Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Great season, now give me the otome game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
"It's over, you fools. None of you can offer the slightest bit of resistance against my dark magic, and my mission of vengeance will soon be complete."

"Ah, but have you considered that I'm both stubbornly dedicated to relieving your inner demons and a complete buffoon?"

"I am now one of your boyfriends."

It's a testament to Katarina's charm that I thought her solution to Raphael's darkness was the only way it could have gone. Even if there were some bumpy parts, this was a great anime to watch and that gag about the friendship ending was the perfect one to go out on. You better hope Armageddon happens, kids, because that's the only way Katarina's gonna figure out what you're really after.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
A season where Katarina dies and then reincarnates as the protagonist of the Devilish Count.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Someone at Amazon must be a fan. This just went on sale:

http://amzn.com/B07TSHYBSL

AgentHaiTo fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 22, 2020

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Gotta say, feel kind of bad for beard ghost. His family was held hostage! Now, instead of going through with the dark ritual, he could have used mind control on the lady herself, but like, whatever.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
His family wasn't held hostage, they were dead. She granted his wish of rejoining them, not that he knew.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lt. Lizard posted:

If they are not cowards, they will adapt the spin-off/alternate scenario "Bakarina: Hardmode" which has the same basic premise, except with Bakarina gaining her memories of her previous reincarnation when she is already a teenager and in the first month of the Magic Academy, instead of when she is 8 year olds.
And then everything is exactly the same as in the main continuity. It's the most pointless thing I've read in years.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
KATARINA WINS. FRIENDSHIP

...friendship?

That was fun. I need more light-hearted comedy like that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Check out Princess Connect. It's endearingly goofy in its own way.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So I just binged the show over the last two days, and have a quick question I'm presuming someone more familiar with other sources besides the anime will be able to shed a bit of light on: in episode 7, when Catarina is stuck in the dungeon and Sophia tries to save her, there's a gust of wind that pushes them both back up on to the ledge when they're about to fall, which Sophia says wasn't her and we see a dark figure leave afterwards. Was that Raphael/Sirius saving them, as I'd assume, given that it's the episode that builds up to his reveal as a villain? Is he just normally a wind elemental magic user, and had dark magic on top of that? Or was it someone else, that'll be revealed next season, or whenever? I'd have assumed it was Raphael, but I don't recall anything about him having wind magic and there doesn't really seem to be a reason why he'd have saved them, when he was still under the dark magician's influence.

Edit: Also, it'll obviously be spoilers, but I'm just kind of curious what direction the story takes after this, considering that the conflict the season was raising has been resolved, Catarina has evaded the doom flags, won't be killed or exiled and nothing about her being a reincarnation or inside an otome game she is familiar with can really have much relevance going forward. Can someone spoiler it a bit, just for curiosity? I'm aware it stalls out for a bit, as the author struggles to find a new direction due to the story being more popular than anticipated, going by previous pages, but I'm just wondering what kind of direction it does go in.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 28, 2020

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It was probably Sirius, but as far as I know, that story is an anime original.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

tsob posted:

So I just binged the show over the last two days, and have a quick question I'm presuming someone more familiar with other sources besides the anime will be able to shed a bit of light on: in episode 7, when Catarina is stuck in the dungeon and Sophia tries to save her, there's a gust of wind that pushes them both back up on to the ledge when they're about to fall, which Sophia says wasn't her and we see a dark figure leave afterwards. Was that Raphael/Sirius saving them, as I'd assume, given that it's the episode that builds up to his reveal as a villain? Is he just normally a wind elemental magic user, and had dark magic on top of that? Or was it someone else, that'll be revealed next season, or whenever? I'd have assumed it was Raphael, but I don't recall anything about him having wind magic and there doesn't really seem to be a reason why he'd have saved them, when he was still under the dark magician's influence.

Edit: Also, it'll obviously be spoilers, but I'm just kind of curious what direction the story takes after this, considering that the conflict the season was raising has been resolved, Catarina has evaded the doom flags, won't be killed or exiled and nothing about her being a reincarnation or inside an otome game she is familiar with can really have much relevance going forward. Can someone spoiler it a bit, just for curiosity? I'm aware it stalls out for a bit, as the author struggles to find a new direction due to the story being more popular than anticipated, going by previous pages, but I'm just wondering what kind of direction it does go in.

At minimum, s2 will probably cover the 2 arcs before the next year of school. The first arc basically introduces a new character who is arguably more problematic than Geordo and basically just spinning its wheels since it's not much different from previous arcs, though it does do more world-building by also introducing Geordo's family and starts pushing Katarina in a direction of what she wants to do after graduating. The second arc is better since it does start pushing Katarina in a slightly more self-aware direction (she's still very dense though) and starts setting up what is presumably the new big plot arc the story is going in as it sets up the seeds for more Dark Magic stuff. Both arcs do start pushing Katarina's harem to try harder too (enough to break through her density to a degree), and presumably the next school year will continue that pattern of focusing around a character breaking though Katarina's density, but that's all that's translated at the moment officially so I can't say really say outside of the synopsis calling the next volume Fortune Lover 2. There's a few short stories that could be sprinkled in there, but I think s1 showed most of them. I would guess for a 3rd arc in there too, just cause a few characters do get sidelined during these 2 arcs but I can't really judge till that next volume gets released.

Based off otome game conventions though, I would guess external threats from other nations start creeping into the storyline.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

tsob posted:

I'm 100% sure that it was Sirius. I assume that he attends the school because of his documented skill in Wind Magic. The magician with Dark Magic only served to augment, not replace, his existing powers.

Of course, it could be the case that Sirius actually has no powers whatsoever and his magical ability stems solely through the magician. But I have the feeling that the magician wouldn't bother saving Katarina and co, since that would not advance his goals of revenge.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you are probably putting more thought into that episode than anyone involved with making it. it didn't make sense to begin with.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Speaking of making sense, what did Sirius want with Catarina again? Didn't he want to take revenge on whoever killed his mother? What did Catarina have to do with any of it?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

macabresca posted:

Speaking of making sense, what did Sirius want with Catarina again? Didn't he want to take revenge on whoever killed his mother? What did Catarina have to do with any of it?

She got in the way of the ghost's plans by being nice to Raphael. No more, no less.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

macabresca posted:

Mostly just triggering his PTSD whenever she talked about his tea like his mom did. With a side order of 'revenge ghost wants to burn it all down'.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

starbucks hermit posted:

I'm 100% sure that it was Sirius. I assume that he attends the school because of his documented skill in Wind Magic. The magician with Dark Magic only served to augment, not replace, his existing powers.

Of course, it could be the case that Sirius actually has no powers whatsoever and his magical ability stems solely through the magician. But I have the feeling that the magician wouldn't bother saving Katarina and co, since that would not advance his goals of revenge.

I would assume he has magic of some kind outside the dark magic, since he's the illegitimate child of a noble and also working in the Department of Magic after losing his dark magic; I just don't recall it being alluded to at any point. Plus, he'd have had to have some kind of normal magic to explain his attendance at a school for magic in the first place. Do they ever mention or demonstrate what kind of magic he uses though?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The anime didn't technically cover this so I'll spoiler it but we're past the point in the manga where this is brought up so I wouldn't worry about it being any sort of spoiler to the anime only watchers.

Users of dark magic can have up to two magic sources including dark. it's in addition to any existing magical ability they have. Normally a person can only have one elemental source of magic.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Bisexual icon queens for sale:
https://twitter.com/hobbysearch_jpn/status/1278528530406469632

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Most important detail in the third picture: It comes with Earth Bump.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

OK, that's hilarious. It looks like a muffin to me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I assume it goes in one of the pegs, but yeah

Considering how she likes to snarf muffins off the ground though :ohdear:

e: also they should stop making nendos I am legally required to buy, please, my family is dying

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
https://archiveofourown.org/works/24875653

Fortune Lover but it's a creepy pasta.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just binged the season and loved it. Going off what someone suggested earlier, if she was in a Fire Emblem game it would most likely look like Fates but this time it would actually work as the main character is endearingly dumb rather then Corrin's brand of idiocy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Here's another "I binged" post so... I binged through the show on Crunchyroll and I really enjoyed it. Got a lot of laughs and some feels. Until the reveal I was predicting that Catarina was in a coma from her accident and was just living out a fantasy of her favorite game and when she "won" she'd wake up. But nope, she was killed and the fact that the show made a point to bring up the people she left behind and the effect her death had on them was the main source of the show's feels. I'm not exactly sure how a second season would work without it being a different kind of genre but whatever. I really like the characters so spending more time with them wouldn't be a bad thing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goddammit Mary, stop flexing so much. :colbert:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

Goddammit Mary, stop flexing so much. :colbert:

She knows the go to solution for many of lives problems should Katarina ever be threatened.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Source for that fanart.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/DgHuijG.mp4

she's back

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:toot:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
God bless God's perfect idiot

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
New Episode is good, Mary will harness the Dark Hadou, The new brothers seem fun and the new ED is....something magical.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Yawgmoft posted:

God bless God's perfect idiot

God bless the densest object in the universe.

SeanGaffney
Mar 16, 2002
Nomad of the Time Streams

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

New Episode is good, Mary will harness the Dark Hadou, The new brothers seem fun and the new ED is....something magical.

That ED is probably the OP. Not uncommon for a first episode that has to cut a credits sequence for time.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I love how during the recap when it gets to Maria it has her blushing ever more profusely and yet the obvious conclusion is that that just means that she wants to be friends.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
There was a lack of cute and dumb shows recently, glad this is back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

pointlessone posted:

There was a lack of cute and dumb shows recently, glad this is back!