Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
person 1: (makes a statement on a political position)
person 2: that's fair.

Also the braindead dorks who say "hellworld" or "the worst timeline".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

GalacticAcid posted:

Oh man I’m guilty as sin on this one...gonna work to purge it from my usage.

Your friends will thank you. I thank you.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

cool dance moves posted:

I gotta purge that too. Usually I use it as a polite way to say "I understand your point and while i dont agree with it I also dont care enough to challenge it". What are some good alternatives?

Anything tailored to the situation. If someone says something sincerely and you don't agree with it you have plenty of options. "I disagree because" "Yes, but" or just plain silence. It also assumes that people want to be told "it's okay to have that opinion" which is insulting.

Uncle Wemus posted:

go home X, you're drunk

This works too.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
It's only really going on on SA rn but it's blatantly political: "I don't want to re litigate [X]"

An honest person would just say they didn't want to talk about something, but they've got to impress all the people dimmer than themselves (who also learned the word the same way and abuse it in the same fashion).

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

PMC as referring to white collar workers/the business class, the conceit being that the work is so despicable it requires an acronym so distantly removed from humanity as to instantly make your eyes glaze over

In any case this abbreviation already belongs to Private Military Contractor, loving idiots

This is new to me because I never knew what the abbreviation meant either way. So thanks.

Just FYI, an acronym has to be pronounced as a word. Funnily enough, I was looking up some text shorthand the other day and thefreedictionary didn't know the difference between acronyms and abbreviations.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Jewel Repetition posted:

Satire requires a clarity of purpose and target lest it be mistaken for and contribute to that which it intends to criticize

Don't forget, it has to "punch up, not down".

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Snowy posted:

but pmc is an initialism

Well gently caress. This is why I can't work at a reputable dot com dictionary.

Linux Nazi posted:

also when pundits insist on prefixing anything they say with “listen, “.

Oh my god.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

GalacticAcid posted:

possessive truth

as in, "speaking his truth" or "making my truth known"

Oh man, haven't heard that one. Sounds like the people who mistake speaking your piece with your "peace". As in, people who don't know the expressions they are using.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Finicums Wake posted:

'deep state'

Nails on a chalkboard.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

:negative:

Taintrunner posted:

“chud” is played out at this point. it really doesn’t mean anything anymore.

It never did.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

it’s the sound of your brain breaking but not the onomatopoeia of it, there’s gotta be an easier and cooler way to express that sentiment

Sadly, we cannot trust the people who memed "crack ping" to come up with anything better.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
"Speaking as a [insert identity-marker]..."

People will do this to you as a way to argue from authority, even if they don't know you. For instance someone can say "Speaking as a gay man..." and then deliver their sermon to a person who for all they know, is gay. It's a (really lovely) way to steamroll a conversation and turn it into something about themselves.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
"I have some bad news for you about..."

Shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY