Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the democrats would vote yes on the enabling act if they felt threatened by the DSA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

as someone who did a big effortpost about the hopeless nihilism i feel about the 2020 election, i have personally flipped to 'well all else aside biden is our best chance to not literally die of the plague'

news of actual progressives making a lot of electoral progress (heh) has also salved me somewhat because maybe that leftward momentum will continue and we'll avoid some kind of megaGOP god emperor in 2024

still absolutely certain we're looking at a megaGOP god emperor in 2024 though

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local/st-louis-mayor-lyda-krewson-reads-names-protesters/63-912b9c6a-8bbf-4d7a-b015-fbb1a6b48db3

democrats will loving personally read off the names and addresses of anyone progressive to try and get them killed

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Fister Roboto posted:

Nobody owes you a discussion bro. Biden loving sucks, and you're never going to convince me otherwise. Even if you did, it would mean exactly one (1) vote in a state that is almost certainly going blue. So why even bother?

Because I care about the opinions of the people I still interact with in this hellscape of ours, at least the ones in which I still place some hope, like the people in here.

What's really disappointing is what you tried to paint me as.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
In the event that Biden does win I have zero confidence the DNC won't see this as "last four is aberration, everything is fine, the GOP has come to their senses now let's get these progressives out of here". If he loses, they will also wage war on progressives under the guise of this loss is their fault. We're pretty much hosed either way it's just a matter of time table on the burn.

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 27, 2020

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PookBear posted:

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local/st-louis-mayor-lyda-krewson-reads-names-protesters/63-912b9c6a-8bbf-4d7a-b015-fbb1a6b48db3

democrats will loving personally read off the names and addresses of anyone progressive to try and get them killed

Haha jfc I saw this story and assumed she was a Republican. See, even I'm not cynical enough to predict what depths the Dems will sink to.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fister Roboto posted:

Nobody owes you a discussion bro.

You're in a discussion thread, so if you don't want to discuss the topic...

quote:

Biden loving sucks, and you're never going to convince me otherwise.

For the 94th time, literally nobody is trying to convince you of that. Nobody. This straw man has been beaten so loving hard he's dust.

quote:

Even if you did, it would mean exactly one (1) vote in a state that is almost certainly going blue. So why even bother?
That's what I thought in '16 (except I expected my state to be red) and it was a lot closer than I expected.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Fister Roboto posted:

Nobody owes you a discussion bro. Biden loving sucks, and you're never going to convince me otherwise. Even if you did, it would mean exactly one (1) vote in a state that is almost certainly going blue. So why even bother?

This is a really lovely response, especially after you tried to shut him down by saying he didn't know anything about American politics. There's absolutely no need to be a dismissive rear end in a top hat, especially to someone who probably wants at least 90% of what you do, if not more.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
"Be excellent to each other" is in the rules and I'm going to start enforcing it more strictly from here on out.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

PeterCat posted:

You aren't going to get anybody's vote by being a prick towards them.

I will say that I completely agree with this. I've probably posted it in this thread before, but my personal believe is that spite is one of the single most powerful human emotions, and trying to force or shame somebody into voting the way you want them to can backfire horribly. Fighting and being lovely to people you otherwise agree with just makes everyone feel miserable, and wastes energy that could be better spent literally anywhere else.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I will say that I completely agree with this. I've probably posted it in this thread before, but my personal believe is that spite is one of the single most powerful human emotions, and trying to force or shame somebody into voting the way you want them to can backfire horribly. Fighting and being lovely to people you otherwise agree with just makes everyone feel miserable, and wastes energy that could be better spent literally anywhere else.

I've been calling it voter suppression, because the attitude of some is absolutely going to drive spite votes.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

also because I feel the need to say this every few pages, I'm going to vote for biden because I think its a necessary short term solution, but I'm terrified its just kicking the problems that trump has brought to the surface down the road

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This is a really lovely response, especially after you tried to shut him down by saying he didn't know anything about American politics. There's absolutely no need to be a dismissive rear end in a top hat, especially to someone who probably wants at least 90% of what you do, if not more.

I'm being dismissive because the conversation literally started with this:

It's almost as if folks are alternating between wanting a serious debate and just shitposting single emoji replies when it suits them.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm being dismissive because the conversation literally started with this:

It's almost as if folks are alternating between wanting a serious debate and just shitposting single emoji replies when it suits them.

So you're going to pretend the entire conversation that you chose to partake in while not adressing any of my arguments never happened...?

And your excuse is that the conversation started with an emoji reacting to an argument, the entire substance of which fell apart with a single response I made?

