Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

this avatar is brought to you by the campaign to pay lowtax's medical bills since 1999
Keep the lights on in this dead gay forum

Hair Elf

I won't be getting any trumpbux because I make too much

No CETME-L for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I just had an epiphany: the internet is useless!

Ultra Carp

Parts Kit posted:

Fuk it, CETME-L ordered

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

I知 getting myself a Turnbull finished Ruger before long.

I知 trying to decide if I want to add a gaudy Chiappa Rhino to the purchase.

Gold or rainbow?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Captain Log posted:

I知 getting myself a Turnbull finished Ruger before long.

I知 trying to decide if I want to add a gaudy Chiappa Rhino to the purchase.

Gold or rainbow?
One of each, for each hand.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Captain Log posted:

I’m getting myself a Turnbull finished Ruger before long.

I’m trying to decide if I want to add a gaudy Chiappa Rhino to the purchase.

Gold or rainbow?

definitely the "nebula"

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Vim Fuego posted:

definitely the "nebula"

But if you follow the rest of the threads, you'll know I do have a thing for gold...

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

https://czcustom.com/new-firearms/c.../a01-sd-or.html

I'll thank my wife's check for its service

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Just did my taxes. Somehow got a $2k refund and I still qualified for the Trumpbux.

Guess I'll buy a few cans or something.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

OK... I got the itch. And no, I don't want an AR. Yes, I know it's superior to ever other gun ever, and I don't want to fight about it. They just don't do it for me because, I don't know, I'm wrong on the inside.

But anyway... someone in another thread said cowboy gun. And while I might be able to use a smaller carry gun, truth of the matter is, my 9c works just fine, and I can grab my wife's Shield if I need something thinner. So kicking it around in my head, in order from "meh, kinda would like it" to "man, that'd be cool to have," here's where I'm at.

1. Pocket carry. Lightweight revolver, or a pocket 22 like the LCP II LR, something like that.
  2. Single Action Army style revolver of some kind. I'm happy with my Wrangler for a 22, but it'd be fun to have either a 45 LC or a 357 Mag (or just 38 Spl), since I already shoot and load for that.
  3. Lever action rifle

With the exception of #1, I'm not looking for a utility gun. Just a fun gun. I've seen some 357 lever action rifles out there that honestly look like a hoot to shoot, but I'd like to spend less than one kilotrumpbuck on it. Are there any budget-friendly options that don't totally suck for 357 lever rifles? And how well do these handle 38 special?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

tarlibone posted:

With the exception of #1, I'm not looking for a utility gun. Just a fun gun. I've seen some 357 lever action rifles out there that honestly look like a hoot to shoot, but I'd like to spend less than one kilotrumpbuck on it. Are there any budget-friendly options that don't totally suck for 357 lever rifles? And how well do these handle 38 special?

Your cheapest option will be Rossi. You should be able to find a Rossi M92 (Winchester clone) for around $450-500 shipped. They don't have as nice of fit and finish, and might need a little tweaking to get the action operating more smoothly, but there are lots of resources online for that.

Next step up would probably be a Marlin 1894, if you don't need whiz bang features or get a good deal on a used one, you'd probably be looking at $600-700? Maybe a bit more? I think I paid $1K for mine which is a JM (pre-Freedom Group, more desirable) and it also had an action job done to it. I paid on the high end, but I was helping out a friend and also really wanted it. This was also a few years ago when the supply of 357 levers was kind of dried up and used prices were a little higher.

Mine handles 38 special just fine as long as the OAL is on the normal end. I wouldn't try to feed wadcutters for example.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

AR- thread mentions there being decent ARs to be had for sub 500 dollars. Still true? And if not, what might it cost to put together an A2 retro-style one on a reasonable budget? What kind of tools would I need?

Kind of tempted to start putting one together at some point. Want a decent semi-auto rifle for when I get back into actually shooting again.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I'm also seeing Henry's in the $700-$800 range. Can get your octagonal barrel fix with that.

Otherwise for your #2 option someone linked a really impressive SAA in .45LC a few posts prior for just over $500.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

AR- thread mentions there being decent ARs to be had for sub 500 dollars. Still true? And if not, what might it cost to put together an A2 retro-style one on a reasonable budget? What kind of tools would I need?

Kind of tempted to start putting one together at some point. Want a decent semi-auto rifle for when I get back into actually shooting again.

How retro are we talking? Pick a decade.

Someone linked in the deals thread a Bushmaster with fixed A2 sights and a carry handle for $499 is that what you're looking for?

Action-Bastard fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 10, 2020

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Action-Bastard posted:

I'm also seeing Henry's in the $700-$800 range. Can get your octagonal barrel fix with that.

Good point I always forget about those because I prefer having a loading gate. I am gonna have to check out their new model.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Action-Bastard posted:

Otherwise for your #2 option someone linked a really impressive SAA in .45LC a few posts prior for just over $500.

How retro are we talking? Pick a decade.

Someone linked in the deals thread a Bushmaster with fixed A2 sights and a carry handle for $499 is that what you're looking for?

We have a deals thread? gently caress.

If I get an AR, I'd like to get something that looks like a Nam era A1 or an old style A2. I just like the aesthetic of the older ones. Is there any reason not to go that route over a different style aside from flat top ARs being easier to change sights/mount optics?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

Doing a good-enough A1 build is way easier since companies like Brownells got on the retro train. No reason not to as long as you understand the platform's limitations.

Here's a knowledgeable dude assembling an A1 replica from parts. You can do it without some of the special tools he uses, but this will show you how everything goes together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad3Luhr5J9o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XJpDmUDx60
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdfLjAG_XIA

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I've been looking at the Rossi and Henry for low-end, but functional, lever guns in 357.

But... is the Ruger American decent? Like, if I wanted to get into rifles (I already have a 10-22)? It seems to be available in a poo poo-tonne of calibers, including 223 (but not 556, for some reason), and I think the 223 version takes the nearly universally available AR-style magazines. But if I find myself a nice outdoor range, is this a good rifle to fart around with? I'm only thinking 223 because that ammo is generally pretty available, and once this blows over (assuming I survive), it doesn't seem like a terrible caliber. And, if I'm going to reload a new round, I could probably do worse than 223.

I'm not planning on hunting. Just having a rifle I can shoot. And before you ask why I'm not thinking AR-15 if I'm thinking 223, honestly, I just dig the style and look of old-school, grandpa rifles. That day I shot a ton of rifles a few months back, my favorite was an old Mauser (chambered in 7.92 somethingorother). I like the look, the feel, the heft, the character, etc. of those old guns.

Edit: Oh, the Ranch is offered in 556. Neat.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 11, 2020

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

tarlibone posted:

I've been looking at the Rossi and Henry for low-end, but functional, lever guns in 357.

But... is the Ruger American decent? Like, if I wanted to get into rifles (I already have a 10-22)? It seems to be available in a poo poo-tonne of calibers, including 223 (but not 556, for some reason), and I think the 223 version takes the nearly universally available AR-style magazines. But if I find myself a nice outdoor range, is this a good rifle to fart around with? I'm only thinking 223 because that ammo is generally pretty available, and once this blows over (assuming I survive), it doesn't seem like a terrible caliber. And, if I'm going to reload a new round, I could probably do worse than 223.

I'm not planning on hunting. Just having a rifle I can shoot. And before you ask why I'm not thinking AR-15 if I'm thinking 223, honestly, I just dig the style and look of old-school, grandpa rifles. That day I shot a ton of rifles a few months back, my favorite was an old Mauser (chambered in 7.92 somethingorother). I like the look, the feel, the heft, the character, etc. of those old guns.

I don't know that I'd call the Ruger American a grandpa rifle, aside from the fact that it's a bolt action. You might look into the Ruger Mini-14.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

xpost from deal thread:
I feel like an SBR Beretta ARX100 SBR for $900 is a pretty good deal, and you've gotta love weirdo fish guns...
https://botach.com/beretta-arx100-sbr-w-10-barrel/
With tax and tax stamp you're probably right about $1200.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Nap Ghost

I really need to stay the hell off gun broker, I知 debating between one of these...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/860647904

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/864986752

I already have a 12 gauge with a tube set but the idea of a 4 barrel set that is better weighted is really appealing.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

tarlibone posted:

This might be my gov $$$ purchase.

Boyds has started offering stocks for the ar mag version and it's real tempting.

This, a 1-8X scope, and have a gunsmith fit some skinner peep sights. Managed to spend $1200 on a $450 rifle.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

If I get an AR, I'd like to get something that looks like a Nam era A1 or an old style A2. I just like the aesthetic of the older ones. Is there any reason not to go that route over a different style aside from flat top ARs being easier to change sights/mount optics?

You will pay a premium. I build my first ARs a little over a decade ago and retro was the cheapo option. At the time your budget option was $800 or so for Deltons (had a kit from them, it was actually quite good) and I built one from entirely surplus parts for under $600. Now, actual retro stuff got pricey, but you can get a Brownells gun for for under $1k when they're on sale. I picked up a colt SP1 recently for a hair under $1k after I sold the scope off it, and I like it a lot more than the brownells furniture I owned or the brownells rifles I've shot. If you're not married to any particular configuration I'd look on the arf EE or just run a gunbroker Used Semi Auto Rifles > 556 search. Some of these were under $400 with A1, C7, or A2 handles. You're also buying at the worst time since October of 2016, and you will be dealing with higher prices and reduced availability. If you can wait until panic subsides or the economic shittery gets a lot of people selling stuff off (assuming you're still financially OK) you'll be getting more rifle for your dollar.

Also kinda on that topic, if you see cheap guns and ammo like we've seen over the last few years, go ahead and buy stuff then. Two months ago I could build an acceptable AR for $320 and I'm guessing it'll be awhile till we see that again, if we ever do.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I really want a Savage MK II FV-SR with a sick stock to pair with my .22 can but I don't think I can justify it.

Partially because I can't decide on a stock or optic and I don't want to do the ship-to-FFL coordination dance

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

You can have both.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 11, 2020

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I've been looking really hard at rifles. I shouldn't, but I can't help it. I'd like a gun that would give me a better excuse to head to a rifle range than my 10/22 does. The thing is, the rifles I like in terms of looks and character aren't super-practical for home defense, so should I just give up on that? (I practice with handguns a lot, so that would probably be my home defense choice.)

• Lever-action 357 Magnum. Pros: it's fuckin' cool as hell, old-fashioned and obsolete, shoots ammo that I have and load. Cons: there's a reason the development of the modern rifle didn't stop with lever action. But to be fair, I'm a revolver guy, so it's not like outmoded tech on my guns is a deal-breaker. Also, there are range limitations from what I've heard.
  • Ruger American in 556. Pros: shoots 556 and 223, so it's versitile. Cons: the only model I can find has a 16" barrel, and if I'm getting this mainly as a range toy, is that a good idea?
  • Ruger American in 223. Pros: shoots 223, which is common, usually affordable, and reloadable. Cons: is a bolt action rifle an insane choice for home defense? (This goes for any bolt-action rifle.) Also, I'm seeing a lot of these with threaded barrels. Does that mess up the accuracy?

I've been looking at other models. The Mini-14 looks like an AR that I would like, but it's surprisingly pricey. The Ruger 77s have a lot of chamberings, but they're a little more than I want to spend. My cousin just suggested something in 30-30, which would be kind-of fun, I'm sure.

I just hope I don't slip up and get a single-action revolver. I super-don't need one of those. Even if they are awesome and the Blackhawk Convertible is right in my price range STOP IT.

Is 223 a good rifle caliber to start with? Or 30-30? I know that going 357 will limit me to around 100 - 150 yards, or at least that's what I've been hearing/reading.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

There's also the Ruger Mini-30 if you want something that shoots cheap ammo.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

tarlibone posted:

I've been looking really hard at rifles. I shouldn't, but I can't help it. I'd like a gun that would give me a better excuse to head to a rifle range than my 10/22 does. The thing is, the rifles I like in terms of looks and character aren't super-practical for home defense, so should I just give up on that? (I practice with handguns a lot, so that would probably be my home defense choice.)

• Lever-action 357 Magnum. Pros: it's fuckin' cool as hell, old-fashioned and obsolete, shoots ammo that I have and load. Cons: there's a reason the development of the modern rifle didn't stop with lever action. But to be fair, I'm a revolver guy, so it's not like outmoded tech on my guns is a deal-breaker. Also, there are range limitations from what I've heard.
  • Ruger American in 556. Pros: shoots 556 and 223, so it's versitile. Cons: the only model I can find has a 16" barrel, and if I'm getting this mainly as a range toy, is that a good idea?
  • Ruger American in 223. Pros: shoots 223, which is common, usually affordable, and reloadable. Cons: is a bolt action rifle an insane choice for home defense? (This goes for any bolt-action rifle.) Also, I'm seeing a lot of these with threaded barrels. Does that mess up the accuracy?

I've been looking at other models. The Mini-14 looks like an AR that I would like, but it's surprisingly pricey. The Ruger 77s have a lot of chamberings, but they're a little more than I want to spend. My cousin just suggested something in 30-30, which would be kind-of fun, I'm sure.

I just hope I don't slip up and get a single-action revolver. I super-don't need one of those. Even if they are awesome and the Blackhawk Convertible is right in my price range STOP IT.

Is 223 a good rifle caliber to start with? Or 30-30? I know that going 357 will limit me to around 100 - 150 yards, or at least that's what I've been hearing/reading.

I am told you can do all kinds of cool poo poo reloading your own .30-30, might be up your alley.

.357 levers are lots of fun though

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

There's no reason to force yourself to use home defense as your primary criteria for buying a rifle. Go with the lever action if that's what sounds fun!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Vim Fuego posted:

There's no reason to force yourself to use home defense as your primary criteria for buying a rifle. Go with the lever action if that's what sounds fun!

God, it does sound fun. I mean, so much fun. I really like the fiddly bits of shooting. The extra, inconvenient steps. Probably why I don't care for ARs that much, even though they seriously are fine machines. Having to swing that lever, or work the bolt? I'm smiling right now thinking about it.

And really, my house has rooms separated by walls with old-standard-size doorways. A rifle would probably be a liability in a tactical situation. I am only even thinking about it because of the AR discussion I idiotically involved myself in a couple weeks ago.

Capn Beeb posted:

I am told you can do all kinds of cool poo poo reloading your own .30-30, might be up your alley.

.357 levers are lots of fun though

They look fun. The only think keeping me from just getting one now is the fact that I want a rifle, and I almost feel like I should go all-in and get a rifle-only caliber. (And yes, I know BFR makes a 30-30 revolver. But my wife won't let me even look at those.) I might have to check the used market if I want a 30-30, but there's nothing wrong with 357.

Hmmmmmm. I'll have to kick it around for a while.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

A1 parts kit, minus lower and barrel $350
https://www.royaltigerimports.com/p...p/colt16pkb.htm

the company gets terrible reviews, but hey, vintage!

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 12, 2020

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

DeesGrandpa posted:

You will pay a premium.

Thanks for all that. And yeah, I'm aware it's a poo poo time-- but I've got a relative amount of money to play with for the first time in forever. Likely I'll just wait and not buy anything unless something cheap falls out of the sky. Still, it's good to think about what I might do down the road.

Fifty Three posted:

I really want a Savage MK II FV-SR with a sick stock to pair with my .22 can but I don't think I can justify it.

Partially because I can't decide on a stock or optic and I don't want to do the ship-to-FFL coordination dance

You can have both.

Noice. How much did that run you?

Vim Fuego posted:

A1 parts kit, minus lower and barrel $350
https://www.royaltigerimports.com/p...p/colt16pkb.htm

the company gets terrible reviews, but hey, vintage!

I don't think I've heard anyone say one good thing about that company since I've seen them mentioned. Thanks; but I'll hold off.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Brownells is making retro AR15s if you want something along those lines but don't want to pay Colt premiums.

Still pricey at about $1k-$1.5k though.

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/...ake_3=Brownells

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 12, 2020

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Noice. How much did that run you?
Great question, it's been years. I think the upper including carry handle probably ran me about $600 back in like 2013. At the time it was a bargain bin special from DSA but it's worked amazingly for me. The stock is still rather expensive but it's my favorite AR stock, probably $250ish for that. After the SSA-E trigger it's just the cost of the parts kit and lower.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

My funbux show as pending in my account for the 15th.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

DeesGrandpa posted:

My funbux show as pending in my account for the 15th.

huh. thanks for posting this. mine came in this morning in my savings account rather than checking for whatever reason, while my tax return went into checking like a month ago.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Mine still isn't showing which is fine by me. I had a kid last year so I'm hoping they process mine after my 2019 tax filing, so I don't miss out on the extra $500.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

CETME-L should arrive tomorrow and I should be able to pick it up Wednesday?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I like turtles posted:

xpost from deal thread:
I feel like an SBR Beretta ARX100 SBR for $900 is a pretty good deal, and you've gotta love weirdo fish guns...
https://botach.com/beretta-arx100-sbr-w-10-barrel/
With tax and tax stamp you're probably right about $1200.

oh wow, i had no idea these were fully ambidextrous. my wife shoots lefty. picking up an SBR never crossed my mind, but maybe I'll spend some trumpbux on this!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

quarantine impulse buys started arriving:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I've been toying, ever more seriously, about getting a lever gun with Trumpbucks. And my cousin, part of the contingency that wants to see me join the club, suggested the Henry Goldenboy.

I don't think I'd get it in .17 HMR, but it sure looks like it'd be fun in one of the 22's. Then again, I really do want to reload for it, so I'll probably look harder at 357. Still, though....

(x-post with the 22LR thread)

And... (sigh) that Ruger single action 45 LC/45 ACP also looks like a hoot, but man... ugh, so many decisions....

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

If you want a fun .22, you could look around and see if you can't find a Marlin 39A for a good deal

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/863907539

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

tarlibone posted:

I've been toying, ever more seriously, about getting a lever gun with Trumpbucks. And my cousin, part of the contingency that wants to see me join the club, suggested the Henry Goldenboy.

I don't think I'd get it in .17 HMR, but it sure looks like it'd be fun in one of the 22's. Then again, I really do want to reload for it, so I'll probably look harder at 357. Still, though....

(x-post with the 22LR thread)

And... (sigh) that Ruger single action 45 LC/45 ACP also looks like a hoot, but man... ugh, so many decisions....

Por que no Los dos?

Get a Rossi M92 in .357
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...2.cfm/ID/193169

And this SAA in .45LC
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...2.cfm/ID/191227

And have money leftover depending on S&H and your local transfer fees.

(I know these aren't the manufacturers you wanted just making fun and showing you economy options)

«8 »