Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Fearless posted:

Sure. Any particular questions you would like to see addressed?

Cap and ball revolvers? (I'm not being an rear end in a top hat. I wouldn't mind reading something about these.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Great post.

When this crap all ends or whatever, I might have to look into shooting a black powder rifle.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Adequate Panther posted:

I'm looking at getting a cheapish (<$500) full size 9mm mainly just for fun. I'm looking at a few different ones and want a second/third/fifth opinion.

My list based on my lovely internet research is, in no particular order:

Sig Sauer 2022
Remington RP9
Canik TP9
Hi Point C9, this is topping my list right now This is a joke!
Ruger American 9mm Pro 8607

I'm not exactly new to using firearms, just new to buying them. If there's a better option that I'm missing please let me know.

Depending on your state, the Hi Point may not even be available; they don't pass most melting-point laws.

You might want to consider the Smith & Wesson M&P. You can still find some first generations out there for less than $500, and the 2.0 versions are right at and sometimes slightly above that price. The 2.0 has a better trigger and more aggressive stippling, but the first generation is still a decent gun. They come with a few different backstraps that you can choose from to make it fit your hand better.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

It depends on your state, and it depends on the online merchant. It also depends on the store. I think my experience is pretty standard, though. Illinois has some medium-high restrictions. The website almost always has a page dedicated to walking you through the process of ordering a gun online. Here's what it generally entails.

Basically, I go to the website. Personally, I've had excellent luck with GrabAGun, but Bud's Gun Shop is also good (loads of people swear by them), and I've also ordered from AIM surplus. Anyway, I pick my gun--usually a revolver because those are the best--and I do the standard stuff: add it to the cart, go to checkout, create an account (I would not skip this step), pay, and get the confirmation email.

Now, in Illinois, there is a 72 hour waiting period. The clock starts when you fill out paperwork. If you buy from the FFL directly, then you fill the paperwork out right then. Otherwise, you can fill it out whenever, but that clock starts when you hand in the paperwork. So, I'll usually go directly to the store and fill out the paperwork as soon as the payment is accepted. That's when the clock starts, and that's cool, because best case scenario, it's going to take at least 3 or 4 days for the gun to arrive anyway. I'm not losing any time.

When the gun arrives at the FFL, they call me, and I head down to take possession. At this point, I pay the $20 FFL fee, and I walk out with my latest, greatest chunk of freedom.

Some of those steps will be different for you. Some places will make you pay the transfer fee up-front, for example. And I think my place has one hell of a great price for the transfer. But that's generally how it works. But, as with all things, Your State May Vary.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

• Grab A Gun: I've personally used them a few times. Great prices, fast shipping, pain-free experience. I find that the prices are a little better here than at Bud's, but that's not always the case. They do have just one price listed, though, and that's nice. Also, I find their filtering interface much easier to use. This is the Pepsi of online gun merchants, in my humble opinion.
  • Bud's Gun Shop: the Coke of online gun sales. But, don't let the price posted on the front page fool you. That's the Cash Discount price. If you pay with a credit card, even if that credit card is your bank's debit card, you have to pay a 3% surcharge. They call this the "Retail Price," and you don't see it until you click on the gun you want and look at the details. Now to be fair, it is prominently displayed on the gun's detailed listing, and they clearly explain what you have to do to avoid paying the slightly higher price. But, it very slightly rubs me the wrong way. That said, I'd order from them in a minute if they had a cheaper price on what I want than GrabAGun. Bud's has a great reputation.
  • AIM Surplus: I've used these guys once: for my European LEO trade-in Model 10. The process was smooth, and if they had something I wanted for cheap, I'd definitely work with them again. My only gripe with them is that if you forget to select the in-stock only option on the filters, you're going to have to deal with a lot of things that aren't in stock. A lot of what they sell is LEO trade-in, and there are some serious deals to be had.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

This is why y'all should start with revolvers. The magazines are built-in (for free!) and they just plain feel good in your hand they really are fun.

Seriously. My only regret about my first gun being a revolver is that I didn't buy one for each hand.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

The NYPD got overly heavy trigger springs custom installed on their glocks because their officers were apparently not trained to keep their finger off the trigger.

... ... ...

No. No no no. It's too easy. The comments and jokes are just too easy. I will not take the bait.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Pretty much anywhere that has shooting stuff for sale will probably have clay pigeons. Maybe not small, independent gun stores, but places like Cabelas always has them.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Just throw your dirty dishes up in the air. After you've blasted them all, look at someone and say, "Dishes are done."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tyro posted:

Man I haven't thought about that movie in aaaages.

Aw crap, I forgot to refer to it as a documentary!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

poopgiggle posted:

Guide to choosing a defensive handgun

This has some good info. Since you're talking about defense in general, it probably is a good idea to include something about either mounting a light (and considering guns that come equipped with rails from the factory, like the M&P and probably a lot of others), or just in general, keeping a bright flashlight near the home defense gun. If it's a handgun, you can still use the flashlight, even if it's not mounted. It's not ideal, but it beats shooting in the dark.

(Also, y'all must live in horror movies or thrillers or something, because every light in every room of my house is controlled by a switch that's located near every doorway. You can't walk into a room in my house and not be right by a light switch. Turn on the drat lights, folks!)

My only complaint is that you don't say anything about revolvers. Like, at all, except to point out how they're not immune to reliability concerns. I'm a revolver fanboy, so of course I notice that, but since some folks may find themselves with a revolver one way or another, it might not hurt to mention them as an option for something other than deep concealment options.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

I can sure as hell appreciate having a less than rational fear (hello, insects), but what is your apprehension?

I remember the first few months I carried a Kel Tec P3AT I acted like a land mine was in my pocket. But that wears off pretty quickly.

I know I certainly had the same apprehension. For the first few months of carrying, I didn't have a round chambered. When I would drill, I would rack the slide on the draw. Eventually, I felt comfortable enough to carry with a round chambered.

I think the apprehension, for me, came from the fact that it's just so easy to pull the trigger. With a revolver, that's not an issue unless the hammer is cocked. Older pattern semiautomatics generally have one or more safeties, and may even have a DA first trigger pull to boot. But on my 9c, the only thing stopping you from shooting is a light trigger. Worrying about forgetting to clear the gun was also a reason why I didn't chamber a round for a while, since it'll fire with no magazine inserted.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Anonymous Robot posted:

Agreed when it comes to pistols, but as someone who is cross eye dominant, this is untenable for me with a rifle unless I wanted to switch orientation entirely.

And I personally don't believe that we choose our orientation. That's just something some people have to believe so they can feel better about hating people who are different than them.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I bought gun oil wipes one time. Just a tiny package, just to try them.

Never again. I don't know why I wasn't expecting it, but the first thing that happened was my hands were thoroughly coated with gun oil. The wipes, for idiot me, were much messier than just using a bottle of Hoppe's gun oil and some patches.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

raverrn posted:

Where can I find decent, cheap target ammo in 9mm? Everywhere seems to be sold ouy.

I just ordered 500 bullets from Missouri Bullet Company. 115 grain LRN, coated. Because we've reached a point where in order for me and my wife to shoot 9mm, I have to roll my own.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The whole idea that someone can break into your house for any reason and then sue you when you use any force you deem necessary to remove them is mostly an urban legend. Asterisk. The whole "the burglar slipped on the floor, cut their head on the counter, and sued the owner for a jillion dollars" thing doesn't happen.

When you bring a civil lawsuit, you have to have clean hands. That goes right out the window the instant you break into someone's house, regardless of what your intent was. If you're not invited and it wasn't an accident that you're in the house, then civilly speaking, you have unclean hands and can't sue. Asterisk. This isn't to say that the homeowner is free from any criminal liability. They could be arrested, charged, and convicted of a crime by the state. And restitution might result from that. But, burglars don't get to sue you if you hurt them when they break into your house. Usually. Asterisk.

Asterisk? Yeah, there are some limited exceptions. Notably, if you're not home and you've laid a booby trap, like, say, a spring gun? You might have some problems with that one. But if you're home and someone breaks in, they're invading your home, and whatever happens to them is on them.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Murmur Twin posted:

My coworkers live off on a mountain road and is inviting my boyfriend and I to camp on his property / shoot some of their guns, I'm surprisingly excited for it for someone who grew up in a city.

... I grew up in a rural town, and I'm not saying this is what they definitely have in mind, but where I came from, when we invited cityfolk out to the nearby countryside for "camping and shooting," we called it "the ol' 'most dangerous game.'"

So... serpentine.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That Winchester Forged is flat out garbage, I've had guns that never malfunctioned with anything else jam with that. It seriously feels like they lacquered it and rolled it in sand before it dried. It's also absolutely filthy so it can lead to other ammo malfunctioning because you've got a 1/16" coating of sticky gunk on the feed ramp.

I haven't had a problem with it, but then again, I can't deny that it is super dirty, and the casings feel kind of gritty, especially for lacquered steel. When Tula somehow feels a lot more high-quality, maybe it's time to rethink the ammo choice.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

My only problem with multi-piece rods is that the rifling will sometimes untwist the separate sections as you're running the brush or jag through the barrel.

It's more of an annoyance than anything, though. I've never actually had them come all the way apart. I wish they had flats so I could tighten them better without chewing up the sides with pliers.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

I just push it in, then pull it out and pulling it out usually rescrews it.

Phrasing!

Yeah, this is usually my experience. I just don't like how wobbly some rods feel in that unscrewed phase, and it doesn't always screw itself all the way back in.

If I get the rods screwed together tight enough enough, it's not a problem.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

So basically, don't buy from the guy at the range who's picking up all the shell casings everyone is dropping and saying he has some sweet deals on some reloaded ammo.

Well, I'm pretty sure that guy shouldn't be selling the ammo he's making.

But, you can buy bulk ammo online that has been reloaded, if memory serves. Or maybe I'm thinking remanufactured? I know I've seen that online.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

For revolvers, I have never had a problem with factory ammo. And, I've run some pretty cheap factory ammo. There was an issue with Armscor 357 mag, but that ended up being the gun. Before I started reloading, the best deal in town by a lot on 38 Special was Remington UMC, and I never had a single problem with it. In fact, I reload that brass to this day. Armscor, S&B, Magtech, Winchester, Blazer, Herter's... all fine.

I have run so much Winchester white box in our autoloaders that some ammo snobs' heads would probably explode. My wife works for a company that helps special needs adults hold jobs, and one of the workshop piece-work things they do is reboxing Winchester ammo, so she's a little loyal to the brand. Also, they're local. We have never once had a single problem with Winchester white box in 9 mm or 45 ACP. (With 380, we have had issues, but that LCPII just plain has issues, so who knows.)

Honestly, I hear stories about ammo problems sometimes and just wonder if our M&P's and 1911 are just super-not-picky about their food. Even the steel-cased Tula and Winchester run fine, but both were really dirty, and I had one box of Tula that added sparkles to every shot. The only ammo I will not buy again is Blazer aluminum 357. Those things expand and try to weld themselves to your chambers.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Why before November?

I mean, yeah, buy before November, because November is a ways off and having a gun now is always nice. Plus, 22's are fun with a gun on a bun in the sun. I also want a levergun really bad, but I can't make up my mind on a caliber.

If you're going full-on cowboy, you could get that levergun and a single action 22 revolver. Practical? No. Fun? Yes.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

That is a Good Dog.

... dreaming of running around, tugging on an infinite number of socks, digging holes in soft dirt along an endless line of fences, eating any number of poops.

Meanwhile, there's a cat somewhere in your house right now, even if--especially if--you don't even own one, plotting your demise. It already knows how it's going to eat your carcass. It doesn't love you. And it doesn't hate you because of your gender identity, religion, race, or political affiliation. It hates you because it's a cat.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

ParadeRainer posted:

This feels like a dumb question but I'm going to ask anyway.... If my dad wanted to buy me a gun for my birthday, is that allowed? Like if he used a Credit Card in his name would that stop me from having the firearm registered in my name for any reason?

It depends a lot on your state. But, the ATF also has rules of their own.

Probably the best way to go would be to have your dad get you a gift certificate to the gun store, or to just give you the money in an envelope that says, "For Freedom Insurance Premium Payments Only." Otherwise, a suspicious gun shop employee might consider it to be something of a straw sale.

Or, if you order online, nobody would probably know, actually. Any way that lets you fill out the necessary paperwork (so that the only involvement pops has is the actual payment) should be the safest bet.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Would that make AKs Erector Sets?

I'm looking around at parts, and... that's not far off, at least for ARs. I think that might also apply to AKs, too.

I just want a remix of the scene in Johnny Dangerously where he's being led to the execution chamber and the priest opens his bible, but instead of a round magazine drum for a Tommy gun, there's a 30-round AR15 magazine. And as he walks down death row, the inmates hand him individual components that he assembles along the way.

... I'm going to watch that movie again.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

It sounds like she would like a target pistol in 22LR. Getting below $300 is possible but tricky for anything quality unless you're willing to shop used. In semi-auto, most of these fall into two basic categories, as far as I'm concerned: "combat" style (for lack of a better term, unless someone knows of one) and target style.

Combat style: these are pistols that look like regular pistols meant for duty purposes, concealed carry, other self defense, etc. Often, they are copying specific models or styles, and some folks buy them to practice on a given platform using ammo that's cheaper than 45 ACP, 380 ACP, 9 mm, etc. These aren't target pistols per se, but most of them are fun plinkers. The Smith & Wesson M&P 22c and Glock 44 are examples of what I'm talking about.

Target style: these don't look like any gun that someone would carry for self defense or anything. They are optimized for plinking and target practice, and are often highly customizable. The big three that come to my mind are the Ruger Mark IV, the Smith & Wesson Victory, and the Browning Buckmark, each of which is available in a lot of different configurations at several price points.

If you move your budget to $300 - $500, you can easily pick up any of these firearms... assuming you can find any in stock. Of the three target models I mentioned, in the beforetimes, there was at least one version of each available sub-$400, but a lot of those are out-of-stock now. I'm not sure what the used market on these is like, either.

Normally, this is where I tell you that revolvers are the way to go, but the 22 revolver scene is weird. There is a massive chasm in cost and quality between most of the fun but kind of junky (with one notable exception) sub-$200 single-action revolvers that are made out of alloy, and the nicer target revolvers (single action only and double/single action) that tend to cost hundreds more and are more for enthusiasts. Like, say, this. So, and I can't believe I'm saying this... unless your mom really wants a single action Ruger Wrangler, skip the revolver and go with the semiautomatic.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 28, 2020

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Plastic Pal posted:

I totally bought babby's first gun today. I know Ruger 10/22 is wimpy fuddy-duddy way unhip & all but I've never even shot anything before, REALLY wanted to get a gun before the 2nd stimulus checks go out & before the election...and AR-15s are just not even remotely in my budget (stores in my city selling lowers for $270 alone, j*F*c).

Tbh I can't help but be ecstatic about my new used 25-year-old nearly-pristine scoped plinker. My own gun! I can't wait for my first range meet.

Would someone far more knowledgeable about this stuff direct me to a cleaning kit for this rifle that I can buy? I'm honestly afraid I'll buy the wrong thing. It's all kinda overwhelming.

Nice! My first 22 was a 10/22, because I really wanted a 22 and that was a model a lot of people here suggested as babby's first rifle and/or 22. And while not an ideal choice for home defense or anything like that, nobody should underestimate the effectiveness of a well-placed 22 LR round.

Someone else answered the cleaning kit question with a pretty good kit. But honestly, anything with a .22 bore brush, patch loop, and/or jag will suffice. Or you can go with a bore snake.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I wouldn't mind having a 22 levergun, but I wanted one in a big caliber first, so that's what I got. It'd be neat to have a 22 bolt-action, or tube-fed, or maybe some other 22 fun. I mean gun. No... no, I was right the first time.

Geez... I have the 10/22, the 22/45, the Model 63, and the Wrangler. This means only 50% of my 22's can shoot 22 short, the harder-to-find, more expensive, less useful bullet. A levergun would fix that....

BTW, all this talk reminded me that since my last cleaning rod set got borked somehow, I didn't have a way to clean my rifles, so I went out and got a Hoppe's 3-piece rod set. I have all the brushes, mops, and loops I need already.

And, question time: I'm going to break in my 44 levergun today, in just a couple hours actually. Other than running a dry patch down the barrel, is there anything I should lube first? The action seems nice and smooth right now, and unlike some pistols I've bought, it didn't arrive dripping with thick oil, so there wasn't much need to clean the action or anything.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 31, 2020

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Shut up shut up shut up my bank account is still suffering from my last dumb purchase.

You and me both, man. And now, my freakin' shoulder is suffering. I thought a rifle in 44 would only be twice as much recoil as a 22, because that's how math works. Turns out I was wrong. I put 25 rounds through it today, and at #23, I knew I'd gone a bit too far. (Shooting off-hand.) Man... my shoulder was not in shooting shape. ... ... I want to go shoot it again. Now.

(And I might want an AR, and an S&W 460, and a 638 for a CC snubby that's lighter than my Taurus, and a single action in a fun caliber, maybe one of those with a 45 ACP and 45 LC cylinder...)

As for the 10/22 for home defense... yeah, not ideal, but better than nothing. I think someone here put it best a while back: shooting someone with a 22 is kind-of like stabbing them with a Phillips head screwdriver. Does that have the immediate stopping power of a 223, 357, 9 mm, or 45? Nope. But riddle me this: how many people trying to steal your stuff are going to keep coming after you in your house after you've stabbed them with a Phillips head screwdriver 10 times from across the room? Not many.

Life's not a video game. Hit points and attack power only matter so much. You rock that 10/22, and remember, you can get 14,000 bullets for $1, and they're having trouble finding more than 100 steel-cased Tula non-reloadable rounds. Nothing to be ashamed of. It's not like your first gun was a S&W 686, after all.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

poeticoddity posted:

If you want a really rough idea of relative recoil, there's a ballistic performance table in most wikipedia articles for ammo varieties.
.22LR shows 131 - 204 ft*lbs
.44 magnum shows 741-1533 ft*lbs

I was kidding, but I didn't know that formula was in the Wikipedia articles. Thanks!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Posting to applaud your choice of levergun as it is mine, pew pew pardner

Even the various 44mag loads I currently have in my bag punch very differently, the one thing I cannot imagine is firing these rounds out of a handgun lmao it would take my forearm off

Howdy!

The only 44 mag I've been able to score is Sellier & Bellot 240 gr JSP, and it is punchy out of the rifle. Out of my 629, it's quite the handful. I'm sure it's not as bad as a lot of what's out there (I'm looking at you, Buffalo Bore), but it is really, really snappy out of a handgun, even a steel N-frame with a 6" barrel. When I take my 629 to the range, I'm mostly shooting 44 special, especially now that I've dialed in a load I like. I might run a cylinder of the magnum through it, but no more than that. I'm not the glutton for hand punishment that some of the wheelgoons here are.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

Been going to the range about once a week now, and I'm getting worried about my backpack finally making GBS threads out everything in onto the floor. My question is: Are range bags worth looking at, or are they just basic luggage someone just slapped a gun logo on to sell to the shooting market? If so, which ones should I consider if I'm mainly lugging just one pistol for now?

Flatland Crusoe posted:

The G.P.S. Tactical pistol backpacks are so worth it and well made. I wish I had that good of a streamlined solution for rifle gear.

Tactical backpacks are pretty cool, but if you don't want to spend a whole lot of money, pretty much any range bag that's as big as you need it to be will work. The one I'm using now I got it at Walmart for maybe $40, and it is strong, hold several guns, holds plenty of magazines, and was really just a good value.

I can put my big-rear end 629 flat on the bottom, and then with the two included pouches, I can add any two full-size pistols. Since I usually buy a rug for every pistol I get (usually the Bulldog one that has handles), I can generally fit at least two more full size pistols in their rugs in the bag as well. Then, I can add a snubby in the end pocket, accessories and mags in the side flaps, and ear and eye pro wherever I can squeeze it in.

Mine is called the Fieldline Pro Series Deluxe Range Bag.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 3, 2020

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Yes, decide what you want to do, and what you want your gun to do to help you do what you want to do. When I finally bought my first gun, I wanted to develop a little skill at shooting, have some fun, and look totally awesome doing it. So naturally I got the best gun, or as some folks would call it, a revolver.

