Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

I bought a Kindle Paperwhite ( refurb for 50 bucks ), assorted video games, more books to pile onto my reading log, and other stupid poo poo I didn't need.

Then I put the rest in the bank.

Being semi-responsible is boring.

I've also been doing a lot of looking at gun sites and coming up with reasons why I shouldn't buy something but now that I know the local pawn shop does 25 dollar FFLs it's only a matter of time before I buy something loving stupid.

If I had an actual job I would have bought one of the .32 Berettas I've seen floating around lately because they look fun as fuuuuuuuuuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I got the call.

It is here.

For anyone keeping score, it is officially easier to get a big dumb gun than an audio interface for your PC. More expensive, sure. But the Focusrite is still somehow both in stock & ready to ship and backordered at the same time over at Guitar Center.

My new bangbang? It's at the FFL.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Is Guitar Center owned by Optics Planet?

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

If I had an actual job I would have bought one of the .32 Berettas I've seen floating around lately because they look fun as fuuuuuuuuuck

Does anyone have a reason *not* to get one of these?
Because they look fun and $300 po-surp is honestly the only way I'm going to ever justify buying a Beretta.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Forgot the insurance for my truck is due this month, so there goes part of my funbux. Here's what I'm thinking of for the other part:

Since I moved my PA Red Dot to my WASR, I'm thinking I'll give the Burris a try on my AR. The scope rings can go on my CZ 527C and hold the Bushnell 1-4x AK scope I have knocking around.

I need to shop around a bit because I think I can probably get better prices elsewhere.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Akion, midwayusa has the older model Trijicon scopes on clearance, may be worth checking on those.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

TheNothingNew posted:

Because they look fun and $300 po-surp is honestly the only way I'm going to ever justify buying a Beretta.

I assume they're cheetahs? If so get one! I have a 380 with a 32 conversion barrel and the 32 is fun as heck.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Tyro posted:

I assume they're cheetahs? If so get one! I have a 380 with a 32 conversion barrel and the 32 is fun as heck.

Yeah, Beretta 81. Is it just a barrel swap to convert?

Sold on it either way. Someone tell my brick & mortar shop to get back to me faster.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Mine is an 85 (single stack 380) I got an aftermarket threaded 32 barrel and dropped it in. Hasn't been 100% reliable with the 32 ammo, not sure if it's the mags or barrel or ammo or what, but it's more fun to shoot with the 32 barrel. Only got one range trip in before the guns went into storage so wasn't able to further troubleshoot.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Funbux box thread posted.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

TheNothingNew posted:

The only reason I've not bought one aside from not shooting much is because I don't know poo poo about them yet and I kind of assume they aren't going to skyrocket in price any time soon.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I just had an epiphany: the internet is useless!

Ultra Carp

TheNothingNew posted:

They are great. The BB i think has better sights than the non-bb model, but im pretty sure its just white dots. The grip is pretty thick, but if that's an issue allegheny gun works makes grips out of g10 plastic that thin it down, I haven't bothered getting em yet but it'd be nice.

Also, mags are common enough I've idly considered welding two together to make a beretta 93 style extendo mag for it. Maybe it'll be worth it if the social distancing lifts and the range opens up.

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 28, 2020

Fats
Oct 13, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand

Fun Shoe

I didn't qualify for the stimulus, but solitary confinement is rotting my brain and money is a meaningless construct anyway.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Huh. Guess I'm getting money tomorrow. Well poo poo, I hope I don't win my gunbroker bid for that gen 3 Glock 20 slide. May as well buy the whole gun now!

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine

Grimey Drawer

My stimulus gun finally got in! I'll have to do a box thread at some point but have some potato-vision cell phone shots instead.

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 29, 2020

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

gently caress that looks good.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine

Grimey Drawer

Fifty Three posted:

gently caress that looks good.

The less polygons it takes to render a gun or car, the better! Can you tell i'm a child of the 80's?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

If Volvo made revolvers...

... I like it. It's just so eye-catching. I really don't think I've seen anything like it. It's like instead of dragging some hunk out of a crudely drawn comic book la "Take On Me," you reached into a mid-1980s cartoon and ripped the gun out of the hands of a random thug, or a good guy who was going to teach us that guns aren't toys.

How balanced is it? It looks heavy up front. And with those ports, I bet there won't me much flip, even with handfucker loads.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

That gun is loving rad and really hard to find.

My first not 22 to shoot was a stainless/nickel Rossi 38 that shot smooth as hell.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine

Grimey Drawer

tarlibone posted:

If Volvo made revolvers...

... I like it. It's just so eye-catching. I really don't think I've seen anything like it. It's like instead of dragging some hunk out of a crudely drawn comic book la "Take On Me," you reached into a mid-1980s cartoon and ripped the gun out of the hands of a random thug, or a good guy who was going to teach us that guns aren't toys.

How balanced is it? It looks heavy up front. And with those ports, I bet there won't me much flip, even with handfucker loads.

Give me a Volvo 740 Turbo and I would roadtrip the hell out of it after the pandemic is over. Honestly the balance is almost neutral for me but I tend to bite high on my grip. Feels pretty decent although the actual grip material is pretty rigid so it will be interesting to see see how it slaps the palm once I can fire it.

Captain Log posted:

That gun is loving rad and really hard to find.

My first not 22 to shoot was a stainless/nickel Rossi 38 that shot smooth as hell.

Yay for weird, semi-rare guns. This one happens to have a low 2000's serial number and from what I can gather online not too many more than that were produced for the 6" and 8" models. I've got an old Guns and Ammo magazine ordered with a featured article on it supposedly so i'm hoping it gives a little more hot 1997-98 info on the model when it arrives.

Honestly I am happy with the finish condition though. You can't really see it in the pictures but there aren't any scratches or even a turn-ring on the cylinder so the thing seems closer to like-new instead of used.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

Do they share a cylinder design with anything else? At that point I'd feel bad about shooting it.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Been selling a lot of things, worked a lot of OT, but it's a hair under $1200 so I'll count this as a #trumpbux purchase

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

No judgement, but I have to ask, why do you keep selling 1911s and then buying new ones? I swear I've seen you sell at least two milsurp ones, possibly others but I don't remember.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

No judgement, but I have to ask, why do you keep selling 1911s and then buying new ones? I swear I've seen you sell at least two milsurp ones, possibly others but I don't remember.

Because my buying and selling hobby items off site always seems to fascinate you and I'd hate to deprive you of the fun! I chose to get out of having $20k tied up in guns, buying new ones and checking out different features is fun and I'd rather not have them pile up and just sit in the back of a safe.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Conelrad posted:

My stimulus gun finally got in! I'll have to do a box thread at some point but have some potato-vision cell phone shots instead.

It's really a beautiful gun and I'm jealous. I like big chunky barrel shrouds and dust covers. In a way, it reminds me of the CZ Custom A01LD, another gun I really want.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

DeesGrandpa posted:

Because my buying and selling hobby items off site always seems to fascinate you and I'd hate to deprive you of the fun! I chose to get out of having $20k tied up in guns, buying new ones and checking out different features is fun and I'd rather not have them pile up and just sit in the back of a safe.

I guess that makes sense, I find selling guns to be a massive PITA so I'm more inclined to try modifying the ones I already have but A) you obviously wouldn't do that with a milsurp 1911 and B) I tend to buy less popular guns, which are harder to sell.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Rest of the parts finally arrived, Tiny Rifle is complete.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Very nice. That looks like a fun plinker.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Several of my friends have been buying up AR pattern rifles in .556 and .300 blackout for like $4 - 600 trump bux and I started getting itchy but I am interested in something different from the nearly-identical rifles all my friends are getting.

I haven't bought a gun in 20 years I have no idea what is good to buy and cheap. Could I get some rec's, please? Ideally it would be:

Semi auto rifle or carbine
Larger than 9mm but no larger than 5.56
Some option to hang dumb poo poo off of it (I only have a ruger p95 and a winchester 190 and neither of those takes any interesting accessories)
$0 - 500 dollar?

E: sorry, I didn't realize that this thread died weeks ago rip

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Two brands to avoid are ATI and Radical Firearms. edit: also avoid Del-Ton

One thing to look for is a Ruger AR-556, they have a model that should be close to your price range (probably $600ish, can't find a website with it currently in stock though) and has MLOK slots so you can hang all sorts of dumb poo poo off of it.
https://www.ruger.com/products/ar55...heets/8529.html

If you find a S&W in that price range that you like they're also supposed to be good for the dollars.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

It's gonna be hard to find a semi auto rifle in something between 9mm and 5.56 that's not an AR for <$500.

Probably a Ruger 9mm PCC? But that's closer to $600.

I think you should get a Stribog because I want a Stribog, but that's closer to $700 (~$800 with brace.)

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

When you say between 9mm and 5.56, what do you mean? Because one is a pistol cartridge and the other is a rifle cartridge, and that's like comparing apples to oranges. The closest that would be between the two in terms of usage I guess would be something like 357 magnum, since it's technically a pistol cartridge that's also used as a rifle cartridge, but most 357 magnum rifles don't offer M-lok/rail options like it sounds like you want, nor do I think they fall within the price range you set.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sub $500 is getting into SKS or KelTec territory. You can get a Sub-2000 for something like $400.

Or hell a hi point carbine.

Eidt: oh a kel tec SU16. You can find those for $500 and theyre in 556. Not terrible but obviously a budget rifle. Id save up for an AR but if the budget is firm you could do worse.

Better than a surplus sks at least.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

And if you have $500 for an SU16, save up another $100-200 and just get an AR15.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I just had an epiphany: the internet is useless!

Ultra Carp

titties posted:

Several of my friends have been buying up AR pattern rifles in .556 and .300 blackout for like $4 - 600 trump bux and I started getting itchy but I am interested in something different from the nearly-identical rifles all my friends are getting.

I haven't bought a gun in 20 years I have no idea what is good to buy and cheap. Could I get some rec's, please? Ideally it would be:

Semi auto rifle or carbine
Larger than 9mm but no larger than 5.56
Some option to hang dumb poo poo off of it (I only have a ruger p95 and a winchester 190 and neither of those takes any interesting accessories)
$0 - 500 dollar?

E: sorry, I didn't realize that this thread died weeks ago rip

between 9mm and 556? cheap? different? you want the hi-point carbine in 10mm

https://dahlonegaarmory.com/product...black-stk-black

$289! a true bargain. that site is reliable, too

Not weird enough? Make it space age with a bullpup stock from hightower armory

https://www.hightowerarmory.com/Pro...ctCode=HTAMBS95

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sub $500 is getting into SKS or KelTec territory. You can get a Sub-2000 for something like $400.

Depending on the model Sub2ks are closer to 300 than 400; generally the Beretta 92/M&P models were cheaper than the Glocks but they appear to be all soldout online now.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

jwang posted:

When you say between 9mm and 5.56, what do you mean? Because one is a pistol cartridge and the other is a rifle cartridge, and that's like comparing apples to oranges. The closest that would be between the two in terms of usage I guess would be something like 357 magnum, since it's technically a pistol cartridge that's also used as a rifle cartridge, but most 357 magnum rifles don't offer M-lok/rail options like it sounds like you want, nor do I think they fall within the price range you set.

I should have been clearer, sorry. I was interested in a carbine or rifle, including pistol-caliber carbines.

Vim Fuego posted:

between 9mm and 556? cheap? different? you want the hi-point carbine in 10mm

I came really close to doing this but for some reason I internalized "hi point = bad" a long time ago so I didn't.

Craptacular posted:

And if you have $500 for an SU16, save up another $100-200 and just get an AR15.

Yeah, that looks like the only option that touches all the bases but I've seen 5 identical ar builds in the last week with their long-rear end birdcage m-lok forearms and I didn't like it.

Regardless, I decided to just save the money instead of spending it on a rifle I will never use for anything. Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Vim Fuego posted:

Not weird enough? Make it space age with a bullpup stock from hightower armory

https://www.hightowerarmory.com/Pro...ctCode=HTAMBS95

Wow, what a neat thing! Its a shame it costs almost as much as the gun proper, but its cool to know that Ill be able to turn my hobby plinker into a dumb stargate gun when I start to get bored of it. I wonder if the charging handle operates better than stock.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fun Shoe

Beardless posted:

Man, if I afford a full plate harness, I would have gotten something like a tricked out 1873, not a $515 Rossi. The gauntlets are mainly for Hema/ SCA Cut and Thrust purposes, they just look cooler than something like SPES Heavy gloves.

Which ones are those? I've got a set of stainless finger gauntlets from Trinity Arms on order right now for just that purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Liquid Communism posted:

Which ones are those? I've got a set of stainless finger gauntlets from Trinity Arms on order right now for just that purpose.

These ones. Ironically, I had also ordered a pair of gauntlets from Trinity back in January but there's been no sign of them. Even without the current issues, apparently they're kind of notorious for taking forever to actually ship products. The Armstreet gauntlets arrived promptly, and even their shipping from the Ukraine only takes a couple weeks. They're not perfect out of the box, I wasn't a fan of how the gloves were attached, so I'm taking them out and I'll be riveting the fingertips of the gloves directly to the gauntlets to get a closer fit between the padded gloves and the gauntlets themselves.

Also, are you doing straight HEMA, or are you a SCAdian as well?

«8 »