Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I assume this only happens in the game if you're on the secret route. Otherwise Catarina would have remembered it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sindai posted:

I assume this only happens in the game if you're on the secret route. Otherwise Catarina would have remembered it.

True. Isekai Catarina is already the main love interest, if not protagonist, and it makes complete sense for her to perform the rescue in the Anime's timeline. But, assuming that you're Acchan in modern Japan and you're just playing the game on your pc, how would the lead up to the confrontation with Sirius look like? Because original game Catarina would have already been killed or exiled or etc at this point. It makes more sense for literally anyone else to do the rescue.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maria probably gets captured and her preferred love interest saves her, but the one doing the capturing and the saving is both sirius.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
They cut a gag (from the manga anyway) that would’ve worked pretty well, I thought, at the end of the episode. I’ll put it in spoilers in case they actually get to it (but I don’t think they will):

After Sirius asks “why are you here?!” Caterina replies :haw: “I woke up!” :haw:

If any of you are anime-only, did this episode work for you? It was one of the few times in the manga where I thought they laid it on too thick. It might’ve actually been better here animated.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I'm so happy that we got to see modern day Catarina, she's quirky and adorable and is furiously exploiting her youth by playing video games and sacrificing sleep and is just s good friend in general.

The callbacks to the old granny next door, to the fact that she's the youngest of 3 with two older brothers (and always wanted a younger sibling to dote on) and the ability to set off dogs... I wish there was an entire episode dedicated to this world that can maybe fill out some of the characters or draw additional parallels, but this is fine.

Anyways, I like this episode. That Geordo move was pretty :yikes: though

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

starbucks hermit posted:

But, assuming that you're Acchan in modern Japan and you're just playing the game on your pc, how would the lead up to the confrontation with Sirius look like? Because original game Catarina would have already been killed or exiled or etc at this point. It makes more sense for literally anyone else to do the rescue.

I would assume that Maria might have to convince Sirius without a rescue being involved in the original secret route. Remember that she's immune to his magic.

I also get the impression Catalina is only story relevant on the Geroud route. She might not even appear much at all on other routes.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
God this was a good episode. The whole dreamscape was everything I wanted and when Katarina was saying goodbye to Acc-chan, I almost cried. Seeing everyone try to cope with losing Katarina was also great. I know this show isn’t revolutionary in terms of new concepts, but it executes on what it is so well. Honestly, having the filler contents to get more attached to the characters really helps episodes like these. So glad I picked this show up.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Was this stuff in the original LN or something? IIRC in the manga all this Acchan stuff just happened in the span of like 2 pages and was nowhere near as impactful as this ep.

edit: never mind, I looked at the manga again and I guess I just forgot about all this

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

starbucks hermit posted:

True. Isekai Catarina is already the main love interest, if not protagonist, and it makes complete sense for her to perform the rescue in the Anime's timeline. But, assuming that you're Acchan in modern Japan and you're just playing the game on your pc, how would the lead up to the confrontation with Sirius look like? Because original game Catarina would have already been killed or exiled or etc at this point. It makes more sense for literally anyone else to do the rescue.

I like to think about the actual mechanics of Fortune Lover. Is it a pure visual novel or does it have a stat/schedule system where you have to select activities for Maria each day that raise her parameters in certain areas while also having a chance at provoking events with certain characters. Like you have to do lots of Library activities to raise your intelligence stat and those also provoke lots of Sophia encounters for the Nicol route (and having high intelligence is necessary for the Alan route too), or some sort of Explore/Goof Around activity that raises your whimsy stat and leads to Geordo encounters.

So for the Sirius route you probably need to grind your magic stat really hard so you can detect his dark magic (and probably have completed all four main routes on the same save file), but then when you confront him if you try to use that overpowered magic of yours to fight him you still lose and he goes and kills everyone for the bad end, so you've got to let him kidnap you so you can reverse-stockholm syndrome him during the captivity events.

Shyrka fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 14, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I find it kind of funny that Catarina is on the cover but not Sophia or Mary. Guess they really are minor characters.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well Catarina is a villain, unlike Sophia and Mary, and she gets to appear in two routes! To an extent she might appear more substantially than some of the actual love interests if there's multiple storyline's she plays a major role in.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I like to think that Sophia and Mary were on the cover originally, but Catarina was such a hit with audiences that they re-released the game (with extra secret route!) featuring her on the cover instead of the other two girls, because Catarina :allears:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Shyrka posted:

I like to think about the actual mechanics of Fortune Lover. Is it a pure visual novel or does it have a stat/schedule system where you have to select activities for Maria each day that raise her parameters in certain areas while also having a chance at provoking events with certain characters. Like you have to do lots of Library activities to raise your intelligence stat and those also provoke lots of Sophia encounters for the Nicol route (and having high intelligence is necessary for the Alan route too), or some sort of Explore/Goof Around activity that raises your whimsy stat and leads to Geordo encounters.

So for the Sirius route you probably need to grind your magic stat really hard so you can detect his dark magic (and probably have completed all four main routes on the same save file), but then when you confront him if you try to use that overpowered magic of yours to fight him you still lose and he goes and kills everyone for the bad end, so you've got to let him kidnap you so you can reverse-stockholm syndrome him during the captivity events.

Good point. I can see how the game could be written to subvert normal gameplay in the secret route.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well Catarina is a villain, unlike Sophia and Mary, and she gets to appear in two routes! To an extent she might appear more substantially than some of the actual love interests if there's multiple storyline's she plays a major role in.

I was assuming Catarina would be appearing as a bully in every route, hence every route leading to her downfall eventually.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tenebrais posted:

I was assuming Catarina would be appearing as a bully in every route, hence every route leading to her downfall eventually.

that's the same impression I get. She is less heavily featured in the Alan and Nicol routes (since the rival changes to Mary and Sophia respectively), but if the accusation scene (featured in last week's episode) happens in all routes, then she will always find her doom. But maybe it only shows up in the Geordo and Keith routes.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Yeah the feeling I get is that unless you're on the Alan/Nicol route you just see Mary and Sophia maybe once or twice, whereas Catarina gets recurring 'bully' events throughout the game just as part of establishing school life, as well as Keith and Geordo specific events when you're on their routes.

Then the devs announce the Catarina route DLC and there's mass uproar from the fans about it white-washing her bullying. Until they play it and discover Catarina has become a lovable airhead who steals Geordo and Keith's events.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Shyrka posted:

Yeah the feeling I get is that unless you're on the Alan/Nicol route you just see Mary and Sophia maybe once or twice, whereas Catarina gets recurring 'bully' events throughout the game just as part of establishing school life, as well as Keith and Geordo specific events when you're on their routes.

Then the devs announce the Catarina route DLC and there's mass uproar from the fans about it white-washing her bullying. Until they play it and discover Catarina has become a lovable airhead who steals Geordo and Keith's events.

barge in on whatever Maria's doing, use your knowledge of the game to continually steal plot events (which is why this new game+ is gated behind the secret ending), eat her cookies, drag her to social functions, gauge her relationship status to others via pajama parties or tea parties, and ultimately steal her heart so that you can face off against the student council president

all of this has to be juggled with studying to make sure you don't get kicked out

it would be funny if, in this DLC, you had to specifically sabotage the other suitors by stealing their key events to allow you to maintain your lead.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Sophia is leaving everybody else in her dust. Katarina's got great chemistry with everybody, but being her long-lost friend reincarnated alongside her is just too big of an advantage when it comes to emotional gut punches.

starbucks hermit posted:

Anyways, I like this episode. That Geordo move was pretty :yikes: though

I can kind of understand it from the perspective that he's completely lost and trying anything to bring back Katarina from certain doom, but it still made me cringe when I watched it.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Shyrka posted:

starbucks hermit posted:

barge in on whatever Maria's doing, use your knowledge of the game to continually steal plot events (which is why this new game+ is gated behind the secret ending), eat her cookies, drag her to social functions, gauge her relationship status to others via pajama parties or tea parties, and ultimately steal her heart so that you can face off against the student council president

all of this has to be juggled with studying to make sure you don't get kicked out

it would be funny if, in this DLC, you had to specifically sabotage the other suitors by stealing their key events to allow you to maintain your lead.

There's already a fanfic about it. It's really good.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/17146268/chapters/40321130

Anime spoilers for what will be the last episode in it though.

Favorite line:

quote:

Katarina is super easy to grind affection for. She loves sweets, so I just jam those down her throat at every opportunity. It's nice to have something basic after Sirius's absolute garbage mess of a route unlock.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I am such a drat crybaby, this episode really got to me. My silly isekai anime made me cry. Rude!

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

skaianDestiny posted:

There's already a fanfic about it. It's really good.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/17146268/chapters/40321130
My favorite part is when the player says she loves problematic lesbian ships, because I tend to associate that kind of dynamic with the darker character being, at the very least, sharper than a beach ball.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
There's a fun little detail in Geordo's flashback--the snake is given a sort of rainbow "obscene object" censoring--at least until it's crumpled.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

starbucks hermit posted:

I wonder how this scene would have looked in the original Fortune Lover game. Does Maria always get captured, and her preferred love interest always saves her? Or does she not get captured in the first place?

I think, applying the logic that Katarina steals Maria's events, it would make the most sense for someone else, say, Katarina, to get captured by the Dick, and then Maria to mount a rescue (probably using Light magic skills). A lot of these hidden routes piggy-back on the Main route, so much of this route would perhaps be like the Geordo route.

