Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Whatís the most cost effective way to put a quality light on an 870 for home defense?

Iíve been eye balling the streamlight tl tracker along with a 20Ē barrel and a box of buckshot to tranform the olí clay buster into a home defense gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

I like turtles posted:

Surefire fore ends are pretty dang nice, I have one on my MP5. Regular retail is $350, but there's a used one on GB for ~$200ish https://www.gunbroker.com/item/857483033
Not sure that's the most cost effective, but if I were putting a light on an 870 thats the way I'd go.

Beware this may or may not spawn discussion about shotguns being suboptimal for home defense.

Are surefire the gold standard?

I already own an 870 with a long barrel. Cheaper than dirt has a Remington 20Ē smoothbore barrel with rifle sights for 155. Iím thinking I can convert with a light for ~300 and not have to do face to face business.

The arguments for an AR makes sense. That is what Iíd buy if I was a first time purchaser and most of my consideration was for home defense.

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

Welp, I already ordered from Cheaper than Dirt and payed 172 shipped for the the 20Ē smooth bore with rifle sights. I guess I payed the impatient idiot panic buyer tax.

Iíll take craptacularís recommendation and probably order a tl racker (in orange). Iíll stay at budget.

Follow up, is cheaper than dirt so scummy I should get a new CC number? Are they one of the companies that donít protect customer info or just rip off artist looking for marks. (Asking very markingly)

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

poopgiggle posted:

The consensus is pretty clear. Lasers are good for the following:

1. Small handguns (S&W J-frames and Ruger LCPs) with small, useless sights.
2. Police who may have to shoot around a ballistic shield, since that makes using the sights hard.

Otherwise you're better off with irons or a slide-mounted optic.

How small of a gun can you put slide mounted optics on? Is the width of the slide the determining factor.

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

Word,what happens if you canít cut into the slide to recess the mount? Does it just mess with the angle of aiming to much to be worthwhile?

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

Right on.

On a different topic, what pocket guns do you grey haired goons recommend?

Iíve never carried and mostly want a pistol I can wear around the shop on my own propery. I am not looking to carry in public. My wife has a glock 19 and Iíd want something thinner, lighter and smaller. When I shot with her family, I had the opportunity to shoot some different pistols. I didnít really like shooting snub-nose revolvers. I was an awful shot with them.

What guns should I try out? Glock 42/43? Are kahrs reliable guns? (My Brother in law has a Kahr and I liked shooting it.)

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

Cyrano4747 posted:

What do you mean by a "pocket gun?" Are you going to be actually pocket carrying? Carrying IWB? OWB?

Most of the truly tiny guns make some pretty big compromises to get to a point where you can slip it into a pocket, which is part of what you're seeing with the snub nosed revolvers. If you just want something a bit smaller for OWB carry on your own property, you might look into a single stack that's not quite as big as a duty pistol.

I was thinking literally pocket w/ holster of some kind. I am weary of wearing anything on my belt in the shop (tool and die) because I donít want to bump anything. I usually wear a vest under my apron. I was thinking of using the exterior vest pocket.

I also know that practically speaking, I should shoot a bunch of rounds (hundreds? thousands?) out of whatever gun I want to carry before carrying. Even if itís just carrying around the shop.

^^^^^^^^^^
Are kahrs bad or just bad compared to glocks? With my wife already having a 19 a 43 already makes the most practical sense. I did like shooting the brother in laws Kahr. I thought the trigger let me be more accurate.

rump buttman fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 17, 2020

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

Thanks for the information everyone (and with my other inquiries). Sounds like I really should wait until I can go to the gun shop/range, handle a bunch of models and put in enough trigger time to make sure it always pops before putting it on me.

Looking forward to check out the lcps along with the small glocks and kahrs side by side when I can.

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

Whatís a reasonable* amount of magazines to own for

1) going to the range 5x a year to shoot 100 rounds each time

2) ccw

3) beginner level pistol sports

*reasonable being that sweet spot between not over buying and not wanting to skimp.

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

My wife owned guns before we got married. I owned a gun before we got married. Now that we are married, can we use each otherís guns freely? (In the context of the law) Can I travel to a range, and shoot her guns without her being present or without her explicit permission for that particular trip without breaking any rules? (Assuming all other rules were followed) Is that what trusts are for?

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

Parts Kit posted:

What state do you live in?

Washington

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

Iím thinking, if I can shoot my wifeís pistol, it would make sense for a noob like me to take the money I would spend on my own pistol, and spend it on ammo and a defensive pistol training course with her g19. After that I could worry about what gat I would want with a smidge of taught experience.

How do you go about finding a holster with zero experience Are there a few g19 holsters that are goon approved and not budget breaking? Iím thinking outside the pants on the hip.

Iím far from getting a ccw or anything, but I would want to get comfortable wearing the pistol in my house before going to an appropriate training course.

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

Another stupid question. Are you suppose to shoot pistols with both eyes open? I was taught to keep both eyes open shooting shotguns and itís what Iíve been doing while dry firing. The Glock sights are hard for me to pick up when focusing down range (wall 20 feet away), so Iím not sure.

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

Question of curiosity. I have no gun to do this to. I was wondering if you mill serrations on a non serialized slide, can you mill through a manufactures mark? Like the Glock logo on a Glock slide? Is that explicitly illegal similar to tampering with serial numbers? Are manufacture marks on a serialized component (frame) as sacred as the serial number? Standard rear end gun, not nfa stuff.

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

I was looking at 80% 1911kits (not to buy, just seeing whatís out there) and noticed most are aluminum. Do manufactures commonly use aluminum frames with steel slides? Is galling ever a thing? Does anodizing and lube keep wear down?

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

I am considering building a 80% kit gun (steel 1911?)and live in WA. I am confused on if WA residents can legally build a 80% gun. I know WA just past legislation about ghost guns. I think building my own gun would be a cool project but I donít want to come anywhere close to breaking a firearm law. Especially since I can just buy a prebuilt gat legally.

Iím not prohibited in anyway from owning a gun if this site is accurate. (https://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/who-can-have-a-gun/categories-of-prohibited-people/)

I am a legal citizen, no run ins with the law (beside a few minor speeding tickets) and I have never used drugs.

So goons, to your knowledge, could I legally build myself a gun I intend to keep forever?

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

Tyro posted:

If it turns out that you can't, you can probably get most of the same level of satisfaction out of building up a 1911 from a bare frame, which you can buy from a FFL. Still a lot of hours of hand fitting and such to end up with a complete pistol.

drat, I hadnít even considered that. Thatís probably going to be what I to do. The little bit of hassle and little less machining to make sure itís all on the up and up seems like a fair trade off for my dumbass.

I assume 1911s (and flocks) are the most common pistol frames to do this kind of project on, are any other pistol models as paint by numbers?

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

poopgiggle posted:

I wouldn't call a 1911 build "paint by numbers."

Bad wording. Iím not trying to be diminutive towards the skill needed to put one together. Let alone for people who have already accomplished it or people who are great at it. I am also keenly aware of the experience and talent needed to go from decent -> good -> to dead nuts in craftsman type work.

I tried to mean, as a pre planned kit/easily available parts vs machine everything from stock or not being able to find springs or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018

Tyro posted:

I don't know the answer but am curious as a fellow Washingtonian.

I got impatient (should have just done this instead of ask the internet) I called up a local place that sells 80% lowers and ask about the situation. They said it is still legal if you never intend on selling the gun. Grain of salt and all of that.