Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYJ2Rv_GOqg

One Step From Eden is a fast-paced action roguelike game, available now for the PC and Switch. It features satisfying gameplay, a huge set of available attacks, a great soundtrack, and truly awful incidental writing.

“Slashfik”? Really?

But yeah, even if the writing is bad the game is good. Combat takes place on a small grid; you, the player, maneuver around to dodge enemy attacks and retaliate with a number of different attack cards. The cards provide the random element comes in; as the game goes on, you’ll acquire a lot of different attack cards, so your deck will be different every game. The good news is that the attack cards generally feel great to use. Movement is quick, enemies are tough but fair, the boss fights are all fun and the music is good. Buy this game.

Eight Nine characters provide a lot of variety. They all share the same card pool (this isn’t Slay the Spire) but they’ve got different starting cards and built-in attacks. It’s enough to make them feel very different. You’ll wind up playing the game a lot differently with Hazel, an engineer whose starting cards put down fixed emplacements and whose weapon makes them stronger, than you will with Gunner, who has a big gun and can only attack once he’s gotten a few shots off. There are alternate loadouts for each character too, so you’re not going to get bored anytime soon.

Random poo poo you should know

Help! The game’s too hard!

The game’s difficulty curve is more like a cliff; it’s tough to fight new enemies and when you’re a beginner almost every enemy is going to be new. Give it a few runs and everything will feel much more familiar.

(The game was significantly harder on release than it is now, so if you bounced off the game then it's worth coming back.)

Should I buy it on PC or Switch?

The PC version gets patches more quickly, and tends to have fewer bugs. The Switch game is portable. There used to be a nasty crash bug on the Switch, but at this point I think either is fine.

How do I unlock stuff?

To unlock new characters, you’ve got to beat them up first. Anybody you defeat in a boss fight after the third zone will be unlocked.

To unlock new outfits for characters, beat the game with that character after sparing every boss.

To unlock alternate loadouts, beat the game while sparing some bosses and killing others. You'll unlock Saffron's alternate weapon ("Chrono") just by leveling up.

How do I beat the shopkeeper?

As is traditional in roguelikes the shopkeeper is a complete monster. Good luck, you'll sure as hell need it.

nrook fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

thank you for making an actual thread! I didn't realize the Switch version was significantly harder than the PC version, maybe I'll be able to get past the fourth world once the Switch gets the update

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Game is good, IMO.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I think I've made it to The Gate with every character now, but I still only have a win with Reva. Game's still fun, though.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I think I've made it to The Gate with every character now, but I still only have a win with Reva. Game's still fun, though.

In my experience, if you’re going up against the Gate you want big area-of-effect attacks, especially flame. After all, it’s not going to dodge your spells. Lots of mana regen is useful too, and of course shields. The fight tends to turn into a clusterfuck of a damage race, but if you bring the right spells it’s not too bad.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Unfortunately the broken strategies for high hell pass got nerfed today so my dreams of completing 14 seem to have ended. if only I'd been one day faster.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly, flame in general is just really really strong.

Like, pick up citrine (it's a really common artifact) and you're good to go. Focus Anima, pick up as many fire effects as possible, maybe avoid carpet bomb and hellfire.

Not much enemies (or hostages, oops) can do when the entire field is on fire, you can refresh fire twice, shoot bullets out of fire tiles, and hit fire tiles for big damage.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Who's best at getting the shopkeeper kill? I figure it's gotta be someone with a strong loadout cause I'd rather do it at the start of a run than let her ramp up. Selicy?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anyone as long as you get a Link card and use it when she deploys the ice. :cheerdoge:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I did it with Reva, base kit.

As long as your timing is good with her reflect, there's really only like one or two bad attacks.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I've read all the advice about focusing fire and I've tried it a couple times and still lost to the Gate. Just got there again with a weird Violette Flow deck and lost, but it's ok, I'll get it eventually.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Who's best at getting the shopkeeper kill? I figure it's gotta be someone with a strong loadout cause I'd rather do it at the start of a run than let her ramp up. Selicy?

shiso

do loops until you're doing 10k+ per shot, then sit there and shoot her in the face until she dies. She does a lot of damage and hits most of the screen, but she doesn't actually move very much. You can easily just DPS race her, especially if you have any source of time-stop or invincibility.

Wayward Satellite
Jan 5, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If you just want to get the shopkeeper unlocked (as opposed to learning to do the fight consistently), I'd wait until you unlock Reva's alt kit. She starts with Soul Link, which you can use to make the shopkeeper one-shot herself.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

hell pass 14 (start with 1 life) is actual stupidity. Everything up until then actually makes the game more fun and challenging and then it's just you're hosed.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Have you guys noticed anything weird with stacking multiple doublecast upgrades?

Just finished a run with Hazel and I had an SD Turret with 2 doublecast upgrades. The first two turrets would spawn immediately, but then there's like a second long pause before the third spawns.

