Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goddammit I already had a thread in the making for this.

Well, no matter, for as long as Bakarina gets the proper love she deserves, it's all cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

Legosi vs Bakarina dumb-off
Here we are using a character's name vs a nickname bestowed upon the character by the fandom. That's like the most one-sided fight you can have.

Also, once the creditless OP is released, we're going to need a gif of the "Inner Mind" Catarinas turning their faces to the camera.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That was, most likely, Julias' handiwork. :ssh:

Also no worries: when it comes to threads, the "You Snooze, You Lose" is still in order.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's the thing about Katarina: She's not traditionally "dumb" and can actually apply herself when it comes to things that are at the very least relevant to her goals. But she has the social graces of a high-school-aged dork that likes VN's. Basically I'd compare her to something like, say, a survival horror protag getting transplanted to a silly harem romcom series. She sticks out like a sore thumb.

Fangz posted:

From this episode, I see why this series is called Bakarina
And I wouldn't have it any other way! :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

Or perhaps an action movie protagonist put in a high school comedy?
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu/the Side Story Novels for FMP! were so fun. :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I have it on high authority that it was the "Death by Butt" incident that sealed the deal. :colbert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Any brother-related shenanigans have one quick resolution. We all know this. :colbert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shyrka posted:

I actually really liked it and it was bugging me that it sounded so familiar so I looked the VA up. She's done a ton of stuff that shows some decent range but she's pretty much doing the same voice as she did for Visha in Youjo Senki. Personal opinion whether that works for you I guess.
Saori Hayami is pretty drat good. I don't know if I like her as much as Nao Toyama (Yui in My RomCom SNAFU, Celica in Fire Emblem), Aoi Yuuki (Madoka, Hibiki in Symphogear and Tanya in Youjo Senki) or even Maaya Uchida herself (Bakarina, Hiyori in Noragami, Sharena in Fire Emblem Heroes :kimchi:), but she's consistently good. Especially when she's allowed to unleash the ham even a little bit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwNTy9Y_P5U

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

el dorito posted:

imagine having Catarina as your daughter and getting a report card that says something like:

• Catarina Claes
  • 4th Grade
  • Teacher's note:
  • Consistently reads and comprehends literature at the 12th grade or higher, but difficult to keep her interest
  • Wonders aloud why the school library doesn't carry Danielle Steel
  • Possibly has IBS! :eng101:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Pepper posted:

Pretty sure her parents think she got Brain Damage from the fall.

(Heck she might actually have Brain Damage)
So what you're saying is that she's the Goku of Isekai Protags?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Learn Toy Snake-fu. :hai:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tamba posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nHd3xfDzTg8

The most amazing thing about this scene is that she recorded all of it in a single take (and in fact in the first take after one test run).
Yeah, I'm familiar with the Inou-Battle rant. Funniest thing is that the guy she's venting at is voiced by Nobuhiko Okamoto, a guy who's not shy about conjuring hosed-up/hot-blooded noises off his pipes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-zGnLZY7BI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDGYkpWvhRs

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So what you're saying is that Anne is to Katarina what Hayasaka is to Kaguya?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy smokes, I'm seriously considering swapping my dumb farmboi for Mustacherina. :kimchi:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Supersonic Shine posted:

Can't wait for the war arc where Katarina spills countless gallons of blood in defense of her beloved friends, forcing her to confront the fact that despite all her efforts, she's become the dark-hearted villainess whose decisions she was trying to avoid.

I'm only kidding, of course. Katarina would capture the hearts of the enemy prince and princess and end the war before it even happened.
Katarina Klaes: The real Phantom Thief. :black101:

Electric Phantasm posted:

Finally got around to watching this and reading the thread. People were talking about the game earlier, is Fortune Lover a real game or is this an adaptation of a game?

Also I'm glad it seems like lovable morons are in, everything I'm following has at least one as a main character.
It's dumbasses all the way down.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, now it's time to imagine the Three Houses spin-off with Bakarina instead of Edelgard.
That sounds like a dumber version of Fates.

I would play that version. I love dumb strategy games too much. :cripes:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, let's cool it with spoilers from stuff that's probably coming. Things that are probably getting the "cutting room floor" treatment (like I'm sure Anne's backstory is not getting elaborated upon).

Some spoilers are more than welcome, though! Like this. Katarina is a big, adorable dumbass.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nipponophile posted:

Whoa! I hadn't gotta to that part yet! :mad:
Now that I'm in the mood to be nasty, here's another spoiler for you, buster! Her tummy gets upset easily due to her poor dietary habits.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, dogs having it out for her.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Phantasm posted:

Just realized Shouta Aoi is singing the ED.

The song being called BAD END makes it better considering what happens to him in Gal & Dino.
Yeah, Shouta Aoi has a very distinct, high-pitched voice. Sorta like Ayumu Murase (Iruma-kun, Hinata in Haikyuu!!), and it's also the main voice he uses for singing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Something I was noticing while watching the OP that makes me like Katarina even more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00zguIZOXlA&t=80s

I know it's not a big detail, but the fact that almost everyone gets the salute/respectful bow/curtsy right and she just goes for the showman route is charming AF. :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Katarino has a ton of "no fucks to give" energy with that poo poo-eating grin. :allears:

Also holy poo poo, they loving dethroned Kaguya and the Prez? Can Bakarina be stopped? :aaaaa:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, of her male love interests, he does have the most developed relationship with her so far. That axe scene probably made an impression.
I'm wondering what impressed Keith the most. Katarina "Here's Johnny!"'ing the door or facing the terrible wrath of their mom?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Supersonic Shine posted:

Katarina leaving everyone in her mist was great. At this point, I'm pretty sure she could body slam anyone trying to kill her like Hogan did to Andre.
:byodood: "Whatchoo gonna do, when the Katarinamania, in all its exuberant denseness, runs wild on you?!"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mordaedil posted:

You might be reading too much dark poo poo if you think it was a statement about intent to rape.
Pretty much. Like the Prince is being a giant pushy douchenozzle and he does have those "pushy rear end in a top hat" vibes, but I'm thinking it's less "Rapey fuckhead" and more that "The girl I like is literally incapable of reading between the lines". Curiously enough, I'm thinking that a lot of that behavior has to do with the fact that Katarina is no longer the villainess herself like in the Visual Novel, so maybe the isekai is trying to auto-correct itself and now the Prince is the villain? :tinfoil:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 11, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lead out in cuffs posted:

You mean like "history", "the news", and "the lived experiences of women I know"?
I know bro. Too loving well, at that. :sympathy:

On the flipside of things and to try and keep it show-centric, do take into account that, while the Prince is indeed a pushy rear end in a top hat, Keith is himself not completely unbiased on wanting to keep Bakarina to himself.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my god. That's so silly and yet so accurate. :cawg:

I kinda want to see a continuation of what's happening with the inner council.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
In addition to Arist's post, NDA's are no bullshit. They find you saying "Hey, I voiced/recorded/did scripts/etcetera for X, Y and/or Z!" before it's officially out, you can get loving canned. Like if you have a legit senior/mentor in any type of sector of the entertainment industry, first rule they tell you about should be "Shut the gently caress up and keep your head down. Once this is announced in Comiket/SDCC/NAMM/ETC, then you can run your mouth dry". Like unless you have 1000% job security/are "too big to fail", just play it safe.

ninja edit: (Source: Recording Engineer/Composer/Arranger)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bang? :confused:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Jeannie Tirado was cool as Kae in Kiss Him, Not me! so I approve of that casting choice.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Cool, Kira Buckland's in this. It's always good to see someone who started off voicing Retsupurae-bait flash games succeed at life.

And I'm showing my age but it's weird to see Melissa Fahn credited for Digimon instead of Cowboy Bebop.
To be fair, she's appeared in like 4 different Digimon series.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pyrotoad posted:

Oooh there's some real veterans in there.
Reminder that the Fruits Basket 2019 reimagining is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkT_j-46fWE

Also, while at first I was skeptic, Takahiro Sakurai has been phenomenal as the hilariously self-centered Ayame.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

EDIT: And as a Dungeon Meshi fan I'm kinda annoyed we never got to learn whether the mushrooms were toxic or not.
What does your heart tells you?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

That Katarina x Mushrooms is going to be in the next top 10 list. But that doesn't really answer my question.
Bah! :mad:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, Master and Lord can get iffy. For example:

In one of my favorite games of all time, during the prologue we get this exchange between our MC and one of the Kingdom's nobles that's ranked way above him, and yet the redhead is nothing if not courteous towards our MC. So as long as it conveys the sufficient amount of respect it seems like fair game.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Did that get an official translation?
Nope! And it's probably going to remain that way.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, she used to wear it "properly" on the back of her head. Now she wears it behind her left ear:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nephthys posted:

I always thought it was pretty standard for harems to not really have much of a plot and just continue for as long as the premise allowed it to. Ranma had 143 episodes according to google.
Sort of a digression more than a reply to you, but Ranma is like 170 episodes, plus OVA's, plus a couple of movies and TV specials. I think the 143 episodes you mention is because the first season/first series are counted apart

The one that has this OP...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syd129Vla0Q

That's the first series (aired from mid-April to mid-September '89), which also seems to have an art style that's a little closer to Takahashi's own, and also covers a lot of what the manga had released at that point (like the manga had like 7 Volumes out by then and the first series covered pretty much everything from Volumes 1 through 4 with no filler whatsoever.

The 2nd OP (which I'm remote-linking because of the first couple of :nws: seconds) is the 2nd series/2nd season which has the subtitle "Fierce Battle Story Arc" basically started airing like 2 months after the first series was done. It has the more recognizable art-style in all the OP's and, while it kept Kawai on the music composition and a couple of the OG producers, I think most of the main staff was replaced.

Also, like Sailor Moon, it had a ton of filler and it presented a couple of things differently. Funny thing, though. While it has a lot of filler, a ton of it worked really well on its favor. Strangest thing to get lost in the shuffle but then re-added back to the series, though?

This scrawny boi right here. He's one of the most recurring side characters who show up in the manga fairly early on. Like probably at the start of the material covered by the 2nd series/2nd season. However, in the anime he doesn't show up until like the midway point. Most of his early appearances he was either replaced by one-shot characters or...

This goofball of a ninja right here. It's weird because they keep most of his introduction episode basically the same, too.

While nowhere near as attached to it as Magic Knight Rayearth, Sailor Moon or Slam Dunk (or slightly later on, Yu Yu Hakusho), Ranma was one of the first series that I followed devotedly and was instrumental in helping me follow my goofy but extremely effective practice regimen of playing guitar along with a series.

Okay, dumb Ranma half-digression, half-effort-post done. Long live Bakarina, the real harem queen.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

I genuinely think Maria is mostly on Katarina's wavelength. That's a girl who actually thinks an afternoon of harvesting vegetables with her crush is an ideal way to spend the day.
I mean, that sounds pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goddammit Mary, stop flexing so much. :colbert: