Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

I have used it a few times shooting from very tight spots where I had to have the gun right in front of my face and it worked well. I don't know why you would use it otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

CoffeeBooze posted:

For whatever reason defensive carbine/pistol shooting has never interested me that much. But, for whatever reason this latest talk about pistol fu has actually tickled a part of my brain I didnt even know I had. Once things blow over with COVID19 I think Id like to seek out some instruction on the topic just to check it out. For beginners who are more interested in the topic as a hobby/shooting sport type of deal would a 22 handgun be a good start? Or do I really need to look for something thats more practical for actual self defense? Ive been thinking about picking up a Ruger Buckmark for a while now anyways and these seems like a good excuse.

Think about competing. There's bound to be USPSA near you... at least... after August or whenever the rona blows over . Immersion in that kind of regular gun handling and use will teach you a lot.

I think .22s are different enough to make dryfire a bit odd, most of the technique is manipulation you can practice in dryfire and 22s don't usually have slides or double stack mags. get a .22 AND a Glock.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Yes you can use each others' guns.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Flappy Bert posted:

So, like many Americans, the current situation has me taking a much closer look at personal security and I'm looking into a gun for personal defense. In the medium term I think I want an AR platform and a pistol, but I think I want to start with the pistol. I want the option to concealed carry but don't intend on applying for it immediately or on making a habit of it, and I have small Asian hands, so it seems the lead options are a G43/P320 compact/similar models thereof, within a $400-$500 price range. Does that sound about right?

Additionally, is there a safe storage thread? In an apartment where I don't think I can drill anything.

G43 is nice but you may want a compact and not a pocket-sized gun for your first gun, it'll be easier to learn on. Like a G19. The 320c is a comparable size. Buy used and you can swing a better deal.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Shouldn't be, but unfortunately not every rail is created equal.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Captain Log posted:

I have a “hand feel” question.

Where does ability to manipulate controls, or the “fit” of the gun, fall into everything?

I normally thought it was wise for a gun to fit a persons hand, but I could be full of poo poo.

How you determine "fit" is the problem, usually it means "this gun feels good to me", or "this feels weird" which are useless. They're double useless if you already regularly shoot handguns. Whatever you're used to is comfortable, if you use a gun that feels weird it will soon feel normal.

Unless you're a child, zerglingminor, or physically disabled (left handed) you should be able to main any mass market handgun.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Captain Log posted:

I'm going to crosspost a question here and the CCW thread, because I'm a mag carrier newbie -

When it comes to a mag carrier, what..."direction" do you face the mag? Bullets facing rearwards or forwards?

I did some instruction a few days ago and it was my literal first time dicking around with a mag carrier. I didn't make a fool of myself with the draw from concealment and reholstering, but Jesus Christ I'm clueless with the mag carrier.

Bullets forward. You index your index finger on the front of the magazine as you pull it and simply bring your hand up to the grip of the gun.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

The impression that I've gotten from literature and from experience is that hand preference is far more ingrained (and possibly mechanical) than eye preference. The brain just gets used to primarily selecting whichever of your eyes is better, so the preference can change as your eyes age. You can overcome the eye preference with practice (ie taping over your left eye) to train it into preferring the right eye. It's also easier if you can get your weak eye corrected to match your strong eye. You can't usually train out of hand preference.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Tiny Chalupa posted:

When should someone consider getting a shot timer? As much as I really do enjoy putting rounds down range at paper, and playing battleship with my lady, my ultimate goal is to "get good"

If you want to get good you can't do it without a timer. It's all reps and pushing par times.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Wendigee posted:

Is there a "new" gun that does the duty of an m1 carbine with an updated cartridge?

Would that pretty much just be one of the be a Ruger pistol carbine?

I don't need the range just the ability to hit without much training... I mean I could get past that with a mini-14 or ar-15 and they would probably do anything an m1 carbine could?

Is there a reason for the m1 carbine anymore?

Thx!

AR-15 with a red dot.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

fubolicious posted:

In fact, if it's a glock you need to watch out for over oiling.

no

Run it wet OP

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Captain Log posted:

I thought a comp could potentially affect the reliability of a gun?

Urban legend?

Glocks are hugely oversprung from the factory so if you rob recoil energy from the slide it can induce malfunctions. You should go lighter on the recoil spring anyway, but you will probably have to if you use a comp.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

The real answer is to enter the CMP’s 1911 lottery and get an actual 1911.

Not really good advice if you want something ergonomic. There are better 1911s to be had for less money.

Gin and Juche posted:

Is there any good way of getting CMP membership? Looked into it but it requires a sponsor and the only sponsors in my area are Boy Scout troops and JROTC dealies.

https://thegca.org/membership/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

human garbage bag posted:

Is there another bolt-action carbine that is cheap and has cheap ammo that I should consider?

Also in gun stores, should you ask for permission before picking up and examining a gun that is not behind the counter? For example a circular rack of rifles.

If you could tell us more specifically what you're looking for that would help.

Do you want a mosin because it's appealing or because you want a cheaper boltgun? What is your budget (what do you consider cheap)?