So something like: Katarina bullying Maria, but Maria not getting close enough to Geordo to trigger the Geordo route but rather getting close to the Dick, at which point eventually Dick takes steps to defend Maria instead of Geordo, which results in Katarina's disappearance, Maria finding out via Light Magic, and the big confrontation which resolves depending on how many affection points there are between Maria and the Dick.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Fangz posted:

I think, applying the logic that Katarina steals Maria's events, it would make the most sense for someone else, say, Katarina, to get captured by the Dick, and then Maria to mount a rescue (probably using Light magic skills). A lot of these hidden routes piggy-back on the Main route, so much of this route would perhaps be like the Geordo route.

So something like: Katarina bullying Maria, but Maria not getting close enough to Geordo to trigger the Geordo route but rather getting close to the Dick, at which point eventually Dick takes steps to defend Maria instead of Geordo, which results in Katarina's disappearance, Maria finding out via Light Magic, and the big confrontation which resolves depending on how many affection points there are between Maria and the Dick.

This also makes sense. Having to grind some Sirius points probably involves grinding an unknown or under-noticed stat

... wow, it's clear how much of a Dieke he is... no wonder Acchan had so much trouble

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
So dense that she couldn’t be contained within a single season, S2 announced at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZKS83C6kbw

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
This series has been warm and fuzzy. :)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

This series has been warm and fuzzy. :)

It was so good! A great antidote to 2020 in general.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Demo for Katarina farming game!

https://hamehura-nouen.jp/main

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
If they are not cowards, they will adapt the spin-off/alternate scenario "Bakarina: Hardmode" which has the same basic premise, except with Bakarina gaining her memories of her previous reincarnation when she is already a teenager and in the first month of the Magic Academy, instead of when she is 8 year olds.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not nearly as good, though. it's kind of okay at best.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Eh, I like it more than anything after the first story arc in the "main" Bakarina series.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Catarina you phenomenal doofus, you almost figured it out. And, if you had maybe one more brain cell Catarina Council member you just might have.

I don't know anything about the LN, or manga, or what the future might hold; but this show, this season, was absolutely wonderful. And pretty much exactly what I needed in these weird rear end times.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's not nearly as good, though. it's kind of okay at best.
I don't think it needs to be a "which is better" contest. both are different takes on the same scenario, and I really find it interesting in the hardmode version where she doesn't have the chance to completely derail a character's original growth during childhood. like, Keith is the playboy he was originally instead of the sister-obsessive he turned into in bakarina, and her having to somehow overcome his traumatic upbringing sounds like it'll be interesting. plus I like the new characters it adds like the bully girl who has been completely wooed by catarina

also I like gerald being puzzled but intrigued by catarina's change rather than obsessed with her

both series are good

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't think it needs to be a "which is better" contest. both are different takes on the same scenario, and I really find it interesting in the hardmode version where she doesn't have the chance to completely derail a character's original growth during childhood. like, Keith is the playboy he was originally instead of the sister-obsessive he turned into in bakarina, and her having to somehow overcome his traumatic upbringing sounds like it'll be interesting. plus I like the new characters it adds like the bully girl who has been completely wooed by catarina

also I like gerald being puzzled but intrigued by catarina's change rather than obsessed with her

both series are good

I felt like hardmode was a bit too easy at first with her being able to befriend Maria and Mary and pique Gerald's interest, but I did like that when Keith came into the spotlight Mary straight up told her, "Look, I got bullied by my siblings and it was poo poo and if they suddenly started acting nice to me I still wouldn't forgive them and honestly I'd just be even more uncomfortable."

He probably will easily forgive her, but still love my girl Mary spitting out the harsh truths!

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I really enjoyed first half of the series but later I started getting a bit bored. That whole Sirius Dieke business was just weird. And it's a shame some harem members were barely developed.

Catarina is gold though

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Huh, surprised this is getting a season 2 since a large chunk of the after part of this initial plot was seen as kind of fillery apparently. Wonder if theyll skip most of it and get to the good stuff instead since this seems to take some pleasant liberality on the story anyway to make to go smoother.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
All hail the cute idiot's second season!

More importantly: Bakarina tie-in snake for sale where?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Iretep posted:

Huh, surprised this is getting a season 2 since a large chunk of the after part of this initial plot was seen as kind of fillery apparently. Wonder if theyll skip most of it and get to the good stuff instead since this seems to take some pleasant liberality on the story anyway to make to go smoother.

They easily could skip the next couple novels as they are essentially filler arcs.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Having read only the manga I think this was a pretty good adaptation, and I liked it. I'm still a little unsure why they didn't take an extra episode or two for young mode Catarina; there was enough material there and it would've prevented the back half from being as same-y as it began to feel.

Anyway, it's nice to see a light comedy with a heroine who gets through completely on kindness and empathy in a way that doesn't feel cloying. Well done Silver Link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I'm very happy with this season, it was light-hearted and earnest and exactly want I needed. I'm cautiously optimistic for the next season, but I'm really happy it's so neatly wrapped up as it is.