Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
You can use a camera phone if you are happy with the quality of the pictures they take. That said even the xf10 takes much higher quality pictures than cellphone cameras (and a step above the rx100 series too). The question is whether it matters for what you want to do with your images.

I shoot primarily on a gr iii, which I got refurbished from ricoh for $600. They don't have any right now, but here is the deal page. They get stock in periodically. The autofocus definitely isn't class leading, but I have heard complaints of the xf10's autofocus performance as well. Optically the only big problem is terrible vignetting. It isn't a camera for everyone, but I really love the images. Crops at 35mm/50mm equivalent are also very usable, so it isn't that limiting.

There are many older generation fixed lens 28mm premium compacts on the used market too: fuji x70, ricoh gr i/ii, coolpix a.

You shouldn't trust anything you read from ken rockwell. That review is also of the gr (not gr iii), which is pretty much the same as the gr ii.

My actual recommendation is a used fuji x100s/t/f. A fixed lens, fixed screen, no evf compact is a pretty niche thing, you'll probably find the evf/ovf experience more enjoyable.

The update to the x100v was a big one, but I'm not sure if I would spend the money right out of the gate. And if you buy used you can always sell and upgrade without losing much, if you do decide it is right for you.

I would personally prefer a compact to a smaller body and lens, if I wasn't changing lenses. Besides being pocketable, a big advantage for me a is a high shutter sync speeds, so you can use a flash even while shooting wide open in bright sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You could probably get a gently used X100F for under a grand, or a new Panasonic LX100 mk 2 which is around the same size and shape and has a smaller sensor but a useful zoom range.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

The XF10 appears to be discontinued and I have heard of people picking them up for $300-400 lately. Here's a localish place to me with it for $429: https://procam.com/fujifilm-xf10-digital-camera-black

I really, really like mine now that I've had it for a year and learned its quirks. It's surprisingly capable and produces great images if you are willing to live with the wide angle. It's most definitely an improvement over smartphones since it's got an APS-C sensor in it.

I use mine exactly as you described - basically any time I want to have a "real" camera with me but don't want to carry my DSLR.

Congee by charliebravo77, on Flickr

WI Squirrel Round 2 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

CO/SD Snapshots by charliebravo77, on Flickr

CO/SD Snapshots by charliebravo77, on Flickr

CO/SD/WY 2019 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

80D vs XF10 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

My biggest complaint is that the smartphone transfer and live shooting is fuckin garbage. Originally it worked most of the time, then only occasionally, and now it won't sync At. All. and it's not uncommon from what I've seen on the fuji-x forums. I bought a USB-C SD reader to transfer to my phone which not only is faster but will copy RAW images unlike the app though, so it's tolerable now.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah, Fuji's app has been getting worse with every release.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Does any camera manufacturer make a cell phone app that isn’t terrible to use?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

President Beep posted:

Does any camera manufacturer make a cell phone app that isn’t terrible to use?

For editing?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’m thinking more of the PTSD-inducing transfer/tethering apps I’ve used from Sony and Canon.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

President Beep posted:

I’m thinking more of the PTSD-inducing transfer/tethering apps I’ve used from Sony and Canon.

There are third party tethering apps, I use QDSLR Dashboard for field focus bracketing, it's better but still not great. Reading the forums for remote apps most of the issues seem to stem from the clunky way the remote control protocol works rather than the apps themselves.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

I've been digging through threads trying to figure out state of the art of compact cameras, so I'm going to Just Post and see if someone can point me in the right direction.

More than a decade ago, I had a Nikon D60 and a couple lenses. I really loved it, took it on a bunch of travel, and ended up keeping the 35mm/1.8 FX lens on it most of the time. Years passed, phone cameras got better by leaps and bounds, and I stopped traveling as much, and I sold off all the lenses for like 80% of what I paid for them, and the body for dirt cheap because it was 10MP.

I'm looking for a compact fixed-lens camera that has a substantially better sensor than high-end phone cameras, but I'd also like to spend less than $1000. $1k is more than I spent on my photography hobby last time around, thanks to how dirt cheap Nikon crop-sensor stuff was back then. I'm looking for something that I'll keep on me to take good pictures of kids & family for myself, and also something that I can pack along on bike rides to whip out and take pictures of interesting moments. I took a look around at the type of device that I think I'm looking for, and I'm floored by how much point & shoot cameras cost nowadays. I'm A-OK with a fixed lens, but not opposed to a high-quality zoom lens either. Shortlist of things that I'm looking at, and the eye-watering prices:

• Sony RX100 VII - $1300
  • Fuji X100V - $1400!
  • Fuji XF10 - $500, and looks like a minimal if any upgrade over flagship smartphone cameras.
  • Ricoh GR III - $900 and a host of suspiciously negative reviews like https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/ricoh/gr.htm#rex

Am I missing something? Should I be looking for a mirrorless body + pancake lens instead? Should I track down one of the most compact DSLR bodies and stick a prime on there? My D60 was pretty dang small in the first place, I'd hope that more modern Nikon stuff is smaller. Based on a look around, I think the Fuji X100 is exactly what I'm dreaming of, but that price is really hard for me to swallow.

buy my ricoh gr ii, i don't use it anymore. it's a great camera

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Whatever you buy, if you're looking to keep it cheap, go used. Probably best to avoid random sellers on eBay to avoid getting stung, but there are plenty of reputable used camera dealers around - MPB, B&H Photo, etc.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Seconding mpb.com. Bought all my gear from there except my first ever camera. Accurate descriptions on all the gear and they've marked up the quality of my trade-in stuff more than once (I said it was 'good' and they said 'nah, it's 'excellent'' and paid me more).

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

yea i'd sell mine cheap - i was thinking of $250 CAD (+ whatever the shipping ends up).
i'll make a post in the buy/sell thread after work today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

grassy gnoll posted:

My plan is to take pictures of still objects from fairly close up, mostly scale models and the occasional cat or human.

I found a reasonably good price for a Sony A77 and a 35mm f/1.8 lens. One of my friends is really ride-or-die for Fuji and is recommending a X-T1 and the Fujinon 23mm f/2 lens, on the grounds that the Fuji film gimmicks will give better color results. If I decide to start shooting things that aren't staged lumps of plastic, the Fuji definitely seems like less of a pain to haul around.

Are either of these options terrible choices, and if I'm pretty comfortable doing post-processing work, is the Fuji genuinely going to make a difference as far as color reproduction goes?

I’m hugely massively late to the party, if you went with Sony then the Sony 35mm 2.8 macro lens on any model post A37 is extraordinary good value for money and will do exactly what you want - the complaint with it is that it’s not very good for bugs, but anything still and for close up portraits it’s a cracking lens, plus it’s £150 new and £70 second hand.