Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome Animals
Nov 4, 2011

is shitposting praxis?

I really want to do that at my place, but have absolutely no trust in myself, so Iím waiting until weíve saved up a little to hire someone.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

I FUCKING LOVE COCAINE

Hi goons, while corgski generally does the responsible adult home repair poo poo, I'm the buffoon that, without supervision, will have put in bird feeders, bee houses, a bat house, native wildflowers, and a sneaky stack of sheet tin for creepy crawlies before even making sure the lovely wiring isn't gonna burn the house down.

I did get the one important thing (besides the kitchen, which it's pointless doing that right now) taken care of at least

Just uh, try not to look at any straight lines, ever

So, previous owner fuckery? For a start there was this awful pseudo-stucco glopped all over the sandstone foundation; the masons we had out were able to knock it off in huge sheets luckily, and revealed that it was so poorly put on that there were voids behind it big enough for this:

Back in the stereo room, just for kicks I pulled on some of the paint-over-wallpaper garbage

Friends, do not paint over wallpaper, people will think you're a lazy rear end and they'll be right. Luckily this comes off in big sheets but that's a function of the age of the wallpaper.

The underlying plaster is filthy and bearing some water damage but it's...not tooooo bad, actually?

And the best for last---I don't have a photo of it but there's a raised bed of sorts in the back yard butting up against the parking pad. Obviously had a bunch of grass clippings piled on top so I stuck my (gloved) hand in to see what it's like.

Uhh scrap lumber. Huh. Lemme just try another spot

mother fucker

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Toilet Rascal

What is it?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

I FUCKING LOVE COCAINE

Plaster rubble

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Toilet Rascal

Oooh. Aren't you lucky.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

corgski posted:

The current layout is a mess and it's all going away, here's the new plan.

Questions for you - I'm not the expert here since you're the electrician, but I'm just curious.

• Any reason for so many receptacle circuits? I suppose you're doing all of the wiring, but shouldn't 20A across like two rooms, or sharing the sunroom and something else be sufficient?
  • Does the Dishwasher and Disposal need to be on separate circuits? In CA I believe they do.
  • Does the refrigerator need to be GFCI as well? Shouldn't AFCI be sufficient, since it's not considered a countertop receptacle?
  • Youre using a stacked Washing/Drying machine? (Mine requires 30A)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

ntan1 posted:

Questions for you - I'm not the expert here since you're the electrician, but I'm just curious.

• Any reason for so many receptacle circuits? I suppose you're doing all of the wiring, but shouldn't 20A across like two rooms, or sharing the sunroom and something else be sufficient?
  • Does the Dishwasher and Disposal need to be on separate circuits? In CA I believe they do.
  • Does the refrigerator need to be GFCI as well? Shouldn't AFCI be sufficient, since it's not considered a countertop receptacle?
  • Youre using a stacked Washing/Drying machine? (Mine requires 30A)

I could absolutely double up rooms on circuits and save a few bucks on copper but why bother, materials are normally the cheap part of any major wiring job, and obviously labor is free this time. The sunroom circuit will also power the upstairs and downstairs hallway receptacles. Also bedroom 1 and 2 are our respective home offices and I run ~1200W peak draw in computers, and my fiance's PC is another 700W peak, so combining those rooms would put us close to risking a trip on a 20A, and would absolutely cause a trip if we were to start collecting reptiles again. Additionally for the upstairs rooms, dedicated circuits for window ACs are best practice (even if they aren't necessarily common practice,) and while they'd only ever need a 15A, I'm already going to be pulling 12/2 and 20A AFCIs are functionally the same cost so yolo.

Dishwasher & disposal on the same circuit should be fine as long as the combined load doesn't exceed 20A, and neither manufacturer specifies that the appliance requires a dedicated circuit by my reading of NEC. If I'm wrong I'll deal with it when I get there, that's the easiest possible place in the house to be wrong other than the basement. I also just double checked the code book and you're right, the fridge could be on just an AFCI for residential - I was assuming it was similar to commercial kitchen rules where everything must be GFCI.

For washer/dryer, we have a full-size side by side, but (blessedly) it's a gas dryer so a single 20A already serves them both just fine, I'm just adding GFCI protection to the existing circuit. (This house seriously didn't have a single GFCI anywhere when we moved in.)

corgski fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 5, 2020

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

the yeti posted:

mother fucker

I canít quite tell what that is, rubble? Building waste? Something worse?

I guess bits of wood with lead paint flaking off, or asbestos would be the worst.

I bought a fixer upper house in the UK of 100+ years vintage last year. And 90% of the garden was paved.

