Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
I signed up as a biden delegate for the laughs.

I'll walk out before I vote for him tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I have a call today to discuss which Biden applicants can fill the slots available for our township. Any advice?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PerniciousKnid posted:

I have a call today to discuss which Biden applicants can fill the slots available for our township. Any advice?

If you're not running, vote for / support the leftest ones.

If you're running, my personal pitch is something along the lines of "in the coalition Biden's building we also need younger, gayer, onliner people with more of an understanding of the travails millennials and zoomers are facing and blah blah blah". helps that sub-35 and LGBT are both categories the party is explicitly privileging in all levels of delegate selection; if you're also a racial minority all the better

if you can identify a signature issue you like that speaks to your township's dems, all the betterer; your objective isn't just to say good things, it's to set yourself apart from other candidates who might be mouthing the same platitudes

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
If I was running to be a Warren delegate I would definitely mention that I'm technically a quarter Hispanic.

Unfortunately all my favorite political issues are probably unpopular with the old people likely to be on the call.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Well there's 6 slots for 8 candidates for the state convention, but it seems like there's a lot of candidates for the national convention so I don't rate my chances on that one.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I went to the Illinois website and I'm pretty sure ours are all chosen by machine?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

I went to the Illinois website and I'm pretty sure ours are all chosen by machine?

Yeah you had to have gotten on the primary ballot for a candidate way back in like December, they were all elected during the March 17th primary. If you’re a double or triple minority (like a black trans 18 year old lesbian) in good with like Durbin or Madigan or something you’d be nominated at the county chair convention or something like that to fill any gaps but the time for unaffiliated delegate at-large is long past.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
https://twitter.com/howiehawkins/status/1264541909911044098?s=21

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I...think you are in the wrong thread friend.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

friendbot2000 posted:

I...think you are in the wrong thread friend.

Even if they weren’t, it’s as much a waste of a post as it is a waste of a vote. If you have to do something, writing in Bernie Sanders is 100x less pathetic than choosing to vote for the loving green candidate like an anti-vaxxer

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Ok Comboomer posted:

Even if they weren’t, it’s as much a waste of a post as it is a waste of a vote. If you have to do something, writing in Bernie Sanders is 100x less pathetic than choosing to vote for the loving green candidate like an anti-vaxxer

The anti vaxx poo poo will do a lot of harm and you should consider writing in Malcolm X instead.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

The anti vaxx poo poo will do a lot of harm and you should consider writing in Malcolm X instead.

No worse than either party sadly.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

Ok Comboomer posted:

In some states, like Arizona, write-in candidates are not allowed for the presidential vote. Given no choices you like for president, you can still vote downticket for lower positions where your vote has a more direct effect.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

edit: this is not the thread I thought I was reading

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Texas Convention quasi-starts tomorrow, with a whole big pile of online panels.

Edit: actual convention (ie, mostly speeches since we got the convention business of votes and committees and such out of the way over the past week virtually :v: ) live this evening and tomorrow at 10am: https://www.facebook.com/TexasDemocraticParty/live/

PerniciousKnid posted:

Posting from the state con. Go Joe!

:3:

How's the (Missouri?) convention? Pretty well organized? Ours was MOSTLY done well, with a few technical complications for voting and such - but we had enough run-up time to the convention that they were fixable.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 14, 2020

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Greg12 posted:

I signed up as a biden delegate for the laughs.

I'll walk out before I vote for him tho

Convention is still two months and at least (very optimistic) 1.2 million corona virus infections away. Likely way more.

I really don't think it's unlikely that one or both of Trump and Biden will come down with it by the end of summer, let alone by the election. The convention might be wide upon.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Posting from the state con. Go Joe!

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

What? If the greens get 5 percent they get funding, which will force the dems to move leftwards in order to capture those votes again. It's a much better use of time and energy than writing in bernie

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
This is the convention thread not the protest vote thread.

I attended the state convention. As a mere state delegate I didn't get to make a speech about the evils of capitalism, but I did get to cast votes as a Biden delegate for progressive POC for DNC. So, lol I guess.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Delegate candidates are chosen by the campaign for the candidate they want to be a delegate for, but getting your petitions is on you and you alone (or your organization if you're an elected official/political person). Then, you have to be elected as a delegate for that candidate in the primary election..

That's not "being chosen by the machine."

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

NomChompsky posted:

Delegate candidates are chosen by the campaign for the candidate they want to be a delegate for, but getting your petitions is on you and you alone (or your organization if you're an elected official/political person). Then, you have to be elected as a delegate for that candidate in the primary election..

