Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

CJacobs posted:

By the way Velvet Sparrow, I would advise putting this link in the OP instead of a direct video link. The one linked in this post will always direct to the current live page instead of an archive if the stream stops for any reason.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7ICWyIMhWSp0UUJpAeTCw/live

Nifty, thank you!

My next-door neighbor has decided that TODAY must be the day she takes a chainsaw to her craptacular elm trees and cut them back. Hopefully to the ground, I hate the damned things. Anyway, pardon any chainsaw noise that comes through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Please name one Retribution thankyou.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My suggestion this year is Chipper.

I get the sense someone's likely already suggested it though so if that's taken than I'll go with my old standby of Toobie (pronounced 'tubey').

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

#32, the little fluffy-faced red/gold chick with the cool eyeliner...is named Rapunzel by CrazyLittle!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

#8 is one of our neighbor's eggs, she is either a full buff Brahma or a Brahma/white Leghorn mix, time will tell.
Her name is 'Bobbie'!

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I love how exhausted chicks look immediately after hatching.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Welp...sad to say that #36 had died after pipping. She hadn't finished absorbing her yolk, this was just one of those times when Mother Nature, for whatever reason, put a halt to it. Nothing I could have done.

With no new pips on the rest of the eggs, we're probably done with the hatch. It seems the incubator accidentally getting turned off for a few hours did adversely affect the development of the chicks. :( I'll leave the eggs in the incubator for three days just in case, and will keep a very close eye on them.

We may run another batch of eggs set to hatch in 4 weeks, we'll see. I'll keep the list of name suggestions.

BUT--with only three chicks, that means Darling can be foster mom!
We'll bring her in tonight and introduce the chicks under her once it's full dark, so we can sneak them under her in the dark--a better chance of her accepting them, if she wakes up in the morning and--ta da!--she's got chicks! Since she's a first year hen and a first time broody, we'll watch her to make sure she's being a proper mom. Any sign of chick abuse and she's fired.

But the day before we started the cam, the kid brought her in and showed her the eggs...and she got ALL excited. :)

Couldn't resist testing Darling, so the kid brought her in and showed her the chicks.

She approved, and there was much broody mom growling!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 11, 2020

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."
Sorry to hear that things didn't go as well as they could have this year. Crossing fingers that Darling steps up to the plate.
Go Darling!
(Unless she starts being a piece of poo poo, in which case, uhh, stop Darling!)

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Throwing moose into the ring in case there’s new chicks in 4 weeks

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Rapunzel seems to have quite the alpha personality

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Awww, yay broody mom tho! I'd love to watch another hatch because of course I would, so I hope that happens.

Nutella
Jun 27, 2005

"And the meek shall inherit the earth"
Please name one Peart after the late Neil Peart of Rush

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

OK, taking the cam down for a bit while we move everything to the brooder box.

When it comes back up, there will be sound but everything will be in the dark, as mama and babies adjust to each other. When the sun comes up tomorrow, they should be a family!

If for whatever reason Darling tries to hurt the chicks, we'll remove her and it'll be just the chicks. Fingers crossed!

EDIT: Darling didn't work out, she wouldn't sit on the babies, kept walking away. So they have a stuffed duck to cuddle against. Club Flamingo is open for business!

BUT! When I moved the chicks and checked the eggs, I found that #4 has pipped! It's another one of the neighbor's eggs. We're not moving the cam back and forth, so the cam will stay on the chicks.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 11, 2020

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Velvet Sparrow posted:

#32, the little fluffy-faced red/gold chick with the cool eyeliner...is named Rapunzel by CrazyLittle!

:woop:

Now lock her up in a tower for 18 yrs

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Velvet Sparrow posted:

BUT! When I moved the chicks and checked the eggs, I found that #4 has pipped! It's another one of the neighbor's eggs. We're not moving the cam back and forth, so the cam will stay on the chicks.

Yay!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Chickam!!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Why it’s a live webcam feed of baby chicks hatching in my ReptiPro incubator, in my dining room!
It occurs to me that although it might have been intended for lizards or snakes the brand name works because chickens are also reptiles.

e: In case of more chickens, I wish for one to be named Maammo.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 11, 2020

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The chicks are looking good this morning, active and perky. They've got electrolyte water to drink, and are pecking at food.

#4 is still alive, I just checked and she's not done with draw-down yet so isn't quite ready to hatch. I'll continue to watch her. No other new pips.

A few pictures!
To give you an idea of the layout, since you don't see all of it on the cam. Here's the brooder box (PVC/Hardware cloth lid not shown), the hardware cloth window continues around the side of the box for about a foot so the chicks can see out (and watch TV). You can see the cam attached to a cinder block through the window. The laptop running Chickam is outside the box on the left.

Inside the brooder box. Food/water on the right, flamingo lamp and duckie pillow in the middle. Camera at bottom left.

Chicks! Better pics of individual chicks forthcoming today or tomorrow. Left to right: Bobbie (her chicken butt, anyway), with her head shoved under the duck, Carrie (dark chick) and Rapunzel.

Better pic of Carrie on the left, Rapunzel and her fluffy cheeks on the right.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 11, 2020

cnut
May 3, 2016

Squab! :neckbeard:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

With only a bit of help, #4 has hatched! A very large yellow chick, she will likely stay in the incubator until tomorrow morning, we'll choose a name for her then.
No other eggs have pipped, but as before, they'll stay in the incubator.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Chickams! I always have the urge to refer to any sort of chickens (either living or food) as chickams. :kimchi:

Gonna suggest Señor Stinkbutt as a name because I am terribly mature and it's the first non-food name that came to mind.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
I had to come back just to give a chicken name.

Tossing Kriemhild GretcHen, or GretcHen for short.

Also, how is Queen Elizabeak?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^ I'm sorry to have to tell you, but Queen Elizabeak died March 2019 at 6 years old. No obvious cause or illness, we just found her gone one morning. :(

Under the bill of Mama Stuffed Duck has become THE place to hang out--Bobbie started it, and now they all want to cram in there. Here you can *just* see Bobbie's little tail stub sticking out.

No new pips on the rest of the eggs, and #4 is still in the incubator--but getting stronger, as soon as she's up and off her hocks she and her gigantic feet can join the others in the brooder.

Her name, by the way, is 'Boombox', by Fashionably Great!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

All hail Boombox!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Boombox has been added to the brooder, along with their first ear of corn...they'll take a while to work up the courage to approach the corn, but once they discover it, it'll just be the best thing, EVER.

No new pips on the remaining eggs, it appears the hatch is done at 4 chicks. We did run to two local feed stores yesterday to see if they had any chicks available, but as expected they were sold out...

...that's right, people are panic-buying and hoarding chickens, now. One of the feed stores said they got 120 Production Reds in, they were sold out by the end of the day.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Boombox has been added to the brooder, along with their first ear of corn...they'll take a while to work up the courage to approach the corn, but once they discover it, it'll just be the best thing, EVER.

First read that as you put an actual boom box in your brooder. Which immediately raises the question of the musical taste of chickens.

Your corncob story reminds me of the first time I introduced it to my girls. Nugget was in the coop, and since she usually got shoved aside by Kennedy, I thought I'd give her a treat. Nope. She was "WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT THING!?!?!? GET IT AWAY FROM ME!!!" while pressed as far away as possible in the corner. Cluckface hopped into the doorway, bawked and NOPEd right back out. Once off the cob the corn was welcomed, but jeez, poor Nugget.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
VS - don't want to sound rude but what would you need to get your stream up to a higher resolution or bitrate like 720p or 1080p?

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

^^^ I'm sorry to have to tell you, but Queen Elizabeak died March 2019 at 6 years old. No obvious cause or illness, we just found her gone one morning. :(

Awwww. Well, it was a lovely years for her I'm sure. Hopefully there were some little prince and princess chicks from her somewhere out there.

And also, hopeful Kriemhild GretcHen will be the next in the line.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
With a name like "Boombox" there's no way they won't be either The Loudest Rooster, or The Most Opininated Hen ever.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Neddy Seagoon posted:

With a name like "Boombox" there's no way they won't be either The Loudest Rooster, or The Most Opininated Hen ever.

or this maybe :rudebox:

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

CrazyLittle posted:

VS - don't want to sound rude but what would you need to get your stream up to a higher resolution or bitrate like 720p or 1080p?

lol I will admit I thought about this too. I assume the webcam is from the very first Chickam which is charming and the look has a certain characteristic about it, but the resolution is obviously antiquated, easily gets blown out by bright lights, and the low frame rate is very obvious when the chicks are teleporting across the frame. but honestly I'm kinda down with the idea of running with this webcam to get that "Chickam" look/experience

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe
*rushes into room breathing heavily*
Chick (From Broodweb)
Oh bugger

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.

CrazyLittle posted:

Several things to consider here. The primary problem right now is, since the entire state is in lockdown and there are probably 10x the people normally online streaming Netflix, Prime, gaming etc in our area, our little node is buried in traffic. We're not in a major metropolitan area, so bandwidth is at a premium. Second consideration is that we're using our daughter's Dell laptop with an AMD A9 processor when ideally we would be using something more along the lines of a Ryzen 5 3600 processor. I've looked into buying a new laptop, but $$$. But again, the primary problem is traffic. I had to set the bitrate at 1000 k to stop the buffering.

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.

AF posted:

lol I will admit I thought about this too. I assume the webcam is from the very first Chickam which is charming and the look has a certain characteristic about it, but the resolution is obviously antiquated, easily gets blown out by bright lights, and the low frame rate is very obvious when the chicks are teleporting across the frame. but honestly I'm kinda down with the idea of running with this webcam to get that "Chickam" look/experience

The camera is a Logitech 920c and is capable of 1080p output. Problem is, I can't ram that much data through our node reliably.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

...that's right, people are panic-buying and hoarding chickens, now. One of the feed stores said they got 120 Production Reds in, they were sold out by the end of the day.

On the bright side you might be able to get some free chicks when people realize it takes effort to raise chickens.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo 1Mbps is totally acceptable given the resolution of the stream. The framerate is the only issue but I have a feeling it might be the camera pushing too hard, not just the bandwidth. The reason I say this is...

12_String posted:

The camera is a Logitech 920c and is capable of 1080p output. Problem is, I can't ram that much data through our node reliably.

I have this same webcam, I use it for streaming! I might be able to help you get the framerate more stable if you'd like to try. Feel free to PM me if you're interested, if not it's no big deal because the quality is good enough as is I think.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 13, 2020

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^ Thank you! I relayed your offer to 12_String, he's the tech behind Chickam. :)

McStabby posted:

On the bright side you might be able to get some free chicks when people realize it takes effort to raise chickens.

That's what makes me cringe. Can't count the number of times I've heard, "Well, three months ago we got 12 chicks, they were so cute and fluffy! Then a raccoon walked into our half-assed, poorly built chicken coop made of tissue paper and good intentions, and we found 8 of them with their backs eaten out but still alive, it took a week for those to finally die, then 3 others got killed by the neighbor's dog, guess I should have put up fencing...little Dolly here is the last one, all she does is call for her sisters all the time, and we don't really have time for her...do you want her?"

Me: :suicide:

It's especially bad at Easter.

VV I'm sorry. Joke away, this *is* SA, after all! It's just that people who do that make me mad enough to fall to the ground and bite sticks.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 15, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

nevermind, that story made me too sad for jokes :smith:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Hey, chick pics! :neckbeard:

https://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2020/04/chicks-in-lockdown.html

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Nice variety of chickies and super cute as well. Thanks for sharing their photos! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

This poo poo is so wholesome.

Want to grab at that little stubber tail!