Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Hey, it’s Chickam time again, and this is our 12th year, yay!

You can watch the hatch, with sound and chat, here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7ICWyIMhWSp0UUJpAeTCw/live

What The Hell Is *Chickam* You Ask?
Why it’s a live webcam feed of baby chicks hatching in my ReptiPro incubator, in my dining room! After the hatch, we’ll move the cam to the brooder box for the next 8 weeks, it will run 24/7, with sound, so you can watch the chicks grow up! You will also hear our family, since the chicks are taking over my dining room for the next 8 weeks.

If you have a question, fire away!

Hope everyone is ready for some hot chick action, ‘cause we’ve got eggs pipped and chicks on the way…

How Many?
This year, we started with 36 in the incubator, a variety of standard and bantam sizes, some from our flock, some from a neighbot who has buff Brahmas and white Leghorns all running together!

For some reason we had a high rate of fertile eggs that simply never developed. So now, we have for sure 7 embryos, with 4 more that are iffy due to the shells being too dark to see through when I candled them—so a possible hatch of 11, though it will likely be less than that. Mother Nature ultimately makes the call and sometimes pulls the plug at the last minute. Bantam eggs like to hatch several days earlier then the usual incubation period of 21 days, we have one egg that pipped (the chick pecked an airhole) already. Little bastards.

Will There Be A Mama Hen This Year?
MAYBE. Right now only 3 banty (small) hens in our flock have gone broody (gone over to the Dark Side and are in killer mama mode). One of them is Darling, a really tiny banty hen. Several mama hens would tend to fight over the chicks, so we’d only be able to use one hen for a foster mom. BUT--if all the eggs hatch, there may be too many chicks for one bantam hen, and when this happens mama gets pissy and can peck/hurt the chicks. So if roughly 7 or fewer chicks hatch, YES we can try to introduce a broody hen, if MORE than that hatch, no mama, sorry. Hopefully we can get the kids a foster mom, because watching a mama hen interact with her chicks is a blast. And no, broody hens don’t care if she laid those eggs or not, all she cares about is OMG CHICKS.

What’s With The Missing Sequential Numbers Of Eggs?
I candled (shined a bright light through each egg in a darkened room to see if there was an embryo inside) the eggs 10 days in and removed some duds, that’s why you’ll see a break in the number sequence of the eggs.

In addition to being numbered, each egg is marked with an X on one side and an O on the other, this is for us to keep track of which egg was turned every time we turned the eggs—5 times a day for three weeks, by the way.

What’s Taking So Long?! And ICK!
Patience, little one. When chicks hatch they pip first, then hours later start to ‘unzip’ their shell (peck in a line as they rotate in the shell) then finally kick free all at once. It’s hours of waiting with a sudden payoff at the end, but once they start to unzip they can be out of the shell in anywhere from 1 hour to 20 minutes to 5 minutes later. And YES, they are icky and slimy and lay around like wet noodles when they first hatch, don’t worry they get cute and fluffy as they dry and get stronger. Also hatched chicks can be quite rough and step on each other, or flip over onto their backs and have trouble righting themselves—they’ll be okay, no damage is done; so don’t worry. Once dry and strong we move them and the cam to the brooder box, where mama will be installed overnight if we can use one this year.

I’ll list the eggs that have pipped and hatched here, with their progress and names:

#1—
#3—
#4—Pipped 4/10 9PM, hatched 4/11 at 8PM, named 'Boombox' by Fashionably Great.
#7—
#8—(Neighbor's egg) Pipped 4/9 11PM, hatched at 3:15PM, named 'Bobbie'
#9—
#10—Pipped 4/9 3AM, hatched at 6:40PM, named 'Carrie'.
#25—
#26—
#32—Pipped 4/8 11PM, hatched at 9:30AM 4/10, named 'Rapunzel'.
#36—Pipped 4/9 3:45PM, 4/10 Died 3:30PM

Chickam Phase Two courtesy of Uptown Bus and her hidden nest
Seven eggs at the start, Bus broke one, leaving 2 large eggs, 4 bantam eggs
Bantam egg hatched 5/26 10PM, named 'Caramel'
Large egg hatched 5/27 2PM, named 'Downtown Taxi' by Spoggerific

BTW—please keep the YouTube chat CLEAN. Lots of kids watch Chickam every year, likely moreso this year than ever. We have zero tolerance for over-the-top bad language, racism, hate or other things of that nature and will kick & ban anyone not being a decent human being.

