Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
This is a thread for My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!, aka Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei Shiteshimatta, or, more commonly among the western fans, Bakarina!

MAL posted:

Eight-year-old Catarina Claes is the only daughter of a duke, living her life peacefully and without incident until she hits her head on a rock... and then remembers that she is not actually the duke's daughter. She used to be an otaku who died on her way to school after spending the previous night playing Fortune Lover, her favorite otome game. After noticing that her current surroundings seem oddly familiar, she is shocked to discover that she has been reincarnated into the world of Fortune Lover as the villainess.

The villainess in the game usually winds up dead or exiled, so Catarina decides to use her knowledge of the game and its routes to avoid any bad situations. But is it even possible for the villainess to reach a good ending?

Studio: Silver Link.
Directed by Inoue Keisuke (Ao-chan Can't Study!).
Staring Maaya Uchida (Rikka from Chuunibyou) as Catarina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QriYDN3KmQs

Airs Saturday nights in Japan, streaming in the west via Crunchroll or VRV.

PLEASE AVOID MANGA OR LIGHT NOVEL SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD. It's okay to talk about differences in adaptation (scenes or events that the anime may have left out for instance) but let's try to keep this thread largely spoiler-free for anime-only watchers.

Agronox fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Ground floor :neckbeard:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
...aaaand I'm a dumbass who should not post prior to coffee. That should be Bakarina above. I can't figure out how to edit the thread title though. Just pretend it says Bakarina! :(

Anyway, good first episode.

She may need some help in trying not to look like a villain.

All's well that ends well

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

All hail the cute idiot.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goddammit I already had a thread in the making for this.

Well, no matter, for as long as Bakarina gets the proper love she deserves, it's all cool.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i just realized that katarina's endlessly suffering mom would have been perfectly content if katarina had continued on her original cruel, selfish villainess path. instead, she only has a problem with her daughter being a universally beloved troublemaker because it's not very ladylike.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i just realized that katarina's endlessly suffering mom would have been perfectly content if katarina had continued on her original cruel, selfish villainess path. instead, she only has a problem with her daughter being a universally beloved troublemaker because it's not very ladylike.

She had a very unhappy marriage in the original timeline, though (the anime slightly skipped over the details in the first episode, but Bakarina accidentally repaired their relationship), so swings and roundabouts.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Spoiler for anime only people: It's good

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

This show is tremendous fun, although she’s clearly got nothing to worry about with regards to that whole doom thing. Nobody would ever mistake someone that lovable for a villain.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Toy Snake for Best Girl

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Catarina accidentally seducing her rival is what sold the show for me.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Mary isn't even her rival, she's just a rival alongside Catarina to go up against the main character.

Although Mary is too ridiculously pure to be taken seriously as a rival, at least Catarina can manage a proper evil face!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Elfface posted:

Toy Snake for Best Girl

I love this muppet snake.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Bakarina is the densest material known to man. She is a black hole of stupid. I love her so much.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Bakarina: "I'm mentally 17 years old"

Also Bakarina: "Surely my plan which revolves entirely around throwing toy snakes will work"

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I just want to call out whoever drew the eggplants on A+ plant skills. I could tell they were eggplants even before the flowers, and I'm a lousy gardener.

Edit: Also, Bakarina is amazing and I'm here for the season.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Shyrka posted:

Mary isn't even her rival, she's just a rival alongside Catarina to go up against the main character.

Although Mary is too ridiculously pure to be taken seriously as a rival, at least Catarina can manage a proper evil face!

Yeah (extremely minor spoiler about the OG games supposed story) Mary is from a story route where Catalina doesn't feature at all. The two never actually meet in the canon game.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SilverMike posted:

All hail the cute idiot.

Strongly concur.

I want to see her and Aqua have a dense-off.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Strongly concur.

I want to see her and Aqua have a dense-off.

I think Aqua would lose that one. Although Aqua is a complete idiot, she's also kind of a pro when it comes to her areas of social expertise, like conning Japanese teenagers into crusading on deathworlds.

Basically, you subtly insult Aqua, five minutes later she goes "Hey!", then goes into a thrashing whining fit about how cruel you are, and also begs you for booze money.

You insult Bakarina, she will never realize it.

Still, it'd be a hell of a sight. (I'm just sad that Shonen Jump's most Nobel Prize worthy super-genius doesn't have an anime yet. Multi-series dumbass-offs feel incomplete without her.)

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!
I'm so glad that this is the first villainess isekai novel to get turned into an anime. it's so good. i hope this is the catalyst starts off this genre and we get all of these animes

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Our heroine villainess.

The ED is good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Legosi vs Bakarina dumb-off

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

Legosi vs Bakarina dumb-off
Here we are using a character's name vs a nickname bestowed upon the character by the fandom. That's like the most one-sided fight you can have.

Also, once the creditless OP is released, we're going to need a gif of the "Inner Mind" Catarinas turning their faces to the camera.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

chumbler posted:

The ED is good.

The title says it's Bad End.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

I liked the OP more but this
:allears:

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I watched the first two episodes, and was convinced enough to go and buy all of the translated light novels as ebooks. I'll probably get around reading them sometime during this blasted lock-down.

Show's real good.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Warden posted:

I watched the first two episodes, and was convinced enough to go and buy all of the translated light novels as ebooks. I'll probably get around reading them sometime during this blasted lock-down.

Show's real good.

The manga is also quite nice! Also, fairly brief. I'm expecting a one cour. Maaaaaaaaaybe two, since they've been going about a chapter an episode so far.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Wark Say posted:

Goddammit I already had a thread in the making for this.

I warned you about me posting bro!!! I told you dog!

(Thanks for changing the thread title :))

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That was, most likely, Julias' handiwork. :ssh:

Also no worries: when it comes to threads, the "You Snooze, You Lose" is still in order.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ground floor

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
This is a very good show. I have now read all the manga.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Even with all the chatter I've seen about the manga leading to being pretty sure I'd like it, it still exceeded my expectations. What a delight this is so far 🐍

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
The second episode was ridiculously cute. I've been reading the manga for a while now so I'm very excited that this got an anime!

I usually stick to trashy action series but there's something about otome isekais that I enjoy sooooo much

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Bakarina is good.

Also Bakarina is a lady killer. Mary Hunt beware.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The creditless OP is here if anyone wants to make a better gif.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00zguIZOXlA

ThingOne fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 14, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Bakarina has one of the great fictional mustaches.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
In a more serious drama, a charismatic social butterfly who can't see the love of her friends for what it is and always feels like she's about to be stabbed in the back would be an irresistible source of tragedy.

This is not that kind of series. This is a series where the character in question charms her love interests by smashing down a door with an axe like Jack Torrance and climbing a tree really really fast.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

yuri route get

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
From this episode, I see why this series is called Bakarina