Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

That was my first AR. Excellent gun company with great customer service. You'll have a hard time getting all those features for that price anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Thermopyle posted:

Streamlight TLR-6 for my new Glock 45 for home defense. Yes/no/other? Laser version or not?

I use one because I carry my Glocks and prefer how small it is, but if you arenít carrying I canít think of a good reason not to get a TLR-1. Itís a whole lot brighter, making it better for investigating bumps in the night.

Laser? Iíll let people smarter than me weigh in on that. Personally, I donít think itís something needed. You donít need to search for a laser before firing.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

rump buttman posted:

I was thinking literally pocket w/ holster of some kind. I am weary of wearing anything on my belt in the shop (tool and die) because I donít want to bump anything. I usually wear a vest under my apron. I was thinking of using the exterior vest pocket.

I also know that practically speaking, I should shoot a bunch of rounds (hundreds? thousands?) out of whatever gun I want to carry before carrying. Even if itís just carrying around the shop.

^^^^^^^^^^
Are kahrs bad or just bad compared to glocks? With my wife already having a 19 a 43 already makes the most practical sense. I did like shooting the brother in laws Kahr. I thought the trigger let me be more accurate.

There are a lot of people here with better qualifications than me to give shooting advice, but I've put a gently caress ton of rounds through P3AT/LCP patterned guns. (Look up Ruger LCP 1 and you'll get the idea.)

Those guns can be punishing to shoot, especially at the start of your "shooting career." I'd advise watching your shooting habits when working with pocket guns, because those guns are pretty flinch inducing if you aren't careful.

But I'm not here to give shooting advice, I wanted to share a story.

A few years ago, I upgraded to a purple Ruger LCP. Like I mentioned, I've put a lot of rounds through those guns. But I broke a rule of concealed carry - I carried the gun without shooting it. I owned four or five Rugers and felt comfortable shooting that type of gun.

When I finally got to the range, it was a lemon. It absolutely couldn't get through more than two or three rounds without having a nasty malfunction. Because I was stupid and overconfident, I was carrying a gun that would have jammed.

Ruger did the right thing and replaced the slide assembly and had it back to me in about a week. But every gun manufacturer can make a lemon. Test your guns before you trust your life to them.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

rump buttman posted:

Thanks for the information everyone (and with my other inquiries). Sounds like I really should wait until I can go to the gun shop/range, handle a bunch of models and put in enough trigger time to make sure it always pops before putting it on me.

Looking forward to check out the lcps along with the small glocks and kahrs side by side when I can.

Opinions Ahead - Beware - Some other posters shoot more than me and a few shoot a shitload more than me

I've got both a G43, LCP, and Kel Tec P3AT that the LCP was patterned from.

The LCP is a true pocket gun. I've carried some variant of it since 2008/09ish and it goes everywhere. If you decide to carry, it needs to be an all the time thing. It's like a seat belt - you always wear it because it's about safety. Those tiny little .380s will disappear in a pocket.

The G43 is also a carry gun for me. But I have IWB (Inside the Waistband) and OWB (outside the waistband) holsters for it. I bought a pocket holster, then laughed at the concept when I tried. It's a much bigger firearm. Maybe you could pocket carry it in cargo pockets? Hell if I know.

The LCP is a bitch to shoot, though. Trigger bite was a problem for me. I have long, skinny fingers and my trigger finger kept getting caught between the trigger and the guard which would draw blood. Putting 50 rounds through one is a chore, even after practice.

The G43, in my opinion, is an easy shooter. It is simple to get on site and make good shots. Shooting it is a breeze. But, it's a lot bigger. Certain outfits preclude me from carrying it.

With carry guns, it's all about sacrifice. Do you want a gun that goes everywhere? Or a gun that is easy to shoot? For those reasons, I regularly carry a Smith and Wesson 640 revolver, an LCP, and a G43. Sometimes you need different solutions for different circumstances.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Canik Comment - I haven't shot one

The owner at the local gun store has swapped his carry piece to a Canik. He loving loves it and lets everyone see one. I'm skeptical of it being a sales tactic, because it's cheaper than most everything else in the gun counter.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Remington got bought and turned into an utter trash company. I have never seen a gun as poorly made as their current line of pistols.

Here is a video about them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUeNP51XTeg

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Loading mags at the range, especially a noisy indoor range, is a bitch.

If you can show up with loaded mags, you'll spend more time shooting. I have a minimum of three per gun, with the exception of my LCP. I think I have seven for my G19. I'd bet some of the comp shooters here have over a dozen.

(Of course I joined a range that doesn't let you bring in pre-loaded mags.)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Tiny pocket guns can be difficult to shoot. Having shot small guns for a long while now, I'd not rank the G43 as having pocket gun shooting difficulty. But comparing it to a G19, it's a lot less forgiving.

If this is a first gun or a beginner's gun, think about going with a more full sized pistol to learn the fundamentals. Don't worry about having a "one gun fits all" sized solution if it's one of your first.

But a G19 can absolutely be carried, as mine can attest.

Glock Model Reference for 9mm

G17 - Full sized
G19 - Compact, holds two less rounds. Not much smaller than the G17
G26 - Sub Compact. Used to be the smallest 9mm Glock but still has a double stack magazine
G43 - The real sub compact 9mm Glock. Has a single stack magazine that holds less than ten rounds even with most magazine extensions. Technically can be pocket carried, but most people keep it on their belt.

There are a lot more models, but that gives you the basic view of their 9mm offering. For a lot of years the choices were only the first three.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Jack B Nimble posted:

Thanks, I see now the glock thread OP details the two tools needed. Together they cost as much as my sights so of course I'll buy them for the one Glock I own.

I did it with a $25 sight pusher. You can sure as hell do it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Nobody has large enough hands to need a G17 vs. a G19.

Just mark me down as saying YES to the G19.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

A lot of us who carry don't use firearms with manual safeties. I've carried coming up on fifteen years and refuse to use a defensive firearm with a manual safety.

That's just me. There are a lot of people here who are more experienced than me in all aspects. But a lot of people safely carry guns without manual safeties. The big take away is NEVER PUT YOUR FINGER IN THE TRIGGER if you don't plan on pulling it.

Other posters have better explained things than I will, but I wanted to point out a lot of defense CCW pistol people actively avoid manual safeties. The reason being that in a defensive shooting dicking with a safety isn't something you want to mess with, especially when half a second could be the difference between living and dying.

(I've never ND'ed a pistol for what it's worth)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

my kinda ape posted:

I am extremely embarrassed to report that I had my first ND a couple weeks ago. I was trying to get my 22lr High Standard Victor working right and it was being really finicky about chambering rounds (no feed ramp so you have to make the feed lips perfect for the ammo). I chambered a round and it didn't quite go into battery so I pointed it downwards and pushed the back of the slide closed with my left hand. I'm not entirely sure what happened but I think my finger must have touched the trigger which is adjusted to be as light as possible and it went off into the ground in front of my shooting bench as I pushed the slide forward to close it fully on the half chambered round. Scared the poo poo out of me.

That's about as low stakes as you can get with an ND aside from accidentally pulling the trigger while you're aiming downrange but the point is A) it could happen to YOU and B) *always* be pointing the gun in a safe direction if you're handling it while it's loaded.

Don't get me wrong, NDs can happen. My point is just it's pretty much always pulling the trigger, which shouldn't be happening regardless of your safety situation. Mantis already said everything better than I will about it.

Just for the record, I've NDed a rifle before and it was seriously one of the scariest things I've been through. My error? Pulled the trigger.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

The issue there would be that the upper and lower are two parts, neither of which meet the definition of a receiver. The fact that a LOT of modern guns have split receivers that donít meet that definition is also kind of there.

Really what they need to do is actually redefine what the ďgunĒ part of a gun is. That would require some new rules about what gets serials and probably lead to a whole new situation like the pre-68 guns without SNs though.

Personally Iíve always thought the bolt (or breach block - basically the bit that seals the chamber) is the most logical part to regulate. Itís a headache when it comes to replacing a hosed one but really thatís not something that can be avoided if youíre taking the idea of it being the core of the gun seriously. The pressure bearing components are the must haves. Anything else is pretty fungible.

I've always been dumbfounded that it isn't the part containing the firing pin. Slide on a pistol, bolt on a rifle.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Before the legit knowledgable people who work as instructors get here, I'd like to chime in with a Glock 19 suggestion. You can carry it if you ever decide to, there is a poo poo ton of aftermarket, not expensive, will last forever, probably the most reliable gun out of the box you can buy, etc.

That being said, every and all guns needs to be thoroughly vetted with a couple hundred rounds before it goes on defense duty of any sort.

There isn't any such thing as a "one size fits all" gun, but the Glock 19 comes drat close.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 28, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Thermopyle posted:

How do I find and pick good beginner pistol training/classes/instructors? How do I evaluate such a thing before choosing one?

Mantis did an excellent write up, I think. But I cannot remember where....

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

If you buy a Glock and don't like it, you still have a Glock. The same cannot be said of a lot of starter guns.

Taurus. I'm talking about Taurus. gently caress Taurus.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-02-28/how-defective-guns-became-the-only-product-that-can-t-be-recalled

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I have a ďhand feelĒ question.

Where does ability to manipulate controls, or the ďfitĒ of the gun, fall into everything?

I normally thought it was wise for a gun to fit a persons hand, but I could be full of poo poo.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Thanks for breaking down "hand feel" vs. "fit" for me. I understand why I got smacked down a month or two ago for telling a newbie to get a pistol that feels good. Having huge hands, I always thought it was important to be able to manipulate the controls and not get something that literally was hard to manipulate due to tiny or large hands. I'll be a lot more conscious of the words I use during newbie new pistol talks.

Poop, that whole write up is loving excellent.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

God drat, I want this apocalypse to be over so I can play with Android's fancy Glocks.

The cost makes it a bigger decision that a new holster or something, but I'm really thinking about a dot for my G19. I don't realistically think I'm going to be carrying it much with the G43 being in my collection.

Mantis, when you've ran completely new shooters on a red dot - what results do you get vs. irons?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I was talking pistols. The first time I shot an AR at a goon shot, it had a red dot. I was ringing the hell out of a 150 yard plate and it felt like I wasn't even trying. It was super easy to correct my shots when I was off.

Thank you, whoever let me shot that AR. It was a trip.

I also managed to make Micromancer's Egyptian AK jam three times on two separate mags. That was special.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm going to crosspost a question here and the CCW thread, because I'm a mag carrier newbie -

When it comes to a mag carrier, what..."direction" do you face the mag? Bullets facing rearwards or forwards?

I did some instruction a few days ago and it was my literal first time dicking around with a mag carrier. I didn't make a fool of myself with the draw from concealment and reholstering, but Jesus Christ I'm clueless with the mag carrier.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Awesome advice, thanks all.

Yeah, the bullet orientation wasn't an excuse for how clueless I was. It was a new piece of equipment. But I realized when practicing later I didn't have a real clue which way to orient the mag on my belt. Heaven forbid I remembered to ask during the instruction.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Are we talking about the carrier holding the mag vertical or horizontal?

Vertical. I have a better dual mag carrier for my G19, but due to a holster malfunction I was working with my G43 single mag carrier.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Just adding another recommendation for doubling up. Indoor ranges are oppressively loud.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I like turtles posted:

I have found much success in life by embracing and proclaiming my ignorance, but desire to learn.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

My one ND was a rifle round, largely because of unfamiliarity with what I was doing. My Glock tear down reflexes hosed me, hard.

Well, that and my blinding stupidity coupled with breaking a rule. Iím beyond lucky nothing worse was hurt than a shoe in my closet.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Also, come on over to the conceal carry thread. It's newbie friendly and people actually make suggestions based on evidence that they will happily explain, as long as you are willing to learn.

Beat me to saying this.

The CCW thread has multiple people with instructing experience hanging around as well. You'll get some drat good advice there.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

After spending a few decades in the gun hobby, it's pretty fascinating how trends sure come and go.

SCCY is releasing a $389 version of their gun with a flat trigger and a red dot as standard features. I wish someone I trusted would do that. A entry-tier race Glock out of the package would probably get money out of me.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Anonymous Robot posted:

I get over my apprehension with carrying a striker-fired pistol with a round chambered.

I can sure as hell appreciate having a less than rational fear (hello, insects), but what is your apprehension?

I remember the first few months I carried a Kel Tec P3AT I acted like a land mine was in my pocket. But that wears off pretty quickly.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

tarlibone posted:

I know I certainly had the same apprehension. For the first few months of carrying, I didn't have a round chambered. When I would drill, I would rack the slide on the draw. Eventually, I felt comfortable enough to carry with a round chambered.

I think the apprehension, for me, came from the fact that it's just so easy to pull the trigger. With a revolver, that's not an issue unless the hammer is cocked. Older pattern semiautomatics generally have one or more safeties, and may even have a DA first trigger pull to boot. But on my 9c, the only thing stopping you from shooting is a light trigger. Worrying about forgetting to clear the gun was also a reason why I didn't chamber a round for a while, since it'll fire with no magazine inserted.

I've never carried a CCW gun with a safety, because I believe the least amount of steps needed to get the gun into action during a life threatening event, the better. I know that's subjective, but it's always been my philosophy.

For me, the thing that dealt with that fear was two-fold, but related -

- The gun lives in a good holster. It's not coming in and out of the holster. It just sits there, trigger covered.
- When going home at the end of the day, I typically removed the holster from my person and put the whole package in the safe. There wasn't any chance to catch the trigger in a freak accident when it's not leaving the holster.

In...twelve or thirteen years of carrying guns without safeties, I've never had to draw my gun for anything other than practice. I've twice had to put my hand on the handle due to nearly getting jumped by different breeds of meth heads, but that was the extent of it.

(Please don't mention the irony of my holster being empty when that incident I talked about in the CCW thread happened. That will bug me until I croak.)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Wasn't the 590 what soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan were issued?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

flightless greeb posted:

I think they've issued both Mossberg 500s and 590A1s (the A1s have the thicker barrel, alu trigger components etc), alongside the Benelli M4.

I just always figured something that can thrive in a sandy environment is probably good enough for anything the average American will throw at it.

I've got a 590 myself, but I need to spend some money on it. I wish those fore ends with lights weren't so expensive.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

If someone has come into my place, that's on them. I would protect myself, my family, and my birds with whatever force was needed.

Self defense is about taking the decision of "Will they or will they not hurt me?" away from the criminal putting me in danger.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

stealie72 posted:

Pfft. As if. Your birds are going to gently caress up anyone who breaks in.

You will get such a screm and hiss.

Also, I would absolutely go full on Jon Wick for my birds. I also think everyone else in this forum would do the same for their animals, friends, Pokemon, etc.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I live in a Stand Your Ground state.

If someone breaks into my home with the means to kill my animal, they have means to kill me. The type of animal doesnít matter. Hell, the animal doesnít matter after the breaking in.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Flatland Crusoe posted:

What if they just show up with a Crosman 760?Enough to kill a bird but at most take out an eye against a human?

Are they in my home, uninvited and holding a weapon?

Also, let's use an example that's not my bird. Even though I said it half joking, I don't really like thinking about the mechanics of somebody trying to hurt them.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Flatland Crusoe posted:

Iím sure the case law revolves around how many times they pumped it up.

In a low level of pumps, I'm choking them unconscious with my leg braces.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Who cleans their guns?

Nerds.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

moths posted:

Awesome, thanks for the prompt advice everyone!

I never transport or store loaded, so the safety shouldn't come up - but that is a drat good thing to know anyway. This one has a trigger safety instead of one drilled into the frame, is that more reliable or about as bad?

And I'll definitely work on my stance at home first, with an eye towards direction while I'm handling it. It sounds like I'll need to be extra mindful until the safe handling comes naturally. (And mindful afterwards, naturally.) Should I grab some snap caps for dry fire practice?

Thanks again, all - I really appreciate it.

We are always here and always glad to help. Stick around! We talk about a lot of stuff!

Like parrots -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Newbie Pistol Talk - With some coaching from an instructor, I learned a whole lot more than I ever expected. I'm thirty-six and shot since I was seven. But I was given a lot of "old timey" advice from Southerners about how to shoot. Truth be told, shooting well is a lot more flexible than you'd expect.

Good example - I wear size XXL gloves, but have really skinny hands and fingers. I've heard my hands called "surgeon" or "alien" hands.

With pistol shooting and long fingers in mind, I was emphatically taught by my southerner relatives to keep the tip of your finger on the trigger. I always put effort into just using the last digit of my trigger finger on the trigger. But, under some coaching from an instructor, I learned that my optimal trigger placement was the digit behind my finger tip. I wrap my trigger finger into the trigger (if that's the right way to put it) and it's improved everything, drastically.

I think the best way to put it is to avoid dogmatic thinking and be open to instruction. You can always, always, always learn more.