Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

To add onto poopgiggle's callout of T-Rex Arms faking his videos, he's also a biggot and homophobe, as detailed in our thread about racists, fash, and other trash in the gun community https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894692

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

rump buttman posted:

How small of a gun can you put slide mounted optics on? Is the width of the slide the determining factor.

Theoretically you can put an optic on a slide that's slimmer than the optic as long as there's still enough space for the mounting screws

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

If you don't know much about the topic and don't know how to vet sources it can also look like there isn't a consensus on vaccinations

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Any kind of product that is supposed to be both a lubricant and a solvent is going to be pretty crap since a good solvent should remove the lubricant (and everything else) from your gun

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

It's difficult to articulate just how insanely awful that product name is

Also no the whole point of the standard is to provide a repeatable solid mount, shims shouldn't be needed

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

That name absolutely deserves all of the shame we can give it

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

A Glock 19 or 17 is probably one of the best guns you can own. The 19 is concealable for most people, and 9mm is the best pistol round for practical uses.

Feel free to pop into the Glock thread for more advice but really all you need to start is a pile of ammo and a bunch of magazines. Youíll be competing in no time.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Itís probably still worth giving that list of things people think are compelling but arenít (hand feel)

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

The Rat posted:

But yeah there's also the fact that for -practical defensive use for a totally new shooter- (I'm being specific here, not counting someone who already has a bunch of guns and just wants a revolver for a specific role, or someone wanting to get into handgun shooting purely for recreational purposes), a revolver is dollar for dollar objectively less capable than a modern semiauto pistol. Less capacity and a heavier DA trigger, and probably worse sights.

And a lot fewer of them can take a light, which every home defense gun should have

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Comparing the X5 to a stock glock is hardly an apples-apples comparison.

Also yeah seconding that Paul Harrell makes bad videos for people who don't know better and gives questionable advice. Also was involved in a "defensive" shooting that resulted in death in extremely suspicious circumstances.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Yes that one

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, a blindingly bright light can definitely impede a less motivated opponent, at least discouraging them for long enough for them to realize ah gently caress, gun. A strobe is even better in that regard, but for a home defense gun you probably dont want to be fiddling with settings like that. The Streamlight TLR-2 is generally what gets recommended.

No definitely not the TLR-2

The TLR-1 HL is the entry-level light most recommended. Lasers are mostly worthless.

Nitrousoxide posted:

So 300 lumens should do the trick? I looks like that suggestion doesn't have a USB recharged battery, and I don't really want to be fussing around with tiny non-rechargeable batteries.

More lumen is always better, the TLR-1 HL has 1000 and can usually be found for just over $100. It's definitely the one to go with.

I don't know of any good lights that are USB rechargeable.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

My bad, I thought the TLR-2 was the compact version, not the laser one.

Was it the 6 you were thinking of?

I'd only recommend that one if it's a subcompact or smaller that can't fit the 1 HL, like a Glock 43 or similar.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Ceros_X posted:

The TLR-1 HL is 800 lumens max unless something has changed recently (the Surefire X300U is the 1000 lumen light). Also the stock TLR-1 used to be the go to for the longest time...

I got the 1000 number from https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/tlr-1-hl

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I donít know anything about the BAR but I know enough about M1As to know theyíre probably not what you want

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

eonwe posted:

Thanks for the tips folks. I signed up for a 1 on 1 gun safety course from someone that seems to be pretty well reviewed. When we do the range portion he is going to let me try a variety of pistols and see if I have a preference.

Just keep in mind the advice in the OP about how your initial impression of what feels right/good is probably going to be wrong. A good trainer should help you navigate that a bit and get a better understanding of what "right" should actually feel like. Holding a handgun properly is weird.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

Optics advice:

I have the following firearms:
10 inch barrel 5.56 AR Pistol (Springfield Saint victor)
18 inch barrel 5.56 AR Rifle (Ruger MPR)
16 inch barrel 458 SOCOM AR Rifle (Bear Creek Upper, Aero Lower)

I own the following optics:
SIG Romeo 5 Red Dot with Juliet 3 Flip Magnifier
SIG Romeo 4S
"Tac Vector Optics" 4x Flip magnifier
Eotech XPS2

My preferred optics set up for rifles is a dot/holosite with a flip away reflex.

Relatively recently I got the .458 and pistol. Originally I was going to put the 4S on the pistol and the Eotech/flip away on the rifle, but now that I actually have the Eotech in hand with a larger site picture window and 65 MOA ring might make more sense to have the eotech alone on the pistol and use the 4S/flip on the rifle? The Romeo/Juliet is currently on the MPR and I'm fond of that style setup. 5.56 has about 100 yards more effective range than 458 so might make sense to put the 4x magnifier on the MPR? Not looking forward to all the boresiting and zeroing moving all the stuff around but whatever makes the most sense with what I got is the way I wanna go.

Sell some of your magnifiers and get a variable optic for the 18" IMO. Barring that, there's not a lot of difference between 3x and 4x at regular 5.56 ranges.

Also be sure to get that Bear Creek checked over if you haven't already, turns out hiring undocumented immigrants to slap together uppers leads to some questionable quality control.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

Holster issue aside, as someone with only minimal experience with reflex sights, would it present a risk of bad gun alignment? Like, drawing from holster and your gun is cockeyed but the dot is on target. On that model you have front and rears to align for cowitness but you probably arent going to under pressure.

No. You just won't see the dot until you get the gun pointed in the right direction. It's a training thing and you WILL need to practice your draw a lot more than with irons.

Using irons in addition to an optic is a crutch that lets you get away with lazy technique and bad training.

Flashy irons in the optic's picture will also clutter up and distract your sight picture. There is some benefit to having irons on a defensive gun with an optic in the case of failure, but you'd want those irons to be as unobtrusive as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

New Concept Hole posted:

After reviewing the wiki list of users, I am compelled to point out Bermuda's Nat'l Guard replaced the Mini-14 with the L85A2, which is perhaps the most scathing indictment of the Mini-14 I've ever seen.

quote:

The Rajneeshpuram Peace Force employed some Mini-14s in addition to Galils and Uzis.

Yikes. Dunno if that's much of a selling point either.