And you're going to ignore every single attempt I made to be civil and genuine in my discourse towards you while being painted as someone not willing to combat fascism outside the internet?

This is your argument to dismiss everything you said retroactively, because there wasn't a valid reason to engage ex ante?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Donald John Trump has been the least destructive President this millennium for people outside of the United States, and Joe Biden would be a downgrade w/r/t the wellbeing of humans abroad. Namaste.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Donald John Trump has been the least destructive President this millennium for people outside of the United States, and Joe Biden would be a downgrade w/r/t the wellbeing of humans abroad. Namaste.

He's dramatically increased the rate of dronings and almost started a war with Iran. I'd put him as more warry than Obama.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

As someone outside of the US. Haha, no. His climate change denial alone is enough to discredit this line of thought.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I give it less than ten years before we're bartering rifle cartridges for dog meat on the side of freeways blocked by burned out cars. The supporters of the political right are amped up to make our own syrian civil war right here. The violence might start with government action under a re-elected Trump regime, or it might be carried out by local fascist paramilitaries after Biden's election, but the groundwork is laid and we can't get back. Your vote doesn't matter.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

US Berder Patrol posted:

I give it less than ten years before we're bartering rifle cartridges for dog meat on the side of freeways blocked by burned out cars.

A lot of people agree with you, based on ammo prices. :(

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Trump allows hits to be put on American troops by Russia and not only doesn’t do poo poo about it, but doesn’t even bring it up for the months he knows about it.

This seems like a good year to protest vote, increasing his chances of staying in office.

So that I can keep my morals.

And Russia can keep putting bounties on our troops with the president being complicit.

Woofer fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 29, 2020

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Best Friends posted:

Yeah beaten to the punch but I mean this sincerely: if you are this passionate about making Biden president, there are numerous ways to get involved and I hope you are doing them. Start at his website and see what you can do from there. I'm not sure of your citizen status but I'm pretty sure non-citizens still have a range of volunteer options available as well.

Nobody is passionate about making Biden president.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Unfortunately, in a presidential election, not all votes are created equal. I, as a DC resident, have a vote that means way less than someone who lives in Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin or Florida. DC went like 24:1 for Hillary over Trump in 2016, and it’s extremely likely to do the same for Biden. Considering how DC has no effective federal representation, that our primary occurred long after Sanders and Warren and everyone else drop out and knowing that Biden is all but certain to get DC’s two electoral college votes, how else do I register my discontent with the DNC’s direction than by writing in another candidate or leaving president blank?

I have this privilege/curse because of where I live, but at the same time, if I lived in a swing state, I’d certainly be holding my nose and voting for Biden and then spending every day after Election Day to undermine the DNC and get actual progressive candidates. I so do wish Biden had sat down and rested on a long career instead of sucking all the oxygen out of the primaries.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Woofer posted:

Nobody is passionate about making Biden president.

Duzzy is all but saying Trump is literally Hitler so I'm offering advice on how to get active above and beyond getting mad at people who are probably going to vote for Biden anyway on a dying forum.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PookBear posted:

also because I feel the need to say this every few pages, I'm going to vote for biden because I think its a necessary short term solution, but I'm terrified its just kicking the problems that trump has brought to the surface down the road

It absolutely is.

Voting in Biden now shifts the whole window even further right, and basically guarantees the idea of progressives under the Dem banner is dead for another generation because they can always use the GOP as an excuse for why the centrist needs to be given the votes.

There is no depth the DNC won't go to in order to resist progressive candidates. Mitch McConnell is getting another six years because they'd rather engage in voter suppression than have Booker win the primary.

That said, of the two accused rapists on the ticket, I hope Biden wins.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 1, 2020

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1278368530203844618?s=21

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1279140315526500355

Way too many people actually believe this. A whole lot of comfortable liberals are going to pretend like all our problems are magically solved just because the orange man isn't in charge anymore. That's why I'm worried about Biden.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
turning the clock back to Nov 7, 2016 and pretending the last 4 years and all of the lead up to it didn't happen is the entire goal of the Democrat Party

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

why do this

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Kanye 2020.
If we are going to elect mental illness, let's make it the fun choice.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Yeah, voting for a conservative in a country badly in need of reform is still better than voting for a literal fascist, but only by the fact that Biden is not Trump.

I'm gonna call it now: Biden is going to come into power with a majority in the House and the Senate(eh, maybe not veto-proof or filibuster proof but still more than enough) , and then use that incredibly strong two year position to do nothing of any substantial benefit to the average American, probably a number of things that are demonstrably not a benefit for the average American like more corporate tax cuts or bailouts. Americans will then go and vote Republican, because if Republicans ate my face once, than surely eating my face a second time is just as good.

That said, I don't think Donald Trump himself will survive the interregnum. Republicans are already itching to get this relentless and uncontrollable turd off their shoe, so being able to safely dump him will allow them to pick one of his acolytes like Trump Jr. or someone of that same caliber, to run for office. Maybe Trump will run as a third party candidate, maybe someone will finally get him committed to a mental institute, but either way, I just don't envisage a scenario in which Trump getting kicked out of office allows him to maintain his grip on the Republican party. Not after the unholy shitcanning that his party maybe will endure at the polls in November.

If the Democrats weren't a party wholely owned by corporate interest, this could be the start of a decade plus of ruling the country, but because the Democrats are so paralyzed by corporate money, this will instead turn into sitting President Biden comparing his milquetoast record in office to the screetching, outright n-bomb dropping rhetoric of Trump Jr/someone like him and the average American sagely nodding and going "Maybe if I shake my head harder while voting R, it'll change something". Biden barely squeeks out a win in 2024, with strong Republican majorities in the House and majority but not veto-proof majority in the Senate, followed by four years of bitter partisan fights that barely maintain the facade of functional government, followed by the Trump Jr. (or someone like him) getting the nod for the Oval Office in 2024.

Meanwhile, the average Americans continues to get poorer, less healthy, and more liberal by the day(ok, probably not that part), leading to the ever increasing divide between the average liberal and the party that supposedly represents him. 2024-the final dissolution of the country, Republican rule.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm still betting on Biden's strategy of trying to attract right-centrists and never-trumpers completely backfiring, resulting in him winning but the Republicans taking back the House and keeping the Senate. Lots of those "moderates" are going to vote down ballot R because they want to keep Biden in check.

And that would be an extremely lovely outcome for everyone, because then the Dems would have the perfect excuse for not getting anything done.

Current polls probably don't support this, but on the other hand 2020.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 6, 2020

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

A White Guy posted:

to pick one of his acolytes like Trump Jr. or someone of that same caliber, to run for office

Jared/Ivanka 2024: with a proven track record as America's shadow president, how can you vote for him?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm still betting on Biden's strategy of trying to attract right-centrists and never-trumpers completely backfiring, resulting in him winning but the Republicans taking back the House and keeping the Senate. Lots of those "moderates" are going to vote down ballot R because they want to keep Biden in check.

And that would be an extremely lovely outcome for everyone, because then the Dems would have the perfect excuse for not getting anything done.

Current polls probably don't support this, but on the other hand 2020.

The main problem the Republicans face is that while there are plenty of insane Americans who love divided government, the Republicans have tied themselves so closely to Trump that few incumbents will be able to convincingly run as a "moderate check on Biden." Susan Collins is probably the biggest example of this—in a normal year she'd cruise to reelection easily, but now her votes not to impeach Trump and to confirm Kavanaugh are massive millstones around her neck.

What will happen in 2022 is obviously far more up in the air, but it is worth noting that it is not a friendly Senate map for Republicans—they're defending 20 seats to the Dem's 12, and the Republicans are defending seats in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Florida, and North Carolina (i.e. Richard "profited off COVID briefings" Burr), while the only real pickup opportunities are in... Nevada? Maybe Colorado? So while losing the Senate is possible, depending on how many seats the Dems can pick up this year, it's not likely.

As to the House... well, like the Senate, depends on how much the Dems can run up the score. It's very likely the Dems will be lose seats, but if they can get a large enough incumbent advantage, they may very well be able to withstand a Republican backlash—especially if they can pass any widespread anti-voter suppression and anti-gerrymandering measures.

brains
May 12, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

especially if they can pass any widespread anti-voter suppression and anti-gerrymandering measures.
in a 5-4 decision...

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

brains posted:

in a 5-4 decision...

The supreme court ruled today that jokes about the size of Donald Trump's cock are not considered protected speech.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

Kanye 2020.
If we are going to elect mental illness, let's make it the fun choice.

Look, I disagree with Kanye on all kinds of things. He's not who I wanted. But the mathematical fact is, if you aren't voting for Kanye, you're effectively voting for Trump.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Best Friends posted:

Look, I disagree with Kanye on all kinds of things. He's not who I wanted. But the mathematical fact is, if you aren't voting for Kanye, you're effectively voting for Trump.

:love: :hfive:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Best Friends posted:

If Kanye had the (D) nomination I'd agree.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Best Friends posted:

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Godholio posted:

If Kanye had the (D) nomination I'd agree.

He doesn't need the nomination. It's still just as true as when said any other time.

Trust me, it sounds just as loving dumb as when it's said about Biden.