Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

For the hunting section you might want to consider including a link to the hunting thread. Hunting rules and regulations define so much of how the hobby works and they vary a ton from state to state. A brief post on the topic is probably just going to get confusing. Anyone thats interested can find pretty good help in that thread from general info to details about their local laws and customs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Fearless posted:

Do you want a general "How it works" post for black powder firearms?

Yes please. I purchased my first muzzle loader for Christmas and still havent had a chance to take it out yet. Ive done a lot of reading on the topic but would appreciate even more.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

For me at least getting into muzzle loading has felt like learning firearms all over again. The huge variety of powders and pellets, bullet selection, etc can feel pretty overwhelming. A brief list of powders/pellets and bullets that a beginner should be aware of would be really helpful. Also a list of gear for getting started. I have the rifle with ram rod, measure and flask. Should I be picking up anything else?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Fearless posted:

Do you have a starter? BP rifles often have a slightly tapered bore, so getting a patched ball or a particularly close fitting bullet down the bore can be a challenge with just the included ram rod. BP shooting is very different from more modern expressions of the practice, so I can easily see how making sense of everything is kind of like drinking from a fire hose.

Nope, but I will! This type of stuff is exactly what Im looking for. With all the ranges closed we are probably going to do a weekend camping trip to a National Forest to hunt, fish and shoot. Itd be kind of a bummer to hike out a ways to shoot and find out I couldnt fit a bullet.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

For whatever reason defensive carbine/pistol shooting has never interested me that much. But, for whatever reason this latest talk about pistol fu has actually tickled a part of my brain I didnt even know I had. Once things blow over with COVID19 I think Id like to seek out some instruction on the topic just to check it out. For beginners who are more interested in the topic as a hobby/shooting sport type of deal would a 22 handgun be a good start? Or do I really need to look for something thats more practical for actual self defense? Ive been thinking about picking up a Ruger Buckmark for a while now anyways and these seems like a good excuse.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Brackit posted:

What does barrel length actually do? For example, 14.5" vs 16" vs 18" vs 20" AR barrels. I've heard that it has no effect on accuracy, so why were all the popular 3-gun builds using long, heavy barrels?

Generally, a longer barrel provides more space for gas to expand, which in turn leads to a higher velocity. A higher velocity is very useful since it reduces the amount a bullet drops over a set distance, which in turn provides a higher margin for error when calculating drop. The heavier barrel is particularly useful since it heats up slower. A heated up barrel will be less accurate due to the rifling expanding. There are other advantages like less flex, more weight, etc too.

And of course per the norm there are tons of caveats and niche situations where these rules dont apply. Which is why I used the term generally.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Isn't MoA the pretty much the standard measure of accuracy?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Loan Dusty Road posted:

I personally use it just for target shooting but itís largely made for varmint hunting (prairie dogs, opossum, squirrel, etc). The largest game Iíve heard them taking is small coyote with a well placed shot but if you are specifically hunting coyote you probably want something bigger.

In Texas people occasionally take pigs with 17MR(this is not recommended for novices), theres even a rimfire season on public land that overlaps with squirrel season. For such a small cartridge its remarkably capable.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

excellent bird guy posted:

I am thinking about hunting pidgeons, birds, ducks? I used to walk around the woods a lot just for exercise, and there are freaking moose out there. Mountain lions too. I was thinking maybe I should have some self defense from the wild life. And you nailed it, I wanted the Sako because it is Finnish. That Tikka would good to start.

For a leisurely walk in the woods where youd like to have some form of protection from rampaging mooses and bears but also like the ability to obtain some lunch in the form of small game a shotgun really is the tops. You can carry a few different types of shells and be prepared for most situations. Ill usually carry a pocket full of birdshot in case the opportunity to take a rabbit or squirrel presents itself and then also a few slugs in case I happen across some pigs(or even whitetail if they are in season). If the really big stuff like moose or grizzly is a concern something like a Brenneke 3" slug are incredibly effective up close with big game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Those pistol grips made from leather straps wrapped around the grip looking remarkably similar to something that would pop up in the lovely crime guns thread.