I fixed that and Iím making progress, but Iím still finding bits of broken glass, random rusted cast iron things occasionally - but thankfully no sign of paint or anything poisonous.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

I FUCKING LOVE COCAINE

wooger posted:

I canít quite tell what that is, rubble? Building waste? Something worse?

I guess bits of wood with lead paint flaking off, or asbestos would be the worst.

I bought a fixer upper house in the UK of 100+ years vintage last year. And 90% of the garden was paved.

I fixed that and Iím making progress, but Iím still finding bits of broken glass, random rusted cast iron things occasionally - but thankfully no sign of paint or anything poisonous.

You guessed right, it's (plaster) rubble. As a substance it's far from the worst thing but the raised bed is a pretty big volume, so there's no telling how much scrap one of the previous owners hid in there rather than paying to have hauled away.

We were considering redoing the raised bed with railroad ties as it's currently done with dimensional lumber which is predictably starting to fail, but now that's basically a given since the easiest way to get the bed cleaned out will be to pop one of the sides off so the garbage can be shoveled out from ground level instead of having to stand inside.

This house thankfully predates the asbestos-in-everything period of US construction; if we found that hidden on the property it'd be time to drag one or more of the previous owners into court assuming I didn't self immolate from rage first.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 5, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wooger posted:

When the PO of my place did it up for sale they dumped the paint cans into the brambles just past the end of the garden. I may just replace the fence and pretend I never saw it.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Jaded Burnout posted:

...dumped the paint cans...

I thought I was reading that the cans were just hanging out. "No biggie just pick 'em up and throw them way" was going on in my head, but then I read again. My sympathies.

What color is it?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jaded Burnout posted:

When the PO of my place did it up for sale they dumped the paint cans into the brambles just past the end of the garden. I may just replace the fence and pretend I never saw it.

Emptied out, or just put the cans there?

It does boggle the mind.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Cyber Sandwich posted:

I thought I was reading that the cans were just hanging out. "No biggie just pick 'em up and throw them way" was going on in my head, but then I read again. My sympathies.

wooger posted:

Emptied out, or just put the cans there?

Just threw them there, open, with whatever leftover paint they still had in them. I may be able to chuck them in the next skip I get, but that's going to depend on how much paint is still left in them, because leftover paint makes disposal difficult for the same reason that they chose to chuck them back there in the first place.

Cyber Sandwich posted:

What color is it?

Guess.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 28, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Just threw them there, open, with whatever leftover paint they still had in them. I may be able to chuck them in the next skip I get, but that's going to depend on how much paint is still left in them, because leftover paint makes disposal difficult for the same reason that they chose to chuck them back there in the first place.

Guess.

At least in my locality, as long as the paint is dry it is treated like any other construction waste. You can leave the can open for a while till it dries or dump in some kitty litter/sand to speed up the drying.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

At least in my locality, as long as the paint is dry it is treated like any other construction waste. You can leave the can open for a while till it dries or dump in some kitty litter/sand to speed up the drying.

Looks like the same is true here, so I should be OK by now, 4 years later.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I'll get pics when we actually start on the disaster that is the backyard shed but one thing I discovered on my exploratory walkthrough is that the PO also left us a kitty litter bucket with a few inches of a water and ATF slurry in the bottom. I still have to figure out where to go to dispose of that since the local auto parts store doesn't accept contaminated oil for recycling.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nap Ghost

corgski posted:

I'll get pics when we actually start on the disaster that is the backyard shed but one thing I discovered on my exploratory walkthrough is that the PO also left us a kitty litter bucket with a few inches of a water and ATF slurry in the bottom. I still have to figure out where to go to dispose of that since the local auto parts store doesn't accept contaminated oil for recycling.

Depending on where you live, your municipality may have a drop-off station.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Depending on where you live, your municipality may have a drop-off station.

Iíll have to look into that. As far as I know all the waste and recycling here is contracted out to WM who of course want to charge an absurd amount for hazardous material pickup.

Anyway, a fun discovery yesterday: I had planned on using the kitchen countertop circuits as they were without modifications but as it turns out all the countertop receptacles are on a single 20A and the wiring in the wall is all 14ga.

So this kitchen is just getting completely gutted now because we were already 2/3 of the way there between the water damage from the leaking drain stack and the false ceiling weíre removing.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

At some point before the cabinets went up, our kitchen had a little fire, as a treat.

Today's the day where we drop a grand on tools since I realized I don't know when I'll be able to drive 200 miles to borrow tools from my father again. An all new set of makita 18v cordless tools and a dewalt compound miter saw ought to get us started.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

I FUCKING LOVE COCAINE

Yesterday I pulled out this "peninsula" mainly because we needed to see the drywall behind it to check for water damage but also because despite being a wealth of countertop it's literally in the middle of where we're gonna be working.

It honestly wasn't too bad, but since dear previous-previous owner left the back of the cabinet open at the bottom with no real trim, underneath it was and we found: a disgusting candle, an ancient dog chew, and the hanging hardware probably for one of the poorly-hung ceiling fans in this joint

The countertop itself is obviously too long for that much cabinet, so that lumber stuck to the wall is what it was anchored to. Nice. Also, see that outlet top left?

The accompanying cabinet also came down pretty easily, but

One of these things is not like the other~ That flathead actually wasn't even in a stud either, it came out by hand.

In truth though, it probably didn't need screws period given the structural caulk

I forgot to get a photo but honestly the drywall behind that awful tile panel doesn't look too awful bad. There's no sign of further water like we feared, at least.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

corgski posted:

At some point before the cabinets went up, our kitchen had a little fire, as a treat.

At least that's the opposite of high-calorie.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Wow! How far did the fire get.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Not very. Luckily for us the fire was just on the scale of ďgrandma left a candle unattended and the wallboard did what it was supposed to doĒ and not ďmajor structural elements are charred and covered up.Ē

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

ntan1 posted:

So just to follow up on this - I did more research and it appears a bunch of municipalities in CA have mandated this through local amendments to NEC. That's one of the fun things about building codes, even when they're standardized they're not really standardized so you always have to look up local amendments lest you get caught with your pants down. Where I am here in PA, however, the only significant changes to UCC/IPMC/etc are deletions - for example window screens aren't required here.

corgski fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 12, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Window screens are required anywhere?? Why?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Biting insects are a big problem in the southern US and were significant disease vectors in still somewhat recent history, among other things.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Didn't think they were that much of a health hazard that it had to be regulated, rather than just an annoyance.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

I FUCKING LOVE COCAINE

Jaded Burnout posted:

Didn't think they were that much of a health hazard that it had to be regulated, rather than just an annoyance.

Americans would rather get west nile virus and have fly poo poo all over their food than do the smart thing without being forced to

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

the yeti posted:

Americans would rather let their tenants get west nile virus and have fly poo poo all over their food than do the smart thing without being forced to
Ftfy

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

I FUCKING LOVE COCAINE

I mean you ain't wrong a'tall but nothing keeps homeowners from being dumb and spiteful enough to self-own too

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

This thread is on fire and I am even more surprised this house isn't.

(living room chimney looking up)

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

I love this never ending want to murder you house

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oh gosh

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

I FUCKING LOVE COCAINE

Explains why there was an electric heater in that hearth

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

corgski posted:

This thread is on fire and I am even more surprised this house isn't.

(living room chimney looking up)

Could we get an interpretation of this image for the uninitiated?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

There's (what appears to be) a wooden lintel inside the smoke box where there should be a masonry or steel lintel.

I cant quite reach it to see if it's just concrete that was cast in a wooden form and picked up the grain pattern, but reinforced concrete would be somewhat anachronistic for 1920, I'd expect to find a piece of stone there.

E: never mind I just jammed a wrecking bar up there to poke it and it is decidedly wood, this house is a death trap.

corgski fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 13, 2020

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

For those of us who have never bought a house, is there some kind of action to take against the previous owner or inspectors who signed off on this kind of stuff? Lemon Law or similar idea?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

BULLETKISS posted:

For those of us who have never bought a house, is there some kind of action to take against the previous owner or inspectors who signed off on this kind of stuff? Lemon Law or similar idea?

As far as I know, we'd have to prove that the previous owner was aware of the issue and failed to disclose it. So unless we find some post from Joe Blow who we bought the place from asking how to fix the issue, not really. It's up to your home inspector to notice those defects when you buy, and their liability is pretty limited too unless you provided them with a detailed checklist of everything you wanted examined. Or if it's a glaring issue like a collapsing wall or hole in the roof that anyone could have found without much effort you can usually make a case.

In new construction you at least have a general contractor you could sue (before they declare bankruptcy and reopen a month later as Carl's Construction, no relation to Bob's Building.)

corgski fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nap Ghost

corgski posted:

There's (what appears to be) a wooden lintel inside the smoke box where there should be a masonry or steel lintel.

I cant quite reach it to see if it's just concrete that was cast in a wooden form and picked up the grain pattern, but reinforced concrete would be somewhat anachronistic for 1920, I'd expect to find a piece of stone there.

E: never mind I just jammed a wrecking bar up there to poke it and it is decidedly wood, this house is a death trap.

So I take it that you're going to get a professional to do a video examination of chimney (inside) and visual (outside) to see if there are any other issues?