Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Action-Bastard posted:

I need a bigger safe before I buy anymore guns, my little Stack-On is starting to get very cramped and I have no more shelf space for handguns. So probably a new safe.

I WAS planning to finish my AR build with the money but Faxon doesn't have the barrel in stock.

This, this, and this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Parts Kit posted:

Then again I could go all the way and get a CETME-L.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/pr...e-fdr-marcolmar

Or $1200 in silver.

If you can find a seller.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Iím getting myself a Turnbull finished Ruger before long.

Iím trying to decide if I want to add a gaudy Chiappa Rhino to the purchase.

Gold or rainbow?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Vim Fuego posted:

definitely the "nebula"

But if you follow the rest of the threads, you'll know I do have a thing for gold...

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Trillhouse posted:

My Turnbull MarkIV is halfway through the 8 week build time but I'll take pictures of it as soon as I get it. I'm really excited (Target model with the 6" threaded barrel, wood grips). I already have a Form1 silencer ready for it.

Get the Rainbow Rhino too. That would be a head-turner at the range.

I feel like Trump bux should be spent on something gaudy and outrageous. I have half a mind to put it towards a Color Case Hardened Desert Eagle to match the MarkIV.

I dunno, I need to cool off on gun purchases for a little bit after ordering the Ruger and getting a Manuhrin MR73 a couple weeks ago. If they announced those A3 Stribogs though...

My new gun purchasing had been on hold for the last few years. Now I'm going to have a little more capital to put towards new guns, but I need to get back to monthly range trips. I'm loving rusty.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Parts Kit posted:

Getting the CETME-L tomorrow!

It better be silver.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Trillhouse posted:

I went to the range last weekend for the first time since before quarantine and man my shooting skills deteriorate fast. Humbling to have to go back to fundamentals. It's changed the way I approach dry fire, I'm a lot more concerned deliberate and focused on trigger pull.

This is going to sound silly -

My British side of the family plays proper darts. Cricket, to be exact. When I was four, they set up a little dart board for me leaned back into a chair, so I could reach it. I'd throw real steel darts with my father and uncles before I was five years old. Never hurt myself and loving loved it.

Because of playing darts and shooting from a really young age (seven), I've always had good hand/eye coordination for hitting targets. When I took my father to the range for the first time a year ago, he was hitting bullseyes with the Wrangler. His explanation for doing well? "It was like throwing darts."

But the one thing that is hard to de-program is the little adrenaline burst you get from firing a gun. Especially in a loud as gently caress indoor range. I've also never taken a class outside of the basic CCW needed for a permit.

Yeah, I've got some guns to buy. But I owe it to myself to take some classes and actually develop skills outside of hitting clay and paper.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Action-Bastard posted:

Yeah mine hit today the same time as my paycheck that had a little OT on it so

Bought some fancier than usual groceries via Amazon and may go find some new items for the kitchen but otherwise I'm keeping it in the bank. Since I'm being furloughed 15 days I need to make sure unemployment is gonna take care of me before I start spending all of it.

Amazon is STILL not doing their FRESH delivery service in my area. Except they are listing it as, "Windows are being released as they come available." I've checked every day for over a month and not seen a single delivery window.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Action-Bastard posted:

Oh God yeah all the usual stuff I order from them is sold out or unavailable. Even vitamins/supplements.

Now I'm wondering if I should get one of those fancy rice cookers...

You have a pot, right?

You just need a pot.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

DeesGrandpa posted:

This is a post I would have made before I had a rice cooker. My ex was a first generation American and had had rice with pretty much every meal growing up. I did the cooking when we lived together, and as such had to start making a lot more rice than I normally did. Even the cheap $13 rice cooker I have is so much easier and more pleasant than making rice without one. No brainer if you're making rice often.

If I had a big family...maybe.

But when I'm cooking one cup at a time and prefer it done precisely how I like it, my pot works just fine.

I'm cranky about food gadgets.

My Log Approved Rice Method -

Get a pot. Get a lid. A plate works too.

Two cups chicken stock, boil that poo poo till it's nice and hot.
One cup rice
Curry powder, turmeric powder, cracked black pepper, salt, and one bay leaf

Make that poo poo till it's delicious and finish with butter if eating it alone.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Smegma Princess X posted:

Help me out here, I'm a dumb idiot gun owner newbie who wants a decent rifle with some pew-pew that isn't point-and-click.

I've used guns as a kid but I have never had to care for my own gun.

What will the firearm be used for?

Target practice? Home Defense? Hunting? Dressing up like a Barbie?

Also, where are you located? Local laws can have a big impact on what you can and cannot buy.

(If you'd like to check it out, we have a stacked newbie thread at the top of the forum loaded with information.)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

My father just got a bigger return/stimulus than he was expecting. It was almost triple what he was expecting. If his claiming me as a dependent somehow got his return to be that nice, I don't think we will worry about fixing it. We just pool our money, so the net positive is the important part.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

On my Gun buying list, a semi 22 is next. Iím going to order a Turnbull finished Ruger, probably a Mk IV because it has that Luger aesthetic.

Iím just trying to weigh if I want a PC Carbine (my range is pistol caliber only) or a Chiappa Rhino.

Decisions are hard.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Action-Bastard posted:

What caliber would that Rhino be in? Just asking because if you do get it I know I'm getting a turn with it eventually

.357 so I could shoot .38 for less newbie (my Dad) scaring recoil.

Beardless posted:

You want a PC Carbine, they're wicked fun.

I must get a way to practice rifle platform shooting. Itís a woefully underdeveloped skill for me - a guy with three ARs.

Soupisgood posted:

I had a Chiappa Rhino, wasn't wild about the trigger. I could have gotten a lemon, but it was just awkward and sliding back the hammer felt super stiff.

They do have a rainbow nitride option though, so if you want something to compliment your Turnbull Ruger that's definitely a good option.

Which model? They have some different set ups.

Also, Gold or Rainbow? Thatís difficult.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Conelrad posted:

I got my Trumpbux this last week and might have splurged on a weirdo, old Rossi revolver i've wanted for a long time. Can't wait to post a box thread in a few weeks once it arrives hopefully!

Also responsibly ordered a new pair of glasses because i'm reaching Ray Charles levels of "can't see poo poo!" with my current scratched up pair.

The first non 22 I ever shot was a surprisingly nice Rossi 38. That makes me VERY interested in that stupid looking gun.

I still need a Rhino, but the 22 comes first.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

After spending time with Google, the Rossi Cyclops is a pretty hard to find revolver. They don't sell for much over $400, but they are sure as poo poo hard to find.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Conelrad posted:

Haha yeah. I had plenty of other stimulus guns in mind but when I saw that one pop up I just had to. The other option was one of those hilarious, skirting the ATF, Standard Manufacting S333 .22 MAG Thunderstrucks. It's so dumb it wraps around to being cool. Nothing like a dual barrel, 22 mag, 8 rounds, volley fire revolver!

Maybe next paycheck!

I have mixed feelings about gimmick guns.

But I kinda want one of those too.

Hell, I think a LifeCard would be fun to play with. I just take issue with poo poo like that being marketed as some sort of ultimate operator self defense tool.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Conelrad posted:

Totally agreed. I would put the impetus on gun store owners to help educate and inform new shooters on good self defense solutions but lol to that. I'm genuinely curious what the top 5 firearms that have been purchased by first time gun owners during the pandemic panic run,

It's magical isn't it?

I bet the answers would be incredibly depressing.

I get angry when I see "CONCEALED OPERATOR" magazine going nuts over things like derringers for "ULTRA DEEP CARRY!" and poo poo.

Fun range toy? Sure!

Back up gun? You should get an LCP instead but you do you.

It's going to be your main gun?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Trillhouse posted:

LifeCard has a threaded barrel option now. If they weren't so expensive, I'd get one + this and have the littelest silenced .22 ever.

No bullshit, that would be a lot of fun to play with outside with reactive targets. But the thought of someone trusting their life to one hurts my brain parts.

I would literally rather have a sharp stick in a confrontation than a LifeCard.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Conelrad posted:

Reviews seem to think it has around a 22-25 lb trigger pull but with two fingers it's not too bad and it apparently it's because they used a pretty heavy hammer to reliably hit both firing pins. It's funny how they game the ATF rules but hey they submitted it to them and the ATF responded that it's legal. It's a weird, dumb gun but like I said I still want one. Probably a future Forgotten Weapons, Ian reviewed, gun!

22-25 loving POUNDS?! That's more than what I used to curl for Christ's sake!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I refuse to believe any of this Newtonian fancy man talk.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Beardless posted:

I got this neat Rossi 92 with my trumpbux, but these gloves I picked up as well don't seem to fit in the lever...

Need a picture of a knight in shining armor holding a lever gun.

Don't bullshit us. Show us the whole suit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Beardless posted:

Man, if I afford a full plate harness, I would have gotten something like a tricked out 1873, not a $515 Rossi. The gauntlets are mainly for Hema/ SCA Cut and Thrust purposes, they just look cooler than something like SPES Heavy gloves.

I still have my medieval sword fighting gloves with big cuffs. My group of friends back home affectionately referred to them as my, "Darth Vader Grips."

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Beardless posted:

I started out wit ha pair of big padded gloves, these ones, which sound more or less like what you're describing, but after being on the receiving end of a good crack across the knuckles from a steel sword, I wanted an upgrade. And the group I fight with requires gauntlets like that or the equivalent for fighting with anything two-handed anyway.

I normally didnít have to worry about steel, thank god. I developed tendinitis in high school from that medieval poo poo.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

That gun is loving rad and really hard to find.

My first not 22 to shoot was a stainless/nickel Rossi 38 that shot smooth as hell.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Any of this sword stuff should be posted about, heavily. Preferably with video and pictures.

For reasons. "Me" reasons.

Edit : That linked website was selling a poncho/cloak that was also a grocery tote. I ain't even mad.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Beardless posted:

I'll get some of my gear out and do an effort post about it later this week, maybe in the knife thread.

I'm gonna get hyped.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Oooooh I wish I could get back into sword slinging. This stuff is absolutely awesome.

Is there any recent footage of the top folks competing? Or you folk? Back when I was fresher and had recently stopped fencing, I watched a lot of tape. But the bar to entry was too financially high at the time.

Those rapier looking swords are my jam. When I did medieval skirmishing, I always did sword and board.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Beardless posted:

As promised, I have taken pictures of my swords.

Here's my rapier, which I use most often:

It's got a 40 inch blade from Zen Warrior, and the guard was made by a local armorer.

This my arming sword:

I bought it from Purpleheart Armory, and it's based on early 14th century Type XVI swords. Note that when I actually fight with it it had to have a rubber tip on it, like the rapier does, but I took it off to clean up the blade. I use this for sword and buckler play, based on Royal Armouries MS I.33, otherwise known as the Walpurgis Fechtbuch. Dating from around 1300, that's the oldest Western European fighting manual that we know of, and also one of the only ones that depicts a woman fighting.

Here are the two swords side by side, you can really see the difference in length here, as the arming sword only has a 31.5" blade:

That leads me to a point I wanted to make, which is that despite what a lot of people think, rapiers are not particularly lighter than other swords. The rapier is 2 pounds, 9.5 ounces, and the arming sword is 2 pounds, 10.1 ounces. Rapiers aren't lighter, they're just longer than earlier single-handed swords.

Quick question - in the combat you do, are attacks to the head allowed?

When I did some medieval poo poo, head shots were verboten. Which totally hosed up the rational way you attack someone holding something in each hand.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Beardless posted:

Head shots are absolutely allowed, and in fact encouraged. With rapier, typically only thrusts are allowed, so most people wear normal fencing masks with a cloth hood covering the back of the head. With Cut and Thrust (C&T), which is what I use the arming sword for, cuts are obviously allowed as well, so additional back of the head protection is required. I have a plastic "shell" that fits over the back of the mask, somewhat like this though it's not this exact one:

Other people just wear lightweight steel helmets:

That's loving awesome! Absolutely awesome. Now I want to participate.

Back in the day, like over twenty years ago, the no head shots stuff is what drove me to ťpťe. There were people who constantly won fighting with two swords and their head just hanging out in the open.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Beardless posted:

Honestly, once poo poo is over, go to an SCA event or practice, explain that you have limited leg mobility but you'd like to give fencing a try (and mention your previous epee experience, that will definitely help), and I'm sure someone would oblige you with some bouts.

Hell, I might have to just go watch.

I'm pretty sure my lunging days are done.

What does your whole outfit look like?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Beardless posted:

Honestly if you're down with not fighting yourself, but keeping a watchful and somewhat experienced eye on thingss, you'd be an ideal candidate for a marshal. Basically you'd make sure that all parties were fighting safely and not getting too close to any bystanders. They're explicitly not referees though, they don't call shots.

This is the best picture I could get of my current kit:

I'll take you through the individual components as well.

From left to right there's my gorget, a throat/neck protector (which has seen better days and really needs to be replaced), the plastic back-of-the-head piece that I mentioned earlier, which attaches to the mask with velcro, and my mask and hood itself.

Our rules state that the torso, groin and armpits need additional protection in case of broken and thus actually pointy blades. This can be done with layered cloth (or a modern fencing jacket in a pinch), but many people prefer this mesh chainmail. It's really quite light, very breathable, and you can just wear a shirt or tunic over it.

Here are, from left to right, the gauntlets I got that kicked off this whole discussion, which are in the process of being modified to fit better, the padded gloves that are the minimum level of protection for single-handed Cut & Thrust, my buckler (one of them at least), and my regular rapier fencing gloves. Since normal Rapier combat is thrust only, you don't need the heavier gloves.

Not pictured but equally important is my cup.

God drat, stuff has come a long way. SCA used to get made fun of pretty hard in Nashville, but that had more to do with one of the main dude being known as a raging rear end in a top hat citywide who probably said, "M'Lady" twice an hour. Everything you are posting is extremely my poo poo. I really appreciate your sharing.

That stuff is just plain legit. I don't know how else to put it. That's probably about as historically accurate as you can get without killing people.

QUESTIONS!!!

- What are the biggest skirmishes that involve actual sword fighting?
- Are there archers?
- Are there any analogues for flails and maces?
- Polearms?
- Is it full contact? Can you kick over a person with a shield if they are planting too hard? poo poo like that?
- How often are the meets? When I did it back in the day it was every Sunday until it got way cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

God drat, this all looks like so much fun. I wish they had this twenty years ago. Pre-internet, it was loving hard to source foam weapons, let alone full steel sets.

Whenever the apocalypse ends, I might have to go check this out. I really, really doubt I'd be able to do anything outside of getting wailed on. But God dang it would be fun to watch.