Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sing "Yesterday" for Me (Yesterday wo Utatte), is a new anime by Doga Kobo, based on a completed manga of the same name by by Kei Toume. It is directed by Yoshiyuki Fujiwara (New Game! , Plastic Memories), who is also handling series composition alongside Jin Tanaka (Go! Princess Precure, Yuru Camp△) handling the script.

This is a coming-of-age story that follows a university graduate named Rikuo who has not been able to find permanent employment after college, a mysterious woman named Haru who has a pet crow, and Rikuo's former university classmate Shinako.

The show will consist of 18 episodes, and you can legally watch it on Crunchyroll.

Also here's a cute fan tribute by Ilya Kuvshinov.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hoping this will be the first good kei toume series i follow

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Enjoyed the first ep. The muted colour palette and the wistful feel got me.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Julias posted:

This is a coming-of-age story that follows a university graduate named Rikuo

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Uni grads are basically children

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Chas McGill posted:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Started watching because of the crow, will stay because the pacing and atmosphere are what I'm looking for in a show.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Wait, is the Crow a supernatural thing or is this real life and she just literally has a Crow friend?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
glad she got an anime

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

galagazombie posted:

Wait, is the Crow a supernatural thing or is this real life and she just literally has a Crow friend?

Bird pals best pals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeXEzAQBUkY

https://www.youtube.com/user/kacmte/videos

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Chas McGill posted:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Rename the thread Sing "Corvid-19" for Me

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Only two eps in and I'm completely invested in this show.

I knew nothing about what this was based on going in, so when Haru was all "oh, we've met before but you probably don't remember" I was really worried about there being some Key-style shenanigans about her being a dead crow or something. I'm happy that it seems like it's going to be more grounded.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm still on board, but I'd like it if there was some indication of why these women are interested in the protagonist. So far he's had basically no characterisation - I want to know more about his photography etc.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Coxswain Balls posted:

Only two eps in and I'm completely invested in this show.

I knew nothing about what this was based on going in, so when Haru was all "oh, we've met before but you probably don't remember" I was really worried about there being some Key-style shenanigans about her being a dead crow or something. I'm happy that it seems like it's going to be more grounded.

I know I've watched too much anime because the first thing that popped into my head also was "Oh god she's a crow he was nice to as a child or something."

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the show is doing streaming service exclusive scenes not included in the western version, they're just 1-2 minutes long but provide extra details like what the album cover actually was, or more details on the dead kid, so if you want to watch them go to nyaa

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

God drat finally, it's about time.

The credits scene this week is adorable but I'm worried for her if it was just a cute stylized version of what happened in the second half of this episode from her point of view.

Kansuke as an option powerup was the best.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oh come ON.

I felt like Shinako's and Rikuo's friends' the entire episode.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I dig this a lot. At first I was worried that Rikuo wouldn't go anywhere but the cast is moving forward, even if slowly?

I really hope that this begins the era of HanaKana voicing adult characters because her work as Shinako has been great.

I just hope that hipster photographer and Rikuo's ex aren't just one-off characters? Because they looked like so.

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 24, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I want a creditless version of the new ED, the character art looks really nice in it.

The guy leaving the coffee shop who was heading out for Kyushu, is that Haru's boss's boyfriend? I can't remember if he was in a previous episode, but that was sort of the feeling I got from how that scene played out.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

This show is 62% people walking other people home at night

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
This show might be my new go to for explaining the urge to reach into a fictional universe and shake every character until they stop acting ridiculous.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Coxswain Balls posted:

I want a creditless version of the new ED, the character art looks really nice in it.

The guy leaving the coffee shop who was heading out for Kyushu, is that Haru's boss's boyfriend? I can't remember if he was in a previous episode, but that was sort of the feeling I got from how that scene played out.

It seems so, but I had to check Wikipedia to be sure (possible spoilers as there are characters not introduced in the anime yet). It really feels like a scene was dropped.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Nice touch when they were making their orders at the restaurant. Rikuo knew what he wanted right away, Shinako is being indecisive and can't take action. I like you girl but daaaamn.

Poor Haru, I felt so bad for her. Seems like the arcade game credits sequence happened after all. :(

Rou is a punk. I hope he develops some self awareness soon because he keeps acting like a brat.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I feel like there's no way Rikuo doesn't end up with Haru. If only because "Shinako starts dating Rikuo, gets told a bunch to stop considering obligations and do what will make her happy, and then keeps doing what she was doing" would be a very odd narrative.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Sindai posted:

I feel like there's no way Rikuo doesn't end up with Haru. If only because "Shinako starts dating Rikuo, gets told a bunch to stop considering obligations and do what will make her happy, and then keeps doing what she was doing" would be a very odd narrative.

I'm rooting for Haru, but Rikuo switching to her if things with Shinako don't work out wouldn't feel right either.
Especially after what Haru said in the current episode.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I have an extremely bad feeling that, after weeks of 'its dangerous to walk by yourself' and now a break in, Haru walking away by herself and fading out is code for 'and then she was murdered'.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Has anyone read the manga? How was it?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

There isn't nearly enough Kansuke is this show, so here are some crow antics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO5_hWTtFzk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGnOTMuMh7M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7cEfHhBsXA

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Schneider Heim posted:

i wanted it to be over half way through

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

doomisland posted:

i wanted it to be over half way through

I think the only two romance IPs that I enjoyed with content greater than a single cour (where "will-they-won't-they" was the main thrust) were Lovely Complex and Nana.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 17, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Haru's tearful reaction was great. Also, Kansuke ends up saving the day in the end. You go, little buddy.

Was this the final episode? I thought it was supposed to be 18 episodes, but the way it ended is making me think that it was a mistranslation from 12 episodes + 6 shorts. Apparently there's supposed to be more characters from the manga that haven't been introduced yet, but I haven't read it and don't know if this is the ending or what.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Rou is bad and mean to Shinako.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

net work error posted:

Rou is bad and mean to Shinako.

I think this is why I'll be disappointed if this was really the last episode. Shinako's indecisiveness ended up causing people pain, but Rou just flat out sucks because of his immaturity and hasn't shown any form of self-reflection at all throughout the entire series. Rikuo understood how much he hurt Haru and how selfish his actions were and are. Haru accepted that, and got in a gut punch for good measure.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Coxswain Balls posted:

I think this is why I'll be disappointed if this was really the last episode. Shinako's indecisiveness ended up causing people pain, but Rou just flat out sucks because of his immaturity and hasn't shown any form of self-reflection at all throughout the entire series. Rikuo understood how much he hurt Haru and how selfish his actions were and are. Haru accepted that, and got in a gut punch for good measure.

As the adult Shinako should've been able to set the terms much better but also Rou was manipulative and possessive.

I'm torn because I can't decide if this show was good or bad. On the one hand I'm upset with how it ended but on the other hand I'm upset so that means the show was able to get me to care about the characters and keep watching.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Coxswain Balls posted:

Haru's tearful reaction was great. Also, Kansuke ends up saving the day in the end. You go, little buddy.

Was this the final episode? I thought it was supposed to be 18 episodes, but the way it ended is making me think that it was a mistranslation from 12 episodes + 6 shorts. Apparently there's supposed to be more characters from the manga that haven't been introduced yet, but I haven't read it and don't know if this is the ending or what.

I've seen people say that the "6 shorts" were just very small (like a minute) extended bits on a particular streaming platform in japan

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow, someone put a lot of care into Haru's reaction.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
It kind of looks like the final episode, doesn't it? I really hope not!

Honestly, while Rikuo got better, I thought he deserves neither Shinako nor Haru (who is like, underage anyway). Rou is just straight-up cringey and awful.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Schneider Heim posted:

I liked the majority of it, but I'll admit I was kind of exhausted by the time it ended. It's pretty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Shinjobi posted:

I liked the majority of it, but I'll admit I was kind of exhausted by the time it ended. It's pretty!

So was this episode how the manga ended too then?