Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I can do the cartoon skeleton too. I would say watch something on youtube that shows how to break it down, then you really only have to do it a handful of times before your fish ends up looking piranhaized. It's easier than breaking down a chicken and the practice is more delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you've only had completely plain grits, that's like having completely plain pasta or oatmeal or a potato. It has everything to do with what you put in it (including an alarming amount of butter) and on it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Did you try ATK's method? You melt the butter, let it cool a minute, then pour into cold buttermilk. The butter turns into tiny bits of slush. The advantage is that you can get all-butter flavor without any risk of overworking it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Imo the way to get a quick dinner is to batch cook on the weekend (or whenever you have time). You can make a bunch of ribs, smothered pork chops, stewed chicken & rice, whatever, and then it's super fast to reheat alongside a vegetable.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
My family's recipe is trashy but delicious. Cut up a couple onions and brown them in some butter in a Dutch oven. Set the onions aside and sear pork chops. Return onions and juices to the Dutch oven. Add a packet of Lipton onion soup (or two, depending on how much water) and water to cover, plus whatever sounds like a good idea (pepper, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, whatever). Foil, lid, 350° for an hour.

I say pork chops, but growing up we always used to have it with little circles of tenderloin. That's more expensive now, but chops or sliced loin also work fine, whatever's on sale.

If you want to be classier than Lipton's, ATK's recipe (paywalled but available on blogs) has you making a roux.

Either way, I strongly recommend serving it over mashed potatoes. I do 2 lbs red potatoes, 1 head roasted garlic (or 3 cloves raw), 1 stick of butter, small shot of milk/cream. I like mine lumpy, but if you want smooth you could do more dairy. I think baby peas or green beans go well as the veg, but you could do an arugula salad or something.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 26, 2020