Actually SD turrets in general might just be buggy. Multiple times I've had them attack me when I definitely did not hit them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Wayward Satellite posted:

If you just want to get the shopkeeper unlocked (as opposed to learning to do the fight consistently), I'd wait until you unlock Reva's alt kit. She starts with Soul Link, which you can use to make the shopkeeper one-shot herself.
Yeah, I'm just aiming for unlocked right now. So that's great advice, thanks!

Also I can't get the hang of Shiso. The revolver clearly has a lot of potential but I'm not good at managing "burn the enemy almost all the way down then killshot for more money" and I don't know whether I should be using it as my main source of damage on bosses, or like, when to switch from conserving cash to burning it for damage in a more general sense.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, I'm just aiming for unlocked right now. So that's great advice, thanks!

Also I can't get the hang of Shiso. The revolver clearly has a lot of potential but I'm not good at managing "burn the enemy almost all the way down then killshot for more money" and I don't know whether I should be using it as my main source of damage on bosses, or like, when to switch from conserving cash to burning it for damage in a more general sense.

Shiso's simple enough. First off, he's made for Genocide runs because killing bosses gives you a big wad of cash. You'll have a much easier time of it if that's what you go for. Even though the genocide boss is by far the hardest(at least in my opinion there's absolutely no contest), by the time you reach her you'll have so much cash that you'll be able to just plant your feet and gun her down. It's also worth noting that the gun only gives bonus money if you actually kill a boss with it, not for bringing them to 1 hp.

Early game is all about building up money. That means only using your gun when it will earn you money. It costs 3 dollars to fire and earns you 10 when you kill something, which means if you have to shoot something twice you still made some money, and if you shot 3 times you basically broke even, but 1 shot is obviously the ideal. That does mean that you have to wound things with your spells and then finish them off. You have 2 starting damage spells, both of which do damage in discrete multiples of 40. Conveniently, you also start with 80 dollars, so your gun will initially do about 40 damage. Unfortunately it uses the shot damage after it subtracts 3, so you very first enemy will probably take 2 shots, but from then on it's gonna be slightly more than 40. So, look at an enemy's HP, divide it by 40, and hit it an appropriate number of times. Be patient, watch the enemy's pattern and do not shoot until you're sure it won't move. Early Shiso requires a lot of patience and just sitting there waiting for the right moment.

For spells, your first priority is Phalanx, obviously, because Shiso has bad HP and 0 starting damage mitigation, and his weapon requires him to sit still which will cause you to take big attacks right in the face whenever you misjudge things. You need a cushion. When you're tanky enough to survive taking a few hits while shooting, your second priority is Roots and Time Stops, because they let you skip the being patient part and force enemies to sit still so you can dome them. When your gun starts becoming your primary damage output and you're able to force things to sit there and take it, your third priority is Fragile and Link, because they are the only things that actually amplify your absurd damage output. Special mention to Sera Cannon if you see it because it's the only spell that has relevant damage for you.

For Artifacts, number 1 is the Ghost Costume. No question, it puts the game on easy mode from then on. Pocket Sand and Pocket Watch are also great for defence because eventually your spells become mostly irrelevant and you can just slam the shuffle button and shoot things, and the Speed Loader goes very well with them. For offence, the Magnifying Glass, Glass Flute, and Mirror all amplify your gun's damage to absurd levels, and the Link Cable is great for helping you clear enemies quickly. Other than that, go defensive. Any offence other than the previously mentioned 4 will be rendered totally irrelevant by the power of Gun eventually.

For reference, this is what Full Power Shiso looks like:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Beat the Gate. You're not supposed to kill that one thing, right? Those numbers are far too high.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
is there an achievement tied to the shopkeeper's alt costume like there is for everyone else?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Beat the Gate. You're not supposed to kill that one thing, right? Those numbers are far too high.

You’re not supposed to kill that one thing; it counts as a victory even if you don’t. I hear it is possible with certain weird decks but I’ve never done it.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Countblanc posted:

is there an achievement tied to the shopkeeper's alt costume like there is for everyone else?

I haven't unlocked it but if I had to guess it's a pacifist run as shopkeeper. It's what I'm doing next, I haven't on her yet.

Also it's possible to beat the gate serif with the weapon you get from genocide loop, at least on switch for a few loops. I'd guess after 6-7 she has too much HP for it and you get a forced end. You get the weapon again after killing her, it just goes into her genocide ending and sends you back. Otherwise no you're probably going to eat poo poo but it's considered a win by the game's statistics.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Ughhh man I’m glad a Switch patch is upcoming; I really felt like my age must have caught up with me. Just getting to 4-X is a trial!!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

From what I have read browsing the subreddit, Shopkeeper's alt outfit unlock is bugged on v1.0 and fixed on v1.2.

Anyway, I finally put together an amazing winning neutral run with Violette. I had Flame synergy with Citrine, Frost synergy with the ice cream one that causes frosted enemies to get slowed, I got doublecast on Corset, Counterstike, and Entrench and just a whole lotta other good supporting crap without overloading the deck. I finished the Gate fight with full health and like 600 shield.

I think the biggest thing that made this run click for me is something that was said in a Youtube video I was listening to while falling asleep the other night. The basic advice was to go to the shop as early as possible and take plenty of risks with the Pacts for extra resources. I did that a couple different times this run and it really helped get the ball rolling on the run.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Starting to get the hang of this game, and can pretty reliably kill the pacifist boss with Chrono Saffron or Selicy. Almost there with Violette.

I do alright with any of the big (200+) hits, like Ragnarok, Tri Rag, Cold Stone, with decks that support them. Not so good with a higher number of smaller hits. I spend a lot of time just dodging and lining up the perfect shot I guess.
I had a fun failed run where I got soul gun (upgraded to double cast) in the first world, and was doing clown damage late game.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
If you're trying to kill the gate (which you should be to unlock characters), remember that the individual pieces count as enemy kills when you break them. So windmill slam Mana bottle (3 Mana on enemy death), explosive tendons (enemies explode on death), and whatever it is that leaves a flame on enemy death.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I was wondering where the thread for this game was. I’ve been achievement hunting for outfits so far but soon it’ll be time to just start racking wins.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I've only done a few runs, haven't beaten it yet but I'm enjoying this game so far

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I just had a silly Gunner run get the Gate down to 3000 before losing, mostly thanks to a disastrously bad Saffron fight before it. I got the replacement weapon that fires seeking missiles, I had the artifact that does the same thing, and I had the artifact that makes weapon hits ricochet and hit other enemies. Before I got that put together, I was mostly running a weird poison build because I wanted to try it out.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Gunners main weapon is super good against the gate because it can't miss so you can just cycle all your cards so fast.

I always swap out for the seeking missiles though because they're just so good since you can focus on dodging. And since that shoots your mana regen to basically nil just take everything then that gives you a buff when you shuffle because it's such a huge damage buff.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
My favorite gunner build is still bullet hell and minimal spells. Time stop/slow are hilariously good with the gun, especially against the gate. If you upgrade to restore mana it's even more hilarious. I only take time and consumes.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Yeah, the real issue was I made that switch too late. I honestly would have been better off sticking with the original gun at the time I had the choice, but I'd never gotten to play with the missile gun before and wanted to see what it was like.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ok there was one broken strategy left to beat Hell Pass 14. There's an item called "Transcendence" that sets your max HP to 1 and your shields to 1000. Finding that was the dirtiest possible way to get that stupid achievement.

(shopkeeper actually got a buff between yesterday and today - yesterday she started with 1 sera and now starts with 100 so using your money spell doesn't kill you immediately)

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
When it comes to gun exchanges I definitely prefer the line shot one over the missiles if I'm playing mana fire. Both are good but you can really lay the pain on the gate with line shot.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I knew this build wasn't a good match for the Gate, but I got pretty early Hunter Seeker again, as well as early Viruspell, so I went ahead and got the Solo achievement out of the way. I had the 25% chance of laser when casting a spell, 10% chance of a missile when casting a spell, 50% chance of missile when shooting, and 20 shield on shuffle. Viruspell also had a 25% chance to cause flame and fragile as upgrades. I got to 4500 on the Gate despite the sorta bad matchup before I got overwhelmed again. If only I could have found the time stop or 1 second invincibility on shuffle artifacts, I might've been able to dodge enough hits to pull it off.

Edit: Selicy run through the Gate complete. Just went full Frost and Fire and didn't even bother picking up shield. This time I did find the Pocket Watch, and that helped quite a bit against the Gate.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 11, 2020

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Flow decks can be really, really broken. That one card that hits once for every flow stack and gives you flow stacks per hit ramps up absurdly quickly, especially with a doublecast upgrade. If you use Saffron's chrono loadout you can guarantee most of it'll hit too. That one card plus any random flow cards you happen to find is probably a strong deck, just focus upgrades on it and remove anything without flow.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is the pacifist last boss different if you play Terra?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is the pacifist last boss different if you play Terra?
no. lol.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I'm starting to get better. I have neutral wins with several of the cast, and I picked up a pacifist win pretty easily on a Hazel run. I still need to unlock the alternate loadouts for Hazel, Terra, Shiso, and Saffron's third loadout, but I feel a lot better about my chances to get there quickly.

Edit: Oh wait, I got Shiso's Kunai set from a Genocide run where I died in the next loop trying to kill the Shopkeeper. It's Gunner whose second loadout I still need along with the other three.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 11, 2020

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

welp turns out if you take an artifact that reduces your max hp and you don't have that much max hp left, you just die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Gunner down now that I stopped messing around with the other guns.