Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You can get some nice biscuits by laminating with chunks of butter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

You can get some nice biscuits by laminating with chunks of butter

Personally I'm not a fan of crisco but it's personal taste. Also laminated biscuits I prefer them on their own but for say biscuits and gravy they're awful. Has to be the right application. Pro biscuit is fluffy, sausage egg and cheese with some strawberry jelly. Another pro is more simple, justy butter and jelly. Mmmm. That and a cup of earl grey and you have a primo breakfast.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I used to just use crisco, now I use crisco, butter, and lard In about equal parts. I’ve done all lard and all butter, but I prefer all lard to all butter. Butter makes tougher biscuits or something in my experience. They’re not bad, they’re just not melt in your mouth tender southern biscuits.

Would make sense as butter is adding water that all lard isn't, which would lead to more gluten development and from there, toughness.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I've lived in the south all of my life but tonight was the first time I cooked my own greens. I had just read this thread and was at the store, so I grabbed some fresh mustard greens. After removing the center rib I washed them a few times in a bowl of water. I threw bacon fat and diced onion into a pot. Added the greens, some chicken stock, seasoned salt, a couple of garlic cloves (slightly smashed), a bit of honey, and 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar. Threw the lid on and cooked for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Fan-loving-tastic.

And I know that Crystal is the real deal hot sauce, but for beans-n-greens of any variety I'll take my Tabasco.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This thread is looking kind of quiet so I'm going to crosspost from the dinner thread.

Chicken-fried steak with cream gravy, a baked potato with some fixings, and fried pickled okra along with some other stuff from that jar like garlic.

Hit like a ton of bricks and was exactly what I needed when I was feeling a little homesick. :texas:

SweetAl13
Jun 4, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a decent recipe for smothered pork chops? I've never made them before, but it seems like the type of stick-to-your-ribs meal that would be perfect as the weather is getting colder.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My family's recipe is trashy but delicious. Cut up a couple onions and brown them in some butter in a Dutch oven. Set the onions aside and sear pork chops. Return onions and juices to the Dutch oven. Add a packet of Lipton onion soup (or two, depending on how much water) and water to cover, plus whatever sounds like a good idea (pepper, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, whatever). Foil, lid, 350° for an hour.

I say pork chops, but growing up we always used to have it with little circles of tenderloin. That's more expensive now, but chops or sliced loin also work fine, whatever's on sale.

If you want to be classier than Lipton's, ATK's recipe (paywalled but available on blogs) has you making a roux.

Either way, I strongly recommend serving it over mashed potatoes. I do 2 lbs red potatoes, 1 head roasted garlic (or 3 cloves raw), 1 stick of butter, small shot of milk/cream. I like mine lumpy, but if you want smooth you could do more dairy. I think baby peas or green beans go well as the veg, but you could do an arugula salad or something.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 26, 2020

SweetAl13
Jun 4, 2015

Grimey Drawer
That sounds perfect. Thank you so much for typing that up. I will report back with my first attempt later this week.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SweetAl13 posted:

Anyone have a decent recipe for smothered pork chops? I've never made them before, but it seems like the type of stick-to-your-ribs meal that would be perfect as the weather is getting colder.
This is my process:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Another way to cook smothered pork chops: get bone in center cut or blade chops 1/2-3/8” thick. Season with salt and pepper, flour lightly and fry them in 1/4” of veg oil until they are nice and brown-you’re just browning them not trying to cook them. Make gravy with the grease in the pan and some flour and chicken stock. Add kitchen bouquet if you feel like it or whatever other seasonings float your boat. A little thyme is nice too. Layer the pork chops with sliced onion and bell pepper in a glass dish and pour the gravy over them or put the peppers/onions and chops back in the pan with the gravy. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 325 for 1.5-2hrs, until you can about eat the pork chops with a spoon. Serve over rice with turnips greens or butter beans or some other vegetable cooked with more pork.

Source: I’m from Alabama
You can also brown the onions before you add the flour and make gravy, but I don’t like the peppers cooked beforehand. You can do it all in a Dutch oven or covered skillet-I only do it in a glass dish if I’m doing it ahead or making it for a big crowd.

E: ‘make gravy’ is doing a lot of work in that recipe-if you need more instruction on how to make gravy I am happy to share!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Also from alabama, that sounds about right

Edit: since I made this lovely post earlier I'll just quote my BBQ post here instead.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Alright finished my first cook in 7 years. Other butt is still resting but I pulled the smaller one.

I had to wrap it before the bark fully set because I was on a time crunch.

We usually pull all the unpleasant chunks of fat out rather than shredding with claws.

Which can leave it a little dry...

Which is easily solved by adding some of the juice from the foil back to it

Yes, I put mayo on my BBQ sandwiches sometimes. Sue me.

Some help from my best friend, 'Sweet Baby' Ray

Finished product. I forgot to make slaw.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 27, 2020

SweetAl13
Jun 4, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Well, the smothered pork chops turned out tremendous. Big hit at my house. I used a bit of the advice from both of the recipes that were posted. I made my own gravy, but I had half a packet of Lipton French Onion Soup mix laying around and threw that in there too.

The whole thing was very rich and delicious, and I will be 350 pounds shortly if I eat like that very often. Thanks again for the advice!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Thank gently caress, 2020 is finally over! :toot: I made a one-pot hoppin john & greens to celebrate the end of the worst year ever! :woop:

bacon
2 big onions
some jalepeno and anaheim peppers
celery
garlic, extra garlic
ham
1 lb black eyed peas (pre-soaked but just for 6ish hours not overnight, so the peas stay firm)
stock & some tomato paste
yellow bell pepper
kale
black pepper & thyme, smoked paprika, bit of tarragon
some white wine vinegar at the end to keep the kale bright and cut through the bacon fat

probably should have some cornbread or something on the side but I played videogames all afternoon rather than do that. maybe tomorrow.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Klyith posted:

Thank gently caress, 2020 is finally over! :toot:

I uh have bad news pal

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

feedmegin posted:

I uh have bad news pal

LA LA LA I'M NOT LISTENING

today is the -20th of January 2021 :colbert:

Klyith fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 13, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anyone have a favorite fried catfish recipe? I haven't done it in a long time. I used to marinade in buttermilk and then dredge but that was kind of heavy and gloppy.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anyone have a favorite fried catfish recipe? I haven't done it in a long time. I used to marinade in buttermilk and then dredge but that was kind of heavy and gloppy.

I have never succeeded to my standards in frying either catfish (or cornmeal breaded tofu after I went veg) or okra , I don't have any idea what the secret is.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I like to marinade mine in lemon juice and salt for 10m or so then dredge in a mix of 1 part yellow mustard, 2 parts beaten egg. Roll into cornmeal seasoned with cayenne and black pepper. Fry till done and top with salt and splash of lemon juice.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Discovering the package of diced ham at the grocery store was the best thing to ever happen to canned green beans

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I ran a good southern restaurant for some years, I'll dredge up my catfish prep and post it when I'm at my computer later.

I've got all kinds of good poo poo if you want it. Cheerwine glaze for crispy brussel sprouts, goat cheese grits, pepper jelly, hot sauce, spice rubs, etc.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 21, 2021

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Please tell me more about these sprouts.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

toplitzin posted:

Please tell me more about these sprouts.

This is my recipe from the restaurant. The regional rep got wind of us using Cheerwine in our cooking and came down to try it, and asked for the recipe to publish online.

https://cheerwine.com/recipes/cheerwine-brussels-sprouts/

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I ran a good southern restaurant for some years, I'll dredge up my catfish prep and post it when I'm at my computer later.

I've got all kinds of good poo poo if you want it. Cheerwine glaze for fried brussel sprouts, goat cheese grits, pepper jelly, hot sauce, spice rubs, etc.

Sounds to me like you should do a cookbook or maybe a YouTube channel, cause that sounds like some good poo poo

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
We actually deep fried our sprouts, but I offered a roasted version for the sake of most home cooks not having a fryer and they used that one.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I've got all kinds of good poo poo if you want it. Cheerwine glaze for crispy brussel sprouts, goat cheese grits, pepper jelly, hot sauce, spice rubs, etc.

Oh drat, yes please. I really enjoyed your A/T thread and would love to get w/e recipes you feel like posting.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Does frozen cut okra work fine in okra and tomatoes? I’ve only ever used fresh.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Does frozen cut okra work fine in okra and tomatoes? I’ve only ever used fresh.

Yeah, it's fine but the texture is mushier. Fresh is best, blanched and frozen at home from fresh is second best IME, and commercially frozen is a little mushier and less flavorful, but still better than no okra.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Notahippie posted:

Yeah, it's fine but the texture is mushier. Fresh is best, blanched and frozen at home from fresh is second best IME, and commercially frozen is a little mushier and less flavorful, but still better than no okra.

Thanks it turned out well. A little tough, might should have gotten the frozen young whole okra and cut it up myself.

Eastern NC style crock pot pulled pork, purple hulls, okra and maters and cornbread:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

mediaphage posted:

Great post!!

I'm glad you like your biscuits but I honestly I don't like using lard in biscuits or pie crusts; the tradeoffs in flavour, for me, aren't worth it. If you keep your butter ice cold and minimally work the dough, I don't find they get tough, but to each their own.

There are lots of ways to approach biscuits (some use cast iron, etc), but I have settled on a simple method that's quick to pound out for weekend lazy breakfasts, most of the time:

2c flour
6 - 8T butter (depending)
3tsp baking powder
1/2tsp baking soda
1c buttermilk
salt to taste

Preheat oven to 425F or 450F.

Mix dry, cut in the butter. Like with pie dough, the key is to keep the butter cold while you work. If you like fluffy biscuits, bring the dough together, pat it out into a rough rectangle, and cut it into 8 squarish pieces. If you like really layer-y biscuits, add more butter and do a few laminations like you might with viennoiserie dough. Then proceed as above. If you like drop biscuits, add another half cup of buttermilk and scoop up rough tablespoons that you push off onto a baking sheet.

I find that biscuits are pretty sensitive to working the dough (especially because I end up using canadian AP flour most of the time, which is pretty hard), so once the dough barely comes together, I turn it out and pat it into a rectangle, then cut. For maximum lift you can trim off a millimetre from every edge but honestly most of the time I don't bother. If you do, you can combine the edge into a single mutant biscuit (using round is traditional but then it leaves you with all this extra dough you have to handle in order to make more biscuits, so I stick to squares).

If you like red lobster like biscuits, make the drop biscuit variant, add a cup of shredded cheese, a half teaspoon of garlic powder, and some chopped herbs.

this recipe slaps, thank you. I did the drop + cheese + Italian seasoning and it was stupid easy to make and cook and clean up and they tasted great. (I half assed everything and it didn't turn to poo poo)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fresh field peas are showing up in my local produce market. I cooked some pink-eyes and zipper peas the other day that were really good with baby squash casserole. They had some good snap beans too so I did snap beans and red potatoes. I don't know what it is about boiling snap beans with potatoes that makes them both taste so much better but dang they're good, no pork required.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
lovely photo (might have been drinking), but a good sandwich

fried chicken, pimento cheese and a quick carrot slaw

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Fresh field peas are showing up in my local produce market. I cooked some pink-eyes and zipper peas the other day that were really good with baby squash casserole. They had some good snap beans too so I did snap beans and red potatoes. I don't know what it is about boiling snap beans with potatoes that makes them both taste so much better but dang they're good, no pork required.

There's a lot of msg to be found in snap peas. Some old hill people types used to smoke them in the chimney and use them as a bacon replacement for flavoring.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Put melted lard in your cornbread instead of oil. It’s good and makes it super crispy. I dunno why, but a little lard in the oil when frying seems to make things crispy too?

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Fun menu at Clermont Fish House, a little under an hour west of Orlando.

platzapS fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 13, 2021

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That's like, the best of British fried fish culture and American fried fish culture all rolled in to one! Need some clam strips and chips with a side of greens now.

This reminds me - a new soul food place just opened in my neighborhood in Vegas, taking over for an old Filipino cafeteria. On the windows they've written words such as "yams", "chitterlings", and "neck bones with rice". I haven't been since they opened, but I'll go soon. All sides $1!

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 13, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I can't get into chitterlings but neck bones are good as heck. I made some neckbone gumbo one time that was amazing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

platzapS posted:

Fun menu at Clermont Fish House, a little under an hour west of Orlando.

A goon in the Florida discord confirmed that this place is run by British expats and that it's a legit chip shop.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

I'll be eating there this weekend, so I'll report back.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

King of False Promises posted:

I'll be eating there this weekend, so I'll report back.

I'll believe it when I see it :colbert:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

If you're in Orlando metro and want a great expat pub, including fish and chips, curry chips, and your Shepard's pie coming with a side of chips, go to St Andrews tavern in Altamonte.

Featuring the smallest bathroom you'll never want to more than piss in.

I miss that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Clermont Fish House was amazing.

Mother in Law had cod:

Wife had haddock:

I had a sausage roll:

The chips were perfect. And the hush puppies were probably the best I've ever had. We also got sticky toffee pudding, but I didn't get a pic of that. Would recommend for sure.