Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

In addition to those I'm also a big fan of https://www.outdoorlimited.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Smegma Princess X posted:

I'm bringing this here from the Stim Check thread.

I've never had to own and care for a gun before, the last gun I really ever used was my dad's M1 carbine, over 20 years ago hunting beaver. I want a rifle, but I'm looking for something that is not as "point-and-shoot" as the AR that Joe Wannabe-Fash down the street would buy to feel like a big man. The only requirements are that the gun, ammunition, and accessories would need to fit within my $1200 pittance that I got as an American victim of capitalism.

Also yes I would consider dressing my gun up like Milsurp Barbie.

Get a PTR-91 and feel like a pathetic baby man when its massive weight makes your arms tired

But really they're great rifles aside from being heavy and you can play dress up with them and the magazines are ~$5 each.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

rump buttman posted:

Whatís a reasonable* amount of magazines to own for

1) going to the range 5x a year to shoot 100 rounds each time

2) ccw

3) beginner level pistol sports

*reasonable being that sweet spot between not over buying and not wanting to skimp.

1) depends on if you want to be reloading mags at the range. For guns with cheap or annoying to load mags it might be easier/more enjoyable to load up all the ammo you're going to shoot ahead of time. For that you might need 6-10 mags. If you don't mind loading it up every time you empty the mag then you only need 1-2.

2) in the unlikely event you have to shoot someone you probably won't get in a prolonged firefight with them so one is probably plenty if you're carrying a modern pistol with a decent magazine size. I know some people carry an extra mag or two. So 1-3.

3) not personally experienced with competitive pistol shooting but from what I've seen you'd probably need 3-4 for a longer stage?

Personally I like having 3-4 mags for every gun and that's a pretty good number for being able to shoot quite a bit before having to load everything up again and not having too many mags to keep track of.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 19, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Seconding Boretech Eliminator for a cleaning solvent. For wiping down small amounts of gunk and just oiling an entire gun to prevent rust I really like the Hoppes oil wipes. They come in a plastic container that holds like 60 and you can oil every surface on a pistol with one and a rifle with 1-2. I use Slip2000 EWL 30 or their grease for stuff that needs a more substantial lube.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Jack B Nimble posted:

What are the go to G19 sight upgrades (irons)? Can I do it myself if I'm "fumble through brake pad changing" mechanically inclined?

Edit: I was re-reading this article and he's fond of those ameriglo pro i dot sights:

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/no-three-dot-pistol-sights/

Most modern gun modifications are about that difficulty or easier yeah. You might need a special sight pusher tool and/or some punches.

I recommend a set of punches and a gunsmithing hammer for anyone getting into firearms as a hobby. I waited way too long to pick those up and they're invaluable.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

If you have another rail accessory try mounting it on the same place and see if it has the same problem. If not it's probably your accessory. Or mount the accessory to a different rail and see if it's fine on there.

I'd guess it's probably the accessory but the rail might be out of spec instead, anything is possible!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

JukeboxHerostratus posted:

I've got a fixed rear sight coming in this weekend, I'll let you know what I learn.

I still don't have a bcg so I can't test the charging handle proper. However it's snug for now with a makeshift shim in place. It was sliding back and forth, no side-to-side movement.

I don't want to start bad-mouthing either of the manufacturers yet, so keep that shaming in check.

A bit of play forward and backward is pretty normal in my experience. Not a lot but there's a reason you're supposed to press optics forward on the rail when you tighten them down. You should be able to tighten it down enough that it won't move though and if your rail and accessory are in spec and tight then there should be no yaw or left-right play.

edit: \/\/\/ what he said!

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 1, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

lmao if your home defense gun isn't an obscure commercial failure from the 1980s that's almost impossible to find parts for

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Gunshow Poophole posted:

what does the last fifty posts have to do with newbie questions

if I want to mount an optic on a rifle (it's a marlin 1894) how many Things do I need to buy? I'm confused because there's a bunch of kits that say like, "Mount and rings" or just "mounting system" which includes rings?

