Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
To me this gives off horrible EU vibes in general. Eww. (EU?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It has some of the same flaws as TROS

This actually shares THE biggest flaw of TROS, that Rey's parents are retconned to have been loving family all along that were murdered rather than heartless deadbeats who discarded her, just tossing away the defining moment in her character arc. It's crazy that of all things somehow this stupid and needless reversal survived the transition from Treverrow to Abrams (I suppose Abrams might have thought that introducing a different evil and lovely family member mitigated it, but he'd be mistaken if so).

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

So I actually read the whole script and it turns out it carries quite a bit of DNA for TROS: the Sith holycron stuff, the planet-destroying Star (uh) Destroyers, Lando coming in with the cavalry of amateurs at the last minute, Kylo turning after Leia whispers his name through the force, him restoring Rey's lifeforce (in this script the last two moments are back-to-back), Rey receiving the psychic support/ encouragement of "everyone" to get back up, it's all here. While ostensibly quite different from what we eventually got, when reading it you can get a feel for how things consolidated and evolved (hilariously, there's a lot of instances where the script describes Rey as she "RISES" in all caps and you can just imagine the lightbulb going off over Abrams' head).

What's most striking to me about the script, though, is that thematically it's so hysterically misguided it would make Star Trek Insurrection blush. The moral of the story essentially boils down to "It's OK to be mad," but in service of this it presents the idea that "balance" in the force means "balance between the light and the dark" - visually represented by dual thrones for a Jedi and a Sith - which is a pretty overly-literal interpretation of the force to begin with, and since the script does NOTHING to dispell the notion that the Jedi are good and just and the Sith are evil bastards, the story all but explicitly argues for the existence and necessity of evil in the universe. At the end Yoda is thanking Rey for showing how the Jedi were too narrow in their views of rejecting the dark side, and somewhere Chancellor Palpatine must be howling his balls off.

It's possible to have a story about not repressing yourself or denying your passions etc., but it would require nuance - ie. there is in fact no such thing as light and dark sides to the force - and instead the script leans in hard on this dichotomy, seemingly oblivious to what it's actually saying.

Also holy cow is Rey wasted here. Throughout the story she learns nothing and becomes nothing - not even a "you know what, I was right along" type of realization, there's absolutely no payoff here. She's exactly the same person she is when we first meet her in TFA only with more Jedi powers, and would once again have to rely exclusively on Daisy Ridley's peculiar screen presence to carry the character.

I'd like to think the above are the reasons Colin Treverow was fired but realistically it probably was some other completely random reason like he hung the toilet paper in the wrong direction in the restroom or pronounced 'insurance' with emphasis on the first syllable like "IN-shur-uns" or something.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Book of Henry

I just googled this and holy poo poo Naomi Watts really needs to fire her agent.