Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Biden would never start a war, that's crazy talk. Just a "limited engagement" or a "policing action" to protect "human rights" and "democratic rule". Maybe send over some "military advisers". And of course there will be plenty of help from the corporate sector to help the country "rebuild".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Fister Roboto posted:

Remember, we have to vote for this guy if we want to restore stability to the world*.

*first world countries only

/edit: you know what, nevermind.

Whatever it takes to rationalize that four more years of Trump are what it takes before the brakes need to be pulled, I guess.
:shrug:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1275808827326201856?s=21

George W Bush is now a retroactive law-respecter in the liberal mind.

brains
May 12, 2004

Best Friends posted:

to be fair, the modus operandi of the GOP and all neo-cons has always been to just shop around till they find a lawyer who's willing to make some contorted legal justification for their actions.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Best Friends posted:

Can't wait to hear liberals say the exact same thing about Trump in 10-20 years.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I’m sure if Trump wins we will still be around in 2024. It’s not like things haven’t gotten exponentially worse for the country since 2016.

Trump winning in 2020 won’t embolden him and make him act more megalomaniacal probably. I’m sure he will calm down and get things on the right path and he won’t destroy the country. It definitely won’t make his ego explode, and that definitely won’t result in him thinking he’s king and can do whatever he wants. Nah, he will be rational.

Vote third party. You need the moral high ground. And plus, we’ve shown that Trump is harmless and there’s nothing to worry about with protest voting.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

*votes third party*
*trump wins, and continues plummeting us downward*

WHY WONT THEY IMPEACH HIM??? SOMEONE STOP HIM!!!!!

but at least I got my moral high ground, baybeeeee

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Woofer posted:

*votes third party*

gently caress off with this poo poo. Because the Dems have done what exactly to stop him? Strongly worded letters?

My vote is who I vote for. Just because you practice moral cowardice doesn't mean the rest of us do. Vote for who you Vote for- but unless my vote is for Trump, it's for whoever it was cast for.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

bulletsponge13 posted:

gently caress off with this poo poo. Because the Dems have done what exactly to stop him? Strongly worded letters?

My vote is who I vote for. Just because you practice moral cowardice doesn't mean the rest of us do. Vote for who you Vote for- but unless my vote is for Trump, it's for whoever it was cast for.

And the dems aren’t going to stop him so we, the voters, should obviously keep him there with no one to stop him.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Woofer posted:

And the dems aren’t going to stop him so we, the voters, should obviously keep him there with no one to stop him.

No, but we as the voters don't have to elect people that will allow the GOP to continue, you shithead.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Specifically, how do third party votes accomplish that in 2020?

Woofer fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 27, 2020

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm not voting to keep playing decorum. You do you- but don't act like voting Biden is going to change gently caress all.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Ok but

Woofer posted:

Specifically, how do third party votes accomplish that in 2020?

Re:

bulletsponge13 posted:

No, but we as the voters don't have to elect people that will allow the GOP to continue, you shithead.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Woofer posted:

*votes third party*

You aren't going to get anybody's vote by being a prick towards them.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

PeterCat posted:

You aren't going to get anybody's vote by being a prick towards them.

*looks at trump gassing people for a photo op*

Decorum, please.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Woofer posted:

Ok but

Re:

My goals are immaterial to a dickbag like you who isn't here for a good faith discussion but yo beat people over the head with party line and the bullshit false dichotomy of " a third party vote is a vote for Trump"

Eat a bag of poop and get hepatitis.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Woofer posted:

*looks at trump gassing people for a photo op*

Decorum, please.

Just keep calling people racist. I'm sure that will get them to vote for your guy.

Besides Biden is leading Trump and every pull so why are you so belligerent about the whole thing?

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 27, 2020

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

bulletsponge13 posted:

My goals are immaterial to a dickbag like you who isn't here for a good faith discussion but yo beat people over the head with party line and the bullshit false dichotomy of " a third party vote is a vote for Trump"

Eat a bag of poop and get hepatitis.

If trump wins we will all eat a bag of poop and get hepatitis. If that isn’t a legitimate question and an attempt to shift it back to a good faith discussion (twice in two consecutive posts, neither of which was inflammatory) then I don’t know what is.

You made the point about the GOP and I asked you to defend it. I wasn’t an rear end when I did it, but you’re being an rear end now about answering the question, which is all the answer I need.

It’s more “I can’t answer your legitimate question so I’m going to call this a bad faith debate and cower away”

PeterCat posted:

Just keep calling people racist. I'm sure that will get them to vote for your guy.

Besides Biden is leading Trump and every pull so why are you so belligerent about the whole thing?

I don’t know why I don’t put my full faith in polling data. Good point.

Woofer fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 27, 2020

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Woofer posted:

If trump wins we will all eat a bag of poop and get hepatitis. If that isn’t a legitimate question and an attempt to shift it back to a good faith discussion (twice in two consecutive posts, neither of which was inflammatory) then I don’t know what is.

You made the point about the GOP and I asked you to defend it. I wasn’t an rear end when I did it, but you’re being an rear end now about answering the question, which is all the answer I need.

It’s more “I can’t answer your legitimate question so I’m going to call this a bad faith debate and cower away”

I don’t know why I don’t put my full faith in polling data. Good point.

No, it's that I don't owe you gently caress all of a response, and you are acting like a worthless piece of poo poo.

E- if I was alone in reading your tone and attitude, maybe I wouldn't be so insulting. But you came in acting like an rear end in a top hat because I won't swear fealty to Diet Trump. gently caress off- when Trump wins, it's your attitude of brow beating and attempting to enforce this Blue No Matter Who that acted as a form of voter suppression. Congrats on helping the GOP.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 27, 2020

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

bulletsponge13 posted:

No, it's that I don't owe you gently caress all of a response, and you are acting like a worthless piece of poo poo.

E- if I was alone in reading your tone and attitude, maybe I wouldn't be so insulting. But you came in acting like an rear end in a top hat because I won't swear fealty to Diet Trump. gently caress off- when Trump wins, it's your attitude of brow beating and attempting to enforce this Blue No Matter Who that acted as a form of voter suppression. Congrats on helping the GOP.

Lmao “I’m not gonna answer you’re valid question but instead I KnoW u aRe bUT wHaT aM i”

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Woofer posted:

Lmao “I’m not gonna answer you’re valid question but instead I KnoW u aRe bUT wHaT aM i”

👌

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The only reason Trump is as dangerous as he is is because the Democrats have done absolutely loving nothing to stop him. It's time to stop pretending like they're the good guys. None of them actually give a poo poo if Trump is reelected. Hell, it's even better for them. It just gives the perfect excuse for not fixing anything. In this election and every single one in the future, they're going to use Trumpism as a threat - either you vote for us or the Trumpists get power back. Now they don't have to promise anything to the American people.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^Literally nobody is calling the Democrats good guys, and it's beyond disingenuous that you keep saying that. Stop the bleeding at the highest levels, move the party via downticket races until it gets where it needs to be. No, this won't be solved in 2020. But it's an actual path rather than pissing away a vote (dependent upon your state) on a third party candidate who probably isnt even on the ballot in all states.

bulletsponge13 posted:

It's weird seeing people use my arguments from 2014-16. FYI, it wasn't a popular position then, either.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 27, 2020

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Yeah, I'm sorry, I'm solidly with Cole's point on this one.

Not with his delivery, because I've still not quite descended to exasperated sarcasm-posting just yet, but with the core of his point. To narrow it down, saying "allowing Trump to be re-elected this year will cause irreparable damage to your democracy" isn't quite accurate, because absolutely stupid amounts of damage have already been caused by letting it happen in 2016. Four more years of Trump is not going to somehow show establishment democrats "the error of their ways" or "punish them" so some magical rebuilding and reshaping of the party to reflect more social-democrat stances by 2024.

It is going to loving end you.

And take the rest of the world along with you.

The "why" has been pointed out a million times, and the response - in my perception - has always been to take a couple of points of Biden being bad on issues that Republicans and Trump have also been bad, and to use that to establish an equivalence, saying Biden is "as bad as" or "actually worse" than Trump (:psyduck:), while ignoring everything else that has transpired over the last four years.

An additional aspect of extremely loving bad faith posting is saying that people advocating for keeping the worst loving thing in the history of US leadership to get an extra four years are just "demanding that you vote for their guy" like they have always been staunch supporters of Biden and are happy to excuse everything that's bad about him, or pretending that someone saying that to vote is a civic duty claims that it's "a civic duty to vote for Biden".

America hosed up in 2016 to an extent that can barely be described in words, and is not "immeasurable", but extremely measurable.

Choosing not to depose Trump - under your system - means to allow him a second term. I'm sorry that is the case. It shouldn't be, it's loving awful, and I've commented extensively on that matter.
But if you feel like it's important for you to point out why it's important to yield a second term to Trump, you should be obligated to revisit every single week of every single month of every single of the last four years and measure the damage Trump has already done against the alternative.

/ninjaedit:

Fister Roboto posted:

The only reason Trump is as dangerous as he is is because the Democrats have done absolutely loving nothing to stop him.

Holy jesus. :ohno:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 27, 2020

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

That's... completely accurate. All Federal funding authorization runs through Nancy Pelosi. If democratic leaders actually thought Trump was outside the bounds of acceptable behavior, they have several levers to ground the government to a halt. You may remember these levers from when republicans threatened or did pull them several times under Obama.

If your position is that Trump is a dictator and only democrats can stop him, you have to reckon with the fact that democratic leaders themselves sharply disagree with that.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1276229363378409473?s=21

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm certainly not defending Pelosi's "leadership" or "spine" but Trump is fatally dangerous without even touching the House, through executive and judicial appointments, as well as foreign relations. He's done decades of damage in ways Pelosi couldn't block if she wanted to.

Four more years probably gets him another seat on the Supreme Court, maybe two. Imagine living in a world where four justices are Trump appointees.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It would be really loving cool if you could stop acting like you have a full understanding of our political situation. You do not. The reality is that the Democratic party is 100% complicit with the rise of fascism in America. And you're yelling at us to vote for them for your own personal comfort.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I don't think 7 Federalist society Supremes looks much different from 5 Federalist society Supremes. Non zero but not huge. Until the court gets packed or snipped in power, there will be an R veto on anything liberal coming out of elected institutions.

Yes Biden would be better than Trump, but we're just oscillating between do nothing dems and an active and effective reactionary right. Casting this as democracy versus dictatorship is framing the democrats themselves disagree with.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Fister Roboto posted:

It would be really loving cool if you could stop acting like you have a full understanding of our political situation. You do not. The reality is that the Social Democratic party is 100% complicit with the rise of fascism in Germany. And you're yelling at us to vote for them for your own personal comfort.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I mean, that was kind of true though. The middle class as a whole, is pressed, prefers fascism to communism is one of the big lessons of social political history of the 20th century no?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

It would be really loving cool if you could stop acting like you have a full understanding of our political situation. You do not. The reality is that the Democratic party is 100% complicit with the rise of fascism in America. And you're yelling at us to vote for them for your own personal comfort.

Imagine telling the German to get out of a discussion about the rise of fascism.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I like you, and I like the overwhelming majority of the posters in this dumb subforum of ours, which is why I haven't resorted to no-holds-barred sarcasm-posting at this point.
I'm not going to ask you to believe that I can empathize with your current lovely political scenario, because it doesn't matter whether I can empathize with it or not.

I have been closely following US politics since 2000, and my involvement with US politics hasn't spooled down since then. I have a sufficient understanding of it to judge the situation the USA are currently in. More than sufficient.
Your contention that I need ONE HUNDRED PERCENT understanding of it to form an opinion on it, or excuse myself from the conversation is disingenuous, even if you don't mean it.

The fact that you're ignoring the very key point I've made in my previous post, namely that I never asked anyone to vote FOR something, but against the worst possible outcome for your country and the rest of the world, reinforces the point I tried to make.
If you can't grasp that I'm not part of some group that is opposing you, that's fine, I understand that. You're emotionally invested in this, as am I.

But here's an example of how I could casually dismantle your last post: "A considerable amount of irreparable damage Trump has caused in the last four years has been caused by screaming xenophobic, fascist, and neo-Nazi apologist discourse into TV-cameras and the Twitter void, causing not just his staff and cabinet to fall in line, but also elected officials of the GOP in support of whatever he said that just destabilized not just your country, but the relationship of your country with its allies. There was literally not a single thing, let alone a constitutional safeguard the Democratic party could have employed to prevent him from doing that."

There. Your contention that "The only reason Trump is as dangerous as he is is because the Democrats have done absolutely loving nothing to stop him." is reduced to complete rubble.

And guess what? It doesn't loving matter. And rightfully, it shouldn't loving matter in this argument, because the very first thing I asked you to consider wasn't to take a single issue and measure the pros and cons of the coming election with it.
I asked you to consider the last four years of absolute vile evil that has been imposed on the world because a whole bunch of people stayed home and couldn't vote against vile loving fascist evil in 2016.

I'm not "yelling at you" for my personal comfort. Stop gaslighting.

Do not presume that I don't have enough of "an understanding" to take part in this discussion because you have no other arguments left.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you folks actually believe what you're saying and aren't just using the comparison to win an argument, then I really hope you're doing a shitload more to stop Trump than just voting and yelling at people on the internet.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

In four years we're going to be having this exact same loving argument, except both candidates will be further to the right. Can't wait to see what bullshit people come up with to defend Mitt Romney (D).

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Yeah beaten to the punch but I mean this sincerely: if you are this passionate about making Biden president, there are numerous ways to get involved and I hope you are doing them. Start at his website and see what you can do from there. I'm not sure of your citizen status but I'm pretty sure non-citizens still have a range of volunteer options available as well.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I want Biden to win, and remain hopeful we can get more progressives in down ticket, but I'm not convinced we aren't just shambling forward as a nation before a face plant near future. Minus major systemic change we can't keep this up and one party is vehemently opposed to that and the other party is...also vehemently opposed to it. From an objective stand point it looks pretty bad near to mid-future

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

If you folks actually believe what you're saying and aren't just using the comparison to win an argument, then I really hope you're doing a shitload more to stop Trump than just voting and yelling at people on the internet.

I have continuously rendered you with the respect and consideration of responding to your arguments in earnest, because I actually care about your opinion and the opinion of those that are as politically frustrated as you are, when shitposting to dunk on singular things without concern has been readily available to me as an option.
I have done this because I have been massively emotionally invested in US politics despite not being in a position to influence them.

I have spent the majority of my adulthood opposing fascism in any way I can after truly realizing how horrid its consequences are starting around my late teenage years.
I have been on the business end of lawsuits from fascists I have physically assaulted.
I have been hospitalized after losing fights against fascists I opposed.
I have voted against fascists since the very loving day my country furnished me with the right to vote.

I've said before that I genuinely empathize with the lovely situation you're currently in as a voter in the US.

So if you can't muster up the descency to actually respond to the arguments I'm making, I genuinely understand, at the very least on an emotional level.

But don't you loving dare tell me I'm not doing anything to combat fascism just to make yourself feel superior.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm not responding to your arguments because I'm not here to make effort posts. I just want to blow off steam about our broken as gently caress political system, and I'm sick of constantly being told "OH YEAH BUT TRMP" every time I criticize the supposed opposition party.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not responding to your arguments because I'm not here to make effort posts. I just want to blow off steam about our broken as gently caress political system, and I'm sick of constantly being told "OH YEAH BUT TRMP" every time I criticize the supposed opposition party.

There are like five different emotional responses I would like to make in response to my genuine attempt to engage in discussion being discarded casually, but to be perfectly honest, I'm just supremely disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nobody owes you a discussion bro. Biden loving sucks, and you're never going to convince me otherwise. Even if you did, it would mean exactly one (1) vote in a state that is almost certainly going blue. So why even bother?