things I compete at. And measuring against myself against me. :-) I don't give up though.

I'm currently hunting some sort of pistol so I can do the whole competition thing. Which thread do I drop into to talk choosing a pistol? (I'm currently looking at the Sar CM9)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Nerobro posted:

I am solidly comfortable with sucking at things I compete at. And measuring against myself against me. :-) I don't give up though.

I'm currently hunting some sort of pistol so I can do the whole competition thing. Which thread do I drop into to talk choosing a pistol? (I'm currently looking at the Sar CM9)

Competition mega thread!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3285367

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The physical Brownells store is the singular time I've been in a gun store and been treated like a human instead of having racial slurs hurled at me.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Dip Viscous posted:

The physical Brownells store is the singular time I've been in a gun store and been treated like a human instead of having racial slurs hurled at me.

I find big box stores like Sportsmans' Warehouse & Cabelas to have the least horrible staff as there's a corporate structure in place to enforce some basic human dignity.

Well... At least the staff are told to not hurl racial slurs at customers. They could still be incompetent & hate you, but at least you can complain to management & get them fired.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Android Apocalypse posted:

I find big box stores like Sportsmans' Warehouse & Cabelas to have the least horrible staff as there's a corporate structure in place to enforce some basic human dignity.

Well... At least the staff are told to not hurl racial slurs at customers. They could still be incompetent & hate you, but at least you can complain to management & get them fired.

I've had good experiences with the Sportman's on 82nd. John is great! :downs:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

Endorsed by:
Pentecoastal Elites!
fart_man_69!
Terminal autist!
Ruzihm!
Judakel!
Dixon Chisholm!
Nix Panicus!
Neurolimal!

Is this the best place to ask about law poo poo?

I live in Texas, will be moving to Kentucky next year, and now starting September 1st (I think?) Texas will have the 'constitutional carry' thing, with Kentucky already having it (also I think? I did a fairly brief google to confirm and it seems like it does?)

I'm kinda confused on what that actually means, though. The stuff I've seen just says 'anyone that could get a license can carry a firearm regardless', so meaning if I legally could have gotten a license anyway and legally own a gun that's...it? Do I need to...do anything else? I know this sounds like a joke and all but I genuinely don't know if it's that easy under that system or if people reporting on it are being hyperbolic or what. I've been kinda considering learning to shoot and all that so I guess I'm just asking if once both states I plan on living in have 'constitutional carry' (is there a less dumbass name for it?) is the only process I'd need just, ya know, legally getting a gun and finding a class and all?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Waiting for his chance

If you plan to carry a gun, which is not the same as just learning to shoot, take a class in any state where you intend to carry. The details of exactly what you can do vary from state to state. Even if you don't need a permit, you do need to know whether you can carry in bars, movie theaters, schools, etc, and the rules in Kentucky are almost certainly not exactly the same as in Texas.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

Endorsed by:
Pentecoastal Elites!
fart_man_69!
Terminal autist!
Ruzihm!
Judakel!
Dixon Chisholm!
Nix Panicus!
Neurolimal!

Oh yea I 100% plan on taking classes before I ever make any choice on if I'm going to actually 'carry' or just keep it safe at home or whatever, I know the actual laws of where guns can go and how and all are different.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

sexpig by night posted:

Is this the best place to ask about law poo poo?

I live in Texas, will be moving to Kentucky next year, and now starting September 1st (I think?) Texas will have the 'constitutional carry' thing, with Kentucky already having it (also I think? I did a fairly brief google to confirm and it seems like it does?)

I'm kinda confused on what that actually means, though. The stuff I've seen just says 'anyone that could get a license can carry a firearm regardless', so meaning if I legally could have gotten a license anyway and legally own a gun that's...it? Do I need to...do anything else? I know this sounds like a joke and all but I genuinely don't know if it's that easy under that system or if people reporting on it are being hyperbolic or what. I've been kinda considering learning to shoot and all that so I guess I'm just asking if once both states I plan on living in have 'constitutional carry' (is there a less dumbass name for it?) is the only process I'd need just, ya know, legally getting a gun and finding a class and all?

I live in a state that doesn't require carry permits. You can just buy a pistol off the rack, stuff it in your pocket and walk out of the store, legally.

There's some restricted places like courthouses and schools, but it really is that simple.

Obviously you should still take a class, get a real holster, etc. And read up on local laws.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Even if it's not required, I'd like to emphasize that a class is worth paying for. Unless it's a lovely one.

The one I took was great and focused on the legal aspects of carry rather than the safety poo poo everyone over the age of 3 already knows. The instructor also brought a huge tote of holsters and dummy training pistols for people to try on. Dude was awesome.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Dip Viscous posted:

Even if it's not required, I'd like to emphasize that a class is worth paying for. Unless it's a lovely one.

The one I took was great and focused on the legal aspects of carry rather than the safety poo poo everyone over the age of 3 already knows. The instructor also brought a huge tote of holsters and dummy training pistols for people to try on. Dude was awesome.

That is a really cool thing for an instructor to do. My CCW class was also mainly the legal aspects but having various samples would be great for beginners to see how different platforms work.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

I'm interested in buying an AR for my first rifle, but I'm definitely at the point in my education where assembling my own from the billion different options for each individual component is not the smart choice for me. As such, I'm looking at fully assembled rifles, but I wanted to know if there are any manufacturers to either trust or avoid. If I remember correctly Ruger is a name that used to mean quality, now it means trash. Any other names I should look for/avoid?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Lucky Guy posted:

I'm interested in buying an AR for my first rifle, but I'm definitely at the point in my education where assembling my own from the billion different options for each individual component is not the smart choice for me. As such, I'm looking at fully assembled rifles, but I wanted to know if there are any manufacturers to either trust or avoid. If I remember correctly Ruger is a name that used to mean quality, now it means trash. Any other names I should look for/avoid?

What's your budget?

InRange working with Brownell's put together some rifles for their What Would Stoner Do? 2020 project that are supposed to be really, really nice. However they're like $1800. There's lots of options down to like $600 though IIRC. Or more if you're rich!

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

my kinda ape posted:

What's your budget?

InRange working with Brownell's put together some rifles for their What Would Stoner Do? 2020 project that are supposed to be really, really nice. However they're like $1800. There's lots of options down to like $600 though IIRC. Or more if you're rich!

$800-900

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Lucky Guy posted:

I'm not aware of Ruger having taken a big downslide in quality. I've bought a few new Rugers in the past few years, and unless things have taken a turn in the last year or so a Ruger AR (or any other gun) would be a solid buy in my opinion.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ruger has some solid options in that price range.

When it's available the IWI zion-15 was around $850 and is also decent.

Keep in mind you'll also likely need $100-150 for a decent red dot (a sig Romeo5 is my go-to right now) and probably another $30-50 for a few magazines then a couple hundred bucks worth of ammo to practice with

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Lucky Guy posted:

My most recent AR purchase was a Ruger AR-556 MPR and literally my only complaint (other than that it didn't come with BUIS, which is pretty common for flat-top, free-float AR-15s) is that they are currently substantially less expensive than my impulse buy earlier this year. :sigh:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

poeticoddity posted:

My most recent AR purchase was a Ruger AR-556 MPR and literally my only complaint (other than that it didn't come with BUIS, which is pretty common for flat-top, free-float AR-15s) is that they are currently substantially less expensive than my impulse buy earlier this year. :sigh:

I think this forum owns four or five Ruger MPRs, myself included. They rock, according to everyone with access so a rifle range.

Bill Ruger said some poo poo things a while ago and angered the gun community. But their guns are great and customer service is top notch. Whereas a company like SIG has a…different approach to QC and CS.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Lucky Guy posted:

If I remember correctly Ruger is a name that used to mean quality, now it means trash.

You are thinking of Remington probably. Ruger is good as far as I know.

Remington got bought by one of those vampire financial firms that strips all value out of a company and then discards the bankrupt husk, just like happened with Toys R Us and many others. I think they recently were sold so maybe they will make a comeback as not garbage but for the last few years they sacrificed their QC so Mitt Romney could have a sixth mansion or whatever.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 4, 2021

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

My wife loves her M&P-15. Recently had a red dot installed, although it came with decent irons.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

tarlibone posted:

My wife loves her M&P-15. Recently had a red dot installed, although it came with decent irons.

Friends don't let friends use iron sights. This is the 21st century dammit.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

:shrug: I don't know. I like 'em. Even on an AR-15, they're fun. I can't drive tacks at 50 yards with the stock iron sights, but I can hit the target in what would be its center mass, and that's kind-of the point of that rifle.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Iron sights are the manual transmission of firearms: cool to know how to utilize them, but modern options are available for a nominal :20bux: more that do such a better job.

One of my friends got a Taurus X22 with the express idea of getting a Holosun HS507C with the Vulcan ACSS reticle to teach new handgun shooters. I'm seriously considering doing the same.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

My Ruger AR is great.

I also like iron sights, but not on my main rifle.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

my kinda ape posted:

You are thinking of Remington probably. Ruger is good as far as I know.

Remington got bought by one of those vampire financial firms that strips all value out of a company and then discards the bankrupt husk, just like happened with Toys R Us and many others. I think they recently were sold so maybe they will make a comeback as not garbage but for the last few years they sacrificed their QC so Mitt Romney could have a sixth mansion or whatever.

Yes, that sounds exactly right. im incredibly smart you see and

L0cke17 posted:

Ruger has some solid options in that price range.

When it's available the IWI zion-15 was around $850 and is also decent.

Keep in mind you'll also likely need $100-150 for a decent red dot (a sig Romeo5 is my go-to right now) and probably another $30-50 for a few magazines then a couple hundred bucks worth of ammo to practice with

I know I'll need additional expenses like a sight and mags and ammo and such, but that's in next month's budget. Anything over $900 for the rifle itself is going to some serious thought and justification.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Lucky Guy posted:

Yes, that sounds exactly right. im incredibly smart you see and

I know I'll need additional expenses like a sight and mags and ammo and such, but that's in next month's budget. Anything over $900 for the rifle itself is going to some serious thought and justification.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/736676085149
Multiple online retailers with it for under $750, currently.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Or you can run irons and an Aimpoint.

And then just stare at the rifle.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

I'm forcing myself to learn my iron sights at least to get half decent at 50yds on my AK, cause I love doing things the hard way. See also learning to shoot on an AK I sppose, lol.

nudejedi fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 4, 2021

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

My first shooting comp back in May had a long range section and a guy with a plain AK rang those final 600y targets with irons.

It was pretty impressive.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

InRange/Brownells/KE Arms also came out with a somewhat less Gucci version of the WWSD2020 rifle called the Civil Defense Rifle, which costs $1300 instead of $1700. It also has the advantage of being available now, while all the people who pre-ordered the full WWSD rifle are waiting for KE to figure out how to make their own carbon fiber handguards, since the ones they originally specced for the rifle are unavailable.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Waiting for his chance

That makes me want to order one on the time-honored basis of "by the time it ships, I'll be able to pay for it." The only problem is that I already have one gun in that state, and past a certain point, it doesn't hold up anymore.

My first AR was a ban-era carbine with a carry handle receiver. I wanted to be locked into iron sights because I know my self and my spending habits, I knew I'd want to keep chasing the new hotness in optics, and back in the day, I knew I couldn't afford to.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

My first AR was a ban-era carbine with a carry handle receiver. I wanted to be locked into iron sights because I know my self and my spending habits, I knew I'd want to keep chasing the new hotness in optics, and back in the day, I knew I couldn't afford to.

My friend, have you heard the good gospel of the gooseneck? Come over here and let Brother IR35 tell you about it. . .

Gnoman
Feb 11, 2014

"What we therefore hath joined together, let Gnoman put asunder..."

Lucky Guy posted:

Plenty of good recommendations for what to look *for*, but not so much in the "avoid" column.

If you buy used, or your gun shop does "house builds", avoid Palmetto State Armory (PSA) like the plague. Even with just their plain and non-offensive setups, they have pretty infamously terrible quality control.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Cyrano4747 posted:

My friend, have you heard the good gospel of the gooseneck? Come over here and let Brother IR35 tell you about it. . .

Hell, with tall mounts becoming a thing for NVG users you're ahead of the curve.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Cyrano4747 posted:

Brothers and sisters, let me tell you a tale of having your cake and eating it too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Waiting for his chance

See where I said first AR? My home built is already one its second red dot. You can't tempt me to your gooseneck ways, sorcerer.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

See where I said first AR? My home built is already one its second red dot. You can't tempt me to your gooseneck ways, sorcerer.

*ensorceling intensifies*

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Goosnecks.

Anyone here remember old-fashioned good cameras? The kind where instead of a viewfinder that's a lie, you're actually composing your shot through the camera's lens because there's a mirror that lets you do that? And when you take a picture, the mirror flips out of the way, the viewfinder goes dark (duh), and the picture is taken? Give me optics like that.

Except instead of the lens, it's the gun's barrel.

Call it the James Bond Sight.

C'mon, science.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Waiting for his chance

I use a DSLR with a proper mirror to this very day, sir!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I use a DSLR with a proper mirror to this very day, sir!

I still have film SLRs that I use on a regular basis! :colbert: