Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ah, in that case I think going on 8 works the best.

C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Inverted Icon posted:

I wanna let Emilia handle trying to kill the guy

The other's handle the thorn (they'll prolly be better off deciding when to attack on their own)

And we make Aurora fast and get her to run into the city and hide where its hard/impossible to follow

In ten seconds Aurora can cover roughly 100 feet, at your estimate. That's not bad, that's about halfway down this street. For you to buff her, you need to be close. Like, arms reach close. She can't run while you're buffing her. She can, and probably will, run when you give the order, but ten seconds is not a great amount of time.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

C -- vines or web, whichever seems more effective to our judgement

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

TheCog posted:

In ten seconds Aurora can cover roughly 100 feet, at your estimate. That's not bad, that's about halfway down this street. For you to buff her, you need to be close. Like, arms reach close. She can't run while you're buffing her. She can, and probably will, run when you give the order, but ten seconds is not a great amount of time.

In which case I have two questions (sorry to take so long getting to them)

Are we still in a city area, with buildings around to run into?

If we take five second to get to Aurora and enchant her to be fast, would it be fast enough to make a difference? To run to some shelter, or dodge?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Inverted Icon posted:

In which case I have two questions (sorry to take so long getting to them)

Are we still in a city area, with buildings around to run into?

If we take five second to get to Aurora and enchant her to be fast, would it be fast enough to make a difference? To run to some shelter, or dodge?

There are buildings. None seems immediately open, but its possible you could knock down a door?

If you take five seconds, you can about double her speed... which about cancels out.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Yeah, I think we should get her into a building, even if we have to spend time doing it. In a building,

-he'll have to work/concentrate to find her, or even follow her

-If the thorn gets in there I think it'll be easier to stop, catch, or wedge

-the clypeus, hopefully, will be long enough to find it cramped

-the clypeus is separated from either the thorn, or the man

Meanwhile, while he's hunting her, it'll be easier for Emilie to backstab him. So, yeah, F

Target: Building Door (window, hatch, etc)
Timing: in 2 seconds

Spend 2 seconds: telling Emilie to take her time and do it right.

Im not sure if we can spend seconds like that. Anyway, just my vote. I'll amend my previous posts to reflect this

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Voting is closed.

Update... soon I think.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

You turn to Aurora and yell at her “RUN!” , she hesitates for a split second, but you’ve already turned to the rest of the group. “Thorn on eight” you whisper, hoping the man doesn’t overhear. You see Aurora, behind you has taken off down the street. She’s moving fast, but she’s likely not going to make it halfway to the end of the street before the ten seconds are up.

Alois takes up a fighting stance. The Clypeus’ have one job as you all drop into Mage Fuge, to protect you. That is the way it always is. After a few seconds of mage fuge, any mage can overpower an ordinary Clypeus. They buy those seconds needed for you to come online, with their lives if needed. Without hesitation you close your eyes, and say “Aegis”

You feel the words roll off your tongue, an ocean of well remembered chants. Your hands move in the gestures that will force the mana to listen, to obey. Your senses narrow and expand. You can’t smell the fire or the brewing storm anymore, where your sense of smell once was there is now the understanding of how mana flows. The wind no longer touches your skin, or if it does, you can’t feel it, because it’s been replaced by the understanding of how to touch the physical plane. You hold on to your sense of self. It is easy to get caught in the maelstrom, to overwrite even your identity, and be left nothing but a shrieking shell…

You let your senses extend, and try not to let fear grip your heart, even though the feel of blood pumping through your veins has been filled with the unspecific premonition of how mana will react. The world comes crashing in through your new senses.

The Physical Plane does not look promising. The man, who you still don’t have a name for, is surrounded by Metal mana. You’ve seen it before, once. It reminds you of the taste of blood in your mouth, the way rust feels under your fingers, and of cold steel against your brow. It is metal gray, unyielding, the same shape as a blade slicing through flesh. You can feel it thrumming with purpose.

There is of course one fragment of it that is most relevant to you. The single mana powering the thorn. You can feel it there, almost taunting you, sleek and smooth and deadly. It’s almost overflowing with its singular purpose

Then there's a strange mana you don't recognize. It's magenta, like the blood of the archangel, or the color of the sky during sunset. It makes your head hurt when you try to focus on it. It reminds you of guilt, and that feeling at the pit of your stomach when you miss a step. It tastes like coldly strangling the life out of your victims, and feeling them struggle for breath as you hold them down. The more you try to focus on it, the more it seems to slip from under you.

Next to you, Emilie has started forming force mana, probably overflowing from her mental plane as she starts to scale up. Felix is working on… something, you recognize the water mana, its familiar, but you have no idea what he’s working towards. Tabor is shaping life mana, and from this distance it looks like he’s doing something with his arm. Bone restructuring.

Your senses extend a bit further, checking the mental plane.

All is as it should be. Not a single bit of mana. It's ready for you to enhance away, if that’s the path you wish to travel.

So what is your plan?

A. Vines.
I will reach into my belt and withdraw two Passiflora seeds, and I will whisper to them the words of the Omnitree, the regent of growth. I will sufuse them with the sun and make their life stir again. Two powerful vines will grow, entirely under my control. Vines with about 15 foot reach, dexterous and strong. I will use them to snatch the thorn out of the air, smash it into the ground, or entangle the monster as needed.

B. Weaker vines, but more of them. As with A, but instead of spending all my energy nurturing two vines, I will grow four weaker, slower vines. They will be less tough, but having more will provide me with an advantage over having two, I hope.

C. Webbing. I’ll pull a dead orb weaver from my belt. Using it and weaving the cord of nets, I’ll create a sack of webbing, which I can use to shoot a long strand of web. I will be able to aim it and retract it, but I’ll otherwise have limited control over the webbing. It will be very very sticky, and good at entangling things. I can expect to build up maybe two shots of web in the time I have.

D. Maximum Physical Enhancement. I’ll take a deep breath and start putting mana on my mental plane. I will coerce my muscles to grow, the glands that produce the vial fluids that spur me on to pump harder and faster, my brain to process and understand these changes… and I will be faster, stronger and more agile. I can expect to be three times as fast and strong as a regular man. I won’t have any added armour or weapons, but even unarmed with that speed and that strength I will represent a formidable threat.

E. Poison spores. I’ll grab a single Gyromitra esculenta from my pouches, a dried, dead mushroom with poison spores. I will submerge it in the flow of life, convince it the time to spread is here, and then take its spores and multiply them a hundred, a thousandfold. This will create a small cloud of spores, roughly three feet wide. It is harmless to the touch, but anyone who inhales it will feel as if they had inhaled fire, for the spores will burn their lungs mercilessly, a crippling amount of pain. It probably won’t kill someone who breathes it, but it will incapacitate them. Your allies are not immune.

F. Cloud of spores. From your bag, withdraw a handful of dandelions. Make the gestures that call forth the summer, and stroke them gently. They will bloom, and grow a thousand spores each, and for each spore, ten more will grow. Cover the air in them, obstructing the sight of all in a sphere ten feet wide for a few seconds. Perhaps this will block the sight of the thorn? Or perhaps it will accomplish nothing. Your allies will not be able to see in it either.

G. Chitin armour. I will take the crushed carapace of a beetle, and hold it against my chest, while I persuade it to let go of its secrets. Then I will weave the long-forgotten words that dwell within me into a fearsome armour, like the beetle’s. I will grow a hard carapace, protecting my head, arms and torso. Harder than iron, it should deflect any mundane blow. It will be least effective against blunt force.

H. Aspect of the bear. I will take the aspect of the bear. Its ferocity, its strength. By placing mana on the mental plane I can emulate both… and more, growing sharp claws, designed for tearing, rending and mauling, they will make my blows terrifying indeed. This will give me great strenght, but no as much speed and agility.

K Aspect of the toad. Most don’t think of toads as fearsome enemies. Those people probably haven’t met Poisonspit toads. Assume the aspect of the toad. Move with speed and agility, avoiding blows, and retaliate with toxic spit The spit is short ranged, less than five feet, but cripplingly toxic, seeping in through the skin and causing hallucinations within seconds.

L. Cloud of louse flies. From your pocket withdraw a dozen dried husks, the eggs of a dozen louse flies. Will them to multiply. Copy the eggs until you have not a dozen but a hundred, and then let the mana coax them to a new birth. Command your hundred flies to harass, with their loud buzzing and painful and distracting sting. They’ll probably be supremely ineffective against the thorn, seeing as it has neither eyes to blind nor flesh to sting.

M. Carpet of spiders. Were you not a vivomancer, carrying a pouch with thousands of dry spider eggs might be considered odd. Since you are, it's simply part of your profession. Empty the pouch, encourage the spiders to hatch. They are jumping spiders, small, not very venomous, but creepy, agile and horrifying. Enough bites might even disable someone, although its not something to rely on. They do not possess any special ability to fight hovering thorns.

N. Wall of roots. Draw a dozen berries from your pouch, from bushes that cling to the side of mountains. Summon to them the warmth of spring and the gentle touch of the sun, and will them to grow a thousandfold. Cast them around Aurora, a sphere of roots, hard, durable, resistant, and hope they can wither the Thorn. You’re confident such a wall could stop a dozen axe blows, or a volley of arrows… but can it withstand the Thorn?

O. Enhance Emile. I will place mana on the mental plane, just not on mine. I will enhance Emilie like I would myself. It will be less effective, but still powerful. I will cause her muscles to swell, her reflexes to race, her lungs to breathe more powerfully. She will be strong, and fast, and agile, twice as much as her regular self.

P. Enhance Tabor. O, but Tabor

Q. Enhance Felix. O, but Felix.

R. Write in. Propose something that seems in a similar vein to options presented, and I’ll inform you if it's possible or not.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 11, 2020

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

C

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

C

Changed from N

Toughy fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 12, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Need a wall!

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Well, we did say we were going after the thorn, so a wall around Aurora (who is already running, at our command) seems counter productive.

C Seems like the best bet?

Cog, do we see any mana that would represent the centipede thing?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

Cog, do we see any mana that would represent the centipede thing?
I may or may not have accidentally deleted a part of my post in proofreading.

Added back in, but for relevance

quote:

The Physical Plane does not look promising. The man, who you still don’t have a name for, is surrounded by Metal mana. You’ve seen it before, once. It reminds you of the taste of blood in your mouth, the way rust feels under your fingers, and of cold steel against your brow. It is metal gray, unyielding, the same shape as a blade slicing through flesh. You can feel it thrumming with purpose.

There is of course one fragment of it that is most relevant to you. The single mana powering the thorn. You can feel it there, almost taunting you, sleek and smooth and deadly. It’s almost overflowing with its singular purpose

Then there's a strange mana you don't recognize. It's magenta, like the blood of the archangel, or the color of the sky during sunset. It makes your head hurt when you try to focus on it. It reminds you of guilt, and that feeling at the pit of your stomach when you miss a step. It tastes like coldly strangling the life out of your victims, and feeling them struggle for breath as you hold them down. The more you try to focus on it, the more it seems to slip from under you.

Next to you, Emilie has started forming force mana, probably overflowing from her mental plane as she starts to scale up. Felix is working on… something, you recognize the water mana, its familiar, but you have no idea what he’s working towards. Tabor is shaping life mana, and from this distance it looks like he’s doing something with his arm. Bone restructuring.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Can't we do N around the thorn to keep it immobile?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

C

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Olothreutes posted:

Well, we did say we were going after the thorn, so a wall around Aurora (who is already running, at our command) seems counter productive.
We told the others to. N might be a good tactic to buy time, assuming the thorn can't just ignore it.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
C

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

TheCog posted:

I may or may not have accidentally deleted a part of my post in proofreading.

Added back in, but for relevance

Oh good, at last we have discovered doom mana.

Are the experiences of mana common enough that we could describe this to someone later and they might know what it is?

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
C

Question So, that clypeus is 4 dots big. Can we use that to work stuff out? Like, we have two blue dots, one green, and one orange so far. Does that mean the four dots on each side will cancel each other out in a fight?

Inverted Icon fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 11, 2020

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Toughy posted:

Can't we do N around the thorn to keep it immobile?

The roots take several seconds to grow. You're pretty sure the monster would not just sit idle while you spent several seconds surrounding the thorn with roots.

Olothreutes posted:

Are the experiences of mana common enough that we could describe this to someone later and they might know what it is?

Maybe. "Colors" of mana are generally described similarly between mages, but this is strange mana compared to what you're used to.

Inverted Icon posted:

Question So, that clypeus is 4 dots big. Can we use that to work stuff out? Like, we have two blue dots, one green, and one orange so far. Does that mean the four dots on each side will cancel each other out in a fight?

To be clear, the boards and the dots aren't really at all what your character is sensing, they're just a visual aid because "red and the feeling of drowning in the direction of the way cheese tastes" is not actually an useful description. So trying to talk to another mage about mana dots, or boards is not going to be effective. They're just a tool so we can talk about what's going on effectively.

That all said: Not all mana dots are equivalent. For example, a water mana and a fire mana will cancel out, but it takes two fire mana to overcome one life mana, and two water mana plus one life mana is actually going to become two life mana, or three water mana, depending on the shapes.

Generally speaking, mana that are opposed will cancel each other out one for one.

It takes between three and five elemental mana to equal one derived mana. You don't know the proportions for conjured mana because it's never come up, but based on your reading its probably in the ballpark of 10-20 elemental mana per. Maybe more.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

So metal mana is derived, probably from earth.

Cog, do we know what sort of mana might conceivably cancel out metal mana? Are we talking about large amounts of water?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

So metal mana is derived, probably from earth.

Cog, do we know what sort of mana might conceivably cancel out metal mana? Are we talking about large amounts of water?

Large amounts of air? Wood mana which is a derived mana of life might do it? The interactions of derived mana are not something you've had cause or the ability to investigate in depth.

EDIT: Voting will close at some point in the next 24 hours, so if you have an opinion or a vote, best get it in.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

SURE WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE LOTS OF AIR MANA RIGHT NOW. OH WELL.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Voting is closed.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Eight seconds is not a long time. Eight seconds is also an eternity. You are focused, your mind lives in a very specific *here* and *now*. It builds layer upon layer of mana, it shapes, it orders, it determines. You are as much part of the mana as it is part of you. You feel the spider, dead, desiccated in your hand. You are the spider. You stir it to life, one fragment at a time. You remind it of when it was alive, and there was hunger, and need, and a deep urgency to spin web. You feel the tendrils of web growing, you copy them, over and over, a thousandfold. The sac that holds the web will not be enough. You order it to grow. The structure of it is very simple, you understand it, you break the mana, and reassemble it, one block at the time. You feel the sac in your hand, swelling, ripping past the body of the long-dead orbweaver, inside of it, strands of powerful, sticky web. Some. Not nearly enough.

You consider too, the issue of attachment. It wouldn’t do to have to squeeze the sack. Fortunately you know your own flesh best of all. You allow the walls of the sack to become a part of you, bind the covenant, that when their purpose is fulfilled they shall be no more, and make the cut into the mana that will bind your flesh to it. It doesn’t hurt. Or if it does the part of you that knows what pain is is too busy holding on to the shape of the sac to notice.

In the back of your mind, you feel it. Time is slipping away. Half of it is gone.

Next to you, Felix is doing… something. Your eyes are too busy, understanding what it is like to spin web, your mind is totally absorbed in the details of the structure of the webbing, the glands that produce the sticky material that coats it. You don’t have a name for it, but it doesn’t matter, you don’t have names for most of what you are feeling right now. Emilie is doing… something, you feel force mana leaking out of her despite your best efforts to focus on what you’re doing. You don’t even spare Tabor a thought. He is not the intricate process that turns mana into vis and vis into thread and thread into web, and you cannot think of anything else, lest you lose your cadence, and weave something unfit for use. Your mind is half man, half spider, half something else entirely. You do not care. There is only web, and the seconds slipping away from you, one at the time.

Time is up. You’ve built up web, plenty of web, enough web for one, long sticky strand fired at full power, and one second one, maybe two thirds as long. With effort you let go of the part of you that knows how web is built. Then you peel away the part of you that understands how to generate the stickiness. Then the part of you that is spider. Bit by bit you shed all that made you more it, and less you. It seems like it takes a very long time, but in reality it's but a fraction of a second. “Ecfectus” you whisper, but Alios doesn’t relax as he usually would. Instead he just gives you a nod.

“Now” you yell, and everything happens all at once.
Emilie explodes forward with a speed you didn’t think was possible. She has taken a bounding leap that at first glance seems to be taking her towards the thorn. You know better though. Her eyes are fixed on her target. He doesn’t seem to realize yet. Or maybe he’s unconcerned. She’s utterly silent, her face a mask of determination.

Tabor is right behind her, but it seems he’s actually going for the thorn. He’s moving fast, at least one layer of enhancement, but definitely not two. His entire right arm has morphed into a blade carved of bone. It's surprising he had time to both layer an enhancement and a bone blade… but then again, that is his wheelhouse. You don’t see any of the frightened trembling boy about to vomit in fear that you saw a few minutes ago. His face is blank, impassive, as if he isn’t all there.

Right behind them are Tamiko and Lael, following behind their wards.

Felix isn’t moving, he still seems to be in a trance. His brow is beaded with sweat, and it seems like he’s focusing extremely hard. You spare a glance behind you to see where Aurora is at and you see why he is still in trance:

It is not huge, not nearly as big as the monster you just got a glimpse of, but a manipulable construct like that probably has a trick or two up its sleeve. It’s starting to move, and it’s obvious to you that Felix is controlling it. It seems to be holding, waiting for something… is Felix planning on trying to catch the Thorn in the air, or is he waiting until the monster appears before he makes his move?

It doesn’t matter. All you can do now is trust him and commit.

You lift your hand, and aim at the thorn. You take a deep steadying breath, taking the full second you have left to aim, and squeeze. You feel the web fire, a sensation the back of your mind recognizes as both utterly alien, and almost intimately familiar.

It soars through the air, a perfect string of web, and you have the certainty that you’re going to snare your target. The deadly, elegant, perfectly still thorn. At the same time, Emile has broken from her route towards the thorn, a massive leap propelling her towards her target. Her arm is mere inches away from his face. Her hand is reaching out, and the man still has that sneering, superior, unbearable smile on his face. A face that will soon be nothing but a red mess. You’ve seen what an Impetar going all out does to unprotected flesh. It’s not pretty.

Tabor is closing on the Thorn, he’s going to get to it before it fires, but a little after you ensnare it with your web. The Clypeus are almost redundant. You can hear the water snake behind you, you’re not sure what it's doing, and your eyes are rapt on the thorn. You allow yourself an instant of hope. A clear mistake.

The monster materializes as if out of nowhere, between you and the thorn. Your webbing latches on to one of the chitinous spikes next to its face, adhering with the full strength of your carefully crafted webbing. A split second slower and you would have gotten the thorn. You would scream in frustration, but the creature pulls, and pulls you forward, as it slams into Tabor, who deftly dodges a dozen razor sharp spikes aimed at him, but can’t avoid the momentum of the monster, and flies backwards, propelled by the creature's momentum. You see an animalistic snarl cross Tabor features as he slams into a wall. The creature however has already turned and is upon the Clypeus.

Then, with a sound like a thousand angry bees, the thorn fires. You jerk to the side, as hard as you can, trying to push the monster into its flight path.

It is large and powerful, and you are but a man. You barely nudge it as it drives three massive barbed thorns into Lael, two pierce his abdomen, and you can hear the sound of bone and flesh being parted, and one goes through his throat. He tries to scream, but it's choked out by blood.

The thorn has already zoomed past you.

At the same time, Emilie’s hand makes contact with the man’s face. Your whole body is turning to follow the thorn, but you still get to see her hand crashing against his face. You expect to see his body buckle, break, as the head explodes into a mass of gore and bone. Like a grape, under the heel of your shoe.

Instead, there is a metalic clang that echoes, like a bell. His head sways back slightly, before snapping back into position with unattural speed. Emile’s left hand is already flying towards him in a follow up blow. You see the man say something, but you can’t make out what it is, as the timing coincides with the thorn shooting past you.

His message however, is clear. You see the impetar shield around her buckle and then explode as he lands a single strike with his staff. It bursts through the shield, and then through her flesh. A ruinous, terrible blow, one that rends flesh and bone with equal ease. Emilie screams. An animal, terrible scream. The scream of one about to die. Her entire lower abdomen is just gone. The force of the blow slams her against the door of the store facing the street, cracking the wood. She slumps over, silent, like a marionette who’s strings have just been cut. An ocean of blood is pouring out of her.

What the do you do
A.) Run to Emilie. If Emilie is not dead, she will be if she doesn’t receive immediate medical attention. You are the only immediately available medical attention. Go. Try to save her. Hope the man doesn’t interfere. Hope Felix can handle the thorn. If he can’t and you run to Emilie, you have just killed Aurora.

B.) STOP THE THORN Turn around and throw your web at the thorn. Without the monster interfering, if your aim is true, you can still stop it. Aurora will live, you’ll win the challenge. Emilie’s odds of survival are… grim. It will only cost you a few seconds to do this, but a few seconds are all that hangs between life and death for her.

C.) Fight the Monster. Lael is dead. Even if you got to him right now, his entire throat has been ripped out, and you can’t overcome the monster in time. But Tamiko is still alive. Her spear is buying her time, but it seems unlikely she can overcome the monster before it tears her to shreds. The smart thing would be for her to disengage. You’re not sure if it even cares now that the thorn has fired, but Tamiko seems disinclined to stop, you see a fire in her eyes.

D.) Help Tabor. Tabor got thrown against a wall pretty hard. He seems to be getting on his feet, but he also seems to be bleeding. He’s far enough away from the Thorn that he probably isn’t going to be able to help. Go help him out, ignoring both the thorn and Emilie. This is a great way to get both Aurora and Emilie killed.

E.) Kill the man. THAT rear end in a top hat. THAT MONUMENTAL rear end in a top hat. GO AFTER HIM. You have a strand of web left. Entangle him with your remaining web, and then while he’s fighting the web, you can all close the distance and hopefully get a fatal bow in before he rains death on you.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

B

:rip: Lael and Emile.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

B It’s the only way to end this without further bloodshed.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

B

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

B

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

B

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

B

It's our only hope of survival.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
E murder death kill

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

B

Damnit, I guess a handful of partially trained students aren't actually a match for a top-tier mercenary. At least we're never gonna forget the valuable lesson of knowing when you're out of your league...

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

B

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Voting is closed.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Nice

I'll light a candle for Emilie. Only the good die young

E: I am suffused by a dire hate for the enemies of aqua

Inverted Icon fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 15, 2020

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

You don’t stop. You don’t turn to help your friend. She is probably beyond help now, and you have to stop the Thorn. In a split second, you process the following: For one thing, the water snake Felix is controlling is fast. It’s almost as fast as the thorn. But not quite. Aurora is still running, as fast as her legs will carry her, and that’s not going to matter at all. The thorn will close the distance to Aurora in the next second, and there’s no way the snake will catch it.

You don’t have time for conscious thought. You reach out with your web spinner hand, and squeeze. A full, glorious strand of web extends from it, and you can feel that your spinner is empty. This is the last of it. It stretches out, like the begging hands of a supplicant, praying for mercy. You don’t let yourself breath, you don’t let yourself hope. If you miss this shot, then Aurora will also die.

It's not an easy shot. Your target is small, and moving fast. It’s dark. You don’t often practice shooting web at small moving targets. Certainly no one could blame you if you missed.

But you don’t miss. Your web slams against the thorn with a satisfying *squelch*. You grab the other end of the web with your remaining hand, and *pull*. It's a little like pulling against a wall. It's unexpected, something so small taking so much force as if nothing. The Thorn hovers, stopped mid flight, resisting you, and you can almost see the gears turning in its non-physicalized mind. It fights you, as if somehow by continuing to pull, it could continue its lethal trajectory..

Behind you you hear the monster roar in indignation, and the sounds of struggle. You can’t spare it the attention. Alois will cover your back, for as long as he can. You don’t know what the Thorn is going to do next, but you know you’re not letting go.

Felix takes the opportunity you’ve furnished him, and the snake elemental crashes into the thorn. It engulfs it, and for a split second nothing seems to happen. Then, all at once, the elemental begins to freeze. The process seems slow, but it takes less than a second. As if sensing this the thorn quivers, pulling against you harder. Like a fish on the end of a line, struggling fruitlessly. Abruptly you feel the web go slack, the thorn is reversing. Straight at you.

But its reaction came too late. The ice wraps around the Thorn, a cold, final embrace. The now frozen elemental topples, taking the thorn with it. Fully immersed in its icy prison, the Thorn is powerless. It seems like tonight, at least, Aurora gets to live.

The man applauds. A slow, sardonic thing, but you’ve already shed the spinner in your hand. You don’t have time for this. You run towards Emilie barely taking in your surroundings.

Tabor is braced against the wall he was thrown against, apparently still having a hard time standing. A concussion you suspect. He’ll live.

It looks like Tamiko has scored a hit on the monster, given that one of its eyes looks to be bleeding profusely. As the man applauds though, the monster fades away again. Tamiko looks pissed, like you’ve never seen her.

Lael is most certainly dead. The blow he took has mostly separated his head from his shoulders.

You’re two strides from Emilie, when you feel it. The rain is starting. A single drop splashes in front of you.

“Well boy,” the voice cuts through to you, even as you sink to your knees next to Emilie. Her condition is… abysmal, frankly. Her breathing is ragged, shallow, and barely there. Her stomach, or rather where her stomach should be is a mess of gore, blood and viscera. You’re no stranger to violence, but this is sufficient to make you queasy.

“You’ve earned an answer,” the man insists “what will it be?”

Do you want to ask the man a question, or do you want to focus on Emilie? Every second matters.

A. Delegate the question asking to Felix. This will let you get into a trance 3-5 seconds sooner, since you can just say “Felix, ask!” and not worry about holding a conversation
B. Ask: Who are you?
C. Ask: Who hired you?
D. Ask: Where are you from?
E. Ask: What kind of mana did you use to make that monster?
F. Ask: What are your Thorns?
G. Ask: What were you hired to do?
H. Write in

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

C, and no bullshit about "a shadowy figure in a bar who's name I never learned" I want actionable intelligence on your real actual legit boss. Guys of this tier either know who their boss is or at least can guess even if the boss is trying to stay hidden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

A