Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I find it rather sad that the only substantial difference between Zak and Vic Mignogna is the country they were able to sue in, but Vic got laughed out of the courtroom while a lovely medieval system rewarded rapist Zak.

The sad fact is that the UK itself, which had such a terrible libel system that was basically designed to let rich people ruin the lives of anyone who said mean things about them, recognised things had gotten out of hand and tightened itself up back in 2013. Zak's crap wouldn't fly here any more. But I guess the reforms hadn't been copied by the other Commonwealth countries.

Yes, time to donate to Mandy's defence fund again. She's probably in a grim place just now. And support Ettin, he's been backed into a corner and probably could use a helping hand to climb out.

Also since the UK has a statutory defence of "honest opinion" I wish to opine that based on his documented history of terrible behaviour and the repeated credible accusations against him, it is my firm opinion that Zak S is less worthy of life than the great mass of fecal bacteria that would have been sprayed out of his body during the alleged incident that may or may not have taken place in a chicken restaurant in 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

GreenMetalSun posted:

I'm Canadian and even I don't understand this, really. How was he able to sue in Canada? Are Facebook/Twitters's servers here or something?

Several possibilities, but the most likely is simply that Ettin is not in a financial position to fly over to Canada (or hire a Canadian lawyer) to raise the argument that it has no jurisdiction. Entering a defence costs money; taking a case to trial costs even more money.

If no defence is filed then the court may have no choice but to grant the claimant the eleventy-bazillion dollars he demands as a judgement in default. Presented with that alternative (and with the risk of the Australian courts recognising a Canadian judgement) I cannot blame Ettin for taking a route out that does not leave him bankrupt.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Kai Tave posted:

I'm willing to sign a sworn affidavit that Zak S can go gently caress himself

Will you do it "under penalty of perjury" ?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The sockpuppets are out in force on Twitter. I suspect Zak is discovering his Hilarious Move hasn't actually exonerated him or re-opened any doors.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
A thought. Zak's tactics against Ettin are very clearly designed to cause maximum shame and humiliation and drive him out of communities that supported him in the past. I would imagine the terms of the settlement (probably themselves under NDA and subject a no-disparagement clause) require this post to stay up for a certain number of weeks. Zak almost certainly hopes Ettin will be too humiliated to return after that.

gently caress that. Ettin, if you're reading this at all, this thread should hopefully make it clear just how much contempt the goons have for the Pantshitter-General. You've been the target of a vile piece of litigation through no fault whatsoever of your own. We want you back.