Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Your greens are fine but I really like a vinegary pot likker. I use my instant pot and cook kale greens with country ham pieces and a few glugs of vinegar and cook them for about 4 hours. It helps break down the cellulose and makes the pot likker super green and tasty af. A ham hock is probably cheaper but I like the little bits of ham you get from the country ham.

You should try stone ground grits. I've recently switched over to them over my Jim Dandy quick grits. It only adds maybe 10-15 minutes and the texture is way more robust and creamy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh thank god. The Fiance picked up a bag of Collard Greens from Stop And Shop because it was the only green leafy vegetable left. I don't even know how they got here, this is New Jersey. Who eats collards up here? Despite living in the south for ten years, I never got the trick of making good collards (only really tried twice, something was very swampy and sulfurous about them). Do you have to boil them? We really like stir fried greens, mostly cabbage or spinach.

If you have an instant pot it's a whole other game than what they're saying. The quick and easy in a pan trick is great but you won't get any pot likker. IMO that's where it's at. If you do, do not cut out the ribs and throw them in with about 6-8 cups water, a ham hock or country ham pieces, some salt and minced garlic, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar and let it rip for 1-4 hours depending on how green you want your pot likker.

Also, this is mandatory:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mediaphage posted:

Are you pressure cooking collards for 4 hours???

Yes. I have and they're really good. Well, actually I use kale but you seem to be pearl clutching at the time regardless. No it does not atomize the greens.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 29, 2020

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

My buddy does a big thing new years day and cooks his greens and black eyed peas for like 2 days and they are goooooood. He uses neckbones in the the greens and I think he just crumbles up a pound of jimmy dean sausage in the peas for seasoning.

Yeah the 4 hours under pressure may seem excessive but it mimics a greens recipe I've used for years where they simmer for 24 hours.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Like any other porridge, grits with nothing else are boring af. Butter, cheese, salt & pepper make the dish. Sure, as mentioned chicken stock is a nice upgrade but using milk isn't bad as long as it has some other seasoning for some sort of flavoring. Try them with smoked gruyere and some butter, it's a total game changer. Oh and one other thing, just like with other porridges, the more "instant" you get the shittier they'll be. If it's a packet that takes 1 minute in the microwave, it's not going to be very good. Stone ground grits only take like 10-20 minutes and are soooo much better.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

stinkypete posted:

Anyone have a good red eye grits recipe? I think my Grandpa was cheating with Folgers instant crystals and ham drippings.

I don't because I'm not a fan but honestly when I've seen it done, your Grandpa was about 9/10 the way there, I see why he did it the way he did. I've only seen super strong coffee used to deglaze a country ham pan. I could be wrong and there's some amazing version I don't know of so by all means, someone help this guy.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Honestly that all sounds about right, yeah.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mediaphage posted:

Sausage is always subjective but I like mine to have sage, black pepper, red pepper, mustard seed, anise or fennel seed, salt. Fwiw, I always make sausage gravy by using the rendered fat from the fried sausage for the roux; there's no real need to add extra fat. Since it'll be crumbled, you could probably get away with making a leaner sausage and using some of your tallow, I suppose.

I maintain you should use the maximum amount of butter you can, as it always makes for better tasting biscuits (again, in my opinion). You can easily get away with half and half, though, I'm sure.

Agreed about the fat from the sausage, I was just thinking of a way to use the lard they said they wanted to use. also nah on the anise, I hate the taste but that's like, my opinion man.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
My go to is sauteed in butter with onions but that'd get old after a few times. Roasted is good. Soup is good. Kebabs?

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 21, 2020

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mediaphage posted:

You tell us, how soft are your tomatoes
This is actually pretty true. It won't be as tart but feel it, if it's soft no way. It could still be watery even if it's firm but that's more dependent on the variety of tomato.

That reminds me, if you want fried green tomatoes in the fall and winter, fried tomatillos are really drat good. Meatier too. They're just smaller is all.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 23, 2020

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think it's gonna be fried green tomatoes, bby squash, and maybe some frozen peas or turnip greens tomorrow night. Maybe some biscuits too. It's been forever since I did fried green tomatoes-what's a good technique/recipe? I think I used to dredge in flour, then buttermilk, then cornbread mix and fry, but I can't remember?

That's basically what I do. You can sub panko for cornmeal for extra crunch but I don't always have panko so I usually go traditional. I also add a little garlic powder and maybe cayenne but a lot of folks make a dipping sauce and add that there instead. They're pretty easy and versatile. Try the tomatillos!

Edit: wait, you said cornbread mix. Do you mean Jiffy? I've never done that but I guess it'd be ok but way less crunchy than I like. If you want to use a box of Jiffy just make hoecakes.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 27, 2020

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Man don't dis Jiffy. That poo poo is awesome for zero effort hoecakes for real.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hoecakes are so good. I much prefer them over regular old pancakes. Crepes, I still like equally but pancakes are just so boring for as many calories are in them.

Back to gritchat, I added too much pepper to mine today and now they suck. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

You can get some nice biscuits by laminating with chunks of butter

Personally I'm not a fan of crisco but it's personal taste. Also laminated biscuits I prefer them on their own but for say biscuits and gravy they're awful. Has to be the right application. Pro biscuit is fluffy, sausage egg and cheese with some strawberry jelly. Another pro is more simple, justy butter and jelly. Mmmm. That and a cup of earl grey and you have a primo breakfast.