NOW FOR THE BEST PART: YOU GUYS GET TO NAME THE CHICKS!
Post your name suggestions here, ONE per Goon, please--be advised we already have chickens named things like ‘Dinner’, ‘Burger’, etc.--so use your imagination and give us some good/weird/fun chicken names! These are CHICKENS after all, and should have silly names. As each chick hatches we will draw a name for it out of a hat!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathCrabForCutie
Jul 14, 2019
oh fuc-
:3: !

Name one Sebastian. It's a dignified name.

When he grows up he can be Sebastian Bawk

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

#10 is out! One of those 'pipped to popped' chicks, a VERY quick hatch!

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

gently caress yeah chickam!!
Name : Peckerina

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
What a great time for Chickam! Let's throw "Ping" into the hat 'o names

edit: the link in the OP takes you to a stream from last year rather than the livestream

AF fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 10, 2020

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Always love that Chickam time of year. I'll toss Peepcorn into the hat.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Gobbler Escobar

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Fluff Bagwell

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sisqo

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Chet

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Yes something fun to look at mindlessly all day long!!

please name a chicken Bucky Badger, ty

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

AF posted:

What a great time for Chickam! Let's throw "Ping" into the hat 'o names

edit: the link in the OP takes you to a stream from last year rather than the livestream

Oops! sorry about that, fixed it.

And we've already had a 'Ping', sorry! Choose again!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

i would like you to name a chicken "Paul Allen"

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Hell yeah! I submit Lu Bu As I do every year, just in case.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Like every year, I nominate Dave Cluckstain

:megadeath:

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Oops! sorry about that, fixed it.

And we've already had a 'Ping', sorry! Choose again!

drat, guess I should have seen that coming after 13 years. Let's go with Quirky Purple then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyn6g6JFkIY

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

gonna suggest that one gets named Absolute Madlad

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm going to suggest Nibbles.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Asdrubal Cabrera

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Chickbyob

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Asdrubal Cabrera

I miss baseball :(

Gonna go with Robert Muldoon

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
SON OF EGG

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
Cluckintine

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
just tuned in, #36 is rocking pretty good right now

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Submitting "Marvelous Chickster" to the naming pool.

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012
Once again, throwing Omelette into the name pile.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Yay Chickam!

The name I put forward to the pool is Speedy .

Squidder
Mar 19, 2003

King of the Cat Tree

Oven Wrangler
Has there been a Taters? If so then can I suggest the alternate Possum?

Thank you for putting up with us all these years!

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Tarzan is a good strong name.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

This is my first chickam. Can you submit names? Or is it a :justpost: thing?

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
uh, please check on the chick

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Piss Meridian posted:

uh, please check on the chick

Bout 5 minutes ago he scratched his right wing. Poor little dude.

edit: I rewound, seems he got it caught in the gap between the fan and the wall. It doesn't LOOK too deep but he was just born like a few hours ago so you never know.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 10, 2020

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
In honor of being locked inside, I propose the name:

Rapunzel

runners-up:
A pair: Corona, and Lyme
Buffalo
MSM (Mechanically separated meat)
Don Cheeto

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

syntaxrigger posted:

This is my first chickam. Can you submit names? Or is it a :justpost: thing?

Yep, one name submission per Goon, drawn out of a hat.

Hoping the little one that has cut itself ends up okay :ohdear: . I will submit Senor Floofypants, if that hasn't been done before!

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
might I propose Carrie for the newborn?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Piss Meridian posted:

might I propose Carrie for the newborn?

Oh lordy, I think we pretty much have to do this. I jokingly called her Manson, but that's a little too real-world gruesome. Mopping up that much blood on the first day of hatch is a first.

#10 is OK, she just caught a wingtip feather on something and decided to paint the walls (and her siblings) with blood. I got out my jar of chicken leak-stop and fixed her.

On the plus side, #8 has pipped, and was peeping angrily as I cleaned blood off it's shell.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Omelette, Tater and Senor Floofypants have all been used, choose again!

Omelette was a chick years ago, Tater Tot Hotdish is currently terrorizing the flock (and is mother to Marble and Mothball) and Weedcat's full name was: Weedcat, His Majesty King Fluffypants/Floofypants.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

Velvet Sparrow posted:

...all been used, choose again!

Weedcat's full name was: Weedcat, His Majesty King Fluffypants/Floofypants.

I had no idea about Weedcat's full name! In that case, will be proposing The Claw

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Spartacus :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

In honor of the holiday I'm currently celebrating and also my habit of giving my stardew chickens jewish food names, one chick should be named Matzah Ball