Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

<>

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

<>

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

<>

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 29, 2020

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

<>

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

<>

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

<>

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 29, 2020

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

<>

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Cobalt-60 posted:

What is sufficient reason to buy a gun?

I've never owned a gun. Never been very interested in them; didn't grow up around them. Picked up some gun knowledge by osmosis in the Navy, and shot enough to stay proficient.

I don't have any interest in hunting or target shooting, and I'm not a collector of anything.

Never wanted a gun for self-defense; there's nothing in my apartment worth killing anyone over.

But with the country circling the drain, and emboldened fascists running around, I don't know what to think.

I don't like the idea of having to use a gun, but the prospect of needing a gun and not having one seems...possible.

And personally, I live in a college town, where the liberals/leftists I know are more of the "write a strong letter to the paper" variety.

That's ultimately a personal decision. Are you comfortable having a gun around your home, and can you store it securely to keep small hands and/or sticky fingers off?
There's a lot made of the "lifestyle" of gun ownership, but it's a tool pure and simple. You can become giant nerds like us, or you can do some occasional training/range time (please do devote some time and money to training if you're getting a gun for self defense, and it isn't a one and done sort of thing) and not think about the gun the other 99% of your life.
IMO, if you don't actually want a gun, don't get one. If you want one, go for it. The chances of you ever actually needing it are very low. Even now.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 1, 2020

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

<>

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 29, 2020

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

<>

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 29, 2020

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

<>