Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This is a thread about a case, not a book per se, although it's going to be strongly predicated on a book recommendation.

At first, it seems a pretty bog-standard murder case. Okay, perhaps a little convoluted: Bart hired a roommate to fake a break-in and then murder his family for... (creakily-old movie reference)... one million dollars! ... of wealth he assumed he would then inherit.

quote:

On December 10, 2003, Whitaker falsely told his family that he had just taken his final exams and would soon be graduating from Sam Houston State University. They drove to the nearby Pappadeaux restaurant in Stafford for a celebratory dinner. Meanwhile Chris Brashear, dressed in black, including a ski mask, had entered the Whitaker family home, taken Kevin's gun and ammunition from a locked box in his room, staged a burglary, and then waited near the front door for the Whitaker family to return home.

Thomas said that he needed to collect his cell phone from his parked Yukon knowing that Brashear was armed and waiting inside to kill his family.

Kevin entered the family home first and reportedly smiled when he saw the masked Brashear. Brashear shot Kevin once through his chest and he fell to the floor. Patricia was also shot in the chest and fell to the floor. Kent rushed in and was shot in the shoulder with the bullet shattering his humerus.[19] Thomas then ran inside and staged a struggle with Brashear, getting shot in his left arm to divert suspicion.

Brashear then exited through the Whitakers' back door and jumped the fence into the rear neighbour's yard. Kevin died within minutes of being shot. Patricia died shortly after being airlifted by Life Flight service on the way to Memorial Hermann Hospital. Thomas told First Responders that he thought the gunman was black, in order to divert suspicion away from Brashear. Kent survived the murder attempt.

What this doesn't go into is some of the weirder and to be honest, funnier details of the crime. I mean no, it's not a funny crime, but... it's kind of funny. In like a deeply, deeply pathetic kind of way.

I first head about this case on Forensic Files, episode "Family Interrupted".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W79UHbHQ0I

Forensic Files has become a sizzling issue on this forum because it has ~cops~ in it, so if you're going to complain about cops then you might as well leave this thread, because the cops solve a crime in it. Anyway.

This episode sort of softly suggests what a stupid plan this was by a narcissistic gamer and his gamer crew, but it's simply too short to get into the nitty-gritty details. And that's where this story really pops the gently caress off.

vvvv

You can watch the 48 Hours story about it here: watch!

^^^^

Alternatively, you can buy:

SAVAGE SON.

This book is easy reading--you can readily get through it in a day--so if you're in quarantine, what a fun time!

*Make sure you get the one by Corey Mitchell, there are two books with this title.

Now, a few reviews (two from a cursory Amazon check) have said some of the details are off. And honestly, I stopped reading once it got to the trial because I didn't care any more. However, the gist of it seems to be backed up elsewhere.

quote:

Then, a buddy of Bart’s named Adam Hipp came forward five days after the murders and told police that Bart had tried to enlist him to shoot Bart’s parents two years earlier. Adam had replicated a diagram of the house’s layout and where the triggerman was to lie in wait.

Hipp said that Kent and Tricia had heard about the plot, but didn’t take it seriously.

Yep! Things like this. That the family had been told by the police, multiple times that their son had tried to do half-baked genius gamer plans to get them gone. He told tons of random people about it, including people who then told their friends who were just inviting them to a rush party ("I don't can't goooo I have to help with a muuurrrrdeerrr") who then told their significant others who then also told the police.

The book itself doesn't have a great narrative style--it's very simplistic. However, again, if you're in for some "I'm bored" quarantine reading it has some exceptionally goony details. Bart was clearly convinced he was a genius--that part doesn't seem to be in dispute--but was clearly a masterclass dumbshit and his various doofery as he bumbled his way into the "perfect crime" is some top shelf clownshoes. What's even sillier is that his family was well-off and supporting him in the extreme so this was in no way necessary.

He told them he was graduating and wanted to be an FBI agent but actually hosed around online gaming the whole time and figured he'd just kill them to get rich instantly and then be gamer forever.

Anyway, he's serving life currently, but apparently has put his own book on Amazon called--really--“Who Fears Hell Runs Toward It: On the Christian Metaphysical Foundations of the American Penitentiary and the Missing Image of Resistance in Foucault’s Discipline and Punish," which touches on prison life in America.

Pick fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

While I do appreciate the recommendation, I really just want to watch TNG with the volume down while getting quietly drunk in my disturbingly clean apartment.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The_Continental posted:

While I do appreciate the recommendation, I really just want to watch TNG with the volume down while getting quietly drunk in my disturbingly clean apartment.

star trek is super good :hai:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
favorite sci-fi detail is the author not understanding that when he was told about "starcraft noises" in a video game he was being told about a game called StarCraft

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

And he woulda gotten away wit it too if it weren't for those meddling COPS :argh:

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Lol, did these cops just suspect a dude of murder because he flipped off the camera?????

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

dudeness posted:

Lol, did these cops just suspect a dude of murder because he flipped off the camera?????

nah the book goes into it more, I think FF just thought it was a funny detail (though they did notice)

the immediate suspicion is when he called 911 he was like "ahhhh i charged at the dude, i'm a hero and also cool" and they're like "um where are you? huh??" and then when they began talking to him, immediately started acting like a weirdo

FF plays up the forensics part, and that's fair, but the investigation was mostly "so this dumbass gamer kid killed his parents. let's collect up all the poo poo i guess". the funniest bits of the book are interviews from people who knew Bart and they all thought he loving sucked and was an arrogant dickbag.

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 11, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
some of the weirdest poo poo is his dad continuing his online presence (including flirting with girls!) for him. yes the same dad who was shot, and whose wife and other son were murdered because of this son's scheme

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Oh also your book link goes to, I assume, a very different book then what you were going for. Judging by the trailer for it's book cover (yes), it's some sort of milfic.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

What made you so interested in this story, OP?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

dudeness posted:

Oh also your book link goes to, I assume, a very different book then what you were going for. Judging by the trailer for it's book cover (yes), it's some sort of milfic.

oops, wrong tab, thanks--fixed!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

1redflag posted:

What made you so interested in this story, OP?

re-watching forensic files while I was making dinner

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pick posted:

:wrong:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So there was supreme court case tangentially related to his death sentence? Huh

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Pick posted:

some of the weirdest poo poo is his dad continuing his online presence (including flirting with girls!) for him. yes the same dad who was shot, and whose wife and other son were murdered because of this son's scheme

what in the gently caress what

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Pick posted:

Star Trek is garbage. Klingons at war with tribbles, lol. The coolest captain is dead but a robot now, lol. The AI is bad, but we trust it, lol.

pop fly to McGillicutty fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 11, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Protagonist posted:

what in the gently caress what

I had been saving this one, but

after the police had started making Bart aware that they totally knew he did it because the entire crime was stupid and incredibly obvious, he ran off to mexico. as a result, he was no longer paying utility bills for the townhouse his parents had bought for him. this and only th-- you know, what, let's just

i know you killed famil, but BILLS! <:saddowns:>

Pick fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 11, 2020

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
Do either episodes have the 911 call

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ANUSTART posted:

Do either episodes have the 911 call

I will try to remember, I watched the FF episode a bit back, the 48 hours one while halfass doing something else, and the book read while drunk

Another turbo good one is the Seattle Stoplight Murder

Basically, Dinh Bowman spent a ton of time online and decided he could commit the "perfect crime" of shooting some random nice guy at a stoplight, because he was so much smarter than everyone else ever. Yes, he worked in tech.

However, that one pops off when you hear his girlfriend talking to him. they communicated in no-poo poo baby talk. it's worth the buildup to get to it because you just :stare:

It's a 40 minute special, watchable here

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
however if you are lazy and reaaaally can't wait because despite having nothing to do you are still impatient as gently caress,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSLZMMK4Nd0

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That's pretty morbid, pick

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I actually went to middle school/high school with this guy - was in the same grade as his brother Kevin and sat next to him in several classes. It was a small, private school before Bart transferred to Clements (one of the public schools in the area). His mom was a subsitute teacher at my high school, and his dad would chaperone some school field trips.

When we first found out when it happened, a couple years after I graduated, it was thought it was just burglars and the family coming home at the wrong time - as the dots got connected it was just the biggest :wtf: of my life.

I still get sad when I think about it, because while I only talked to Bart a few times, the rest of the family were some of the nicest people you'd ever meet. It's incredibly hosed up :smith:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
All the information does suggest Kevin was really well liked, for good reason, and his parents also.

Sorry for the tone of the post, I had absolutely no expectation that anyone who posted here would have known any of these people or ever encounter them. "True crime" materials are only entertainment provided they stay 100% abstract; violent crime itself is never funny.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Pick posted:

All the information does suggest Kevin was really well liked, for good reason, and his parents also.

Sorry for the tone of the post, I had absolutely no expectation that anyone who posted here would have known any of these people or ever encounter them. "True crime" materials are only entertainment provided they stay 100% abstract; violent crime itself is never funny.

Nah, continue, I get it - if it was someone I didn't grow up with it'd be incredibly entertaining to me, like you said, in the abstract way.

I just can't put myself in his dad's shoes though - the dude who killed almost your entire family is the also the only family you have left. They were extremely religious (it was a Baptist school we all went to so par for the course, please don't doxx me), but god drat, I don't care how Christian you are, how the actual gently caress do you go to bat for the dude who killed your wife and non-fuckhead child, even if it is your son?

e; If there's an upside to it, I'm fairly sure I've already met by far the worst human being I'll ever meet in my life :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I read the book Bully, I didn't read the op but I bet the cases are similar. Dang ole murderers. Anyway they made the book bully into a movie with an actor who died of heroin overdose after filming the informers movie. His name escapes me, but another guy in bully (the murderee) starred in HBO's carnivalé