Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

As mentioned at the end of the last thread, I got a Glock 45 on the way after many, many years of being gunless.

Of course, it's hard to find ammo nowadays.

I'd like to have something to just start out the gun with...Is any of the stuff that buds has in stock something I should avoid or specifically chose?

Or somewhere else I should look for ammo?

The Winchester is the wrong caliber, 9x23 mm. You need 9x19 mm aka 9mm Luger. I don't know anything about DRT, but weird ammo (less than 90 grains or heavier than 147 grains), frangibles, odd profiles, may not feed well. It might though, no way to know without trying, though I'd look for some reviews before buying that stuff. I don't know anything about Legend, but I've never heard of them until now which is usually not a good sign so you may be rolling the dice on them.

When I'm looking for ammo, I usually by from https://www.sgammo.com or https://www.targetsportsusa.com unless there is a good sale elsewhere, otherwise I use https://ammoseek.com/ to find the best prices on what I'm looking for, but you may end up having to pay a bit of premium these days. Generally, I'd stick to brass or steel-cased ammo 115-147 grains, the aluminum stuff sometimes doesn't work well. Most big brands are fine, including the foreign stuff like PPU and GECO. the main stuff I'd avoid is re-manufactured ammo unless they've been around a while and have consistently good reviews, and Tula steel-cased ammo because it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

rump buttman posted:

How small of a gun can you put slide mounted optics on? Is the width of the slide the determining factor.

Width, length of the slide behind the ejection port, and there also has to be a spot where milling an optics cut won't impinge on anything important inside the slide (drop safeties, striker channel, etc). On a really small auto, weight could also be a factor, if your optic is heavier than the amount of material removed it could affect functioning since those guns typically don't have much margin for error in order to properly function. Smaller optics, like the RMSc and one of the new sig dots, can be put on smaller guns, though they're typically less durable and have smaller lenses.

There are ways to mount optics without milling the slide (frame mounts or mounts that use the rear dovetail) but they are usually sub-optimal for carry, though viable for competition. One other alternative is guns that have an alternative means of mounting an optic to the top, such as a rail or other mounting system (Desert Eagle, large revolvers), but you're usually not going to see that on a carry gun. All that said, typically the smallest autos that have optics on them are in the Shield, Glock 43, P365. which are about the smallest 9mm guns available. The only stuff you can't really put a dot on these days are very small revolvers and autos (LCP and similar).

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

MantisClaw posted:

Typically then you look at other methods of mounting such as using the dovetail.
https://dueckdefense.com/shop/handguns/glock/rbu-multiple-red-dots/ for example.

The angle isn't an issue so much as durability. RDS on a handgun take a lot of abuse during the normal firing cycle and milling the slide is typically the most secure method.

What he said, plus if you wanted to use tall iron sights as a backup to your dot, then you usually need a fairly low mount.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Peeches posted:

I can't find any online course that equals that nra one, but I'm still looking.
One person at a time, absolutely great advice. I'm confident and I'm careful. I want them to prepare ahead of time with basics, so I guess I need to start watching YouTube videos.
I'd love to be an instructor someday, so I guess I'll see how this goes.
Thank you!

I've done this for some people at my work as well, definitely stick to one person and keep it simple. If they're truly brand new and it is safe and comfortable to do so, I'd also recommend going over safety and handling at home or some other place other than the range beforehand so that they're already familiar with the firearm(s) they're going to shoot and get the hands-on safety stuff prior to entering a potentially stressful environment. You probably already know to do so, but I'd definitely cover non-obvious safety stuff like wearing appropriate clothes, the potential for brass burning or hitting them, maintaining the four rules when you get excited, etc. With brand new people, I also make sure they know to just set the gun down pointed downrange if they run into any kind of issue at all. I cover very basic stance/grip (don't lean back, don't put your thumb behind the slide, keep your digits away from the cylinder gap on a revolver, etc), though I don't recommend going too into the weeds because it can be overwhelming if you give them too much to think about.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Sextro posted:

Gift shopping for the brother-in-law, think some kick rear end hear pro that he would really want, but never justify buying for himself would be a good gift. I know he does most of his shooting outdoors, but he visits indoor ranges occasionally as well.

Any recommendations? Couple of price options would be a plus, haven't decided on a budget yet.

I'll second the Comtac 3s, they're awesome. As Tyro mentioned, they run from just under $300 and up. I did luck out a while back and snag a set from Botach for $180, so maybe you'll get lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

CarterUSM posted:

So if I'm reading you correctly, SAAMI (which I see is an industry standards group?) has a spec for what "+P" means for 9mm, so I ought to be able to fire Speer +P through my Walther 9mm occasionally without worrying about a wildcat round blowing my hand off, yes? Just make sure to stay up on my cleaning/inspection/maintenance?

As long as your gun is rated for it (it is in this case, it is real +P (not for a caliber that Tarlibone didn't mention e.g. "+P" .380 ACP) it's fine to shoot but may be a bit harder on your gun in the long run. As mentioned by others, I'd avoid +P hand loads or +P+ stuff since that stuff isn't made to any kind of official spec and could be dangerous. All of that said, I've never seen a gun that was made for it noticeably beat up by shooting +P ammo, it would probably take quite a bit to see any difference.