Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

As mentioned at the end of the last thread, I got a Glock 45 on the way after many, many years of being gunless.

Of course, it's hard to find ammo nowadays.

I'd like to have something to just start out the gun with...Is any of the stuff that buds has in stock something I should avoid or specifically chose?

Or somewhere else I should look for ammo?

Well for starters don't get the 9x23 ammo. You want 9x19. Try looking here https://ammoseek.com/ammo/9mm-luger and for practice ammo just get whatever 115 grain FMJ is cheapest. For self-defense ammo, get something in this list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Haha, I didn't even pay close attention to what was there before linking it. I just knew I didn't know enough about brands/quality to feel comfortable buying anything.

No you linked the right page at Bud's. They just have a dumb web designer who put all 9mm cartridges in the same query, so 9x19 and 9x23 (and presumably anything listed here) will all show up together.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

My dad keeps trying to sell me on some fancy-pants Vaultek Safe, with fingerprint scanning, a thermometer, and this thing in the stock that tells time. I'm not sold, it looks flimsy and like I'd be able to pry it open. Anyone heard of them before?
Just get a safe with a plain mechanical dial lock. Sargent & Greenleaf is what most of the better safe companies seem to use.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Mod Cyrano flaunts the rules

It's "flaut." No "n."

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

rump buttman posted:

What's the most cost effective way to put a quality light on an 870 for home defense?

I've been eye balling the streamlight tl tracker
I have a couple of those and would recommend them. You can get one for ~$120 shipped if you look around. https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/Streamlight%20TL-Racker

I like turtles posted:

Surefire fore ends are pretty dang nice, I have one on my MP5. Regular retail is $350, but there's a used one on GB for ~$200ish https://www.gunbroker.com/item/857483033
Not sure that's the most cost effective, but if I were putting a light on an 870 thats the way I'd go.
That would have been a good choice 10-15 years ago, but that's a lot chunkier than it needs to be now and doesn't throw near as much light out as more recent models.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 16, 2020

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Lumbermouth posted:

What scenarios do a ribbed shotgun barrel make sense for? I'm looking at Mossberg 500 models and a lot of them have two sets of barrels. I assume it's a hunting thing?
It's for the duck's pleasure.

The rib doesn't heat up as quickly, so you won't get heat waves off the top of the barrel like you would with a plain barrel. And it provides a flat plane instead of a rounded one, which makes sighting a little easier. So yeah, mostly a hunting thing.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Streamlight TLR-6 for my new Glock 45 for home defense. Yes/no/other? Laser version or not?
The TLR-6 is OK for smaller guns (Glock 26/43/43X/48) that don't have a rail. But for a Glock that does have rail, get a different light. Try a TLR-7.

1) A larger light that uses a CR123 battery will last longer than the much smaller CR-1/3N battery in the TLR-6.
2) The light is also a lot brighter on the TLR-7 (500 lumens vs 100 lumens).
3) You'll find more Glock 45 holsters that are designed for larger lights. Even if you don't plan to carry, a holster is a good idea (especially for a Glock) because it protects the trigger on a gun without an external manual safety and 2) plans can change suddenly.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 16, 2020

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

rump buttman posted:

What guns should I try out? Glock 42/43? Are kahrs reliable guns? (My Brother in law has a Kahr and I liked shooting it.)
Get a Glock 42 or 43. Kahrs are OK-ish but the Glocks are a lot better.

I don't like semi-autos for pocket carry because they're shaped wrong and the back of the slide gets caught on the edge of your pocket much more easily than a revolver with a concealed hammer. I don't much like pocket carry though anyways, belt/waist-level carry is superior in most situations.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

rump buttman posted:

Are kahrs bad or just bad compared to glocks? With my wife already having a 19 a 43 already makes the most practical sense. I did like shooting the brother in laws Kahr. I thought the trigger let me be more accurate.
In my experience they're less reliable out of the box than a Glock, but mostly get better after their recommended break-in. The trigger pull is a lot longer than a Glock's.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Adequate Panther posted:

Remington RP9
Ruger American 9mm Pro 8607

Those two should also be eliminated.

The Canik and Sig 2022 are OK, but I don't know why you wouldn't go with a Glock 17, S&W M&P, SIG 320, Walther PPQ or a CZ instead.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Adequate Panther posted:

I was iffy on the RP9, I'd heard decent things about the Ruger, though. I'm not a fan of the Glock style personally, but no issues with the others. Do you have specific pros and cons to each?

Not really, I'm 100% Glock as far as semi-auto centerfire handguns.

One thing to consider is that while a specific gun might not be a *bad* gun, you have to ask if it's bringing something to the table that some other gun isn't. I don't think that's the case for any of the guns you listed. It'll be extremely easy to relatively easy to find extra magazines, spare parts, and holsters for the guns in my list, whereas for other guns it might not.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

rump buttman posted:

Whatís a reasonable* amount of magazines to own for

1) going to the range 5x a year to shoot 100 rounds each time

2) ccw

3) beginner level pistol sports

*reasonable being that sweet spot between not over buying and not wanting to skimp.

1) whatever the gun comes with
2) for modern 9mm semi-autos, just carry one spare
3) for USPSA you'd need a minimum of five for Production division. Six or seven (to have spares in case something breaks) would be better. You could get by with three or four for Limited or Carry Optics.

It never hurts to have extras though.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Smegma Princess X posted:

I just bought the Ruger AR556 from my local gun shoppe, but upon unpacking this thing, it's leaking oil from every orifice, what do I do?
Someone funnier than me can make a joke about "shits where it eats" and "olestra."

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Proper Kerni ng posted:

If one partner in the marriage is a Prohibited Possessor, obviously neither can have firearms in the house
Are you sure about this? I could see it being a condition of probation that a felon not reside in the same house where a legally held firearm is kept, but I don't see how it would be legal otherwise.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Safariland's great, but the Raven Perun is a good choice for OWB too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078XN9DSN

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Jehde posted:

Although get a Glock 17 if you don't plan on carrying and you have large hands. However even then, I have fairly large hands and the Glock 19 grip still works for me. I just like having the Magpul mag well to kind snug my grip in, so my pinky doesn't fall off the end of the grip.
The circumference on all the double-stack Glock 9's and 40's is the same, and that's a lot more important for hand fit than the grip length.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

rump buttman posted:

Question of curiosity. I have no gun to do this to. I was wondering if you mill serrations on a non serialized slide, can you mill through a manufactures mark? Like the Glock logo on a Glock slide? Is that explicitly illegal similar to tampering with serial numbers?
No, it's not illegal. Remove/mutilate logos or rollmarks all you want.

rump buttman posted:

Are manufacture marks on a serialized component (frame) as sacred as the serial number? Standard rear end gun, not nfa stuff.
I don't know of any law that makes it illegal to do anything to the manufacturer's marks (e.g. "GLOCK INC, SMYRNA GA"). If there was, it would probably be here:

18 USC 922 posted:

(k) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importerís or manufacturerís serial number removed, obliterated, or altered or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importerís or manufacturerís serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
But that law only references the serial number, so AFAIK it's OK.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 17, 2020

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

MantisClaw posted:

That being said most strikers have mechanisms as such the Glock trigger safeties that will act to help prevent a negligent discharge.
The Glock trigger safety is not there to prevent an ND due to someone or something pulling on the edge of the trigger but not in the center of the trigger. It's just a drop safety. That's all.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Final Blog Entry posted:

This may or may not blow up in the ATF's faces eventually.
I think the likeliest "solution" would be to regulate upper receivers too. Big win for us, yay!

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Do you intend to carry? That's the only thing that you need a license for in Texas. Just owning a handgun doesn't require a license.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

The Rat posted:

Roughly:

Flash hider: primarily to reduce visible flash.
Muzzle brake: used to redirect the gasses coming out in order to reduce felt recoil and muzzle flip/movement.
Compensator: used to reduce muzzle flip/movement.

It gets kind of murky because you get combo items like the Surefire Warcomp, but that's the rough breakdown.
You forgot muzzle breaks.

When you have a plugged barrel.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

I went to the manual to see if this was addressed. They sold me a 7.62 mini-14. I didnít even know they made those!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, and I did check it in-store while checking that the serial number was a 58xx too. I just saw the big red block of scare text saying “ONLY LOAD THIS WITH 300 BLACKOUT” and panicked.

So you bought a Mini-14 in 300 BLK? https://ruger.com/products/mini14TacticalRifle/specSheets/5864.html

Anonymous Robot posted:

Re-reading the manual in full now. Not really seeing anything to help me understand why I’m not able to load magazines of .223, or why they won’t reliably feed and will never eject (when hand cycling) though.

I would assume the reason why .223 doesn't work is that it's not chambered in .223.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Peeches posted:

Newbie question, I'm considering my first grown up holster, ( not the cheapo kydex off the rack ones). I know there are a lot of opinions and alliances on the subject, but has anyone heard of Tier 1?
Don't buy holsters where there's an attached mag carrier. Keep the mag carrier and the holster separate.

Peeches posted:

Also... Ohmygosh there are a lot of options.. sweat guard? I don't know how more kydex will keep me from sweating
It doesn't keep you from sweating, it's a barrier between your sweaty skin and the gun.

The real answer is to wear an undershirt. Even if wearing an undershirt and then a cover garment is hotter than the gun or holster directly against your skin, I've found it's more comfortable than having the gun or holster stick to you because you're all sweaty.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Peeches posted:

Why mag carrier separate? I see them together like that frequently.
Personally I think it would make more sense to have it on the support side but then I thought it might be easier to conceal if they were together.

Yes, absolutely put your mag carrier on your support side. But joining the mag carrier to your holster gains you absolutely nothing, and prevents you from more precisely placing it for maximum comfort/concealability.

Realize that the holster you linked is an AIWB holster, which is intended to be worn on the front of your body, not on the right- or left-hand side like a "normal" holster.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Triggerhappypilot posted:

4. More traditional semi-auto carbine. I hate the look of the featureless AR-15s, but i don't know about the ergonomics of them. I've always wanted to try the M14 (well, Springfield M1A) but that's a large, heavy, expensive, and apparently not a great shooting rifle. Any suggestions for a .223/5.56 semi auto carbine in a traditional layout? Is there a less stupid looking featureless AR-15? I'm also looking for something that is short so that it fits in my car's sub-trunk, which is only about 24" inches wide.

Take a look at the Fightlite SCR. https://fightlite.com/rifles/scr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

John DiFool posted:

Iím aware of ammoseek to search for in-stock ammo online, but is there something similar for firearms and parts in general?

https://gun.deals/