That's not "being chosen by the machine."

Only a certain number of delegates are elected, and if you are chosen by a given candidate to be a delegate for them they absolutely help you get signatures for the ballot, usually at the same time they're gathering signatures for the candidate to be on the ballot. The rest are indeed chosen by the party, based on certain criteria to make sure they have a very diverse number of candidates (there's a bit of a point system and things like being LGBT+, POC, young (under 30) female etc will make it more likely you're chosen).

They did a whole presentation about it way back in September with a powerpoint presentation and everything.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Oracle posted:

Only a certain number of delegates are elected, and if you are chosen by a given candidate to be a delegate for them they absolutely help you get signatures for the ballot, usually at the same time they're gathering signatures for the candidate to be on the ballot. The rest are indeed chosen by the party, based on certain criteria to make sure they have a very diverse number of candidates (there's a bit of a point system and things like being LGBT+, POC, young (under 30) female etc will make it more likely you're chosen).

They did a whole presentation about it way back in September with a powerpoint presentation and everything.

Not quite, it's the other way around. If you apply with the campaign to be a delegate for their candidate, they expect you not only to get your own signatures but also to circulate signatures for them to get on the ballot. The only "Help" that you're really getting from "them" is less direct help and more that your name isn't going to be on a petition sheet alone, but with a slate of delegates chosen by the campaign/candidate. So, you're aided a bit in that those people are also circulating your petition sheet, as well as you helping them by circulating your own. You're also circulating a separate sheet for the candidate. I've organized two of these petition drives.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

NomChompsky posted:

Not quite, it's the other way around. If you apply with the campaign to be a delegate for their candidate, they expect you not only to get your own signatures but also to circulate signatures for them to get on the ballot. The only "Help" that you're really getting from "them" is less direct help and more that your name isn't going to be on a petition sheet alone, but with a slate of delegates chosen by the campaign/candidate. So, you're aided a bit in that those people are also circulating your petition sheet, as well as you helping them by circulating your own. You're also circulating a separate sheet for the candidate. I've organized two of these petition drives.

I don’t see how this contradicts what I said? More than just you alone are circulating your petition, everyone collecting signatures for the candidate to get on the ballot is also circulating the slate of names of delegates at the same time, as are you, vs you just trying to get 500 signatures all on your lonesome. At least that’s how it happened in the various county campaigns I was involved in. (We also circulated various local candidates petition drives too).

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Oracle posted:

I don’t see how this contradicts what I said? More than just you alone are circulating your petition, everyone collecting signatures for the candidate to get on the ballot is also circulating the slate of names of delegates at the same time, as are you, vs you just trying to get 500 signatures all on your lonesome. At least that’s how it happened in the various county campaigns I was involved in. (We also circulated various local candidates petition drives too).

I interpreted what you said as suggesting that the candidate's campaign is going to direct resources to helping you get your signatures, which lol absolutely not, never, no fuckin' way.. In fact, more often they ask you to send your own people to help them out with stuff. So, for example, most of the campaigns asked their delegate candidates to send some of their own people to go help out in Iowa.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

NomChompsky posted:

I interpreted what you said as suggesting that the candidate's campaign is going to direct resources to helping you get your signatures, which lol absolutely not, never, no fuckin' way.. In fact, more often they ask you to send your own people to help them out with stuff. So, for example, most of the campaigns asked their delegate candidates to send some of their own people to go help out in Iowa.

Lol ok we are operating in different universes here no delegates have ‘people’ down here they’re just party loyalists who could afford to drop a few grand or for the lesser known presidential candidates just anyDem that thought it might be fun to go to the convention and not even necessarily supporters of that candidate (looking at you, Klob, whose campaign was literally begging people to be on her delegate slate).

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Oracle posted:

Lol ok we are operating in different universes here no delegates have ‘people’ down here they’re just party loyalists who could afford to drop a few grand or for the lesser known presidential candidates just anyDem that thought it might be fun to go to the convention and not even necessarily supporters of that candidate (looking at you, Klob, whose campaign was literally begging people to be on her delegate slate).

Makes sense. Where I'm at state rep. races can cost a million dollars and winning even local poo poo means having a minor coalition of local assholes. Fuckin' wild.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I'll unsticky this thread on July 12, on the theory that

- Based on the ones I dug through, filing for state conventions generally happens at latest a bit after the primary, which will have taken place in 49 states plus Puerto Rico and other territories by then, and relatedly
- gently caress Connecticut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold