Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Ham hocks are good. When I was a poor Southern kid, we made a soup with 2-3 smoked ham hocks, a pound of dried black-eyed peas, a chopped onion and some chicken broth or water to fill up the crock pot. Let it simmer for about 8-10 hours or until the meat fell off the bones and about half the peas were soft/falling apart.

It's a very simple, filling soup. The ham hocks we got had plenty of meat, plus the collagen dissolved into the sort of mushed peas, creating a rich, almost creamy broth. I like it with lots of garlic and some hot sauce. The smoked ham hocks are salty af, so I usually never have to salt it. Serve with buttered corn bread for a cheap, easy meal.

I've roasted pork neck bones before, but they are just way too much work for the meat IMO unless you're broke. They're cheap but goddamn the amount of wrestling with the tiny bones doesn't make it worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

Croatoan posted:

pot likker

Also, this is mandatory:

Pot liquor and Trappey's, gently caress that's some good poo poo. Greens aren't worth it without the broth, I swear I could just drink it all day.

As for grits, the only grits I've had that were really good were from some creole restaurant that I'm sure dumped a huge amount of butter, cheese and creole seasoning in them. They were like good mashed potatoes but somehow even better.

I want to make good shrimp n grits one day.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

Red pepper jelly is good for pbjs, too. Or habanero peach jam. Makes it spicy, it's a nice change.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

I. M. Gei posted:

I wish I liked grits.

Every time I’ve ever had them they’re just bland and gritty and nasty, like eating cream of kitty litter soup or some poo poo, but maybe those were all just lovely grits? I’m thinking they’re not supposed to taste like that.

I feel you. I mostly had grits from Cracker Barrel as a kid and they were awful. Just bland and blah. The only time I had good grits was as an adult from a Creole restaurant and they were cooked fine and just doused in butter and seasonings and cheese.

Grits with proper seasoning and cheese are loving fantastic, like mashed potatoes but better. Just, so good. Grits without a fuckton of seasonings and cheese and butter or fats are horrible.