Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Mary isn't even her rival, she's just a rival alongside Catarina to go up against the main character.

Although Mary is too ridiculously pure to be taken seriously as a rival, at least Catarina can manage a proper evil face!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Yeah maybe it's from reading too many self insert fanfics but I really like how Catarina consistently contextualises it as 'I got memories of a past life in Japan' rather than 'I got reincarnated in a magical fantasy world'.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Eeepies posted:

Is it just me, or does Maria sound off-putting? I wouldn't attribute that voice to Maria, which so far is the only minor complaint i have about this excellent series.

I actually really liked it and it was bugging me that it sounded so familiar so I looked the VA up. She's done a ton of stuff that shows some decent range but she's pretty much doing the same voice as she did for Visha in Youjo Senki. Personal opinion whether that works for you I guess.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

super-redguy posted:

I'm pretty sure the joke is that literally every otome game protagonist is voiced by Saori Hayami, so it's no different here.

I didn't know that, but that's a good joke!

Honestly I really like Maria. I mean she's totally a perfect nice girl Mary Sue protagonist type, where you think she'd be kind of bland and thus less interesting than the more well rounded capture targets and rivals, but she still brings something to every scene she's in.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

el dorito posted:

Your post really got me thinkin' this a little deeper. This story does a good job of generally capturing the repercussions of how a (relatively) believable mary sue's attributes (particularly the "poor me" aspects and the capture target scenarios) would form the Maria we see today.

She is bland, but very believably bland.

Maria will get fleshed out immensely in the coming episodes, if the light novel beats are followed

Yeah, I guess I worded it wrong by saying she's not bland, what I should have said is she's not a cipher. Her blandness is a legitimate part of her character and how she deals with a world that alternately wants to tear her down or put her on a pedestal and it comes across as authentic rather than just her being an audience surrogate. Thus she's interesting!

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

jimmydalad posted:

Stuff about Anne.

There's also an amusing bit in the spin off manga where Catarina doesn't get her past life memories until after she's arrived at the academy and started bullying Maria. In that version of events (and thus in Fortune Lover itself since this occurs before the game starts) villainess Catarina basically says, "Anne makes my life so easy so of course she's coming to the Academy with me," and only finds out later from her mother that her insistence had forced the marriage talks to be broken off. Armed with past-life perspective and knowledge of the game she apologises to Anne for getting in the way of her marriage/independent life without realising she'd basically given Anne a lifeline that she was all too happy to grab onto.

Catarina's perspective:

Anne's perspective:

I like that because it shows how even when she's a villainess, she's still that kind of dense person who doesn't quite get the impact she has on other people's lives. The line between our lovable doof and the cruel villainess of the original game isn't quite so clear cut.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So one interesting thing that came up in this episode is that magic apparently has a strong hereditary component to it. That means that nobles don't just have to produce more heirs, they also have to produce more magic users. The series has been pretty gay so far. It'll be interesting to see how it handles the difficulties of being gay in a world where the characters are all expected to breed.

I know elemental magic systems are kinda generic as is, but it sort of tickles me just how easily Fortune Lover's world would fit into Familiar of Zero's. Just swap Light for Void, the early renaissance magical aristocracy theme is otherwise right there. I think Motherina and Karin would be friends.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Not to have any spoilers, but we are about to head into a story arc, so it's not all slice of life stuff.

There is a story arc that involves stuff beyond the romance route and doom flags Catarina's obsessed with and it's likely to start next episode.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

The earth bump joke in the episode was hilarious, but I was still disappointed Catarina didn't actually save herself by using earth bump to make ledges to climb back up after she fell over the edge of that pit.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

That loving wall-slam.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

I was a little disappointed that the Anne flashback had young Catarina as the one preventing her arranged marriage. I liked it more with her about to go to the magic school and wanting to make sure Anne stayed with her, it feels like it has more meaning if they've had several years together when it happens.

All the stuff Sophia wanted to be reborn as was pretty great but nowhere near as on point as Mary's unhesitating, "Someone of higher status than Prince Geord."

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Kind of disappointed they changed the confrontation from how it was in the manga. Maria's "We're not done talking!" line after the memory erasure fakeout really struck with me and it doesn't pack the same punch the way they did it here.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

starbucks hermit posted:

True. Isekai Catarina is already the main love interest, if not protagonist, and it makes complete sense for her to perform the rescue in the Anime's timeline. But, assuming that you're Acchan in modern Japan and you're just playing the game on your pc, how would the lead up to the confrontation with Sirius look like? Because original game Catarina would have already been killed or exiled or etc at this point. It makes more sense for literally anyone else to do the rescue.

I like to think about the actual mechanics of Fortune Lover. Is it a pure visual novel or does it have a stat/schedule system where you have to select activities for Maria each day that raise her parameters in certain areas while also having a chance at provoking events with certain characters. Like you have to do lots of Library activities to raise your intelligence stat and those also provoke lots of Sophia encounters for the Nicol route (and having high intelligence is necessary for the Alan route too), or some sort of Explore/Goof Around activity that raises your whimsy stat and leads to Geordo encounters.

So for the Sirius route you probably need to grind your magic stat really hard so you can detect his dark magic (and probably have completed all four main routes on the same save file), but then when you confront him if you try to use that overpowered magic of yours to fight him you still lose and he goes and kills everyone for the bad end, so you've got to let him kidnap you so you can reverse-stockholm syndrome him during the captivity events.

Shyrka fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 14, 2020

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Yeah the feeling I get is that unless you're on the Alan/Nicol route you just see Mary and Sophia maybe once or twice, whereas Catarina gets recurring 'bully' events throughout the game just as part of establishing school life, as well as Keith and Geordo specific events when you're on their routes.

Then the devs announce the Catarina route DLC and there's mass uproar from the fans about it white-washing her bullying. Until they play it and discover Catarina has become a lovable airhead who steals Geordo and Keith's events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't think it needs to be a "which is better" contest. both are different takes on the same scenario, and I really find it interesting in the hardmode version where she doesn't have the chance to completely derail a character's original growth during childhood. like, Keith is the playboy he was originally instead of the sister-obsessive he turned into in bakarina, and her having to somehow overcome his traumatic upbringing sounds like it'll be interesting. plus I like the new characters it adds like the bully girl who has been completely wooed by catarina

also I like gerald being puzzled but intrigued by catarina's change rather than obsessed with her

both series are good

I felt like hardmode was a bit too easy at first with her being able to befriend Maria and Mary and pique Gerald's interest, but I did like that when Keith came into the spotlight Mary straight up told her, "Look, I got bullied by my siblings and it was poo poo and if they suddenly started acting nice to me I still wouldn't forgive them and honestly I'd just be even more uncomfortable."

He probably will easily forgive her, but still love my girl Mary spitting out the harsh truths!