I'm assuming it's three things... mount, rings, and scope?

That depends. If the rifle has a rail build into or otherwise attached to the receiver you'll just attach a scope mount OR rings to that, plus the scope, and that's it. If it doesn't have some sort of attachment system built in then you will have to attach one. Some rifles like HKs have a clamping system to do this but most older rifles require holes to be drilled and tapped in order to attach a mount. Depending on your rifle these holes may have been drilled from the factory or by a previous owner.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Gunshow Poophole posted:

thanks, it's tapped for a scope mount. so for some versatility, I could get a picatinny rail that I permanently attach to the receiver, which will allow me to then mount a variety of stuff to it, correct?

Correct. Any modern optic intended for the western market is going to either fit a Picatinny rail directly or fit into a mount or rings that fit onto a Picatinny rail. These may also be called Weaver rails but that's basically an older version that's more or less the same thing.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

jwang posted:

poo poo, now I need to definitely get a lever gun and put a red dot on it. Been rewatching Cowboy Bebop and now I wanna live my space cowboy fantasies.

Search reddit or just Google images for "space lever action" or things like that and you'll find some pretty neat modern/future looking lever guns people have put together. It's kind of a small fad recently and it can be done very well IMO.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

rump buttman posted:

Question of curiosity. I have no gun to do this to. I was wondering if you mill serrations on a non serialized slide, can you mill through a manufactures mark? Like the Glock logo on a Glock slide? Is that explicitly illegal similar to tampering with serial numbers? Are manufacture marks on a serialized component (frame) as sacred as the serial number? Standard rear end gun, not nfa stuff.

That's a good question that I don't actually know the answer to but I would guess that it's fine legally. Probably the only markings that matter are the ones on the receiver or whatever part is legally the firearm and not an accessory.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Captain Log posted:

A lot of us who carry don't use firearms with manual safeties. I've carried coming up on fifteen years and refuse to use a defensive firearm with a manual safety.

That's just me. There are a lot of people here who are more experienced than me in all aspects. But a lot of people safely carry guns without manual safeties. The big take away is NEVER PUT YOUR FINGER IN THE TRIGGER if you don't plan on pulling it.

Other posters have better explained things than I will, but I wanted to point out a lot of defense CCW pistol people actively avoid manual safeties. The reason being that in a defensive shooting dicking with a safety isn't something you want to mess with, especially when half a second could be the difference between living and dying.

(I've never ND'ed a pistol for what it's worth)

I am extremely embarrassed to report that I had my first ND a couple weeks ago. I was trying to get my 22lr High Standard Victor working right and it was being really finicky about chambering rounds (no feed ramp so you have to make the feed lips perfect for the ammo). I chambered a round and it didn't quite go into battery so I pointed it downwards and pushed the back of the slide closed with my left hand. I'm not entirely sure what happened but I think my finger must have touched the trigger which is adjusted to be as light as possible and it went off into the ground in front of my shooting bench as I pushed the slide forward to close it fully on the half chambered round. Scared the poo poo out of me.

That's about as low stakes as you can get with an ND aside from accidentally pulling the trigger while you're aiming downrange but the point is A) it could happen to YOU and B) *always* be pointing the gun in a safe direction if you're handling it while it's loaded.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Captain Log posted:

Don't get me wrong, NDs can happen. My point is just it's pretty much always pulling the trigger, which shouldn't be happening regardless of your safety situation. Mantis already said everything better than I will about it.

Just for the record, I've NDed a rifle before and it was seriously one of the scariest things I've been through. My error? Pulled the trigger.

Yeah sorry wasn't really disagreeing with you or anything, just saw the topic come up and figured I should share my experience with the newbie thread as a teaching moment

I tend to fall on the "a safety is good to have" side of the argument but this gun had a manual safety and I still ND'd it because I was experiencing kind of a weird situation and that caused me to be slightly negligent.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 18, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

stealie72 posted:

Walmart always has them.

