Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Thank you so much for that writeup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

biosterous posted:

two questions!

1) i'm right handed but my dominant eye is my left one. how does that affect aiming? is it different with a scope vs sights?

2) (this is much less important) so is there any real benefit to center axis relock besides looking really loving cool in video games and movies?

keep in mind that i have never touched a gun, and only have nebulous plans to "go to a firing range and shoot some guns for fun" eventually

1) Only really an issue when using a scope. At that point you'll either want to shoulder your rifle on your non-dominant side or train a lot more to work with your non-dominant eye
Otherwise you'll likely be shooting with both eyes open. There are ways to work around being cross-eye dominant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqqW9JbSVDA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV_WTsF_7kM

2: The idea of center-axis relock is retention of your pistol in really tight quarters, like CQB (close quarters battle). Realistically, point shooting from retention (from your hip/torso) is just as good when you're so close that you're not even aiming, and the manual of arms is closer to how most shooting schools are teaching so center-axis relock is an extra technique that doesn't seem necessary. Center-axis relock looks good in movies/tv/games because the pistol is close to the actor's face (kind of how old media showed people back again at the wall, pistol up near head before rounding the corner).

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Instructors will look at you weirdly but I don't think it will be that much of an issue if you tell them your reasoning.

That said, small .22lr semi-autos like the Browning Buckmark or the Ruger Mark series don't have reciprocating slides like regular defensive handguns so the point of thumb pectoral or mag-rib cage index gets lost (keeping the slide & muzzle clear to ensure proper cycling). Also the whole recoil management is vastly missed.

In the end though you're there to learn technique. Show up with a traditional defensive handgun like a Glock or a Sig. Or go with a snub-nosed revolver like a Smith & Wesson. Nightmare mode: attend a class with a bandolier of flintlock revolvers.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Can you dry fire the new Glock in .22lr?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

One thing to bear in mind is your location could affect what you can/can't have on an AR.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The Rat posted:

Cost effective, I'd go with a Magpul MLOK forend and slap a TLR-1 or other decent light on there. Maybe $140ish total?
As much as I like Magpul, that M-LOK forend would need a M-LOK rail adapter to attach a Streamlight TRL-1 HL.

Farting around Amazon I found a Mako forend that already has a Picatinny rail for attaching said Streamlight. Something to think about.

As for Surefire, they're proven light systems with one heck of a decent customer service record. There are new companies that are producing impressive weaponlights (Cloud Defensive, Modlite come to mind) but that's a massive rabbit hole to fall down.

Comedy option:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The one holster that TFR (and most serious shooters) condemn is the Blackhawk! SERPA. Two major issues:
-The release button can allow dirt/debris to get inside, jamming the whole system up. That's not good if you're on the range doing competition; even worse if you're using your pistol to defend yourself.
-The placement of the release button is problematic. In a high-stress situation where you're pressing the release button while pulling the pistol out of the holster, it is possible for your finger to drift inside the trigger guard & depress the trigger, causing a negligent discharge.

If you're looking for a holster that provides retention beyond level 1, look for something that releases the pistol by using your thumb like Safariland or G-Code.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

When I get cheap Airsoft stuff it's not uncommon for the rails & mounts to be out of spec, but if it's loose a little electrical tape shim does the trick.

If your Devil Dog Concepts Hard Charger is bothering you enough you should definitely request a replacement.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

For $1k you can get yourself a really nice prebuilt AR-15, or a mid-tier AR-15 and lots of ammo. Also going iron sights saves you .

As mentioned, the AR-15 thread's OP will help a lot there.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Milling the slide's manufacturer's mark is okay, and some places can give you the option to leave the marks there if you want.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

To further clarify, "bullets forward" as the bullets are pointing towards your 12 o'clock/belt buckle.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The traditional way is zeroing your irons first then your optic. I forgot if the EOTech XPS series are absolute or lower 1/3 cowitness though.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I've utilized YouTube for instructions regarding zeroing my rifle, mainly because there are many different types of rifles out there.

For example, I used this video to zero the iron sights on my M4's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bliil8SDm9A

For my AK I used this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnRGM7OvjSE

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

What's your holdover at 300y with that zero like? I normally run 36/300 with the EOTech mounted in my Block II but my next build will be with an 11.5" barrel. Debating if keeping the same zero would work.

I should note I also am using a 36/300 zero on my AK, which I haven't verified at 300y yet.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

TurdBurgles posted:

I don't want to bubba it at all, it was my grandfather's. I'll look at some YouTubes. Any special light recommendation for this use case? I see surefire has a "combat" light.

I find a flashlight that has a tail cap and ring combo works well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A48dEDkkI24
SureFire and Thyrm make products that work with flashlights (mainly SureFire). I have the SureFire flashlight combat ring on my V1.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Smith & Wesson has their M&P®9 Shield™ M2.0™ 4" Barrel Optics Ready model. My friend picked one up and it looks pretty slick. Too bad it's but IMO getting a subcompact with red dot & fiber optic sights in one package is pretty appealing.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

A wrongful death civil trial if you kill an intruder that was about to harm your pet would definitely be… something.

Hopefully your jury pool would be stacked with pet owners.

What if you didn't own a dog or cat but a bird like Captain Log? Or a snake?

ITT we argue the justifiable use of lethal force if somebody threatens your Asian Arowana by holding a cup of bleach over their aquarium.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Honestly I looked up "most expensive fish to have as a pet" but therein lies the rub: are we now putting dollar amounts to things people consider family members?

So you got a mangy rescue mutt. Luckily a jury will have sympathy because hey, people have and like dogs, right? What about Captain Log's bird? Is justified use of force going to be given the same leeway? Why/why not? What about my friend that has a pet ball python? Or my other friends that have tarantulas or millipedes (yes, I have bug friends).

Sorry, this is a derail and the whole St. Louis situation got me thinking about use-of-force laws.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Peeches posted:

I had a new-to-me malfunction today during an informal shooting match. A failure to eject. The casing was stuck in the barrel after the bullet fired. It was some cheap rear end steel ammo. It didn't come out very easily and the magazine was stuck too, it actually happened twice. First malfunction after 750 rounds of that stuff though. I'm almost out of that supply, then I'll go back to brass. Also, I was informed that I need to clean my gun, apparently that can contribute.

What gun and ammo was this?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Why not have the cleaning party after the match?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

You can find the non-comm version of the Comtacs you can save .

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I'm tempted to buy a set of
Axil in-ear plugs,
mainly because they also have Bluetooth capabilities. Gotta catch up on my podcasts while on the range.

My friend has a set of OTTO NoizeBarrier Micro High-Definition Electronic Earplugs but he had to RMA them (I believe one earpiece stopped charging m). Will hit him up for how it worked otherwise.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Oh duh I forgot about Noisefighter gel cups, especially since I have them on all my earpro. Glad they worked out for you!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Welcome to the horrible world of ammo scrounging during a panic. Your hope will rest on on ammo sites or using aggregate sites like Ammoseek.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I appreciate the reposts and even if there becomes a dedicated thread on it it's a good reminder for people looking for training.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Your backup choices of the Sig P320 & the S&W M&P 2.0 are well vetted (haven't heard much about the Beretta APX) so choosing them is not some big step down. Unfortunately the ammo shortage with the most popular rounds (specifically 9mm & 5.56) means getting time behind the gun will be… an issue.

There are alternative calibers available that don't seem to be affected by the panic as much (.40 S&W, .357 SIG, 10mm) but be advised training with them will be a higher learning curve due to stronger recoil. I'd only suggest a non-9mm handgun if you need a firearm sooner than later.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Yeah, but .32 is considered a substandard defense round all things considered.

.38 Special & .380 ACP are getting difficult to get for reasonable prices, but they seem to be actually available in my parts (PNW).

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Just looking in my range bag I have:

Personal protective equipment like earplugs/muffs & safety eyewear, targets, a roll of masking tape to do double duty work as pasties, simple staple gun & staples, permanent marker, cleaning kit, deleading wipes/soap (handling ammo, especially .22lr is dirty AF), small multitool to do basic field repairs, extra magazines/ammo, reloading tool (Uplula/Maglula), shot timer, spare batteries for me electronics (optics, hearing protection, shot timer).

Outside my range bag I have my target stands & posts. Since I also have steel targets, I have a can of spray paint.

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 18, 2020

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Just curious. What signs/tells did they reveal that they were a Nazi? The easiest thing would be to not bother using them again as an FFL but if you wish to tell them with a phone call off just keep it civil. "Hello, this is Lumbermouth. While I appreciate the FFL transfer you did for me for my firearm I will not utilize you for your services again. Goodbye."

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

If you haven't read it yet this post has a great breakdown of pagan symbols and how some folks use them (or variations) to signal their racist thinking.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I guess the next fundamental shift in firearms will be moving away from lead ammo. I know it exists but the is such a barrier.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I got a fat noggin' about that size & Howard Leight Impact Sport Earmuffs fits fine. A little adjustment and they'll fit.

I do prefer my Peltor Comtac III but I have the neckband version, which conveniently bypasses a lot of issues headband models have.

One thing that makes a huge difference if you're willing to spend is upgrading to gel cups.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Eh, if you want to get pedantic there is technically an improvement that compensators on pistols provide, but unless you do enough shooting to feel the difference with/without one it may not seem like much.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yeah. But they do look cool.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I got used to the OEM extended slide stop & hitting it with my support hand, but that technique doesn't transfer over to the Kagwerks one. Instead now I can just use my shooting hand thumb to activate it and .

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

There are some comps that tout that they work fine with stock internal components (Agency comes to mind) while some companies warn that you'll need to find-tube your stuff to ensure reliability (IIRC KKM is the big one). I run a Legion Precision comp and so far no issues with stock parts & plain 115g ammo.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Jack B Nimble posted:

Here's a dumb question:

I built my ar-15 about seven years ago and it has a dull green stock and pistol grip, but a black heat shield. The stock and pistol grip are marked Magpul MOE and, if I'm looking at their website correctly, are probably "olive drab". It doesn't really match what OD green looks like to me, but it's the only color it could be out of their current selection. But did they used to sell other colors? I ask because I'd like to buy a different heat shield/foregrip, and I want the colors to match.

In other words, has Magpul only ever offered one kind of AR-15 "green"?

Edit: GIS is suggesting to me the color is OD green, the photos look similar, so I guess it's fine.

Magpul used to offer "foliage green" to match the Army's ACU camouflage pattern. As for their OD green, it's pretty dark in comparison to other, more traditional OD green you see by other manufacturers but IMO it's pretty consistent within the company.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Sure looks like a carbine-length gas tube.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I have a Leatherman MUT with the bit driver kit as my EDC but in my range bag I have an AR & AK front sight adjuster tools, a staple gun, batteries for my electronics, and a couple specific hex wrenches for my screw-in BFA's.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Not a tool per se but masking tape to cover up holes in paper targets. And when I run out of staples for my staple gun.

Also some permanent markers for writing on my targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I'm lucky to live relatively close to a Sportsman's Warehouse so my membership works out well.