(My wife got a polymer-framed 9 mm because she's smarter than me: cheaper ammo, more capacity, and fewer people laugh at her when she tells them what her first gun was. But, for what I wanted out of my gun, the revolver was the way to go.)

I also have a 22 rifle, a 22 semiautomatic pistol, and two 22 revolvers. Do not underestimate the sheer stupid fun of the 22 LR. They're great for teaching and practicing skills on the cheap, and even if that weren't true, the only thing I shoot that's on par with that level of fun are powder-puff 38 specials out of my 686. And I hate to say it, but even my Model 63 (22 LR revolver), which has only a 3" barrel and a 93-pound double action trigger pull (so it's not super-great for precision shooting) is insanely fun. When I bring it out, I rarely run fewer than 96 rounds through it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I like my 605, though. Fun little snubby. Of course, only so much can go wrong with a snub-nose revolver, and a steel-framed one to boot, because I liked the idea of a concealable 357 magnum, but not the idea of one that didn't weigh a lot.

Hi-Points may not be legal where you are; they generally don't pass melting point laws that some states have. This is why us Illinoisans can't get Heritage Rough Riders or Hi Points.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Lumbermouth posted:

Anyone dealt with Stack-Onís customer service before? The cabinet that I bought came without a key.

Just watch a Lockpicking Lawyer video.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Also, 10/22's aren't super-big. Mine is 37" long. I don't know what kind of shelves you're talking about, but this isn't the biggest rifle in the world, and I have a non-takedown version.

Or you could get that, what is it? Little Badger?

Seriously, though, of all the guns I've bought, I think I can make an argument for why most of them were not ideal purchases with one exception: the 10/22. And mine's not fancy. I've swapped out the bolt release plate so that it operates like most other rifles, and I put on Tech Sights because I wanted peeps and those were good and affordable, but it still has the plastic stock. I would like a good wood stock, but they're pricey. (Or I might go space gun with it, with a blue and purple thumbhole stock?)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Hello! Southern Illinois here. Congrats on the FOID! How long did it take?

Anyway... someone here recently had a gun shipped to one of the big box stores, and an issue you may run into is that you might have to wait for them to ship it from the warehouse to the store on a regular shipment. So, shipping might take a few days (which is fine; you have to wait a few days anyway in IL), or it might take a few weeks, and it might be up to the store. I'm not sure how big a problem that'll be at Bass Pro, though.

Contrast this with buying from Bud's Gun Shop or Grabagun and having it shipped to an FFL: once they process your order, they ship it in timely fashion. Of course, "timely" means less and less these days. You'll still have to go to an FFL and pay a transfer fee (my place down here only charges $20), but that's not so bad.

As for finding a place to shoot, forget about indoor ranges, as those are usually pistol and rifle only. Finding places to shoot a shotgun is a challenge in some regards, but if NoIL is anything like SoIL, then you may find that there are some places and clubs that specifically, if not exclusively, cater to shotgun owners. Shooting clays is the order of the day, though, because shotguns aren't generally used for shooting paper targets (other than when you're patterning your shotgun). But, not all of these places are open to the public.

EDIT: Also, whatever you choose, when you order it online, go right then and fill out the paperwork at the place where it'll be delivered. In Illinois, you must wait 72 hours after buying a firearm before you can pick it up. I know this applies to pistols and rifles, and I think it applies to shotguns as well. That clock starts when you fill out the paperwork, so buy the gun online if you have to, and then immediately go and fill out the necessary paperwork. Also, Illinois does a background check, and they are currently backed up. Usually, it's almost instant, but right now they're averaging about 8 days.

EDIT 2: Indoor ranges in my area all forbid shotguns, even slugs. But, you may find some up there that are more forgiving. Check with any range and they'll tell you the rules. Make sure you ask about bringing your own ammo.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 14, 2020

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Yeah, a well-used gun won't look the same as it did before any rounds were run through it. Just ask anyone who has an affinity for stainless steel revolvers about dealing with raccoon eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Speaking of target availability, my local range now stocks 'pandemic' targets of viral particles in all different sizes. Its so dumb its kind of funny.

The target has "Shoot them!" Printed on it too.

Mine has that too! It was the first thing I shot with my 629.