Yeah I always got them at Walmart although I haven't looked in awhile.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

A Loud Fart posted:

A couple questions about buying online from sites like Gunbroker, Bud's, etc.

Yeah, so guns stores have guns for sale, but brand and model availability has become very limited. Out of frustration, I started shopping online and found another bottleneck; State compliance. I live in Colorado, and magazine capacity is capped at 15. Guns that are 'CO compliant' are across the board sold out, while the same make and model remains available with larger capacity magazines. How receptive would some of these out of state stores be if I called them and asked if I could buy the gun with a smaller magazine, or no magazine at all? Can they do this? Is there some kind of requirement that a new gun must be sold with it's factory, in box components?

Yeah just contact them and tell them to just keep or toss the mag. The overwhelming majority of sellers will be fine with this as long as you're not asking for a discount because of it or something. It's possible they might be willing to include a smaller mag if they have one available but I wouldn't count on it. Also lower capacity mags are often more expensive than higher capacity mags if the higher capacity ones are the standard size for that gun. The lower capacity ones consequently sell a lot less volume and really only exist for states that allow the gun but not the "normal" mags.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Anonymous Robot posted:

I have a question about Howard Leight Impact Sport sound amplifying earpro. I bought a couple of pairs based on a recommendation here, because I often bring new shooters to the range and it would be nice to be able to instruct them more easily with amplified conversation. But Iím worried this isnít actually adequate ear protection.

Compared to my regular old ten dollar earpro, testing with clapping (with the mic turned off,) Iíd say that they dampen sound about half as well.

Are these not rated for use in indoor settings?

The Impact Sports are only 22 NRR and you should definitely not wear them indoors, at least not without doubling up. Probably fine for pistol and rimfire outdoors but IDK if I'd trust them while shooting a rifle.

The Howard Leight Impact Pro has a 30 NRR and I had no trouble shooting 308 indoors with those although they're bulkier than the sports and may interfere with cheek weld on a long gun.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Lumbermouth posted:

Thanks a lot! I think this'll also make more sense once I actually get a chance to go to a range and do it. It's hard conceptualizing these steps when you don't have any real reference for them.

You can get really into the specifics of it but really all you need to remember for basic purposes is "shoot target, see where hole appears, adjust optic so that the hole appears closer to where I intended". If your bullet hole (point of impact) appears four inches below the center of the target and two to the left then you need to adjust the optic a certain amount of clicks to the right and twice that many clicks up. Ideally you would use knowledge of the adjustment distance of your optic and your distance to the target to determine how many clicks you need to use exactly but if you haven't figured all that out then you can just guess, shoot another group to see where it lands, and adjust again. Repeat until you're right where you want to be and you're done. This obviously uses more ammo than you would otherwise but you really don't have to know anything to do it.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Lumbermouth posted:

Well right now all I have is a Mossberg 151, so that should at least be cheap.

Oh yeah for that if you're zeroing at 25 or 50 yards with a 22lr I'd just do the guessing method. Shouldn't take long at all and it'll cost you like a dollar at worst

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Sarrisan posted:

So I had my first malfunction in 1000 rounds with my CZ 75BD today. Half-way through the magazine, suddenly the trigger loses all resistance and the slide is out of battery. I couldn't get it to budge, but it just happened to be lined up perfectly for dissassembly, so I took the pin out and removed the slide , spring and barrel. The results are in the imgur link below:

https://imgur.com/a/FkHQKVs

Would I be safe just ramming my cleaning rod down the front of the barrel to remove the stuck bullet? It's in there pretty drat good. I guess this is what I deserve for using re manufactured ammo.

Situations like that happen and there's no ideal way to fix it but yeah I'd just knock it out as gently as you can with some sort of rod or dowel. There's not really any chance of it going off if the primer isn't struck or you're not heating it up with a blowtorch or something but I still probably wouldn't aim it at my body

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Anonymous Robot posted:

It turns out that this was the issue. I broke out a box of PDC X-TAC rounds, which are ever so slightly shorter, and have no problem with them. I sure wish I hadnít bought 300 rounds of the other stuff!

Is there any way to figure out what will feed in this rifle short of hearsay or experimentation? I donít think the cartridge length is published anywhere.

I'd probably take the 300 rounds back to the gun store that sold you them and tell them you want a return/exchange since they sold you ammo and a gun that don't work together.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Anonymous Robot posted:

Apparently the 20+ round magazines all work like a dream, but those are illegal here.

Is it illegal to have a 20 round mag pinned to limit its capacity?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

I guess you could just keep it chambered with the safety on if you're worried about the first round not loading right in a defensive situation. Really only less safe if you're loving around with it or someone else might come in and handle it while you're not there. If it's just sitting there in the closet or whatever then it shouldn't be a problem.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

flightless greeb posted:

They're chill from what I know altho usually the most expensive option on the internet. You might also look at https://www.robertrtg.com since they carry a lot of HK stuff and usually have better prices.

Seconding this. HKparts and RobertRTG are the two big HK parts sites. I've ordered multiple times from both and had no bad experiences. Generally RobertRTG is cheaper but not always. Both carry lots of things the other doesn't have.

For the really common HK pistols you might be able to find a few parts elsewhere too, don't be afraid to look around. Brownells, Numrich, and Apex Gun Parts might also have stuff worth looking at.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 27, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

gonger posted:

How do I make sense of what combination of sling type, mount, and/or adapter I need? Iíve got a Ruger PCC, the sporting style without the free float MLOK handguard. There are studs at the front and back of the carbine, but Iím at a loss when looking at all the different mounting adapters and swivel types when browsing Magpul for example.

Those are typically referred to as sling swivel studs. Or sometimes Uncle Mike's sling swivel studs. The ones Nitrousoxide linked would work although they come with studs that you don't need since they're already on your gun and it doesn't actually come with a sling to go with the stud attachments.

Other types are HK style hooks that are basically just hooks that clip onto a ring/hole, QD (quick detach) sling swivels that have a pin that locks into a hole and can be quickly attached and detached, and various older style slings (typically seen on milsurp) where the sling wraps around a rod put over a space cut in the stock or a metal loop attached to the stock or foreend and is held in place by various means such as buttons, buckles, keepers etc.

Here's a super cheap sling with swivels: https://www.amazon.com/Interstate-A...295544&sr=8-100

Here's just the swivels and you'll have to find or make a sling to put them on: https://www.amazon.com/Sling-Swivel...93295544&sr=8-2

Generally speaking you can put any sling on any swivel type assuming their widths match. For instance you wouldn't want to try to put a 1.5" wide sling on 1" wide swivels.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 27, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Tyler Whitney posted:

Really all you need is a couple 9mm bore brushes (nylon/brass obviously), a brush for the rails if you care that much, some cleaning patches and a solvent of whichever variety you like (could be anything from Hoppes to CLP, etc.). If you don't want to deal with cleaning patches there's always RAMRODZ. After you clean it up, add some lube on the lubrication points and there you go.

RAMRODZ are great. Also I would recommend some oil wipes. Hoppes makes good ones although I know other companies do too. They make cleaning off and oiling everything but the bore a lot easier.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

raverrn posted:

Where can I find decent, cheap target ammo in 9mm? Everywhere seems to be sold ouy.

Cabelas/Bass Pro seem to be consistently pumping out Hertgers for 18-20 CPR but it might take a while before it actually shows up at your house once you manage to order some. Otherwise you'll just have to keep checking r/gundeals and such to see when ammo comes in stock somewhere. It's happening fairly often but it doesn't stay in stock anywhere for more than a few hours to a day.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Steeltalon posted:

The type of person that would break into an occupied residency may not have the same moral values on life as you do.

If you're uncomfortable with a firearm perhaps improving security on your apartment with improved door stops, stronger dead bolt hardware, and kick plates, or security cameras, glass break sensors

I don't think he's concerned about the security of his apartment

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

If you're actively threatening people's pets of any kind I'm a-ok if someone puts you down instead.

And I'm only like a 6/10 as far as being an animal lover.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Peeches posted:

I had a new-to-me malfunction today during an informal shooting match. A failure to eject. The casing was stuck in the barrel after the bullet fired. It was some cheap rear end steel ammo. It didn't come out very easily and the magazine was stuck too, it actually happened twice. First malfunction after 750 rounds of that stuff though. I'm almost out of that supply, then I'll go back to brass. Also, I was informed that I need to clean my gun, apparently that can contribute.

The chamber being dirty can contribute yeah. But steel cases are generally a lot less slick than brass so they slide a lot less easily. I can't use steel case ammo in my SITES Spectre because the rough steel cases cause too much friction and the quad stack magazines won't feed

It's also possible your chamber is a bit rough or your extractor is weak and but it's not bad enough to be a problem with brass ammo.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 8, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

ZarathustraFollower posted:

So, I posted this in the discord, but might be better here.
I'm looking at getting some actual cleaning kits rather than bumming off my neighbor since now I have multiple guns and multiple calibers. Looking at this otis elite with a hardshell case, as the case has built-in cradles to assist with rifles. Is it worth it, or are there other things I should look at instead?
It's $160, where if I bought the individual caliber otis kits I'd be looking at ~120 w/o the hardshell that gives a nice work area.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076CW7KWR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WTncFbAAQFWSM

That seems like absurd overkill IMO. And it doesn't even come with a cleaning rod??

I have this kit and it has just about everything you could need: https://www.brownells.com/gun-clean...rer_1=brownells

A one piece carbon fiber cleaning rod is nice to have for rifles but the one in the kit works well enough.

Really all you need is a cleaning rod, a brass and/or nylon brush for every caliber you want, and a loop or jag for patches. And some bore cleaning solvent and gun oil.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

ZarathustraFollower posted:

So, one of my guns is a garand, and bore snakes are recommended since the bolt makes rods harder to use. One of the big sites for them specifically recommended the otis cleaning and Im loving terrified of messing that gun up. Thats kind of why I want a rifle rest too - I really just want whatever I need to keep it clean properly.

Even if I just buy kits for each caliber, Im still looking at 70-90, since I need them for .22lr, .30-06, and 9mm. I figure in for a penny, in for a pound and spend more to cover *any* future gun + decent storage.

A .22 cal rod like the one in the kit I linked will work for any caliber and it's a multi piece rod so you can use it for pistols or rifle barrels up to 30". It comes with bronze brushes for .22, .30, 9mm, and .45. You can buy bronze/nylon brushes for ~$2-5 if you wear one out or get a new caliber that isn't one of those four.

I don't think the kit you linked is bad by any means but unless you're about to inherit an entire collection of dirty guns I don't think it really does anything that can't be done by the one I linked. You can get a cleaning stand/vice that's nicer and still come out at least $60 cheaper than that big kit. It's your money though so don't let me tell you how to spend it

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Is there a guide to what's considered "cheap ammo" (read: unreliable)? Obviously there are the big differences between Aluminum/Steel/Brass cases and whether it's milsurp that has been sitting in a warehouse in Croatia for 50 years or new manufactured, but beyond that, how do I tell what's the good stuff?

Generally speaking you get what you pay for. If you're just plinking then you use the cheapest stuff that your gun will run. Some guns will run flawlessly with the cheapest aluminum or steel case ammo you can find and others can't fire three rounds of it without jamming. It's entirely dependent on the design of the gun, and the condition of the parts (springs worn out? etc) as well as how clean it is.

Primer hardness and how hard an individual gun hits the primers can also come in to play. If you know your hammer spring is weak or that design is known for not playing well with hard primers then you probably don't want to buy a bunch of ancient surplus ammo with had primers.

Brass is almost always more reliable than aluminum or steel cased ammo. Really old surplus ammo will generally have more issues than new production ammo, although it's usually not a problem if it's not older than the 70s-80s.

This really doesn't answer your question because unfortunately it's not cut and dry and it really just depends on what you're trying to shoot it out of. Most ammo websites have reviews so read the reviews in general and look specifically for mentions of the model of gun you plan to use. Maybe the reviews are good but a couple people mention it jams in Gun X and you have a Gun X so avoid that ammo or only buy one box to test. Or maybe the opposite is true! Everyone says this ammo sucks rear end but your Gun Y is a champion and is capable of eating anything you throw at it. My PTR-91 is like that. If you aren't sure if a certain type will work well or not then just buy a box or three and see if it runs well. If it does then you're probably safe to buy a case of it, if it gives you problems then try a sample of something else and so on until you find something that's safe to buy a lot of.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 13, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

thermobollocks posted:

No that's a legit question and probably something some guns do. Not sure why double action gets you more points, since single action is more sportsmanlike, but meh.

It's probably just because it's more complicated and therefore more costly to manufacture. The whole point of these import laws is to prevent cheap guns from being important so the poors can't get them too easily.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Yeah it's fine to buy someone a gun as a gift (assuming they're legally allowed to own a gun) but it's mega illegal to buy someone a gun if they're the one paying for it in the end. Even if they're legally allowed to own a gun don't ever do that.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Peeches posted:

I started RSO training yesterday at the range I work at. After 2 hours I had a pounding heading and what I can only describe as TMJ pain on one side. I was using borrowed Walker with new gel ear pads. As soon as I pushed in the cheapie orange ear plugs the pain went away.
I have a 5 hour shift coming up and need recommendations for in-ear ear protection. I don't think I can wear the head set kind very long. I like the audible electronic kind but not sure where to start with those. Thanks!

I like my Walkers XV 3.0s. Very good sound protection and they have electronic pass through with enough charge to last 2-3 shifts. And you can listen to stuff through your phone with them too!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

therobit posted:

LOL if they think you are furnishing any information the gubmint don't already have.

What if they find out my social security number?!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Yeah a 10/22 is an ideal first gun for a new shooter. You did good!

Plastic Pal posted:

Would someone far more knowledgeable about this stuff direct me to a cleaning kit for this rifle that I can buy? I'm honestly afraid I'll buy the wrong thing. It's all kinda overwhelming.

I like this kit a lot: https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/cleaning-kits/rifle-cleaning-kits/ar-15-m16-308-ar-m-pro-7-cleaning-kit-prod30925.aspx

It's relatively inexpensive and has everything you need to clean and oil guns of various calibers. For your 10/22 you'll use the skinniest brush.

I also like these a lot as a replacement for patches if you want to make your life a little easier and spend less time cleaning your bore: https://www.brownells.com/gun-clean...MRODZ%2bINCxzzx
(Make sure you buy the .22 caliber kind obviously.) The bag comes with a little plastic adapter that threads into the end of your cleaning rod and you just stick one of the Q-Tip looking things in there and push it through the barrel and back. You probably want to put a few drops of cleaning solvent on until they start coming out clean. Then put some oil on one, run it through, and then you're done. Patches work the same way but Ramrodz are easier to use in my experience.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 31, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

Been going to the range about once a week now, and I'm getting worried about my backpack finally making GBS threads out everything in onto the floor. My question is: Are range bags worth looking at, or are they just basic luggage someone just slapped a gun logo on to sell to the shooting market? If so, which ones should I consider if I'm mainly lugging just one pistol for now?

As with anything it varies greatly.

I have one of these and like it a lot https://lapolicegear.com/jumbo-bailout-bag.html

They make larger and smaller versions too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Yeah I would not recommend a centerfire rifle as your first gun if you're just getting into shooting, especially anything bigger than .223/5.56. Get a 22lr no matter what, and if you want to hunt in the short term then also get a hunting rifle as well.

What exactly makes you want a Sako? They make very nice rifles but it's kind of like someone who's just about to learn to drive saying they want a Lexus. If you've got the money then go for it but there are lots of other options too.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 8, 2020