Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
i am very excited for extra chickens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Changing my name suggestion from Retribution to Henpress.

Now that we're getting another draw.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Can you dress one like courtney love and then caption it "someday you will egg like i egg"

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

me too! me too! :)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
these chicklets are huge

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

is that a piece of pizza in the box? lol

Yup. These kids are total junk food addicts. At 5 weeks old, I'm just now getting them to eat stuff like corn on the cob and cabbage. Meanwhile they go at pizza hammer and tongs, little weirdos.

And yeah, naming is opening up again provided Uptown Bus hatches chicks. Of the 8 broody hens now stomping about, one is Wiggles, 8 years old and mostly blind. The kid reports that Wiggles is in it to win it, and bites HARD.

We've got one Hell of a cold, rainy, wind-bitch of a storm bearing down on us in another 24 hours (if the feed drops we've lost power), so today we're sectioning off part of the brooder box for Bus and her eggs--where she's at isn't secure enough in bad weather, and our small day run isn't secure enough for overnight.

So later on when the cam goes down for a while today, when it comes back you'll see the chicks, with Bus on her nest in the background. Problem is, I can't LEAVE her there until her hatch, as she needs to leave the nest every so often during the day to exercise/dust bathe/broody poop and the box isn't big enough. And moving her and her eggs back and forth increases the chance she'll abandon the eggs.

We'll just have to wing it, no pun intended.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Please change my name submission to Jerome in honor of Bus.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My staple! Danke!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Dave Cluckstaine , the most metal chicken :megadeath:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Are the previous name submission still in the hat?

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Tossing Big Goose into the hat.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Elukka posted:

Are the previous name submission still in the hat?

Yes!
Also, now is the time to change your name selection if you want, I'm keeping a list. And YES, if your name got picked last hatch, you can suggest another name, since this is a new hatch.

Okay, it's starting to get pretty windy and the clouds are moving in...the big storm is supposed to hit tomorrow. I'm not gonna wait to do this so we moved Uptown Bus in now. The chicks are having the share their digs, Bus is having to tolerate chickens she's never SEEN before inches from her eggs...

Suffice to say NO ONE is happy.

But so far, so good, after some initial bitchy trilling from the chicks and growling from Bus, everyone has calmed the Hell down.

What a good mom! :D

Unfortunately, one of the 7 eggs Bus is setting has a tiny crack...it may or may not make it, usually cracked eggs get broken. But we left it in, gonna give it a shot.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

what is her big open mouth head toss thing about? she looks like i feel when i try to pop my ears

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Oh I've never done this before. Has anyone submitted the name Chicken Boo? I'll make that my submission, but in the very likely chance its been used already then I'll go for Secretariat.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Submitting "triple stupe" as a potential name please.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I love watching the babies be Apprehensive about this strange new creature that has been imprisoned in their home

What is this thing?

Why is it hanging out here?

Is it a chicken?

What IS a chicken, really?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That is a giant baby.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

City of Glompton posted:

what is her big open mouth head toss thing about? she looks like i feel when i try to pop my ears

Usually it's because they have a little bit of food stuck in their throat (I'd guess an alfalfa leaf), or one of the feathers over their ear holes has gotten turned and is poking them in the ear.

Chickens have these weird ear holes that they could store spare change in if they wanted to, they are cavernous.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Has the name Donkey been taken yet? Because I don't know why, but I think naming animals after other animals is hilarious, and Donkey is a pretty funny name.

If that's not available, my previous suggestion was for Seņor Stinkbutt because I am so mature. :downs:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Power is out all around us because of this hellacious windstorm...

Nutella
Jun 27, 2005

"And the meek shall inherit the earth"
I'd like the throw in the name Burt.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

We're having a weird thing here--our Internet is working, the computer says it's streaming...but no Chickam, it says we stopped streaming 5 hours ago.

Do you guys see a live feed?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nope, it's not live here. Did YouTube perhaps reset your streaming key? Should be below the video preview on the stream dashboard if YT hasn't changed their interface in some dumb way as they often do.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^ Thanks, this clued me into getting suspicious and checking other things out.

Got it. YouTube has changed their live stream setup (with no notification, yay!). We're trying to get it sorted out now, hold tight.

EDIT-- Fixed and back up!

EDIT 2: ...and back down again. I got an email from YouTube saying they have a complaint and took our stream down, I replied...so now we wait and see. The only alternative might be to start a whole new channel, which we're trying to avoid. All I can figure is that the cam accidentally picked up sound from our TV and it triggered a copyright violation or something. Fuckin' idiots. Sorry gang, we'll be back ASAP

EDIT 3!: Got an apology from YouTube and we're back. STILL don't know what the issue was! Meanwhile, the chicks now have a fun Log toy and Uptown Bus was removed from her eggs today so she'd poop.

Anyone who has never experienced a broody hen poop before....well, let's just say they can peel paint, and Bus had been storing them up. From now on we'll be taking her off her eggs at least once a day so she will poo. :stonk:

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 19, 2020

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I would like to suggest Downtown Taxi as a name for a chick raised by Uptown Bus.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
Guess what

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Is that Rapunzel's floofy butt?

*edit* are we going to get class portraits for this group? :D

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 21, 2020

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Spoggerific posted:

I would like to suggest Downtown Taxi as a name for a chick raised by Uptown Bus.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The camera is currently just totally clogged with fluffy chicken rear end, as CORN has arrived.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

We had to reposition the cam OUTSIDE the box, since Rapunzel wouldn't keep her fluffy butt off of it. Also it was getting to be all 'sea of legs' in there because they've grown so. I'll be getting new chick pics this weekend when they turn 6 weeks old.

Bus broke one of her eggs today, one of the big ones. It had a chick. :smith:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

:smith:

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
You've got a new fan

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^ Heh...

The chicks are spending their first night in full dark, they are a bit anxious but the one who *really* doesn't like it is Bus...the babies peeping has her upset. Hoping everyone will quiet down in a bit.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Rapunzel keeps flying up to the edge of the box, if you don't see her that's why! Bus does NOT approve. Checking the eggs tonight, but I doubt if they'll hatch. If no viable chicks Bus goes back outside.

Two more weeks, and the chicks go outside! We'll be taking them outside for a couple of hours each day, weather permitting, to spend some time in the small run and acclimate to outdoors/big nasty adult chickens who want to peck them. This is a must to help the big chickens get over their snit at newcomers.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Welp, *just* because today I decided that time is up and Uptown Bus' eggs aren't going to hatch--

We have a pip. :derp:

One of the bantam eggs, with a live chick inside. I'd had the kid take Bus back outside and she was removing the eggs to throw them away, and checked them one last time. I looked in the pip and could see a living, breathing chick!
Hopefully we'll have a chick hatched by the end of the day, we are NOT going to disturb Bus or check under her, we're leaving her strictly alone unless there is some kind of problem.

Fingers crossed, everyone!

Talen_Soti
Mar 30, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Welp, *just* because today I decided that time is up and Uptown Bus' eggs aren't going to hatch--

We have a pip. :derp:

One of the bantam eggs, with a live chick inside. I'd had the kid take Bus back outside and she was removing the eggs to throw them away, and checked them one last time. I looked in the pip and could see a living, breathing chick!
Hopefully we'll have a chick hatched by the end of the day, we are NOT going to disturb Bus or check under her, we're leaving her strictly alone unless there is some kind of problem.

Fingers crossed, everyone!

If you haven't already used it, give this little pipper the name of lucky!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Tempted to change my name request to Better Nate than Lever but no.

Lu Bu remains.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Good luck little chick :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

With a bit of an assist, we have a chick! It's a dark chick from a bantam egg. Bus had pretty much squashed the half-unzipped egg and I wasn't comfortable leaving the chick like that, so I popped it out of the remaining shell like a biscuit from a tin!

Bus is very excited, I had no chance to check for other pips. The chick is under her and we're going to leave them in the dark so everyone can quiet down, since she is a first-time mom the concern now is that she'll inadvertantly trample it.

Chickam Phase 2. We'll pick a name in the morning! :woop: